Domain Empire

.mobi What is your take on the Sedo .Mobi Auction Successful, Unsuccessful?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Was this above or below your expectations?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
he is talking about over the long term

•••
What period of time is the "long term" term then? This extension had a very good few months from the flowers.mobi auction then sharp declines ever since (around 9 months). I think people are just "drawing a straight line where it suits their argument" to suggest this is still a rising market.

•••
We will see where we stand the first week of Nov. after the second .mobi auction is done.

There is no use in arguing over what each of us considers a rising market. It is clear that you, snoop, do not agree that the .mobi market is getting stronger. We feel differently. But neither of us is going to make anything happen just beacuse we 'said so'.

Where is that beating a dead horse image when ya need it?

•••
snoop go away

long term could mean over the next 20 years

•••
mejcdj said:
We will see where we stand the first week of Nov. after the second .mobi auction is done.

In that auction poker.mobi is going up for auction, given it is probably 3-4 times as valuable as flowers.mobi I would expect a new record may be set, even given the falls in the market (I tend to think this might be the most valuable .mobi, maybe sex.mobi is comparable). Still I don't expect anything like the 500k+ it would have got 9 months ago.

•••
Poker.mobi is in the Moniker aution this month.. not the sedo auction.

Regardless... it does not matter what it goes for, because it will not be enough to satisfy any preconceived ideas of what you consider 'successful' and what we consider 'successful'.

There are 90 (I believe) .mobi names in moniker starting Oct 12-18 and then another 100 on sedo startng Oct 31.

IMO, if the market is flooded with almost 200 premium names in 3 weeks time, and we still draw good prices at the end of Sedo.. no argument you could possibly come up with will make a bit of difference in any way to any one.

•••
snoop said:
What period of time is the "long term" term then? This extension had a very good few months from the flowers.mobi auction then sharp declines ever since (around 9 months). I think people are just "drawing a straight line where it suits their argument" to suggest this is still a rising market.

There is no such thing like "long term" for the new domain extention or ANY new venture in dynamic Internet marketing.
It's the same like to say "long term" for the stock market.

I would say this again - none can predict the MOBI popularity without
MOBI internet. There is ALMOST no MOBI media yet. Few hundred of sites
means nothing yet.

Ahh, forgot to mention regarding the flowers.mobi - i don't believe in that sale.
everything IMHO ofcourse.

•••
Anyone who bases anything on flowers.mobi doesn't have a leg to stand on because we all know that sale was a fluke.

Saying prices are falling because they don't live up to flowers.mobi is like saying you can only get rich by winning the lottery.

snoop, I thought at first that you had some valid points, but how can you base the yardstick for 88 domains to follow based on ONE sale by ONE buyer in ONE auction, and then come back and use that to measure every single susequent domain sale? That is nonsense, sorry.

You want to avoid the fact that many domains sold the other day for mid xx,xxx, and the only way you seem to be able to get around that fact is to go mention how much larger the flowers.mobi sale was. It ain't gonna work, sorry.

The market spoke the other day and it seems that blue horseshoe is starting to like .mobi.

Last edited:
•••
garrett200 said:
Anyone who bases anything on flowers.mobi doesn't have a leg to stand on because we all know that sale was a fluke.

Saying prices are falling because they don't live up to flowers.mobi is like saying you can only get rich by winning the lottery.

snoop, I thought at first that you had some valid points, but how can you base the yardstick for 88 domains to follow based on ONE sale by ONE buyer in ONE auction, and then come back and use that to measure every single susequent domain sale? That is nonsense, sorry.

The whole auction was flowers.mobi style valuations, fun.mobi (100k), hot.mobi (40k) etc. These aren't the type of valuations that are being seen today. That auction propelled the whole .mobi market (for several months), all the 3 letters went a few days later. To think the that auction didn't reset prices for the .mobi market is foolish.

garrett200 said:
You want to avoid the fact that many domains sold the other day for mid xx,xxx, and the only way you seem to be able to get around that fact is to go mention how much larger the flowers.mobi sale was. It ain't gonna work, sorry.

The market spoke the other day and it seems that blue horseshoe is starting to like .mobi.

