Domain Empire

opinion Well, anonymize.com sucks.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
As many of you know, I recently purchased a few domain names from several registrars to compare. For the registrars that didn't offer free WHOIS protection, I used anonymize.com.

It's only 2 days later, and surprise! I've gotten 5 spam emails in my inbox with the typical stuff (improve your SEO! Let us re-do your website! Renew <domain> before it's too late (transfer scam)!)

I've verified each time that the email was forwarded from anonymize.com, and not any of the other registrars that I have WHOIS protection with. This is pretty disappointing, but I have to say: since it's free what did I expect.

For all of you who say "anonymize.com - it's free." Well, yes, it is, but I've already seen that it sucks.

This serves to caution anyone against using anonymize.com. It will hide your address, it will not stop spam!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Could it be that it happened in the transition between your registration and them accessing your details to place the privacy feature? I'm assuming there's a small window open.

If that wasnt the case then it appears that they would rather monetize thru selling your details than relying on adsense or other advertising revenues, and THAT defeats the purpose.

Now the million dollar question: If they're capable of offering a third party service of this magnitude than why not offer the service at a discounted price from the current privacy option sold thru most registrars? I'd imagine they'd have no shortage of buyers.

Thanks for posting.

•••
Could it be that it happened in the transition between your registration and them accessing your details to place the privacy feature? I'm assuming there's a small window open.

If that wasnt the case then it appears that they would rather monetize thru selling your details than relying on adsense or other advertising revenues, and THAT defeats the purpose.

Now the million dollar question: If they're capable of offering a third party service of this magnitude than why not offer the service at a discounted price from the current privacy option sold thru most registrars? I'd imagine they'd have no shortage of buyers.

Thanks for posting.

On the spam emails, in the "to" field, it says <my number>@anonymize.com, so I know it's definitely coming to the "protected" email and not my email directly (but it's forwarding to my email).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back