NameSilo

question What makes .Mobi Domain Valuable ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ezee

MoTop Member
Impact
Hi I have been going through namebio and have been quite surprised with some of the High value sales in this extension.

Could you please shed some information on this extension .
1.The perceived Value of the Extension
2 .Why would someone pay 5 or 6 figures for this extension .

Sales Of .Mobi Domains with Six Figures
Screen_Shot_2017_06_15_at_10_30_27_PM.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nearly 0 now

no one would now

•••
•••
I agree,

It was a hype about purely mobile based websites at that time, before today's responsive designs etc.

Today, you are lucky to get a low $xxx for a single-word.mobi

•••
I agree,

It was a hype about purely mobile based websites at that time, before today's responsive designs etc.

Today, you are lucky to get a low $xxx for a single-word.mobi
I can understand names like ringtones.mobile but gosh 616000 for music.mobi was high ,what would be the perceived value today of the same domain

•••
Why would that be?

1. No one believes in separate mobile sites today
2. There are so many better alternatives today and all new domains have caused inflation

•••
1. No one believes in separate mobile sites today
2. There are so many better alternatives today and all new domains have caused inflation
Estibot Value on music.mobi is $631000 what would you say that is actually worth with deflation ?

•••
I can understand names like ringtones.mobile but gosh 616000 for music.mobi was high ,what would be the perceived value today of the same domain

loan.mobi - 405 USD - 2016-10-31 - GoDaddy
host.mobi - 255 USD - 2016-10-31 - GoDaddy
trend.mobi - 417 USD - 2016-07-19 - GoDaddy
real.mobi - 273 USD - 2016-06-15 - GoDaddy
webcam.mobi - 205 USD - 2016-06-15 - GoDaddy
ship.mobi - 143 USD - 2016-06-15 - GoDaddy

Source: Namebio.com

•••
Estibot Value on music.mobi is $631000 what would you say that is actually worth with deflation ?

2000 bucks. Maybe.

•••
Maybe a little more due to the previous bizarre price. For nostalgic reasons. Still maybe...

•••
•••
Why would that be?

It's more with .mobi but you can see that with newer extensions as well. Look at .co and .me, you'll see the bigger sales at the beginning. You'll see it with all these new ones as well most likely. More hope and hype at the beginning.

•••
WOW Thats a huge depreciation ,

I might be wrong. My estimation is just based on these old data, compared with rather recent sales.

If I should "invest" in .mobi names myself, it would only be 2 and 3-digit numerics.

•••
hype, is what helped sell those names at that time

the sale of flowers.mobi by rick kicked it off

short version of what happened

back then was before release of iphone and hope and speculation was that .mobi would be default of browser

but, when photo of phone was seen, the url in browser trailed with a .com

thus began the downfall of .mobi

imo....

Last edited:
•••
So No Hope for Domain extension will be the conclusion or is there hope for mobi ,as namebio shows and increase sales this year by that I am looking at the graph which shows a slight increase

•••
hype is always on front end and when the registrations/sales don't sustain, then a re-hype may be necessary

ie: emoji .ws names

imo...

•••
So No Hope for Domain extension will be the conclusion or is there hope for mobi ,as namebio shows and increase sales this year by that I am looking at the graph which shows a slight increase

Where? - https://namebio.com/?s==czNzYjN4ITM

I see
2016 - 30 reported sales
2017 - 5 so far, highest $255

and only 1 sale over $1,000 in the last 1.5+ years.

it's a dud.

Last edited:
•••
Yep, According to Namebio: 28 sales last year and only 5 sales this year, so far.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
March 2017 to April 2017 shows an increase

?

It is just one or maybe two domains. No statistical data can be based on that

•••
Well I should have asked this question here before I gave them their sale of the Century lol
So I have paid some school fees today :)

•••
Im glad you didn't go out and buy a bunch of Mobi domains. Although for $6 picking up a few strrrrrrrrong keywords dot mobi wouldn't be tuuuuuuribl!

To the average Joe it is dot com, dot org, dot net perhaps, and dot edu. Dot mobi to most average Joes is just like dot xyz, nop, qrs, tuv, love, democrat, republican, etc; So imo xyz.xyz will be awesome, but love.xyz probably not because next month you will get love.lol . . . :)

•••
Im glad you didn't go out and buy a bunch of Mobi domains. Although for $6 picking up a few strrrrrrrrong keywords dot mobi wouldn't be tuuuuuuribl!

To the average Joe it is dot com, dot org, dot net perhaps, and dot edu. Dot mobi to most average Joes is just like dot xyz, nop, qrs, tuv, love, democrat, republican, etc; So imo xyz.xyz will be awesome, but love.xyz probably not because next month you will get love.lol . . . :)
Lol I did worse I bought one domain for lets say alot lol

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back