How am I avoiding the fact that .mobi's sold for mid 5 figures? my point in the market has fallen to where it is at now, 12 months after the auctions that propelled the whole .mobi market and these names seem to be priced more at .info levels, ie the rest of the market has risen strongly whilst .mobi prices for high quality terms have fallen. There will be 5 and 6 figure .mobi sales in the future but these names are badly under performing the rest of the market - that is what domainers should be concerned with today.

•••
snoop said:
...There will be 5 and 6 figure .mobi sales in the future but these names are badly under performing the rest of the market - that is what domainers should be concerned with today.

Thank you for telling us Snoop.

Was that suggestion addressed to all domainers or to .mobi investors only?

•••
I'm done with this guy. I wasn't trying to convince him of anything anyway, I just wanted to point out the major flaws in his argument for anyone watching.

•••
snoop said:
The whole auction was flowers.mobi style valuations, fun.mobi (100k), hot.mobi (40k) etc. These aren't the type of valuations that are being seen today. That auction propelled the whole .mobi market (for several months), all the 3 letters went a few days later. To think the that auction didn't reset prices for the .mobi market is foolish.

How am I avoiding the fact that .mobi's sold for mid 5 figures? my point in the market has fallen to where it is at now, 12 months after the auctions that propelled the whole .mobi market and these names seem to be priced more at .info levels, ie the rest of the market has risen strongly whilst .mobi prices for high quality terms have fallen. There will be 5 and 6 figure .mobi sales in the future but these names are badly under performing the rest of the market - that is what domainers should be concerned with today.

sure, it has "fallen" from that level..

but for me, and most landrush guys....what it all comes down to is i paid $60 for most of my one word, mobile relevant .mobi's.

i am not concerned at all..

•••
garrett200 said:
I'm done with this guy. I wasn't trying to convince him of anything anyway, I just wanted to point out the major flaws in his argument for anyone watching.

I know exactly how you feel - had the privilege myself earlier and probably will be tempted to do so again, as I'm sure you were despite your rational expectations of the outcome.

Having said that, isn't it nice that people like Snoop show so much concern regarding the returns on investments that their worthy opponents make?

And he also tells us what to be concerned with today.

Isn't that a useful service (just add it to the list of things to be concerned with today and voila - one less thing to think about when you start your day)?

•••
Snoop get a life and go mobi baiting somewhere else like DNF, i think i speak for everyone here at the moment by saying your arguements are getting tired and boring as we've had the same many times before, all you need to do is scroll back to earlier this year for them if your that interested!

And no i'm not selling you any of my mobi's no matter how much you beg me!! LOL!

•••
snoop said:
There will be 5 and 6 figure .mobi sales in the future = Seller's Market

snoop said:
but these names are badly under performing the rest of the market = Buyer's Market.

A New Extension for a Completetly different Device = A "Brand New Market"
And has No reason to be compared to the Rest of the Market.

•••
NewWorldArk said:
There will be 5 and 6 figure .mobi sales in the future = Seller's Market

but these names are badly under performing the rest of the market = Buyer's Market.

Some of these names are selling for 5 and 6 figures now so I'm not sure I see your point.

NewWorldArk said:
And has No reason to be compared to the Rest of the Market.

Yeah right....

•••
I think the first thing people must grasp here is that in a way everyone is wrong because there really is no market reliable of producing price points that are meaningful.

A reliable market for the purpose of these comparisons takes liquidity. The same or similar product being bought and sold many times by many participants.

There is simply very little to compare here. Flowers.mobi is almost-only relevant to flowers.mobi . If it sold for $xxx,xxx a year ago, then for xx,xxx earlier this year, and recently at x,xxx well than yeah, the so-called market for .mobis may be declining.

The most relevant statement made here is the one that said they got all there single word mobi relevant domains for $60. That says the market is up and I see no comparable information to say otherwise.

...and for the comment on there only being a few hundred content sites, wazobi.mobi passed the 500 hand-inspected mobile content sites indexed last week. It is going through "soft launch" - and will have a full-on launch when the team can confidently say we have the internet's largest index of human quality-reviewed mobile ready sites (working very hard here!).

•••
meegwell said:
There is simply very little to compare here. Flowers.mobi is almost-only relevant to flowers.mobi . If it sold for $xxx,xxx a year ago, then for xx,xxx earlier this year, and recently at x,xxx well than yeah, the so-called market for .mobis may be declining.

