Dynadot

Dynadot Inconsistent With Domain Restores

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I was notified 2/9/2018 that one of my domains had been won at Dynadot auction by a bidder for $1k+, so I requested that the domain be renewed within hours of auction close. If the grace period had expired, then the restore option should still be available to me. To which Dynadot support told me:

Domains only enter into redemption period if they are not picked up in the expired auction. Your domain was purchased in the expired auction.
If this is true what to make of this thread where members share their stories of Dynadot domains going back to the original owners after the auctions had been won? A domain was also moved out of my account after I'd won it at auction, Order ID 3974528.

So is there an algorithm in place where certain members can get back their domains post-Dynadot auction? If someone was able to be able to do it to me then I should be offered the same privilege. Since I've been screwed twice by this inconsistent application of post-auction renewals, @Dynadot
  • I want to renew my domain. You've let other members act upon domains in my account I've won, I should be allowed to do the same.
  • If there's an algorithm deciding who gets to renew post-auction and who doesn't, I think that you should transparently state what it is.
I want my domain back. Please don't make me regret working with a local company.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I was notified 2/9/2018 that one of my domains had been won at Dynadot auction by a bidder for $1k+, so I requested that the domain be renewed within hours of auction close. If the grace period had expired, then the restore option should still be available to me. To which Dynadot support told me:

Domains only enter into redemption period if they are not picked up in the expired auction. Your domain was purchased in the expired auction.
If this is true what to make of this thread where members share their stories of Dynadot domains going back to the original owners after the auctions had been won? A domain was also moved out of my account after I'd won it at auction, Order ID 3974528.

So is there an algorithm in place where certain members can get back their domains post-Dynadot auction? If someone was able to be able to do it to me then I should be offered the same privilege. Since I've been screwed twice by this inconsistent application of post-auction renewals, @Dynadot
  • I want to renew my domain. You've let other members act upon domains in my account I've won, I should be allowed to do the same.
  • If there's an algorithm deciding who gets to renew post-auction and who doesn't, I think that you should transparently state what it is.
I want my domain back. Please don't make me regret working with a local company.

Inconsistent always existed and I have talk about this topic 2 years ago.

.tv domain renewal grace period: 45 days

I successfully transfer a .tv domain from Godaddy to Key-Systems on the DAY 42 of grace period after domain expired around 5 years ago.

Dynadot will transfer your .tv domain to the expired auction winner on DAY40 of grace period. They will not give back the domain to the original owner, even the owner open a ticket explained that the grace period is indeed 45 days for .tv and he had the experience transfer same extension domain on the DAY 42 of grace period.

The underlying reason Dynadot shorten the grace period is because they want to make money without taking any risk.

Last edited:
•••
•••
You missed the link in my OP. It's actually possible to do a restore as laid out in their docs:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/what-is-a-restore

You have about a month ("30 days usually") after the grace period ends to renew at a higher cost.

yes I saw the link... but I don't think you read my link.. where it clarifies further that if name sells on auction, the restore period is voided.

"
  • Some expired domains will be sold at auction in the Expired Auctions in our Marketplace. If this is the case with your domain, there will be no redemption period though you will still have your full renewal grace period to renew before the domain is lost entirely.

•••
Weird. Would be interested to know as well. Usually after you win an auction they give the current owner a couple of days to renew the domain.

If they renew it you get refunded. Happened to me a couple of times after winning an auction.

•••
well.. godaddy used to do that... now they changed policy after many complaints... and when a name is regged on godaddy, they don't let you renew it or transfer it... and this happens ON THE DOT on day -30 or up.. as soon as there is a bid on it... not -40 like dyna

so I think dyna still doing pretty good compasred to some others hehhe

Last edited:
•••
So this is a touchy issue, as a buyer w want certainty that the name cant be pulled back by the existing owner....but as a seller we want mercy and rights to get it back.

so the big thing in play here is the "mention" that others have won names, and have had them pulled back when the original owner renews.

i think ive had that happen to me, wonder if whether buyer has paid.

do you mind me asking how did you find out the name had sold for $1000+ did the new owner try to sell it back to you?

Page

•••
•••
@alcy
You're right, they've setup the system so the restore option disappears.

My contact with them requesting renewal was on the 40th day but they can split hairs and say I was 1 hour and 26 minutes too late. It's unethical ($1K > $10 late fee) that @Dynadot is more $ focused than customer focused, but I'll need to consult a professional to see if I have any other recourse.

•••
•••
I thought you had 10 days from the date it goes to redemption and you have the option of paying a late fee of $10, irrespective of it being won in an auction? I have had domains where I won, redeemed/restored by prior owners.

•••
@alcy
You're right, they've setup the system so the restore option disappears.

My contact with them requesting renewal was on the 40th day but they can split hairs and say I was 1 hour and 26 minutes too late. It's unethical ($1K > $10 late fee) that @Dynadot is more $ focused than customer focused, but I'll need to consult a professional to see if I have any other recourse.

Dynadot is top notch in the old day. I would say they are the best

- At the time they offer API access for $500/year account but they don't offer backorder service directly.
Reason: Now the API is become useless.

