IT.COM

discuss What's The Best way to set up your domain website?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Ive used third party brokers such as DNS and others and have had over 100 inquiries and only one sale. I have done 3 times better negotiating by myself via email. So I have come to the conclusion that it's worth selling my own domains on my own website.

But what is effective? What works best? What do buyers take seriously?

1. You have portfolio website with logos similar to brand bucket?
  2. You have portfolio sites where the names are just listed without logos
  3. You have a landing page for each domain with a offer form
  4. You have a simple 1 to 5 page website that's not too flashy, may even look oldish but can be taken seriously. These sites have only necessary info with no names to show but the names are forwarded there and you can use contact form.
  5. You have a domain shop whether your own theme or third party like name investors. Where people can buy the name on your site or click through to escrow or Paypal.
  6. Have a designer do some custom solution? What exactly?
These are all ideas I'm thinking about. I considered portfolio with logos before to be honest but got no inquiries. I'm not sure if it was just the main domain being weak or the site not looking serious enough? So I will consider all. Personally I think I take sites that don't even look flashy seriously. Think it's maybe a solid company is hat owns the name but may not be using it or maybe it's a trustworthy investor.

--Share what you think is the best?
What would you do take seriously as a buyer?

Share any Wordpress themes you think would be excellent...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The large brokerage houses don't care about selling your domains.

Always good to setup own site but need SEO.

•••
The large brokerage houses don't care about selling your domains.

Always good to setup own site but need SEO.
Good poinT.. I've been hearing this around. Yeah I'll look into seo. I figure all the names will be forwarded to the site anyway. Which option from above would you recommend? And do you have your own site?

•••
Whatever you decide, I have heard that a combination of email, inbound, and outbound sales is most effective.

Combined with networking, leveraging existing domain sales platforms including forums, you should do well.

Having a website might be great for you but there arent many reported sales by small independent sites.

By your post, youre clearly not novice. Trust your vision. Control your costs. You'll guarantee success!

Last edited:
•••
Ive seen some stellar landing pages. Id implement that first.. Then, i'd say your main site should be simple. Your inquiries will mostly come from people looking up the domains. Thats why parking is big business.

•••
Good poinT.. I've been hearing this around. Yeah I'll look into seo. I figure all the names will be forwarded to the site anyway. Which option from above would you recommend? And do you have your own site?

#3. Check out @Bram C. portfolio website and landing pages.

http://almightydomains.com/
http://almightydomains.com/portfolio-category/all-domains/

Best landers I've ever seen. End-users eat them up for sure. Those landing pages are responsive. He prices his domains to sell.

I haven't site up my own site but I'll follow a similar design. I have a small portfolio so it might be integrated with one another site.

•••

Best landers I've ever seen. End-users eat them up for sure. Those landing pages are responsive. He prices his domains to sell.

I haven't site up my own site but I'll follow a similar design. I have a small portfolio so it might be integrated with one another site.
Thats one of the ones i was referring to.. Great landing pages, etc. :)

•••

Yeah I have seen his site before. Great site for sure!

•••
My website PerfectStartupName.com is a simple 1-page lander on SquareSpace. I get metrics from Google Analytics and SquareSpace. Mobile-friendly. Very affordable.

Since I started marketing my website on my Twitter profile at https://twitter.com/ForLeaseOrSale, the daily visitors to my website has gone up quite a bit.

I also use Bodis as my landing page for most of my domain names. Decent metrics.

Still waiting for serious offers, though.

Last edited:
•••
Before building your site, I'd suggest you give some thinking to these two points:

- who are your target visitors: other domainers, startups, local businesses, empire builders (multi site owners), investors ...

- How you are going to promote your site: seo, forums, social media, ads...

The actual design of a site usually plays only a little role as long as it looks clean and does not hurt the visitors.

•••
My website PerfectStartupName.com is a simple 1-page lander on SquareSpace. I get metrics from Google Analytics and SquareSpace. Mobile-friendly. Very affordable.

