Dynadot

question Whatever happened to Emoji Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
emoji-domain-image.png

When emoji domains exploded on the market a lot of namepros members thought they were the next big ticket to making money. Like a lot of new things there was the initial land rush and even a few extraordinary sales.

The question is where are they today? I cannot remember coming across even a single emoji domain advertised anywhere or even used for commercial purposes.

How many namepros members still own emoji domains and do you expect to make a profit from them?

Who has given up on them and who has lost money on them.

Will they become more useful in the future or will they just fade into oblivion?

Lets discuss and get some feedback from both sides of the coin.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As far as making an offer on something I don't understand (n)
Hmm, even as an experienced domainer I never took the time to study or understand how to actually use them because I have never seen them in use.
If you would like to get your feet wet, I can give you some time to "try before you buy", and whatever you decide, it's no sweat.
We can discuss privately with a couple of nameservers to point at, and practice away.

I think what you'll find is, as a complement to an existing site, for promotional links particularly on mobile, the emojis are easy to click and are unique attention-grabbers. They will target anyone, and in many cases are far less confusing than some really rotten url's out there. Owning your personal emoji to your main site is a matter of strengthening your brand.

Regarding browser consistency with how emojis look and the extensions they use, there really should be no confusion there. If stuff like this confuses people, then I suppose we should all just stick to using one font and forget about putting sites on ccTLDs, because anything outside of the Arial Font Family and it ain't on dot-com, I mean whatever will we do??

re equity78, I agree with dot-com creating vibrancy, but we don't want a monopoly, where 99% of us would lose out on the investment opportunity.

•••
Emojis are useful in SMS and online posts but were never meant to be used as domain names.

•••
Is there a way to find emoji domain name sales on NameBio? If so can someone post here how to do it. I apologize if the answer is obvious and I just am not seeing it.

I've asked before if they could show the IDNs as ordinary text with an IDN symbol or the actual IDN url aw well - they could do that and emojis at the same time.

•••
They were cheap to register, but expensive to renew and low sales I assume? And a :poop: extension didn't help :xf.grin:

•••
I posted the link in case there were any bargains there.
Anyone looking for emoji domains may want to follow the link.

•••
I bought 10 emojis - one single character ↗️ and nine two character. I sold three to another domainer for $50 each so in the black from the start. I will drop the remaining ones and keep my single. I have used it for emails, and think it would be a great addition on a business card or I could see a company with this on the side of their building.

•••
^ it does but it's a pain... touch and go. I experimented a few years ago, there was only one email client that successfully processed incoming/outgoing and kept the actual emoji as return address rather than the "xn--". Don't recall which it was now.

•••
Well, can someone explain me, in some simple terms, how emoji domains pass the "radio test"?
I am not joking, maybe I miss something completely here.

OK I am commenting on something I know nothing about (but that does not usually stop me :xf.wink:) but couldn't I say " the site is Grinning Face With Sweat emoji in .ws". I realize everything passes the radio test with that! Am I right that each emoji has one unique description?

I think emoji appeal primarily to those who like them as visual instruments, and they are willing to forego some simplicity in domain name for that.

Bob

ps I realize if you Google Grinning Face With Sweat domain name it will give you the site that particular domain is for sale.

•••
•••
i think you should be open to the fact that teens and millenials know these better than OWG's, just like chinese understood numerics better than i did..

Hi Paige,

Thanks for your comment, which I agree with 100%. Just in case my post was misinterpreted it was in answer to the question do they pass the radio test. I was answering that assuming there is common agreement on the word description of each emoji they do. It was not a statement pro or con emoji per say as domains.

I agree that a younger generation view them pretty naturally as part of the landscape. I tend to think they will become more prominent in future. As investments, I think the jury is still out.

I think that even if it ends up their main use is for redirection, say on social media, that does not at all mean they are not important.

Bob

•••
I own a emoji domain, goes hand in hand with a short domain I own.

•••
I own a emoji domain, goes hand in hand with a short domain I own.
Same reason i have interest but the extensions all suck if it was dot com there would have been a lot more interest.

•••
The registries and pumpers all laughed to the bank. And the collectors (suckers?) keep looking proudly at their ‘gems’ that’ll be coveted....some day! :xf.rolleyes:
I saw several on a drop list about ten years ago. I thought it was a stupid idea and that they wouldn't really take off. I now have two one character domains, both .cc and one of them is the pi symbol. I'm pretty sure it's worthless but I'm going to hang on to them.

•••
•••
I would love to own an interesting one, but only 1 emoticon in length, not more. It's a new world, mobile rules, and a new generation who grew up with these entering the workforce. Would invest in one COM if I can find it cheap, NET only if it's very good.

Last edited:
•••
I have xn--3y8h.ws crayon emoji which just expired. Thought it good for kids/childrens site.

Worth renewing?

Anyone want it for cheap? Msg me

•••
•••
Exactly. Why dont we feel and price our other domains the same way. There is only one of every domain. Hmmmm
True, only one of every, but with emojis there are literally only 3 or 4 extensions that allow them, I think that's why.

•••
I don't claim to understand emoji domain names so have stuck away from them. That is just me, and no reflection on whether the niche can be successful for some domain investors, and I hope some of them will comment on it so we can all learn.

Is there a way to find emoji domain name sales on NameBio? If so can someone post here how to do it. I apologize if the answer is obvious and I just am not seeing it.

Thanks,

Bob

•••
Why keep names with no, or very little, demand on the aftermarket?! Trends come and go. Some of them are more silly than others.

•••
Well, can someone explain me, in some simple terms, how emoji domains pass the "radio test"?
I am not joking, maybe I miss something completely here.

If someone can do that, I will open my wallet to those emoji domains and buy some :)

•••
no no please dont follow the link, emoji domains are confusing. I think i know why i am buying them, and buying more... but please dont invest in them thinking you will sell to me.... they are risky and confusing..

i dont think these domains pass the next test of value in the domaining owrld, ie are they liquid to sell any emoji to every domainer for $xxx.. but im hoping someday.

More to come on ednblog.com

Page Howe
Yeah, didn't you one ✈️.ws?

•••
•••
I have used it for emails, and think it would be a great addition on a business card or I could see a company with this on the side of their building.
Did it worked right for E-mail ? I know that some mail servers do not have good support for IDNs in general but maybe the situation has improved over the last few years.

•••
Kate summed it up in a nutshell idk think theres anything left to say expect close the thread :ROFL:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back