IT.COM

question Whatever happened to Emoji Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
emoji-domain-image.png

When emoji domains exploded on the market a lot of namepros members thought they were the next big ticket to making money. Like a lot of new things there was the initial land rush and even a few extraordinary sales.

The question is where are they today? I cannot remember coming across even a single emoji domain advertised anywhere or even used for commercial purposes.

How many namepros members still own emoji domains and do you expect to make a profit from them?

Who has given up on them and who has lost money on them.

Will they become more useful in the future or will they just fade into oblivion?

Lets discuss and get some feedback from both sides of the coin.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My Libra gets a few looks but no offers on SEDO

♎.tk

•••
I was able to create an emoji domain on the new .zil extension. I did it during the pre-order, it doesn't look like you can register them now.

💰.zil

I thought this was perfect for a crypto wallet :)

•••
Here are the major pros for emojis that given the right marketing campaign by a major influencer would work wonders:

1. Standardization and global universal support
2. Built-in ios & android keyboard
3. Mainstream appeal and consciousness (even our parents use them now)

I've made a few recent investments myself that I'll share with everyone soon.

•••
samthing with crypto LLLL.com and all other trends that fail

•••
The point @MapleDots made was also spot on about no universal uniformity, some emojis look so different on different operating systems that it creates confusion.

Hence an extension like .emo where people would know what it is and a universal typeset across all operating systems so a happy face or sad face has the same look everywhere.

That one I could see being worth a mint. Imagine owning sad.emo but technically we could have thousands of variants but they would have to be adopted by android, apple, chrome, windows etc.

•••
•••
I don't claim to understand emoji domain names so have stuck away from them. That is just me, and no reflection on whether the niche can be successful for some domain investors, and I hope some of them will comment on it so we can all learn.

Is there a way to find emoji domain name sales on NameBio? If so can someone post here how to do it. I apologize if the answer is obvious and I just am not seeing it.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, you can filter namebio for .ws extension - then, when you see something like "xn--z8h.ws", that should be actually an emoji domain (at least from what I seen so far) :)

•••
Keep in mind not all of the " xn-- "on Namebio are emoji domains (some are glyphs and some are just word IDNs) and there are definitely domains not listed that did indeed sell.

•••
If I saw that I would not know what to press on my Google Pixel phone because they have some of the strangest emoticons.

True, some ambiguity if you want to describe it or type it from scratch. But:

If someone sends you one as a link to click on it's clear which emoji it is. You can also copy and paste.

My phone autosuggests emoji in text messages - I start to type train and it puts in a train emoji. So actually typing emoji domains could be very fast and easy.

How will they do with voice interaction???

•••
no no please dont follow the link, emoji domains are confusing. I think i know why i am buying them, and buying more... but please dont invest in them thinking you will sell to me.... they are risky and confusing..

i dont think these domains pass the next test of value in the domaining owrld, ie are they liquid to sell any emoji to every domainer for $xxx.. but im hoping someday.

More to come on ednblog.com

Page Howe

•••
Lots of domains don't pass the radio test.

So what about a graphic test? How does a domain look as a graphic?

A single emoji as a link you click on is super-recognisable and memorable and makes a great graphic, and you can copy and paste it.

•••
I did have a look at NameBio. I realize that .ws is not the only extension supporting emoji, but possibly the most dominant one. I also realize that not all xn-- sales on .ws are necessarily emoji, but I think most are. Anyway, there have been 51 sales (emoji, .ws) with an average price of $351. There were 3 sales above $1k, the largest being for the sunglasses smiling one (xn--s28h) for $3100. The 10 largest sales were all in 2017. There, the sum of analysis I have ever done on emoji domains! :xf.smile:(n):xf.sick::wacky::meh::xf.laugh:
Bob :xf.cool:

•••
OK I am commenting on something I know nothing about (but that does not usually stop me :xf.wink:) but couldn't I say " the site is Grinning Face With Sweat emoji in .ws". I realize everything passes the radio test with that! Am I right that each emoji has one unique description?

I think emoji appeal primarily to those who like them as visual instruments, and they are willing to forego some simplicity in domain name for that.

Bob

ps I realize if you Google Grinning Face With Sweat domain name it will give you the site that particular domain is for sale.

i think you should be open to the fact that teens and millenials know these better than OWG's, just like chinese understood numerics better than i did..

page howe
emojidomainnames.com

•••
•••
I would love to own an interesting one, but only 1 emoticon in length, not more. It's a new world, mobile rules, and a new generation who grew up with these entering the workforce. Would invest in one COM if I can find it cheap, NET only if it's very good.
You probably won't find one in .com for cheap- they are super rare since they cannot be registered anymore.

