IT.COM

discuss Discontinued Theory: “Sorry this domain extension has been discontinued.”

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

shayan

Established Member
Impact
Suppose that this continually increasing number is not indicative to this rise in this number. That is to say, let us assume that as the number of internet users increase, there will be a divergence, or, a weak correlation, between the number of internet users and the number of websites online. If this possibility does turn out to be true, then arguments such as “nGTLDs, and domain investing are completely useless; the number of supply in domain names is exponentially far greater than the demand, no matter which way you look at it…..etc” then, can become valid points.

However, here is where it gets interesting, and the motivation of creating this thread: Now, imagine, at some point, registries, such as GoDaddy, decide to discontinue domain extensions: “Dear users, due to ____ and ___, the domain extension ‘.media’ will no longer be a product sold by us, as the registry has decided to discontinue all available registrations associated with the '.media' domain extension. However, customers who currently own the ‘.media’ domain extension, will be able to continue to hold their registration, until they choose to drop their domain renewal.” -GoDaddy

With such a transition, the environment of domains changes, effective immediately. There is no reason for me to write an in-depth analysis of the economic and social implications of how such a policy would change things, but the change within the social system among Internet users would be huge. This would create immediate scarcity, which effectively causes a limitation to the total number of websites possible on the internet. Now, not only is the social system competing for their own social space, but, there are real net changes within the participation environment, where, to participate as an operator on the internet (whether you’re running your own store, blog, hosting, etc…), it will require you to obtain a piece of space (domain), of which that is now in scarce quantity. Now, let’s say such new policies (discontinuations) introduced are made in increments, that is, the registries implement one domain discontinuation every 30 days (or, if that's too extreme, just think one-two discontinuations per year, or, two years). Is this nothing to be concerned about? Well, when such a pattern is introduced, you better be prepared to witness investors such as Alibaba Cloud Computing Ltd. to increase their current market share of gTLDs from their current 17.84% to 30-40%, or whatever they are able to purchase. Now, multiply this possibility, where, other big name corporations and investors increasing their purchases in domains, because they are witnessing domains being discontinued. Now are you scared? If you thought 200k domain registrations in one day was a lot, now consider 4 million a day, as people rush to register before they are discontinued, or registered by someone else. This is certainly a possible scenario when faced with the environment where domain extensions are being discontinued and reduced in quantity.

What is the real percentage possibility of this actually occurring? Could this happen tomorrow? We already are reading about CEOs, like Uniregistry’s Frank Schilling, reporting an increase of 3000% on a select few domains. Well, this is where it starts. First they increase registration costs, this creates (1) financial scarcity: It’s even more expensive now to purchase domains, relative to what the prices were yesterday. Next, for companies like Uniregistry, they’re going to want their other business segments, such as their buying/selling of existing domains, to earn more profits. They already have thousands of hungry brokers, right? So, as a result, they’ll likely start increasing the scarcity of the domains through, (2) physical scarcity: by way of closing up the total amount of possible registrations possible. Although I and you cannot forecast when these changes will happen, we all know that the first implementation of this possibility is already in effect: starting in September 2017, some domain extensions will be financially more expensive to own. This is the start. Now please, don’t bash and say “oh, that’s only on ‘x’ and ‘y’ extensions”. Rather, understand what they are currently doing, and adapt that analysis to a more intermediate timeframe. Also, that is only referencing one company, you can analyze this by using a multiplier, where, effectively other companies similar to Uniregistry follow the pattern.

No one has ever appreciated something until it became scarce:
  1. Maybe you never appreciated public transportation until that one month your public transportation stopped operating and you had to walk for two hours to get to your destination;
  2. Maybe you never appreciated someone, until that someone had xx days remaining to live;
  3. Maybe you never fully appreciated your living conditions, until you went to a city/country where their living conditions were disproportionately much worse than yours;
I can keep going, but I hope we’re all on the same track of understanding what I’m trying to communicate here.

