IT.COM

.tv Don't buy icelandic.tv until the problem solved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Background story:

On 9 Feb, I found there is no way for me to renew the domain name icelandic.tv on day40 of the grace period. I opened a support ticket and the staff of Dynadot said the time stamp has passed. They refuse to help me.

On the same day, I carefully read the term and condition on Dynadot which make me believed that I am entitled to renew or restore my domain within the official renew grace period.
#############

Quota from:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/renewal-grace-period
Some expired domains will be sold at auction in the Expired Auctions in our Marketplace. If this is the case with your domain, there will be no redemption period though you will still have your full renewal grace period to renew before the domain is lost entirely.

Quota from:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/expired-auctions
In rare cases, a domain won at auction will not be added to your account because it was renewed by the original registrant. If this occurs, your account will credited the full amount of the order. Because of the nature of the life-cycle of a domain, we must auction expiring domains at the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period.
#################

Dynadot clearly stated that they will wait until the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period, as well as they allow the customer having a full renewal grace period.

The description "still have your full renewal grace period" . , the word 'full' explicit it will not shorten by any artificial means.

The words "the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period" clear enough to explicit it's 45 DAY.

Verisign is the only registry of .tv Domain. According to verisign website, they provide 45 days renew grace period.
https://www.verisign.com/en_US/chan...ain-registrar/domain-registration/index.xhtml

-------------------------
In this review website, it's worth to take a look what Todd said on 8/18/2016
https://www.yelp.com/biz/dynadot-san-mateo

Quote from:

Comment from Todd H. of Dynadot
Business Owner
8/18/2016 We apologize for any confusion regarding our expired domain auctions. Although we do place expired domains in our auctions, the original registrant is still given the full renewal grace period of 40 days to renew their domain. This renewal grace period is a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar. We try to ensure that registrants have every opportunity to renew their domain, which is why we start sending out domain renewal notices 60 days before the domain's expiration date and we also offer an auto-renew service at no additional charge. We hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact us directly if you like to further discuss.

----------------

Based on the above finding.

The CEO of Dynadot has clearly illustrated what's a full renewal grace period means. "It's a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar."
In this comment he use 40 day as an example because 40 days is very common for Tld.

That's what made all of us think Dynadot is one of the best registrars.
They had a fair policy without depreciate the rights of original domain registrant.
They provide full renewal grace period.

So, I opened a support ticket again and told the staff I am entitled to get my domain back.
I am entitled to renew / restore my domain within that 45 days.

In the Dynadot website, It 's really clearly stated that if the domain renewed by the original registrant in that full grace period , which is 45 days for .tv domain. The domain will not transfer to the winner of the expired auction buyer.

However, even I told them I am willing to pay the restore fee of 94.99 to get my domain back. The staff of the Dynadot keep saying that they can't help me in this situation. It has passed the 40 days grace period set by them.

This is the last e-mail response from Dynadot.
They are so greedy now and refused to give the domain back to me.

Hello,

Each registrar will have their own renewal grace period, and ours happens to be 40 days, which is more than many other companies offer. Our intention is not to depreciate the rights of original domain owners. In fact, we currently offer the 40-day grace period so domain owners have a large amount of time to grace renew in case they let is slip by mistake.

Because the domain icelandic.tv was won in the auction, the domain is not available to restore. I would be happy to contact the new owner on your behalf to see if they are willing to work something out to get the domain back to you. However, I cannot guarantee anything.

Also, I do see the $100 credit in your account. Our system would not renew the domains for you unless you have auto-renew set up. I highly recommend using this feature for your other domains so you do not have to worry about manually submitting renewals in your account. With the auto-renew feature turned on, our system will renew the domains 30 days in advance and give you plenty of time to contact us if there is ever an issue with your domains/account.

“How do I set my domains to auto-renew?”

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/set-auto-renew

I am very sorry you lost your domain, and I hope you know we do appreciate your business. If you have any questions about our policies and grace periods in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Peyton Moore

Dynadot Management Team

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Kam,

May I ask with all due respect and not trying to take this off subject but what is so special about the domain this name - archive.org shows very few captures the most recent being October 16, 2016 at which time it was simply parked at sedo am I correct? Alexa shows no traffic for this domain name and DA /PA score is 1 and I can't find any backlinks to this domain. No offense but I personally don't put too much value in the domain name at all based on the keyword and extension.

What is the big deal or loss here? No disrespect I just don't get it that's all why not just move on....

If you received good offers on it in the past perhaps you should have taken them and it doesn't mean you will continue to receive good offers on the domain if you renewed it in the future

Last edited:
•••
I agree with OP.

The wording ("full renewal grace period of 40 days" vs. "time set by the registry") is contradicting and leaves DD in a valid hotspot, to be fair. I also believe (and I doubt that OP will disagree) that it's a flaw/loophole that OP was actively seeking out, knowing that he was at fault for failing to renew in-time.

