Dynadot

.tv Don't buy icelandic.tv until the problem solved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Background story:

On 9 Feb, I found there is no way for me to renew the domain name icelandic.tv on day40 of the grace period. I opened a support ticket and the staff of Dynadot said the time stamp has passed. They refuse to help me.

On the same day, I carefully read the term and condition on Dynadot which make me believed that I am entitled to renew or restore my domain within the official renew grace period.
#############

Quota from:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/renewal-grace-period
Some expired domains will be sold at auction in the Expired Auctions in our Marketplace. If this is the case with your domain, there will be no redemption period though you will still have your full renewal grace period to renew before the domain is lost entirely.

Quota from:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/expired-auctions
In rare cases, a domain won at auction will not be added to your account because it was renewed by the original registrant. If this occurs, your account will credited the full amount of the order. Because of the nature of the life-cycle of a domain, we must auction expiring domains at the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period.
#################

Dynadot clearly stated that they will wait until the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period, as well as they allow the customer having a full renewal grace period.

The description "still have your full renewal grace period" . , the word 'full' explicit it will not shorten by any artificial means.

The words "the tail-end of the original registrant's Renewal Grace Period" clear enough to explicit it's 45 DAY.

Verisign is the only registry of .tv Domain. According to verisign website, they provide 45 days renew grace period.
https://www.verisign.com/en_US/chan...ain-registrar/domain-registration/index.xhtml

-------------------------
In this review website, it's worth to take a look what Todd said on 8/18/2016
https://www.yelp.com/biz/dynadot-san-mateo

Quote from:

Comment from Todd H. of Dynadot
Business Owner
8/18/2016 We apologize for any confusion regarding our expired domain auctions. Although we do place expired domains in our auctions, the original registrant is still given the full renewal grace period of 40 days to renew their domain. This renewal grace period is a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar. We try to ensure that registrants have every opportunity to renew their domain, which is why we start sending out domain renewal notices 60 days before the domain's expiration date and we also offer an auto-renew service at no additional charge. We hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact us directly if you like to further discuss.

----------------

Based on the above finding.

The CEO of Dynadot has clearly illustrated what's a full renewal grace period means. "It's a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar."
In this comment he use 40 day as an example because 40 days is very common for Tld.

That's what made all of us think Dynadot is one of the best registrars.
They had a fair policy without depreciate the rights of original domain registrant.
They provide full renewal grace period.

So, I opened a support ticket again and told the staff I am entitled to get my domain back.
I am entitled to renew / restore my domain within that 45 days.

In the Dynadot website, It 's really clearly stated that if the domain renewed by the original registrant in that full grace period , which is 45 days for .tv domain. The domain will not transfer to the winner of the expired auction buyer.

However, even I told them I am willing to pay the restore fee of 94.99 to get my domain back. The staff of the Dynadot keep saying that they can't help me in this situation. It has passed the 40 days grace period set by them.

This is the last e-mail response from Dynadot.
They are so greedy now and refused to give the domain back to me.

Hello,

Each registrar will have their own renewal grace period, and ours happens to be 40 days, which is more than many other companies offer. Our intention is not to depreciate the rights of original domain owners. In fact, we currently offer the 40-day grace period so domain owners have a large amount of time to grace renew in case they let is slip by mistake.

Because the domain icelandic.tv was won in the auction, the domain is not available to restore. I would be happy to contact the new owner on your behalf to see if they are willing to work something out to get the domain back to you. However, I cannot guarantee anything.

Also, I do see the $100 credit in your account. Our system would not renew the domains for you unless you have auto-renew set up. I highly recommend using this feature for your other domains so you do not have to worry about manually submitting renewals in your account. With the auto-renew feature turned on, our system will renew the domains 30 days in advance and give you plenty of time to contact us if there is ever an issue with your domains/account.

“How do I set my domains to auto-renew?”

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/set-auto-renew

I am very sorry you lost your domain, and I hope you know we do appreciate your business. If you have any questions about our policies and grace periods in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Peyton Moore

Dynadot Management Team

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you're looking for life lines, but as I said you entered into an agreement with them and their service level agreement that you must agree to states that there is a 40 day grace period. They are free to do whatever they want as long as they honor their agreement with YOU, not with their friends and family and preferred clients etc. is it fair? maybe not but it is legal and the onus is on you to read their agreement and act accordingly.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/renewal-grace-period
  • Some expired domains will be sold at auction in the Expired Auctions in our Marketplace. If this is the case with your domain, there will be no redemption period though you will still have your full renewal grace period to renew before the domain is lost entirely.

They used the words "full renewal grace period" in their website.

When I saw the wording 'full renewal grace period' I knew it's 45 days for .tv and .cc . I am an active .tv drop catcher during 2008~2010. I knew someone may say I misunderstood it.