We’ve had the freedom of registering any kind of domain name, on any kind of extension you could imagine. But, this might not last forever. You won’t understand or appreciate this current environment that we have with respect to domain registrations - at the quantity currently availability and the current costs of registrations - until they increase; for example, the day your renewal price is $500 or, to realize that buying another domain for your next company may cost you $5000-$10000 at least. These are very possible outcomes that can occur. I would not be surprised to see if this is the future environment.

On a final note, something more fun, but real, and related to what is being discussed here, I wanted to discuss the Party Hat mania in RuneScape. So unless you played that game, or know what the Party Hats are, you might not fully understand, but it is still worth reading the following: In RuneScape (a MMORPG), during the year 2001 Christmas event, "Party Hats" (literally just a normal hat you could equip on your character to wear in the game) were showered during the Christmas event. There were thousands, if not, millions of these hats. Anyone who was online playing the game at the time of the event, didn’t get one or two Party Hats, but instead, got at least four-five Party Hats. The value at that time for these Party Hats were 1 coin. Literally, a penny’s worth in that game (everyone had one!). Many people, after the event, sold it to the NPC (non-player character) or simply deleted them. However, these Party Hats became discontinued. Since 2001, they have become to be known as the most valuable item in the game, where today, one Party Hat costs over 2 billion gold (maximum amount of gold you can possibly own in the game). That’s all I wanted to share regarding RuneScape. One item that was so freely available during one period, became discontinued, that since its discontinuation, has, for every day, caused its value to increase. The RuneScape case-study was not meant to be a direct possible comparison, but it was only to show the real social and economic implications of changing something freely available to becoming discontinued/limited/scarce; effectively, what this thread is focused on: The Discontinuation Theory.

No one has ever fully appreciated something until it became scarce.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
-nm-

Last edited:
•••
Even if every extension ever created were to be discontinued except for one, lets say .org for example, there would still be the ability to have something like 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 different websites running on that extension alone. Every string is allowed a maximum of 63 characters in the prefix registration, so it allows for an enormous amount of different combinations.

Just because something is discontinued doesn't make it valuable. Granted, certain names would be sought after, just as they are now. However, many of the new G's should never have been let out the gate to begin with, given their low quality or usage likelihood.

•••
Well worth the read, long but very true ...

•••
I like your RuneScape Party Hat comparison. It would be a brave move for a registry to try it.

From a historical perspective, this happened twice at the registry level already creating scarcity and value increases for a subset of domains. First, with one letter .COM -- which were at one time freely available to register. Some registrants didn't renew when the registry started charging $100/yr. When dropped, the registry didn't allow them to be re-registered, which led to the few one-letter .COMs remaining being among the most rare and highly valued domains in existence.

This happened again on a smaller scale when the .org registry disallowed new registrations of two character .orgs. I don't think they gave notice either. The existing ones can be renewed indefinitely, and demand and prices for them increased significantly after the restriction was made.

Last edited:
•••
An articulate, yet very long post based on false assumptions. The idea that an armageddon scenario will take place in the domain name space affecting one or more extension is not realistic at all. The days of dangerous scarcity is long gone. The dot com is (and seems) will always be king. Everything else is irrelevant. Even - as someone else has already mentioned - all extensions are taken to the back of the barn and shot in the head except one, there is no fear that the Internet or the domain name space is in any danger. And the idea that an extension will fold YET they will forever keep the domains that are already registered is a ridiculous thought. There is a 25K yearly ICANN fee and if the registry can meet that obligation and make a bit of money to run it, it will stay afloat or sell to a competitor who can handle it. If it seems like a total loss it will be folded by ICANN in the same manner as it did to certain (ccTLD) extensions when a country seizes to exist. ex. (.yu) Yugoslavia which folded in March 2010.
So bottom line, the internet will correct itself. Some will experience some loss when a TLD is folded/deleted but it is not the end of the world. and those who are invested in it like Google and other giants will find ways to get things rolling again. Do you remember the many sites that were either selling or just giving away subdomains, that can happen again if there is some kind of real scarcity and unbearable prices. Short domains will come to the rescue and be their own registries. This brings CenterNIC to mind who built registries on short .com domains like uk.com us.com de.com and many others. People are resourceful and the internet is here to stay and be accessible to all and it will adjust quickly to any danger to the overall functionality. So what I read above is just a far fetched scenario.

