Dynadot

What makes a great domain landing page?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomaHub

Established Member
Impact
Hello!

We at DomaHub are currently beta-testing a new type of domain landing page and wanted to get some feedback / discussion started with the experts over here at NP.

We think that a great landing page can greatly improve chances of sale. However, a lot of domains that are available for sale look extremely out-dated and is poorly designed

For example--let's take a few domains and examine their landing pages--

HealthNHealth.com

Pros
  • Easy to use buy now button
Cons
  • Looks like a website from 1999
  • The landing page on this domain name provides NO relevant information to the domain being sold.
  • A 1 minute video explaining how a domain name is valuable (as if we in 2001)
  • Testimonials on why HugeDomains.com is a trustworthy site
There is only three relevant pieces of information to the original domain on this landing page--the buy now button, the payments plan, and the domain name itself. This landing page looks more like an advertisement for HugeDomains rather than a sales page for HealthNHealth.

HealthyHeart.com

Pros

Cons
  • No buy now button, must "inquire" about purchasing the domain
  • Ads
Yeah parked domains might be okay, but you're doing nothing to increase the value of the domain. If anything, a parked website hurts your domain brand by associating your domain with negative and often irrelevant advertisements.

Health.club

Oh dear god what is this website.

----------------------------

It's clear that there are a lot of really bad domain landing pages out there. Great landing pages can be built by the owner, but is extremely time consuming across thousands and thousands of domains. But what if that didn't have to be the case? What if domains that were for sale provided actual useful information automatically? Things like...

Custom Images / Branding / Color
ZiKoLGw.jpg

Traffic data:
az13cvq.png

Demographics data:
e5RgIJ9.png

Browser / OS data
pxNRO8N.png

Other Information / Portfolio
5yP7YDd.png

----------------------------

Just to make it clear, we don't actually have the above features currently, but we want to see if this is something the domain community would be interested in. We think we can create the better landing page for domains. A new type of landing page that displays relevant information, is branded for YOU and not the hosting company, and provides a great user experience for your buyers.

But to do that, we need your help. We realized that we need valuable feedback from the people who will use this product--the domain owners like yourselves on NP.

We are trying to gather important feedback from domain owners. If you can just take 2 minutes to fill out this survey, it would help us greatly. Thank you very much!

Link to survey - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2h9r7v0wWFHlB2wWPM_U_OxYeMC9PSQaRkNSQC8QDZYJO7w/viewform

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

the fact that you think, that they offer something that "domainers need", is the first fallacy.

because landing pages "aren't needed", to sell a domain name.

every ppc offers landing pages for free, so why should i pay to "use" this pick, and that shovel?

why should i move my names from a service that pays me now, to one that charges a fee?

sure, there is market for landing pages, simply because reports of sales from a lander, have increased the "hype" for their usage.

but, i don't buy hype.

imo...

So they aren't needed per se. I get that. Sure if I want to build out sites I can pay a small hosting fee and have a zillion sites up. Although I know that isn't what you are saying. I can also use a sales landing page at GoDaddy or SEDO or wherever. I get that as well. And to simply park it somewhere I am also understanding that is fine!

I think that when I have it parked somewhere like we have discussed, I can decide if I want stats or not. I guess I just "feel" like I am more in control. I think we just differ on opinions here, and that is quite fine. I think we can agree that great domain names overcome a lot of other issues and concerns!

•••
This kind of page to me is geared towards selling to other domainers or huge corporate entities who love to analyze all the minutia and not a typical end user. Average Joe either likes a name or doesn't. And it happens almost immediately.

Those stats are an attempt to justify a certain price tag which is quite logical but it doesn't make the actual domain name any more likeable or fitting to the person's needs. People often buy based on feelings.

People buy things they like enough to buy or find valuable to their needs. I can tell in a second if I like a name or not. The stats are logical. I get that. But its not going to make a case for most brandables which are purchased because they are liked not because they have perfect search value. Search value is ultimately dictated by the content on the site and social media presence.

I think this kind of site would appeal to alot of people that are of the mindset that stats are the the only measure of value or the greatest measure of value. Value is subjective and also subject to change
based on how the domain is utilized after purchase, trends, etc etc.

I don't think its a bad idea.It just doesn't particularly appeal to me. Since I am also new to this I also know nothing but I am a consumer so there is that.
I understand what you mean. I am new also. I just happen to like the format I guess. Different strokes for different folks :)

•••
if you names don't get any traffic, then you won't have any stats to look at

imo...