Okay, In this case. Let's see how the CEO of Dynadot interpreted the 'full renewal grace period' , Todd clearly illustrated "It's a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar."

As I mention before, the 40 days of dynadot .tv grace period is used to earn extra $$$.
It should not depreciate the entitlement to having a 45 days full renewal grace period.
That 40days grace period had nothing do with that 45 days full renewal grace period.

Kam

Last edited:
•••
Why don't you just renew your domains before they expire and save yourself the trouble.

•••
Why don't you just renew your domains before they expire and save yourself the trouble.

I admitted I made a horrible mistake. That is a bad habits:xf.frown:

I am so confident to believed Dynadot will complied with the full renewal grace period they mention.

I am also so confident they will help me if something like this happened.

However, the staff of Dydadot now keep telling me they had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
•••
Not paid in time (40 days counting in seconds) = dropped = without rollback possibility. The 45 vs 40 days. The 45 days deal between VS and DD (two hierarchically different companies) has nothing to do with you. The deal between DD and You is the one you have to follow.

Kind Regards

•••
Not paid in time (40 days counting in seconds) = dropped = without rollback possibility. The 45 vs 40 days. The 45 days deal between VS and DD (two hierarchically different companies) has nothing to do with you. The deal between DD and You is the one you have to follow.

Kind Regards

Please read #26 for details.
Dynadot did explicitly stated that registrant entitlement to having a full renewal grace period, which is 45 days in my case.

•••
For TV is 40 days. Read again

•••
For TV is 40 days. Read again

No, it's not 40.

I had a working experience in the legal field and to the best of my knowledge.

Dynadot cannot handled my case in this way. It’s a basic requirement for a business to complied with law.

We are having a legally binding agreement on the matter of "full renew grace period", my rights are protected by common law in this circumstances.

It’s implied that when the advertisements of "full renew grace period" is clearly stated on the Dynadot website. It constituted an unilateral contracts among us, it’s clearly stated in common law and the advertisements of "full renew grace period" must be fulfilled.

Dynadot cannot ignored the fact that they did used the term ‘full renew grace period’ as advertisements at the time they promote their business, including but not limited to Dynadot.com and yelp.com

Moreover, the CEO of Dynadot did clearly illustrated the ‘full renew grace period’ is a standard amount of time set by the registry and it cannot be changed by us or any other registrar”. Dynadot cannot denied what they promised in any circumstances. They can’t make an excused saying that it is 40 days now.

By the way, I reviewed the term and condition in Dynadot. I assured that Dynadot will be fine if they take back the domain name from the expired auction winner. Dynadot did clearly stated that the original registrant had the right to renewal their domains within the ‘full renew grace period’, the auction winner will entitled to the domain when the ‘full renew grace period’ has ended.

=======

kam

Last edited:
•••
Kam, you're a special kind of stupid aren't you? Can you not see what everyone is telling you? You argued this to death with me yesterday and now everyone else is agreeing with me. Give it up already, you are wrong. End of story.

•••
Kam, you're a special kind of stupid aren't you? Can you not see what everyone is telling you? You argued this to death with me yesterday and now everyone else is agreeing with me. Give it up already, you are wrong. End of story.

It's because some of you are new to the business industry, you don't know how thing works in old day!

If you asking the member of having at least 10 years experience in domain industry .
I assured that 90% of them will agreed with my standpoint.

Last edited:
•••
It's because some of you are new to the business industry, you don't know how thing works in old day!

If you asking the member of having at least 10 years experience in domain industry .

I'm not new to the business industry. I'm probably older than you are. So far, not a single member on here has agreed with you, even though this thread has been viewed hundreds of times. You had an agreement with Dynadot, they kept up their end of the agreement. The fact that you cannot understand that the agreement specifically states 40 days and that someone else now owns the domain is not our problem.

•••
Imagination makes us want to see things differently. You have answer!

There is difference between logical and analytical thinking. This is normal. All of us have been there at some point.

Grief is for sharing and we all hope this information will help relax your mind!

If you feel that you need to, please go back and read again. It will help you seeing things from other peoples' perspectives.

Kind regards,

(IT since 1988 - is at least 10 years. Isn't? Thank you so much for letting me have a go :) .

•••
•••
Just remember, 3 out of 2 people don't get math :)

•••
Why leave it till the very last day to try and renew the name? My advice is to turn auto renew 'ON'

•••
If DD won't help you, maybe the new owner will. Lowball them and see if you could at least settle somewhere near the late renewal fee... I think you would be doing both parties a solid...