•••
@RJ - think there is also 2C BIZ that are reclaimed by registry as they are dropped

Short domains will come to the rescue and be their own registries.

Fingers crossed that someday you are right!

<-- Owner of many short domains : thumbs up :

•••
there has never been a scarcity of domain names nor will there ever be one.

what we have and always had is a scarcity of "premium" domain names.

It is not even a real scarcity in the sense that all domains are being used up(most are not being used) but in the sense that you can not get them for regfee anymore.

•••
Well written, immersive and thought provoking.

•••
Well written, immersive and thought provoking.
Thank you slader23. I think we both can agree on this fundamental truth, quoted by Warren Buffet himself:

https://cdn.rule_violation.com/attachments/301954484362280961/383498133256142848/unknown.png

•••
This thread is more true today than when I posted it!
be prepared to witness investors such as Alibaba Cloud Computing Ltd. to increase their current market share of gTLDs from their current 17.84% to 30-40%, or whatever they are able to purchase...

Quite interesting. This thread is more relevant today than when I first created it -- and that is just as expected, and still only the very beginning.

At the time of creating the thread, Alibaba Cloud Computing Ltd.'s market share of gTLDs was 17.84%. Today, their market share of gTLDs represents 25.20%. Indeed, Alibaba currently owns more than 1/4 of the entire gTLD market. This new change in market share represents an increase of 39%.

•••
This thread is more true today than when I posted it!

Quite interesting. This thread is more relevant today than when I first created it -- and that is just as expected, and still only the very beginning.

At the time of creating the thread, Alibaba Cloud Computing Ltd.'s market share of gTLDs was 17.84%. Today, their market share of gTLDs represents 25.20%. Indeed, Alibaba currently owns more than 1/4 of the entire gTLD market. This new change in market share represents an increase of 39%.

Shayan, that is certainly interesting ! Do you have any links to the data you’re discussing ~

Happy Easter btw ! ;)

•••
Shayan, that is certainly interesting ! Do you have any links to the data you’re discussing ~

Happy Easter btw ! ;)
Alex, I found this out via https://ntldstats.com/, under Top 30 Registrars.

Happy Easter and belated birthday! :)

6A082506-4B47-49D8-AD27-BB0AD3FE3168.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
With all due respect, I don't think that you understand the domain name business and the important part that demand plays in making a TLD successful.

Most of the Chinese market gTLDs are high turnover gTLDs in that they do not have a high renewal rate of domain names. The renewal rate for some of the top new gTLDs is below 10%. That means that approximately 90% of the domain names registered do not get renewed on their first renewal.

Many of the larger new gTLDs are almost completely dependent on discounting offers with the first year heavily discounted and the second year at full registration fee. This is why so many of these domain names are deleted. It is cheaper to register a domain name, let it delete and then register a new one rather than the full renewal fee. This is what you, and many others, who group the new gTLDs as a single TLD don't understand. They are different gTLDs with different dynamics. Some of them have already failed and have been revoked. The .WED gTLD has been in the EBERO (the ICANN version of redemption period for gTLDs) for a few months now and it only has approximately 43 domain names.

For some inexperienced gTLD operators, the happy-clappy dream of millions of registrations has turned into a nightmare of low registration volumes and poor renewal rates. Some new gTLDs are doing well and are seeing development and usage. However, simplistic analysis based on incorrect assumptions and a lack of knowledge of the domain name business are really not helpful as they can give domainers an incorrect view of the situation with new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Jmcc,

With all due respect, I don’t believe you’re seeing the bigger picture here ~ .wed really ? People expect to put up $200,000 and make $1M’s off an extension like this, they deserve to lose it, an extension like that isn’t going to make millions, only if Google buys ABC.wed (pardon the pun).
And you oughta see the prices paid for domain extensions resold by big corporation, .WEB $100M + (Resell GTLDs) now that’s how the cookie crumbles and the reason why people even think about the idea ~ and not just think but act, there is a lot of money being pushed into these extensions especially the top 10 ~ billions in-fact