•••

imo...
This is a great point, and perhaps the grandaddy statement of them all . . . as it pertains to this topic anyways:)

•••
if a name has zero traffic (which is normal for most selling names) than your empty traffic chart will look awkward - showing it on your landing page would be equal to telling a buyer "this is a great name but it gets zero visitors" instead of simply saying "this is a great name. period."

if a name has strong type-in traffic and the chart shows that you are then responsible to and highly likely to be asked to show a proof. i personally would not trust anything other than guest access to full Google Analytics stats. any in-house AWstats, Piwik etc logs are as trustworthy as domain appraisal certificates.

imo

•••
Hi

because landing pages "aren't needed", to sell a domain name.

every ppc offers landing pages for free, so why should i pay to "use" this pick, and that shovel?

why should i move my names from a service that pays me now, to one that charges a fee?

imo...

@biggie yes every ppc offers landing pages your correct. And yes you dont NEED a offer page to sell a name. But they certainly help. But even within the parking world the landing pages have differences. Some provide ip address of the buyer others dont. Knowing where your buyer is located has helped our users determine if different offers are coming from the same buyer. However no parking site allows you to upload a logo which has been a recent request by domainers... The products appearing in the market are largely due to domainer requests.

the new offer pages are getting smarter, pulling in domain metrics and optimizing the page to increase offer response. Many of the new offer pages have amazing design, UX and conversion elements to them. If you choose not to use any of these elements then that is fine these new pages are just not for you. However thousands of domains are using all different variations and services out there so its clearly appealing to some. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that a smart sales page where I can change price or include a escrow button in the middle of negotiation along with a logo will help sell the name. And it has.

•••
People buy things they like enough to buy or find valuable to their needs. I can tell in a second if I like a name or not. The stats are logical. I get that. But its not going to make a case for most brandables which are purchased because they are liked not because they have perfect search value. Search value is ultimately dictated by the content on the site and social media presence.
Agree most people wont choose the name based on stats. However I have purchased names based on the estimated traffic or alexa rank and backlinks in an effort to redirect that traffic to a current project or increase my overall portfolio traffic.

If you have a new bitcoin blog and want to promote is for cheap purchase an expired name with some traffic and redirect the traffic to your new blog. Its much cheaper than buying Google Ads.

Yes this would only apply to domain investors. The domain stats do help with negotiations. For example when the avg Joe sees that a name is 20 years old I feel there is more reason to ask for a little bit more. This name was registered a long time ago and its not something you could have purchased recently. It all plays into the psychology of the negotiation. But any service should offer a basic page in addition to data page.

•••

imo...

I have hundreds of names some expired, some hand reg other purchased for thousands at auctions.

Every single name I have ever owned is generating some amount of traffic.

I have never seen zero visits to any name in any parking company over a 3 month period.

•••
if a name has zero traffic (which is normal for most selling names) than your empty traffic chart will look awkward - showing it on your landing page would be equal to telling a buyer "this is a great name but it gets zero visitors" instead of simply saying "this is a great name. period."

imo

This is a great point. Our page was built with a ton of logic to account for this. You can set to show or not show the traffic chart if you have less than a certain amount of visits.or alexa, or backlinks.

Nothing on this page is static.

Everything on this page is all conditional based on rules you set.

This was designed so that you would not show low or no data for a name.

The page automatically only highlights the best attributes of your name.

•••
This is a great point. Our page was built with a ton of logic to account for this. You can set to show or not show the traffic chart if you have less than a certain amount of visits.or alexa, or backlinks.

Nothing on this page is static.

Everything on this page is all conditional based on rules you set.

This was designed so that you would not show low or no data for a name.

The page automatically only highlights the best attributes of your name.
That is one of the main things I love about the platform! I love its user friendliness!

•••
I agree with Biggie, they come and go.

First, they offer you free, then when you help them off the ground they will start sending you fee. I stop following this BS and make my own landing page. Doing so, I keep my own traffic and customers too. Better for a long run.

IMHO.

•••

First, they offer you free, then when you help them off the ground they will start sending you fee. I stop following this BS and make my own landing page. Doing so, I keep my own traffic and customers too. Better for a long run.

IMHO.

Everyone has a different level of technical and design skill. If you have the skills to create and host and maintain your own pages then your own option will work. There are a ton of domainers who dont have the time to do this esp on a large scale. It would take years to develop and create offer pages for thousands of names.. the systems out there today automate the process. Our system however is forever free we will never charge a fee for our basic services that are available. We even provide a free domain store. We have hundreds of happy users that praise the system but again one solution will never fit everyones needs. I started with features.
I wanted as a domainer and now we create new features entirely based on user feedback. Use it or dont...but more options always better than less.

•••

IMHO.

exactly @TheWatcher

they can't see, that they are just end-users -
who are willing to pay for something, that you can get for free

imo....

