Domain Empire

Domain in my GoDaddy cart – Can someone else buy it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DrJacoby

Top Member
Impact
When I've managed to find a premium domain name and put it in my cart at Godaddy, can someone else still buy it, or is it "reserved" for me?

If so, for how long?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you very much @Joe Styler! You completely answered my question. :)

I'm a beginner at this, and so far have only purchased 6-7 domain names intended for flipping (although I have developed a few websites over the last couple of years). I'm pretty sure I haven't found any gems yet, but that's ok as I'm trying to keep costs down while learning as much as possible.

I will definitely consider the Discount Domain Club once I feel confident I can make a profit.

Yes, I would really appreciate your opinion on the only semi-decent ones so far:
  • Philippines.cc (haven't landed in my account yet)
  • MakeAuction.com
  • CigarMaking.com

Thanks!

You can start an appraisal thread if you want and probably a good idea to read the forum and research before going on buying sprees. I see some new people here on NP think they know everything on day 1 (not aiming that at you but there are a few good examples right now in the appraisal section) and will regret it in a year when renewals come. Good luck to you sir.

Last edited:
•••
I dont like makeauction the other two are ok names. I think they are good for your first attempts. It is harder to sell a .cc domain but country domains are good. I would stick to .com at first if you can they are easier to resell and I would think before buying, how many people/companies would be interested in this domain for their business? What value would it add for them? How much money could they make if they had it or their competitors make? I also look at some other things when registering domains if I hand register them. How many other extensions are taken, or tlds such as net and org etc. Who owns these other extensions, who used to own the domain you are buying now (check whois history or archive.org) if it was another domain investor for a beginner I would avoid names already registered by other investors or where other extensions of the same exact word are taken by other investors and not businesses.

I like that you are sticking to generic terms that is the way it should be done. I wouldnt buy a domain to sell to one party or someone who owns a similar one, but I do look at the other extensions, if they are not registered it is probably because the name is bad and no one wants it. If someone does want your domain they can buy it from you or they can buy the .net for 12 bucks they have options. If they are all taken they have less options this makes the domain more in demand and valuable because it shows many other people think that that word combination is meaningful and useful for their business. If it is a bunch of parked pages in the other extensions then the buyer has all those other options they can buy if they ask those owners, and if investors are all parking them, guess what no one else bought them either so it's just us investors who think they are valuable :) If an investor used to own your domain when you check archive.org that means they didn't sell it so you probably wont either.

These are general guidelines and not hard and fast rules, but something to consider until you get your feet under you and can really decide this is a good name no matter what and buy it.

As a test I would try and sell the three names you have. Reach out to people and see if they are interested. Why or why not, what are the answers, that will help you understand what poeple are looking for or not when buying domains. And as an Afternic guy I would list them for sale there afternic.com it will get them in front of buyers all over the world and someone may be looking for them right now. If it were me I would price all those names between 1-2k and list them and see what happens.

Good luck.
This is pure gold to me. Thank you very much!! I really appreciate your advice! :)

You can start an appraisal thread if you want and probably a good idea to read the forum and research before going on buying sprees. I see some new people here on NP think they know everything on day 1 (not aiming that at you but there are a few good examples right now in the appraisal section) and will regret it in a year when renewals come. Good luck to you sir.
Yes, I have started appraisal threads for two of the three domains, but I just had to take the chance for a professional's opinion. Sorry.

I'm reading on Namepros (and elsewhere) every day right now. Domaining is a fascinating new world! But I'm a stingy bargain hunter by heart so I won't go on a buying spree. I'm just not wired that way.

Thanks, and good luck to you too! :)

•••
I dont like makeauction the other two are ok names. I think they are good for your first attempts. It is harder to sell a .cc domain but country domains are good. I would stick to .com at first if you can they are easier to resell and I would think before buying, how many people/companies would be interested in this domain for their business? What value would it add for them? How much money could they make if they had it or their competitors make? I also look at some other things when registering domains if I hand register them. How many other extensions are taken, or tlds such as net and org etc. Who owns these other extensions, who used to own the domain you are buying now (check whois history or archive.org) if it was another domain investor for a beginner I would avoid names already registered by other investors or where other extensions of the same exact word are taken by other investors and not businesses.

I like that you are sticking to generic terms that is the way it should be done. I wouldnt buy a domain to sell to one party or someone who owns a similar one, but I do look at the other extensions, if they are not registered it is probably because the name is bad and no one wants it. If someone does want your domain they can buy it from you or they can buy the .net for 12 bucks they have options. If they are all taken they have less options this makes the domain more in demand and valuable because it shows many other people think that that word combination is meaningful and useful for their business. If it is a bunch of parked pages in the other extensions then the buyer has all those other options they can buy if they ask those owners, and if investors are all parking them, guess what no one else bought them either so it's just us investors who think they are valuable :) If an investor used to own your domain when you check archive.org that means they didn't sell it so you probably wont either.

These are general guidelines and not hard and fast rules, but something to consider until you get your feet under you and can really decide this is a good name no matter what and buy it.

As a test I would try and sell the three names you have. Reach out to people and see if they are interested. Why or why not, what are the answers, that will help you understand what poeple are looking for or not when buying domains. And as an Afternic guy I would list them for sale there afternic.com it will get them in front of buyers all over the world and someone may be looking for them right now. If it were me I would price all those names between 1-2k and list them and see what happens.

Good luck.
Joe those were some very good tips....Thanks.

•••
I once registered a domain from GoDaddy and it was in my portfolio. They took it away the next day and said that someone registered it before me and it was put in my portfolio by mistake. (I don't believe it.)
did you get a refund?

•••
did you get a refund?
Yes, I received a refund and a credit for $25 (if I remember correctly). I still wanted the domain, though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back