Forget domains for a minute, let’s discuss China. China has always been known for manipulating “anything” in attempt to secure their own agenda ~ this manipulation is ultimately adding up to something ^ unforeseeable by either you or me or Shayan ~ but it does exist without question, otherwise it is a complete waste of money on behalf of Alibaba to hold these names and purchase these names for Resell >>>

As a domain broker with previous engagements with Chinese investors and Chinese domain registrars, I can tell you there are only two known GTLDs that are peddled onto the streets to Chinese domain investors, .xyz and .mr ~ and even then the numbers are incredibly low, so why does Alibaba have all these names in the 1st place, how did they get better prices then everyone else ? By investing nothing ? Someone is spending a fortune.

You won’t (scratch that / don’t) see Alibaba marketing GTLDs for sale to Chinese citizens (typical investors), the attempt of holding is to seek new grounds for investment and build up the supply and cause demand among Chinese investors, once the demand develops further in the USA and Europe ~ Alibaba “Jack Ma” and TenCent “Pony Ma” are not idiots ... But this demand is not going to come tomorrow or next week or even next year, and only a few chinese investors know this and are willing to keep hush hush about it ...

The Chinese can be very patient when they want to be; however the typical Chinese investor is not looking for long term investments like Alibaba, the typical Chinese investor wants fast money, the faster, the better ~ Alibaba’s holdings are at the highest, because they are patient ~

https://icannwiki.org/.alibaba ~ and you might say why use .com instead of .alibaba and to that I say, why ruin infrastructure when you don’t have to ~ others will do it for you, time is all it takes.

And if you didn’t know, the Chinese government has banned many LIQUID domains in China, including 123.com, 111.com and other premium NNN.com for Resell in order to control the idea of money laundering ~ Wealthy Chinese domain investors have used LIQUID domains for the sole purpose of money laundering, and why do you think China shut down digital currency exchanges in China and why do you think land trading is controlled by the government and the restrictions between Chinese investments in the United States ~ its all a scheme ~

And then ... well we don’t really know yet what is to come of tomorrow or next year or even 10 years from now, but what we do know is the Chinese are being rather sly about what goes on in that part of the world ~

Last edited:
•••
I don't see much more here than a strangely concocted conspiracy theory and a lot of conjecture.

Scarcity alone doesn't make something valuable. It's the combination of demand and scarcity that does so. There's not enough demand for any new gTLDs. Most people don't know they exist, so most won't care if they stop existing.

•••
An articulate, yet very long post based on false assumptions.

Would you explain, please, what assumptions are false, and why?

The days of dangerous scarcity is long gone. The dot com is (and seems) will always be king. Everything else is irrelevant.

Care to share your assumptions for these claims, what are the grounds behind these statements?

•••
Jmcc,

With all due respect, I don’t believe you’re seeing the bigger picture here ~ .wed really ? People expect to put up $200,000 and make $1M’s off an extension like this, they deserve to lose it, an extension like that isn’t going to make millions, only if Google buys ABC.wed (pardon the pun).
Alessandro,
more than most posters on here, I do see the bigger picture. I'm not just a domainer. I see things that you and others do not see and that includes the renewal rates and the usage rates. This isn't the Cargo-Cult "parking" stuff from NTLDstats but the real usage rates and some of it is quite terrifying for the long-term prospects for some new gTLDs. They have locked themselves into a boom and bust cycle that is dependent on chasing the next discounting deal. The renewal rate for new registrations from February 2017 for one NGT is 0.66%. Normally, there's a three month delay before ICANN publishes the official statistics but discounting registrars and their clients tend to be quite aggressive on deletions.

