IT.COM

question What happens if someone is trying to buy a domain in my add to cart?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Denismth

Established Member
Impact
I added one domain to the cart and kept on searching another so I may buy two domains together. It took me some time and suddenly I panicked thinking someone might buy the domain in my cart. So I stopped searching the other and just before continuing, I made a search for the same domain on another registrar, guess what? it is still available for purchase. Then I continued purchasing the domain.

Do the registrars read each other in a minute or even seconds level? How does this thing work? I am asking just out of curiosity. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you really want the name them check out as soon as you can. Anything can happen in a matter of seconds. Especially on NamePros you have thousands of members watching you.

•••
OOh No but it is on Namecheap :) I was using Hostgator in the past but totally shifted to Namecheap after years with Hostgator.

Last edited:
•••
Until you hit the pay button, nothing is certain. Even after you hit the pay button it's not always certain. Sometimes registrars have glitches where a domain shows as available and you can even buy it. But it will never appear in your account and you'll get a refund a few days later.

Basically, when you buy a domain from an organisation like Godaddy, Godaddy sends the request to the domain registry, who then releases the domain to the requesting registrar.

This normally happens almost immediately, but there can be delays.

If I was to buy the same domain as you via another registrar, and we did it at exactly the same time, the result would be dependent on how fast the registrar made the request.

Equally, if I bought a domain on godaddy whilst you were browsing namecheap, you would likely still see the name as available. Until you tried to buy it.

Normally at the point of sale a lookup is made by the registrar and this would normally flag that the domain has gone. But that's not always fullproof, hence the issue I mentioned at the start.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the explanation. I can understand that there can be delays as it happens to a lot of domains I buy. they do not load as soon as I buy them due to propagation or something. So in the same manner there can be delays and so discrepancies as to the availabilities of domains.

So the key is to buy fast I guess.

•••
•••
•••
If he wouldn't have hand-regged google at google domains he might have been able to keep it for more then 1 minute, but then again google has such powerful lawyers they'd get it back.

•••
If you really want the name them check out as soon as you can. Anything can happen in a matter of seconds. Especially on NamePros you have thousands of members watching you.

Can namepros members know what I registered today?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Can namepros members know what I registered today?
Or if you have distinct whois contacts and that we were to scan the zone for newly registered names and then check the whois for all of these. But doing that is not really allowed, or recommended at all.
You would also need to find ways to go around whois limits, as sending 100k whois requests per day to registrars is already a lot

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back