•••
Everyone has a different level of technical and design skill. If you have the skills to create and host and maintain your own pages then your own option will work. There are a ton of domainers who dont have the time to do this esp on a large scale. It would take years to develop and create offer pages for thousands of names.. the systems out there today automate the process. Our system however is forever free we will never charge a fee for our basic services that are available. We even provide a free domain store. We have hundreds of happy users that praise the system but again one solution will never fit everyones needs. I started with features.
I wanted as a domainer and now we create new features entirely based on user feedback. Use it or dont...but more options always better than less.
Exactly right @toughdomains . Why spend hours trying to recreate the wheel, when a Porsche is awaiting you! Thanks for all your support. And to those that prefer other methods, best regards and good luck!

•••
In domain industry, they will promise you all the best "features" to get your business.
You can use them all you want, do your own due diligence and don't use them because John Doe recommended it, or some domain bloggers with video, or any related success interview.

These companies will say, oh "The service is FREE". This is not exactly true, you're sending them your traffic, leads, potential customers and free advertising from your domains. Think again ...it is free?

•••
Exactly right @toughdomains . Why spend hours trying to recreate the wheel, when a Porsche is awaiting you! Thanks for all your support. And to those that prefer other methods, best regards and good luck!

I personally would rather spend my time trolling deleted domain lists, researching trends like VR and sniping auction gems rather than building pages and sifting through emails to find my offers when there are many tools out there that can automate those tasks.

@TheWatcher our service is actually 100% free to use. you can keep your names parked anywhere and we provide you hosted offer pages and a domain manager. If you park your names with another company there is no way we make out from you using the product. Its a truly free service and not a free trial. Our pricing model was built on free to compete with the other free tools out there that other services offer.
Why would you pay for something if you can get it free somewhere else? We only make money if users decide to upgrade to additional services that they want to use. We gain no leads, customers or traffic from our free users using the hosted offer pages and free store.

•••
•••
hi

not trying to act like i'm better than you, or come from an arrogant perspective, but i don't think you are in a position to recommend any service to me,

Wow ! I guess you won't invite Biggie to the BBQ this weekend....

•••
@biggie gives us some of the best insight on our service. All his feedback is discussed with the team. Many of the free services to our users where based off his feedback. He gets a VIP invite to the BBQ!

•••
@biggie gives us some of the best insight on our service. All his feedback is discussed with the team. Many of the free services to our users where based off his feedback. He gets a VIP invite to the BBQ!

Was talking to want2learn...

•••

i appreciate it @toughdomains :)

glad you haven't taken my opinions personally

it's all about business.

as it's not my intention to attack, but more so about dissecting.

when you or anybody else who's serving up a pie for domainers to chew on...

i, at any time, might have the munchies.

so if it's a new caterer to the industry, then

first, i want to know who's doing the cooking?
how it was cooked., like "well-done, rare or medium, was it baked or grilled, flamed, etc...
and... what are the ingredients, of the total package.

if, i give it the "smell test" and it don't smell like it looks
or if some of the notes are off-key, from the way "it sounds",
or if their pancakes don't stack as high as other i hops, then i ain't hopping over.

on the other plate, if it looks good, has the smell of a fresh home cooked meal, with fluffy biscuits and
siz-zuryp, then i may sit at that table.....especially if it's free.

hope that's perspective others can relate to

imo....

•••
•••
i appreciate it @toughdomains :)

glad you haven't taken my opinions personally

it's all about business.

as it's not my intention to attack, but more so about dissecting.

when you or anybody else who's serving up a pie for domainers to chew on...

i, at any time, might have the munchies.

so if it's a new caterer to the industry, then

first, i want to know who's doing the cooking?
how it was cooked., like "well-done, rare or medium, was it baked or grilled, flamed, etc...
and... what are the ingredients, of the total package.

if, i give it the "smell test" and it don't smell like it looks
or if some of the notes are off-key, from the way "it sounds",
or if their pancakes don't stack as high as other i hops, then i ain't hopping over.

on the other plate, if it looks good, has the smell of a fresh home cooked meal, with fluffy biscuits and
siz-zuryp, then i may sit at that table.....especially if it's free.

hope that's perspective others can relate to

imo....

@biggie thanks for the food analogy....not our style to force our service on anyone as we realize everyone has a different needs. just hoping the unsolicited praise out there is enough to interest someone enough to test it out. other than very specific requests we have not had anyone say the service is not useful to them actually have received great praise. All we can do is keep pumping out more domain services until everyone loves everything! And we are, more to come soon....

•••
I wish there was some sort of trademark alert. I can check the main trademark database, but sometimes we might miss something!

•••
hey wanted to provide an update to the feedback we had here in namepros....we now allow you to add custom sales text to all sales pages so you can change "this name maybe for sale" to "this premium name is for sale or lease"
http://heated.com/offers
this was the final request from our sales pages.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back