[And you oughta see the prices paid for domain extensions resold by big corporation, .WEB $100M + (Resell GTLDs) now that’s how the cookie crumbles and the reason why people even think about the idea ~ and not just think but act, there is a lot of money being pushed into these extensions especially the top 10 ~ billions in-fact
The politcs of .WEB are complex. The .NET is in decline and has been for years and the .WEB gTLD is, perhaps, the only new gTLD with the potential to challenge .NET TLD.

Forget domains for a minute, let’s discuss China. China has always been known for manipulating “anything” in attempt to secure their own agenda ~ this manipulation is ultimately adding up to something ^ unforeseeable by either you or me or Shayan ~ but it does exist without question, otherwise it is a complete waste of money on behalf of Alibaba to hold these names and purchase these names for Resell
Again, you think that you and Shayan understand what is going on and nobody else does. The whole speculative nature of Chinese registrations and the CHiPs was noticed well before you, Shayan or many other domainers even had a clue about what was happening. You only saw the peak of the bubble but the start of the CHiP bubble happened approximately six months prior to the peak. It was a repeat of the 4L bubble that happened in 2007/2008. It was a classic stoke, pump and dump situation.

As a domain broker with previous engagements with Chinese investors and Chinese domain registrars, I can tell you there are only two known GTLDs that are peddled onto the streets to Chinese domain investors, .xyz and .mr ~ and even then the numbers are incredibly low, so why does Alibaba have all these names in the 1st place, how did they get better prices then everyone else ? By investing nothing ? Someone is spending a fortune.
And you don't know how these domain names are being used, do you? Domain names are often used as a loss leader to upsell the customer on a hosting package.

And then ... well we don’t really know yet what is to come of tomorrow or next year or even 10 years from now, but what we do know is the Chinese are being rather sly about what goes on in that part of the world ~
You don't. The people who study the statistics and trends do. The set of Chinese registrations in the new gTLDs is quite unusual in comparison to the set of Rest of the World registrations. Chinese registrations are low renewal rate and highly speculative. As a set, they don't renew well and many are dependent on heavy discounting. Some countries have strong renewal rates that reflect their economies and their web usage rates also reflect this in that they tend to have more developed websites. The Chinese market is highly speculative and high turnover with low renewal rates.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Alessandro,
more than most posters on here, I do see the bigger picture. I'm not just a domainer. I see things that you and others do not see and that includes the renewal rates and the usage rates. This isn't the Cargo-Cult "parking" stuff from NTLDstats but the real usage rates and some of it is quite terrifying for the long-term prospects for some new gTLDs. They have locked themselves into a boom and bust cycle that is dependent on chasing the next discounting deal. The renewal rate for new registrations from February 2017 for one NGT is 0.66%. Normally, there's a three month delay before ICANN publishes the official statistics but discounting registrars and their clients tend to be quite aggressive on deletions.

The politcs of .WEB are complex. The .NET is in decline and has been for years and the .WEB gTLD is, perhaps, the only new gTLD with the potential to challenge .NET TLD.

Again, you think that you and Shayan understand what is going on and nobody else does. The whole speculative nature of Chinese registrations and the CHiPs was noticed well before you, Shayan or many other domainers even had a clue about what was happening. You only saw the peak of the bubble but the start of the CHiP bubble happened approximately six months prior to the peak. It was a repeat of the 4L bubble that happened in 2007/2008. It was a classic stoke, pump and dump situation.

And you don't know how these domain names are being used, do you? Domain names are often used as a loss leader to upsell the customer on a hosting package.

You don't. The people who study the statistics and trends do. The set of Chinese registrations in the new gTLDs is quite unusual in comparison to the set of Rest of the World registrations. Chinese registrations are low renewal rate and highly speculative. As a set, they don't renew well and many are dependent on heavy discounting. Some countries have strong renewal rates that reflect their economies and their web usage rates also reflect this in that they tend to have more developed websites. The Chinese market is highly speculative and high turnover with low renewal rates.

