IT.COM

question What have I done wrong? Please help for this newbie trying to list a domain for sale...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ashash

Established Member
Impact
Thought I would have a little play with trying to sell one of my domain names. No idea what I am doing (newbie)

It is registered with GoDaddy and I (thought I had) listed it with DAN at BIN $1611

I typed the domain into google, it came up with a Godaddy landing page. When I click on that it comes up as "premium domain name" BIN $2696.40 on GoDaddy!

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Where is the best place for a dummy to list their domains for sale without having to muck around with changing DNS etc? Or do I have to do that for all domains I want to sell?

I like the DAN landing page with the BIN and the buy in installments option. I hate the landing pages that have no price listed and you have to fill in your info. to find out the price.

Please help this dumbdumb newbie who has zero clue what they are doing!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @Ashash

The indexed landing page you're seeing (with the wrong price) is probably from an old listing for the same domain by the previous registrant.

My advice would be to send @GoDaddy a DM on this forum, and mention the exact domain name. They will be able to guide you further.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you. I haven't changed any nameservers when I listed it for sale at DAN, do I need to do that? (No idea how...)

•••
I think I figured it out - do I change the nameservers at godaddy by selecting "I'll use my own nameservers" and then putting in the DAN nameservers?

•••
Thank you. I haven't changed any nameservers when I listed it for sale at DAN, do I need to do that? (No idea how...)
Yes, you need to change them at GoDaddy, where you registered the domain. Just select the domain and change nameservers to:

ns1.dan.com
ns2.dan.com

•••
Thank you so much! I got as far as the click the button are you sure, then chickened out, thinking I would send the domain off into cyberspace unable to be found ever again!

•••
Don't be afraid. After you've changed nameservers for your domain, check the change on this website https://lookup.icann.org/

It may be that in DNS, it takes a little longer before you will be arriving at your new DAN lander. This is normal.

•••
thank you so much

The servers have changed to DAN on ICANN, but when I type the domain into a browser it still comes up with Godaddy lander. So just keep checking it and it will change by itself when the web does it's thing and updates?

•••
Yes, it takes a while, that's how DNS works.

•••
Your domain may still be listed on other marketplaces with an old price, because the previous owner did not remove the domain. That's where @GoDaddy may guide you in DM.

•••
Thank you so much, you have been so helpful, I am very appreciative.

•••
My domains were listed on Sedo their prev owner or whatever after I bought them here.

I never got around to removing off Sedo…

After a while, they removed themselves from Sedo. After many years… So, even if you are lazy to remove and dont do anything; they will be removed from other marketplaces automatically just take time; right, @Future Sensors?

Last edited:
•••
As long as if it sells I get the $$ for the domain, it could stay, but would not be happy if the previous owner also got the $$!

•••
After a while, they removed themselves from Sedo. After many years… So, even if you are lazy to remove and dont do anything; they will be removed from other marketplaces automatically update; right, @Future Sensors ?
I wouldn't count on that...

In the meantime, an incorrect price is shown to buyers, and if the domain gets sold, it is still linked to a wrong account, causing misery for everyone.

•••
I wouldn't count on that...

In the meantime, an incorrect price is shown to buyers, and if the domain gets sold, it is still linked to a wrong account, causing misery for everyone.
Yes,
but even setting 2 different BIN on different platforms is a gray area!
(Not recommended)

What if 2 diff ppl buy them from 2 diff markets…

Imagine having that problem
Seems rare… I know…

Last edited:
•••
Thought I would have a little play with trying to sell one of my domain names. No idea what I am doing (newbie)

It is registered with GoDaddy and I (thought I had) listed it with DAN at BIN $1611

I typed the domain into google, it came up with a Godaddy landing page. When I click on that it comes up as "premium domain name" BIN $2696.40 on GoDaddy!

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Where is the best place for a dummy to list their domains for sale without having to muck around with changing DNS etc? Or do I have to do that for all domains I want to sell?

I like the DAN landing page with the BIN and the buy in installments option. I hate the landing pages that have no price listed and you have to fill in your info. to find out the price.

Please help this dumbdumb newbie who has zero clue what they are doing!
#1 you ARE NOT a dumddumb..I am new too and we are learning!!! Good look in all that you do!!!!

•••
Yes,
but even setting 2 different BIN on different platforms is a gray area!
(Not recommended)

What if 2 diff ppl buy them from 2 diff markets…

Imagine having that problem
Seems rare… I know…
Different prices on different marketplaces can cause confusion to the potential buyer. So trying to rectify this quickly makes sense.
For someone to intentionally set those different prices may make sense, in that a higher price on one marketplace could reflect the higher commissions there. But probably is a practice best avoided.
BIN on multiple platforms can be risky. If listed directly to multiple marketplaces through a registrar like Dynadot, there migt be some protection, as the domain would be directly locked by them pressumably with a sale.

•••
#1 you ARE NOT a dumddumb..I am new too and we are learning!!! Good look in all that you do!!!!
And you too, taylorjean. Can all be a bit confusing!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back