Since I started marketing my website on my Twitter profile at https://twitter.com/ForLeaseOrSale, the daily visitors to my website has gone up quite a bit.

I also use Bodis as my landing page for most of my domain names. Decent metrics.

Still waiting for serious offers, though.
I actually just acquired a similar name to yours...#perfectstartups....Have you considered getting the plural version of your name: perfectstartupnames.com?

The page you have is simple and easy to use.... I may do simple page of two too but make it more like a site than just a lander. I'm not sure if showing all your domains on a landing page is effective as it gives serious buyers an idea of your inventory. Sometimes its good to keep them in the smoke. But only the results will tell what works best.

How long have you been waiting?
What's your plan if serious offers don't come?

•••
Before building your site, I'd suggest you give some thinking to these two points:

- who are your target visitors: other domainers, startups, local businesses, empire builders (multi site owners), investors ...

- How you are going to promote your site: seo, forums, social media, ads...

The actual design of a site usually plays only a little role as long as it looks clean and does not hurt the visitors.
My names are brandable two word .coms mostly and suited for mostly startups, small business and even non profits. My previous sales are to these and have live well developed sites on them.

What kind of design would you go with?
I will use social media, seo and all the names will be forwarded to the website.
The site will be called GotBrands(King) by the way.

•••
My choice is #3
I have a small... portfolio and i can build a 5 page site in 30 minutes, using my main wp site as reference.
Takes bit of time to find all the plugins and set up contact forms, but now i have my one site completed its much easier.
Its the content, needs to be original. I used to buy lots of articles, and just add 1 every so often to each site.
My names are very similar to yours. Example of my 30 minute wp site www.hempdelights.com
Right click to view source, to get an idea
If you need any advice or anything pm me, I love developing/development ideas

•••
Having your own website is always better though recently I started testing parking companies.

I use a theme that is designed for domain management and changed the look to suit my needs but I intend to make somw changes and also get something different.

•••
I actually just acquired a similar name to yours...#perfectstartups....Have you considered getting the plural version of your name: perfectstartupnames.com?

The page you have is simple and easy to use.... I may do simple page of two too but make it more like a site than just a lander. I'm not sure if showing all your domains on a landing page is effective as it gives serious buyers an idea of your inventory. Sometimes its good to keep them in the smoke. But only the results will tell what works best.

How long have you been waiting?
What's your plan if serious offers don't come?

I also have theperfectstartupname.com reroute to the singular spelling. I chose singular over plural for branding reasons. I want each domain buyer to feel like they bought the perfect name for their startup.

I got my site up and running the beginning of the year. I'm now focusing on Twitter outreach to end-users. My domain name tweets typically include an image, as this seems to get more engagement from other people.

My plan is to continue my end-user marketing through Twitter for as long as it takes to get a buyer. I might consider LinkedIn for outreach purposes.

Until then, I'm going to develop some of my domain names for affiliate marketing purposes.

Thanks for asking! Good luck on your sales! :D

•••
I also have theperfectstartupname.com reroute to the singular spelling. I chose singular over plural for branding reasons. I want each domain buyer to feel like they bought the perfect name for their startup.

I got my site up and running the beginning of the year. I'm now focusing on Twitter outreach to end-users. My domain name tweets typically include an image, as this seems to get more engagement from other people.

My plan is to continue my end-user marketing through Twitter for as long as it takes to get a buyer. I might consider LinkedIn for outreach purposes.

Until then, I'm going to develop some of my domain names for affiliate marketing purposes.

Thanks for asking! Good luck on your sales! :D
Thanks! Good luck to you too!