Regards...jmcc

Ahhh *shoots a shot* however you are really only discussing territories relevant to domain investors and resellers looking for the next big thing. who are the number one investors in the domain industry and have been since the beginning of this 20 year revolution, which is absolutely nothing in terms of expansion and growth in any real industry ~

The only long term prospects that are scary for new GTLDs is your idea that investors are always going to succeed off a domain extension or that there goal is to resell and profit, go ahead and disguise yourself as Kate for a minute and list all the extension that have collapsed or are going to collapse given your knowledge of statistics ~ I can tell you the list you will provide is dumbfounded, .McDonalds, .MontBlanc, etc.

I never insinuated I knew anything, only you did ~
I believe the words “unforseeable” and “unknowing” means a humble demeanor for that which no one knows for definitive fact ~ I live by a couple rules, one of which is; assumptions are the mother of all f#*% ups.

By the way; here’s something interesting as well, .VIP is probably thee No° 1 GTLD extension in China at this moment, and investors are actually reselling liquid domains with the .VIP extension

Sure your renewal rates are low but you’re an absolute idiot, if you truly believe “20 years” is enough time to decide (something is what it is) to a multi billion, if not trillion dollar industry ~ the fact that people are wasting their hard earned cash on a supposed dying industry according to you, is incorrect.

It’s like being a phone company, take a look and see where phones have gone,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_telephone

In 150 years you have seen mankind develop an intelligence unlike anything one could have ever predicted or imagined and now these old phones have only grown more rare ^ and more expensive, they will continue to do so, the .com era will last as long as the internet does but more companies will either invest in their own extension or market off an extension that is cheaper then buying the EMD in .com for their name, especially start-ups with little capital are using GTLDs to represent their business, and the future to which they behold, and when the success is granted, they should purchase the .com as it is the most recognizable extension in existence, and probably will continue to be in these growing times.

And a question of curiosity for my own accord, would you be that individual to say other “intelligent life” doesn’t exist in this universe; when there is 60,000,000,000 galaxies, all because you haven’t seen another intelligent species in person ?

Best Regards,

Alex

Attachments

• 6077DB9E-A3B1-4DBB-B207-1CB7B900B61A.png
    6077DB9E-A3B1-4DBB-B207-1CB7B900B61A.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 78
  • E59B5011-2227-4CDB-9C70-69386688500C.png
    E59B5011-2227-4CDB-9C70-69386688500C.png
    926.2 KB · Views: 72
  • A9234CDF-562B-41B9-AE7F-10B6B269A3BC.png
    A9234CDF-562B-41B9-AE7F-10B6B269A3BC.png
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
•••
Am I the only one who has no idea what this thread is about anymore?

•••
Ahhh *shoots a shot* however you are really only discussing territories relevant to domain investors and resellers looking for the next big thing. who are the number one investors in the domain industry and have been since the beginning of this 20 year revolution, which is absolutely nothing in terms of expansion and growth in any real industry ~
No, I am looking at complete TLDs and how they are used. This is something that people like you never see but you still convince yourselves that you have the whole picture. You don't understand that Domaining and domain investment is only a small part of a TLD's market. Twenty year revolution? So those of us who were registering domain names before then didn't know what we were doing?

The only long term prospects that are scary for new GTLDs is your idea that investors are always going to succeed off a domain extension or that there goal is to resell and profit, go ahead and disguise yourself as Kate for a minute and list all the extension that have collapsed or are going to collapse given your knowledge of statistics ~ I can tell you the list you will provide is dumbfounded, .McDonalds, .MontBlanc, etc.
No. You just don't understand TLDs and what makes them successes or failures. It is that simple. The list of revoked gTLDs provided by Kate applies mainly to brand gTLDs which are a separate type of gTLD to ordinary gTLDs which are open for public registrations. The essential element for any successful TLD is usage. It is used by people and people see it. People then develop websites on the TLD. If a TLD fails to get enough usage, development in a TLD stops and the TLD begins to decline. Most failed TLDs have a long slow death because of renewals but they eventually lose enough registrations and the TLD is not able to cover its operating costs. That's why the EBERO thing was included with the latest round of new gTLDs because the prospect of some of the 1,200 new gTLDs failing was real and it has already happened.

I never insinuated I knew anything, only you did ~
Not quite. I said that you and Shayan didn't understand TLDs and their markets.