Last edited:
•••

dynadot.com/community/blog/2012/04/know-the-lifecycle-of-your-domain-registration-expiration-renewal-grace-delete-auction-transfer.html

Attachments

• dynadot-timeline.png
    dynadot-timeline.png
    958 KB · Views: 110
•••
Let me talk about a little bit about legal again.

Protecting the weak party has been one of the cornerstones of the development of contract law over the past century.

When a customer come to an agreement with a vendor or service provider, they have Inequality of bargaining power. The customer always had 'no say' to the term and condition. When bargaining power is persistently unequal, the concept of inequality of bargaining power serves as a justification for the implication of mandatory terms into contracts by law, or the non-enforcement of a contract by the courts. The consequence is the unreasonable term and condition can be voidable.

Details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequality_of_bargaining_power

When the registrar run a expired domain auction business, they are taking an advantage over their customer and therefore the term and condition can be voidable. In order to avoid this from happening, the registrar had to demonstrated they are carry out their business through due diligence and in a reasonable manner.

They have to minimize the conflict of interests with the original registrant in order to demonstrated they are carry out their business through due diligence.

Therefore, the registrar will choose to use some standard deadline which is not controlled by them, in order to showed they are bona fide to deemed their customer no longer want their domain.

The registrar are likely use the registry full grace period as a deadline. It's because it involved an addition restore fee set by another parties (The registry). If the customer didn't renew it within the full grace period, the registrar has a reasonable ground to believed the customer are unlikely to renew it, it's because they had to pay an extra fee to the registry.

That's the reason why the 'full grace period' is become so important. Dynadot is in fact using it to protect their business and make their expired domain auction business much more legitimate. They can use the above 2 reasons to defense themselves when they fall into lawsuit.

In my case, Dynadot claimed that they are providing a 'full grace period', but they didn't complied with it.:xf.frown:

Now, they took the shield to protect themselves but they do not pay for it :xf.frown:.

Information is power. I knew some of you may disagree with me but I still hope you can learn something new.:xf.grin:

--------------
Kam

Last edited:
•••
Time to study legal to protect yourself.:xf.grin:
I had try my best to explained why 'full grace period' is so important and why we cannot let it go.
I also elaborated the underlying reason of the registrar having a 'full grace period' policy on the expired auction domain.

It's not only use to protect the original registrant but also use to protect the winner of the expired domain auction.
In case of any disputed occurred. The fulfillment of 'full grace period' will substantially affected the count's finally decision.

Imagination makes us want to see things differently. You have answer!

There is difference between logical and analytical thinking. This is normal. All of us have been there at some point.

Grief is for sharing and we all hope this information will help relax your mind!

If you feel that you need to, please go back and read again. It will help you seeing things from other peoples' perspectives.

Kind regards,

(IT since 1988 - is at least 10 years. Isn't? Thank you so much for letting me have a go :) .

Last edited:
•••
If you Really love this Domain. Then I think you need to buy this domain from this current registar.:xf.smile:

•••
Just remember, 3 out of 2 people don't get math :)

It's not a matter of math, It's a matter of legitimate:xf.cool:

IMO, Dynadot had consulted sophisticated solicitors help them to draft the term & condition for the expired domain auction, they're smart enough to put the 'full grace period' in it to protect themselves, but they failed to executed it. :dead:

•••
It's not a matter of math, It's a matter of legitimate:xf.cool:

IMO, Dynadot had consulted sophisticated solicitors help them to draft the term & condition for the expired domain auction, they're smart enough to put the 'full grace period' in it to protect themselves, but they failed to executed it. :dead:
This wasn't direct to you that way at all Kam - I'm just trying to bring some smiles here :)

•••
You clearly misunderstood the terms for expiry.

Regardless you should let the name go. Its absolutely worthless.

Less 500K people live in Iceland. They have less than 10 TV channels. Who would ever ever build a business on icelandic.tv?

Let some one else pay renewals on that crap.

•••
You clearly misunderstood the terms for expiry.

Regardless you should let the name go. Its absolutely worthless.

Less 500K people live in Iceland. They have less than 10 TV channels. Who would ever ever build a business on icelandic.tv?

Let some one else pay renewals on that crap.

I suggested you to read #42.:xf.smile:

Anyway, this domain is not as bad as you thought.:xf.cool:

•••
I read your post 42. It has no bearing on my opinion of value on the name and frankly I have no idea why you think its valuable? Now keep in mind my points from #47, why do you think its worth anything?

Also, I have been in the industry for more than 10 years and I still agree with people saying its 40 days expiry. Not 45 days.

•••
I read your post 42. It has no bearing on my opinion of value on the name and frankly I have no idea why you think its valuable? Now keep in mind my points from #47, why do you think its worth anything?

Also, I have been in the industry for more than 10 years and I still agree with people saying its 40 days expiry. Not 45 days.

I had received some serious offer on it before.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back