NameSilo

discuss Well, .xyz has done it again!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brandon.Domains

Successful Internet Entrepreneur Since 1998Established Member
Impact
With their $0.18 to $1.17 / domain registration promo involving multiple Registrars, they managed to jump from 2.9 million to almost 3.9 million registrations in only 4 days. 1 million new domain registrations in a couple of days. Hats off.

Unlike printing money (quantitative easing) deflates the value of a currency, selling more domains in a certain extension actually increases the value of these domains. Suddenly, LLLL.xyz and NNNN.xyz have become interesting, not to mention dictionary word xyz's.

They run the best marketing of all new gTLDs. Let's hope .vip will follow suit.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are now at over 5 million registrations. Booooom.

•••
But how many were registered by real end users, and are not defensive registrations, and how many were not registered by spammers, speculators, chancers and dreamers ?

•••
It's debatable whether value increases or decreases when more registrations occur, you can't tell until we see it actually happen or not. Can't really compare it to currency.

And being the cheapest option available isn't really great marketing, it's just undercutting competition. With more registrations comes more low quality domain names in the secondary marketplace, more spam, more squatters, etc.

•••
If domainers want .xyz to appear to be more legitimate and valuable, maybe they should be developing sites and making them rank highly in the search engines so that it gets more exposure. Having thousands more undeveloped domains does nothing to increase awareness or a subconscious familiarity/comfort with the extension like we have with .com, .org and others.

•••
But how many were registered by real end users, and are not defensive registrations, and how many were not registered by spammers, speculators, chancers and dreamers ?
I have to agree with you. 99.987572% were probably not ends users. Overall, I do not think this will help the cause of opening people's & businesses eyes to xyz.
I do plan on developing 1 or 2 that I got. And possibly keep a few more that I like.

•••
I tend to think that if a business has a product that costs $1 and they sell it at 50 cents it is not a particularly good model?

•••
It's usually called government subsidies I think.​

•••
Year 1: We will be the most successful and fastest growing extension (Need to stuff free regs in Netsol accounts to boost registrations)

Year 2: We are the most successful and fastest growing extension. (Need to sell @ $1 to keep growing)

Year 3: We are the most successful and fastest growing extension. (Need to sell as low as $0.01 to keep growing)

I will leave it up to you to guess what will happen in year 4.

•••
Year 1: We will be the most successful and fastest growing extension (Need to stuff free regs in Netsol accounts to boost registrations)

Year 2: We are the most successful and fastest growing extension. (Need to sell @ $1 to keep growing)

Year 3: We are the most successful and fastest growing extension. (Need to sell as low as $0.01 to keep growing)

I will leave it up to you to guess what will happen in year 4.

True but that's their marketing strategy. When needed, they throw in a special and let registrars register domains for prime cost. The actual profit comes one year later from renewals. On 2nd and 3rd anniversary there has been no decrease in total registered domains. In fact, the total number of registered domains increased (in part certainly thanks to their marketing strategy).

Now that they have almost 6 million (!) domains registered, one-word, two-word, L4, N4, (...) have gained in value and provide a solid foundation for renewal income at regular price.

Brilliant marketing. I bet they reinvested a good deal of their operating income to come to this point.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
All they have to reach is critical mass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_(sociodynamics)

"In social dynamics, critical mass is a sufficient number of adopters of an innovation in a social system so that the rate of adoption becomes self-sustaining and creates further growth."

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back