By the way; here’s something interesting as well, .VIP is probably thee No° 1 GTLD extension in China at this moment, and investors are actually reselling liquid domains with the .VIP extension
It is a highly speculative gTLD with approximately 87.63% no-content domain names.

Sure your renewal rates are low but you’re an absolute idiot, if you truly believe “20 years” is enough time to decide (something is what it is) to a multi billion, if not trillion dollar industry ~ the fact that people are wasting their hard earned cash on a supposed dying industry according to you, is incorrect.
You are the one who came up with an obvious strawman argument about your "20 year revolution". You don't seem to understand the importance of renewal rates.

High renewal rates are a vote of confidence in a TLD. They are high because people are using the domain names for e-mail, websites and other reasons. Domainers and investors also consider the TLD to be worthy of investment and are also renewing their domain names. With low renewal rate gTLDs, there is no such confidence in the TLD. One of the major factors in low renewal rates is heavy discounting on first year registrations. The majority of such heavily discounted registrations will not be renewed. Once a TLD is locked into a boom and bust cycle caused by heavy discounting, the TLD stops being an investment worthy TLD and development generally grinds to a halt over a period of approximately three years as people who had developed sites on the TLD move to other TLDs such as .COM or ccTLDs.

they will continue to do so, the .com era will last as long as the internet does but more companies will either invest in their own extension
You do not understand why brand gTLDs were created. The simple answer is that prior to the last round of new gTLDs, cybersquatting and Intellectual Property infringement was rife due to Domain Tasting and thousands of infringing domain names were being registered each day. The big brand name owners found it very difficult to protect their brands so the Brand gTLD was sold to them as the obvious solution. However, ICANN was shamed into taking action against Domain Tasting and it introduced a "restocking fee" that effectively destroyed the financial viability of large scale Domain Tasting. Before this "restocking" fee, it was free for registrars to taste a domain name for the five day Add Grace Period and then delete the domain name without having to pay anything if the domain name didn't make enough on PPC to justify its registration fee. That effectively killed large scale Domain Tasting and with it much of the rationale for Brand gTLDs. There is also a hidden cost for a brand owner in transferring its existing network infrastructure to a Brand gTLD and some of those brand owners that abandoned their gTLDs would have run into this problem.

The Domain Tasting issue also affected the ordinary market and led to extremely high prices for .COM and .NET domain names. This was because the entire day's drop for some gTLDs was being hoovered up and tasted so that ordinary users never got any good drops. This was an artificial scarcity created by ICANN's failure to act. It led to the whole idea that "there were no good domain names left". It also kickstarted many ccTLDs as alternatives to .COM in their local markets. Many of these new gTLDs were applied for by optimistic applicants in the hope that this would be the next big gold rush. Unfortunately, many of the people advising them were spoofers who were unaware of how the market, and the prospects for some of these new gTLDs, had changed once ICANN had killed large scale Domain Tasting. Rather than the hundreds of thousands of domain names that some of them had expected to be registered, some new gTLD operators found themselves struggling to break the 10K mark.

or market off an extension that is cheaper then buying the EMD in .com for their name, especially start-ups with little capital are using GTLDs to represent their business, and the future to which they behold, and when the success is granted, they should purchase the .com as it is the most recognizable extension in existence, and probably will continue to be in these growing times.
The .COM TLD is the main global TLD. However, it is under threat at country market level where it is losing ground to ccTLDs. This obsession with EMDs is very much a Domainer thing. While some brand owners will purchase EMDs, their main identity is tied up with their brand. They've spent millions of Dollars/Euro building it and marketing it. This is why brand owners tend to stick with the brands they have developed rather than purchasing EMDs. From an Intellectual Property point of view, a brand can be protected with trademarks and service marks. An EMD or keyword domain names, especially generic keyword or keywords EMDs, are far harder to protect.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Am I the only one who has no idea what this thread is about anymore?
Nope, but I think they are actually saying the same thing...shhhh don't tell them <this is awesome>

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back