The bottom line IMO is that OP has a rightfully valid argument in terms of the contradicting wording - and DD's final decision will undoubtedly reflect on whether they're willing to admit their contradiction or treat OP like a nobody (they'd listen more intently if it was the US President).

NB * the reason(s) for OP's failure to renew in-time has nothing to do with the contradiction in their wording.

•••
I agree with OP.

The wording ("full renewal grace period of 40 days" vs. "time set by the registry") is contradicting and leaves DD in a valid hotspot, to be fair. I also believe (and I doubt that OP will disagree) that it's a flaw/loophole that OP was actively seeking out, knowing that he was at fault for failing to renew in-time.

The bottom line IMO is that OP has a rightfully valid argument in terms of the contradicting wording - and DD's final decision will undoubtedly reflect on whether they're willing to admit their contradiction or treat OP like a nobody (they'd listen more intently if it was the US President).

NB * the reason(s) for OP's failure to renew in-time has nothing to do with the contradiction in their wording.

Hi Kam,

May I ask with all due respect and not trying to take this off subject but what is so special about the domain this name - archive.org shows very few captures the most recent being October 16, 2016 at which time it was simply parked at sedo am I correct? Alexa shows no traffic for this domain name and DA /PA score is 1 and I can't find any backlinks to this domain. No offense but I personally don't put too much value in the domain name at all based on the keyword and extension.

What is the big deal or loss here? No disrespect I just don't get it that's all why not just move on....

If you received good offers on it in the past perhaps you should have taken them and it doesn't mean you will continue to receive good offers on the domain if you renewed it in the future

I suggested you to read #42 and #32 too.

I had try my best to explained why 'full grace period' is so important and why we cannot let it go.
I also elaborated the underlying reason of the registrar having a 'full grace period' policy on the expired auction domain.

It's not only use to protect the original registrant but also use to protect the winner of the expired domain auction. It's also used by Dynadot to mitigate their responsibility when a lawsuit is filled.

In case of any disputed occurred. The fulfillment of 'full grace period' will substantially affected the count's finally decision.

IMO, Dynadot had consulted sophisticated solicitors help them to draft the term & condition for the expired domain auction, they're smart enough to put the 'full grace period' in it to protect themselves, their CEO knew to use the term"'(full grace period - a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar)'" to answer the victims when they complained about they lost their domain because of the auction.
However, they failed to executed the 'full grace period'.

Kam

•••
However, they failed to executed the 'full grace period'.

Kam

You got your full grace period of 40 days. Enough with this already. You agreed to their terms of 40 days and that is what you got, enough already, you aren't going to win because you aren't right.

•••
not sure if it's been mentioned, but icelandictv.com appears to be available for registration.

•••
That's right. Proof that the domain isn't that valuable and not worth the hassle.

•••
Good point Kate :) I love your "Thinking inside the Box"! Great to meet you :)

•••
That's right. Proof that the domain isn't that valuable and not worth the hassle.

Kate would love to find out more about you :) about to hit the road for a 2 hr. drive - will connect when I'm able - best, Cate (Thinking Outside The Box) :)

•••
I'd let it go and learn from it, the domain isn't worth anything anyway.

•••
can't believe i took the time and read all 3 pages of this...

and now commenting! (n)

•••
I understand where Kam is coming from with this. It is most certainly NOT about the name (which is crap) but the principle.

Kam should actually be applauded for being concerned about losing the 'full grace period' - something that might affect us all at some point.

Anyway, as the original question was:

Don't buy icelandic.tv until the problem solved

It appears, according to WHOIS, that at least one person (who isn't Kam) couldn't resist himself and bought the name.

•••
I understand where Kam is coming from with this. It is most certainly NOT about the name (which is crap) but the principle.

Kam should actually be applauded for being concerned about losing the 'full grace period' - something that might affect us all at some point.

Anyway, as the original question was:

Don't buy icelandic.tv until the problem solved

It appears, according to WHOIS, that at least one person (who isn't Kam) couldn't resist himself and bought the name.

Sad but true, many domainers didn't concerned about their legal right on their domains. Many of them are rule-follower and they just rationalize everything happened to them.

On 15 April, Dynadot will reducing the grace period by 10 days for each TLD. During the final 10 days of the TLD's renewal grace period, you will still be able to renew your domain, but with an additional late renewal fee of $10.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-changes-domain-expiration-policy-today.1006742/

Dynadot claimed they hoping this new fee will help reduce the number of expired auction orders we see cancelled due to renewal. When we set up our auction system, the cancellation rate was at 6%. That has grown greatly in recent years. It seems some Registrants would use the auctions as a way to appraise their domains before renewing.

https://www.namepros.com/posts/6046857/

=========================
IMHO, they can simply allow the registrant to opt-out from the expired auction and automatically opt-out the registrant's domains fall into expired auction in case they keep renewing their domains at the last few days of grace period.
Anyway, I don't think the extra $10 is the best way to handle it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back