- At the time they don't have their own expired domain auction.
Reason: Now customer no longer enjoy full grace period. The redemption period is gone. The $10 fee is added.

•••
...Reason: Now customer no longer enjoy full grace period. The redemption period is gone. The $10 fee is added.
What $10 fee?

•••
•••
Hi ya'll, sorry for missing this post.

To clarify, Dynadot doesn't have an algorithm to choose who can and cannot renew domains if won in auction. The way it works is standard across the board. Original owners have their renewal grace period whether the domain is won in auction or not, so as long as the domain is renewed before the grace period ends (and this is currently time stamped from when the domain was registered, meaning if it was registered at 1:15pm the grace period will end at 1:15pm on the last day of the grace period) the original owner can recover their domain and the auction will be cancelled.

We certainly see both sides of the argument and we're trying to be fair to both parties. To help the domain from going to auction as well is our auto-renew feature. It's easy to set up and our support is always happy to help with anything.

Thanks!

•••
$10 late fee for renewal:xf.frown:
Actually, there are 2 issues to keep in mind concerning renewals and transfers:

First: as opposed to most other registrars, Dynadot locks up your domain tight after expiry date - even if you had already unlocked it and got the Auth-code before the expiry date!

Secondly: Dynadot allows you to renew up to 40 days past expiry. However, they arbitrarily surcharge the $10 fee @kam mentioned, starting on the 30th or 31st day after expiry.

Summing up:

They're a business and need to make money. And I need a domainer-friendly registrar. After getting charged over $20 for renewing a .org that I had unlocked and had Auth-code in hand, I decided not to risk a repeat performance and will be transferring my 300 domains out.

•••
Dynadot.. you don't want a mass exodus and we like your service.

Please consider waving the late fee for high spend accounts. (1k or more a year)

Alternatively, let folks renew multiple domains and only pay ONE late fee.

I like the first better, though.

Any Dynadot rep wanna contact me to discuss my situation please PM

•••
The best solution is to renew or move your domains before expiration. All registrars have some sort of clawback charge so good luck getting out of that. I suggest you read all terms and conditions that are plainly stated and realize you made the mistake not the registrar.

In essence you didn’t care if the domain dropped until you saw it sold for 1K. How is that the registrar’s fault?

•••
The best solution is to renew or move your domains before expiration. All registrars have some sort of clawback charge so good luck getting out of that. I suggest you read all terms and conditions that are plainly stated and realize you made the mistake not the registrar.

In essence you didn’t care if the domain dropped until you saw it sold for 1K. How is that the registrar’s fault?
My thoughts exactly. I still don't understand why people voluntarily wait for their names to expire and go into auction before renewing them. Waiting for someone out there to bid, thus, validating their names isn't just right.

Decide beforehand your valuable names and renew them before they expire.

•••
When I noticed the new policy of the $10. charge at DynaDot for renewing past 30 days, I was careful not to let it get past that. Lately I renew all my domains anywhere from 1 - 3 months early so this isn’t an issue.

The $10. fee is not, as Domains-Wanted stated, “arbitrary” - that implies inconsistent imposition, or something that isn’t universal or expected. It is applied consistently - it’s in their TOS - expect it if you try to renew past 30 days.

As far as if the domain sells at auction this doesn’t affect the grace period. Doesn’t shorten it.

Another thread complaining about an existing policy. It’s okay to complain but claiming that a policy was violated when it was not is not okay. There is no inconsistency at DynaDot.

If there is any inconsistency there would be with what Kam describes with his having been allowed in the past to save his domain past 40 days at some other registrar (not DynaDot). Just because that happened doesn’t mean should expect it always.

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot.. you don't want a mass exodus and we like your service.

Please consider waving the late fee for high spend accounts. (1k or more a year)

Alternatively, let folks renew multiple domains and only pay ONE late fee.

I like the first better, though.

Any Dynadot rep wanna contact me to discuss my situation please PM

I will pass the request on to the team, but at this time we wouldn't be able to waive any late renewal fees unfortunately.

•••
It appears there are some issues, I received an email this morning where they removed the name from my account but never refunded me.

"Dear (name) ,

Due to an operational error, the domain (DOMAINNAME.com) was mistakenly transferred to you, the winning bidder of the expired auction, when in fact it was renewed by the original registrant. We apologize for the inconvenience and your account has been refunded the full domain cost.

Thank you for your business. We hope we may serve you again soon. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Support Team"

•••
@Dynadot

you should remove the late fee of $10.
for super bulk users.. but hopefully for ALL users.
in the long run this will make you way more money, as people will renew with you and not trasnfer out between days 30-40... like they do now.

I also would appreciate for my times sake and your support time's sake, to allow all members like they allow on most registrars, for ourselves to unlock expired names.. and get codes etc... and not have to email support each other. it is utterly pointless for my time and your time.

yoru super bulk user,
thanks!!!

•••
Agree with waiving of the $10 late fees. Have considered moving the domains to another registrar because of the same reason.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back