•••
I'm not a lover of logos. Too much eye-candy and not enough "real info". Buyers are looking for domains, not fancy logos, imho. Has anyone ever scrolled past page three of a website using logos? I've only ever reached page 3 when the logos were stellar, and the names were good. It takes time and money to produce a stellar logo. They don't come cheap, and their influence on a sale are probably infinitesimal. I think the cost/benefit of using logos is also infinitesimal. It's just eye-candy on steroids. I think it's a passing fad. I think there is a reason why most big websites haven't adopted the logo approach to selling domains. My preference is to see all the domains available that I've searched for. Maybe I was born before year 2000 :) A stellar landing page is inifinitely more important than a bunch of (useless) logos could ever be. IMHO :)

Efty would be a good choice if it had categories. IMHO.

•••
no fan of big graphics either.
simple email form is good enough for me.

I get all I need from a simple bodis redirect to sale lander.. (they let you bypass parkibg page completely - its the only park company that does it). and inquire through there. plus they now have option to add buynow for any domain you want via escrow setup with them. which essentially means when I get an offer and agree on price via email, I can then setup buynow price for that domain with bodis, and tell buyer to go back to this domain and click escrow buynow to complete purchase.

plus of course u get all the great visitor stats per domain country.. daily monthly etc! FREE!

example: www.vrmsg.com

Last edited:
•••
@alcy - Does Bodis take a commission on sales?

•••
@alcy - Does Bodis take a commission on sales?

nope. nothing at all.

I just setup another bogus domain on a buynow escrow button for you to see.. or anyone else interested..

so make offer lander is: www.vrmsg.com
escrow buynow setup is: www.aego.net

its lightning fast at bodis. 2 clicks on you can switch between offers/buynow etc.

so all I ever really do in trms of redirecting or dns changes with my domains at registrar level, is a once in lifetime change bodis dns for all domains. and then manage from there. as far as I go, its as good as it gets! :)
but.. to each his own.

•••
@alcy - I like it. I wonder why they do all that for free? I also like the minimalism.

•••
@alcy - I like it. I wonder why they do all that for free? I also like the minimalism.

yeah... I guess they are just great like that.

maybe it is true that some rare few sites/owners out there still truly do have domainers best interest at heart.

enjoy

•••
Adding a logo to domain name might narrow the buyers sight of the possible uses for a domain. Say you find 3 options A, B and C for the usage of a domain and base the logo on one of these options. The potential buyer could find the domain useful for X, Y, Z, yet since you used option B as a base for your logo, he might find it difficult to see the potential of that domain for his purposes. Bottom line is you should not interrupt the buyer's point of view. He might miss it. If you want to make a simple logo with the keywords only, I think it should be just fine. But not further.

This advice is based on very well-known members here and I believe it makes some sense. Since then i'm trying not to make my logos too targeted for a specific market.

Good luck!

•••
no fan of big graphics either.
simple email form is good enough for me.

I get all I need from a simple bodis redirect to sale lander.. (they let you bypass parkibg page completely - its the only park company that does it). and inquire through there. plus they now have option to add buynow for any domain you want via escrow setup with them. which essentially means when I get an offer and agree on price via email, I can then setup buynow price for that domain with bodis, and tell buyer to go back to this domain and click escrow buynow to complete purchase.

plus of course u get all the great visitor stats per domain country.. daily monthly etc! FREE!

example: www.vrmsg.com
I may consider Bodis! So you would be the one negotiating a sale? No broker, no commission. But if I do that then it wouldn't make sense to do my own lander or website

•••
Adding a logo to domain name might narrow the buyers sight of the possible uses for a domain. Say you find 3 options A, B and C for the usage of a domain and base the logo on one of these options. The potential buyer could find the domain useful for X, Y, Z, yet since you used option B as a base for your logo, he might find it difficult to see the potential of that domain for his purposes. Bottom line is you should not interrupt the buyer's point of view. He might miss it. If you want to make a simple logo with the keywords only, I think it should be just fine. But not further.

This advice is based on very well-known members here and I believe it makes some sense. Since then i'm trying not to make my logos too targeted for a specific market.

Good luck!
Great advice!
If I do use any logos I will make them minimalistic and not targeted to anything in particular.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back