There is no such thing as emojis in .net.

Your best bet is to look into the .ws or .to ccTLD extensions, where you can find sub-1k from investors or even still hand register.

I find them interesting too! I mean, what other kind of domain can you do something eye-catching like:

l👀k.ws

•••
Putting these pups up for offers

🎥.ws
🇪🇺.ws

•••
do any other viewers see these well, im on chrome desktop, looking good.

page

•••
looks like namepros is showing off emoji better

i dont think i could have pasted these in or used the WINDOWS + "." emoji keyboard to add year ago
almost two years now come September..NP displaying emojis @Page Howe ;)

Anyone else thinks it sucks the .ai extension killed all emojis with them? I think it was a year or two back, but man, some of them went really great with .ai, eg. the robot, computer, yin yang emojis

get offers around the $500 mark for my single character .ws emojis, simply cannot accept.. many of these are so rare. once you sell it's gone forever.

•••
Good call...does it resolve??

yes it does! You have to use the extension or the dedicated browser, but it worked just fine for me!! I was so excited that I went to try and get some more. That's when I found out you can't register them any more.

ipfs://💰.zil/

Last edited:
•••
Ah well, I suppose there's my answer. I had just sent a message off to UD support regarding this, why new searches come up as "invalid domain".

You've got a bit of a keeper there, Sarah.Kate.

TBH, if @Unstoppable Domains want to distinguish themselves as truly independent of ICANN rules, they should open up puny-code for emoji registrations.

Users have to learn for themselves what the proper domain is when they click it or enter it into the url bar or receive emails. We don't need to be babysat on this stuff, yet ICANN paints everyone with the same brush making us all dummies, thus disallowing emoji registrations on the major TLDs.

I hate that everyone has to pay the price for the people that don't know what they are doing. I thought the uncensored web (blockchain domains) would do away with this.

•••
Here are the major pros for emojis that given the right marketing campaign by a major influencer would work wonders:

1. Standardization and global universal support
2. Built-in ios & android keyboard
3. Mainstream appeal and consciousness (even our parents use them now)

I've made a few recent investments myself that I'll share with everyone soon.
Agreed. There were eyes on them a couple years ago in the .ws extension when a biggie like Coca-Cola bought up a bunch of smilies. Worked wonders as you say. Congrats on your new investments, I saw one of those in an extension I never knew supported them.

Please feel free to give this thread a kick-start if any of you guys like;
https://www.namepros.com/threads/official-emoji-thread-discuss-and-show.1181686/

rather than a title asking where emojis are, we can can make it sort of an official discussion.

•••
A little update on emoji domain names.

There's been some chatter (more of the novelty kind) of emoji domains on DNAcad's weekly social.

I think @Page Howe chimed in for a brief discussion.

<<<>>>

A lively discussion recently erupted on Twitter following a post from @Domain Shane

My favorite tweet in that exchange was from @Jon Roig

<<<>>>

Today, following a question from @Michael Cyger about listing an emoji domain on NameLiquidate, @Rob Monster troubleshot the punycode issue and enabled the emoji to be displayed.

<<<>>>

My thoughts on emoji's still stand.

I think emoji's are cool. But I never bought into the .ws way of thinking. Though, I have to give them props for their marketing efforts. I own a one .ws emoji, as a emoji domain defensive registration <I own one emoji in multiple ccTLDS> to prepare for:

Last edited:
•••
It looks like Unstoppable Domains might be gearing up to allow emoji domains in the future. I was doing a search today and noticed that they are now coming up as "premium"
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 8.11.11 AM.png

•••
•••
@CJ6 @Page Howe @Jon Roig @Claim.Club @ tons of others - look at these haters, I think they need a lesson in diversity..

I know Kate 'specially has a secret untapped fondness for emoji domains.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ps. Maple, still waiting for your offer on my 🍁 / ws

No hate here, just asking if anyone has used them or made money.

As far as making an offer on something I don't understand (n)
Hmm, even as an experienced domainer I never took the time to study or understand how to actually use them because I have never seen them in use.

Picture0001.png

Other than it being a unicode it's still all french to me and I never did learn french :xf.laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back