The most relevant statement made here is the one that said they got all there single word mobi relevant domains for $60. That says the market is up and I see no comparable information to say otherwise.
This is the exact point I was trying to make, but you put it much more eloquently.

•••
meegwell said:
I think the first thing people must grasp here is that in a way everyone is wrong because there really is no market reliable of producing price points that are meaningful.

Couldn't agree more with your other points.

On this one, I would offer a refinement if I may.

"in a way everyone is wrong" is probably one of the most universal truths ever spoken, but in this context it seems to me that some people are more consistently wrong than others (and I'm looking at one particular user name).

Here is a recap of a mini-conversation that took place earlier in this excessively long thread:

Mobi Cheap said:
Snoop, when was the last time 100 of the best .net keywords were auctioned off in the same hour (using a purely online platform at that)?

snoop said:
It will never happen because those names are very tightly held. Basically .mobi is in a glut situation with the high quality names...

Mobi Cheap said:
Exactly, so aren't we wasting our time trying to compare apples to oranges?

snoop said:
No, why would it be a waste of time? We should ignore these sales or pretend they are higher because there is a glut of high quality .mobi's?

That is simply a fact of the market.

Mobi Cheap said:
You pick :)

Clearly, Either would be more informative than pretending these .mobi sales were achieved in circumstances comparable to the circumstances in which your chosen .net examples were achieved.

My observation: Just because Snoop pretends he is not aware of a crucial point doesn't mean it hasn't been made before. IMHO Snoop's approach may be a further development of Jeff's technique, insofar as he rotates his argument among a much wider range of points - so that most people forget all about the earlier points by the time he has to start repeating them.

NB: Some of Snoop's elaborations on his points have been left out of the above recap (where marked with '...') so feel free to see his exposition in its full glory from post 58 onward. Then again, given that you are adding value to real .mobi sites while we're largely wasting our time, I'm not sure re-reading Snoop's posts would be such a good idea after all.

Last edited:
•••
Forget about snoop. He only comes here to try and discredit the extension when good news happens, do you wonder why that is?

I have my guesses.

•••
Is there some kind of rule about only 1 skeptic being allowed in the .mobi forum at a time? :rolleyes:

•••
Reece said:
Is there some kind of rule about only 1 skeptic being allowed in the .mobi forum at a time? :rolleyes:
..hmmm, I really don't really know, but can we get that instated here!??! :)

•••
Mobi Cheap said:
IMHO Snoop may be a more advanced version of Jeff,

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious! :lol:

•••
meegwell said:
I'm sorry, but this is hilarious! :lol:

Dang, I just edited that!

Here is my considered opinion now:
"IMHO Snoop's approach may be a further development of Jeff's technique, insofar as he rotates his argument among a much wider range of points - so that most people forget all about the earlier points by the time he has to start repeating them."

•••
In my sesrch to educate myself on the topic of 'flame wars' (for dev purposes of course).. I ran across some very interesting articles.

Here is one I like and it seems to put things in persepctive here in this .mobi subforum. Not all apply, but over the year we have witnessed and experienced some of these tactics. :imho:

http://www.alsirat.com/flame.html

These rules are issued in the spirit of clearing up some preconceptions about the waging of flame wars. Flame wars do not require profanity, as commonly misbelieved. The following list demonstrates ways to undertake "clean" flame wars:

1. Accuse the other party of your worst faults.

2. Insist that you are an avatar of the Truth and that the other person is Falsehood incarnate, or at least "misled."

3. Dwell on errors. Correct them in others at every opportunity.

4. Never apologize unequivocably. If forced to apologize, justify yourself in a way that makes it sound like the other party was responsible for your actions.

5. Write in such a way that the other party looks stupid if they don't respond.

6. Try to be many things at once, so that you can deny everything that is said about you.

7. Say the same thing over and over again.

8. Always strive to get the last word.

9. Never let a debate rest. Never allow the other party to withdraw without making it clear that they have lost.

10. Insist that you are misunderstood.

11. If you can't find something to flame the person about, make something up.

12. Convince yourself that you see the "real" motives.

13. Remember: Winning is everything.

This is for educational purposes only.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back