IT.COM

discuss We might be underestimating .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
XYZ seems to be having immense potential. Why do I say that? Coz I experienced it myself:

Over the past 1 hour, I have been trying to register 2-word meta .xyz names in response to the below thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/20-month-experimentation-i-do-what-you-tell.1261812/

I looked for NameBio sales and tried registering .XYZ for the same terms. While I could find 5+ .net and other extensions already available, finding an available .xyz has been impossible.

This is not the first instance. The way we are seeing sales in .xyz especially by DNGear, there definitely seems to be a lot more to XYZ than meets the eye.

nTLDstats shows that .xyz is the new TLD with a 15% market share, 100% above .online with 7.5%.
What's your thought on .xyz? Are you building your portfolio of .xyz as well?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can see others have a 15% stake in it. I don't have xyz but in this case the cheap entry point special worked and got the numbers. Either everyone was going to drop or start changing hands which it is and reflecting in top sales of December xyz. We being didn't buy them may have missed out on best of xyz but there had been other dollar domains that failed. This became strong we can still watch without buying. I would think a single generic net over a xyz would be of better value and really wouldn't care too much for 2 words unless mass search volume.

•••
You can see others have a 15% stake in it. I don't have xyz but in this case the cheap entry point special worked and got the numbers. Either everyone was going to drop or start changing hands which it is and reflecting in top sales of December xyz. We being didn't buy them may have missed out on best of xyz but there had been other dollar domains that failed. This became strong we can still watch without buying. I would think a single generic net over a xyz would be of better value and really wouldn't care too much for 2 words unless mass search volume.
Given the trend, I wouldn't be surprised if some good 2 word XYZ names would start selling in 2022.

•••
I’m building my bag on single word xyz domains in specific niches. I know I have a few diamond domains that have potential to break xyz sales records, but we’ll see…

•••
I feel dumb for sleeping on .xyz..

My only good one that is DNgear level is probably Terrains.xyz..

Got it for under $100 last week. Seller didn't understand the potential of the domain if not they won't have sold now..

I see a lot of use of terrain/terrains when discussing metaverse land + geospatial mapping which are cornerstone for the metaverse/digital twins/smart cities etc..

•••
I have a few xyz domains. Some of them are meta names and one 3L.

•••
I’m building my bag on single word xyz domains in specific niches. I know I have a few diamond domains that have potential to break xyz sales records, but we’ll see…
Great! I think XYZ is going to be on fire soon over the next 2-3 years. Of course, talking about the 1-word names here. Not sure about the 2-words though.

I feel dumb for sleeping on .xyz..

My only good one that is DNgear level is probably Terrains.xyz..

Got it for under $100 last week. Seller didn't understand the potential of the domain if not they won't have sold now..

I see a lot of use of terrain/terrains when discussing metaverse land + geospatial mapping which are cornerstone for the metaverse/digital twins/smart cities etc..
Well, all the best! I don't think it's the best, but you know your names better! Names like Bolt are next level.

I have a few xyz domains. Some of them are meta names and one 3L.
Well, price them handsomely and see what 2022 has for you.

•••
I wish I had kept some .xyz that I let drop in past or sold very low wholesale. I have about 55 .xyz currently, plan to grow it as I find opportunities. I mainly am concentrating on single word that I could see a business branding on, as opposed to category match.

I do have a few 2 word, but vast majority 1 word. I think there will be a few more 2-word sales, especially where 2 words are needed to express idea and overall name not too many characters.

I always keep a long wish list for all TLDs I am in. I was surprised when I went to register some that were available a few months ago that are almost all gone now.

DNGear success is truly inspiring.

It is encouraging to see so many sales get developed quickly. A few more big name adoptions will help propel more general use. The block.xyz rebrand, assuming they fight off the HR legal challenge, will get the extension seen by a lot of the general public. While abc.xyz has been used by Alphabet for many years, not that many access their investor relations site, even for the parent of Google.

Bob

PS This from 6 months ago looks at what type of .xyz sells at least up to that time.
https://www.namepros.com/blog/a-look-at-what-sells-in-xyz.1246484/

•••
Well, all the best! I don't think it's the best, but you know your names better! Names like Bolt are next level.

Thanks for the response. For sure Bolt is next level short domain & sold for high 5 figures, almost 6 figures. I'd say terrains.xyz could potentially sell for mid to high 5 figures based on analysing DNgear sales & if the .xyz extension takes off this year..

From what I notice, much of her recent sales are to blockchain, metaverse, IOT related companies that recently got funding & some of them don't seem to care about using plurals..

Terrain/terra is a very strong keyword across multiple future technology sectors.

@DNGear owns terrain.xyz & listed it for $39,888 at DAN. I believe even above $100k, it would sell to the right buyer. If she sells at that price it's a lowball, just like her metaverse.xyz sale at like $9888. I think the singular and plural are worth the same & terrains may even be better in certain instances when talking about the vastness of the metaverse terrain or multiple types of terrains.

Just like world & worlds. World describes a specific thing, while worlds defines a category of things. e.g Explore the open worlds of the metaverse at worlds.xyz. World.xyz would not be as suitable in this scenario. We could say the same about planet vs planets. e.g Explore the planet (limited) VS Explore the planets (unlimited).

Based on my research:

• Terrain is a hot keyword in IOT landscape architecture, especially relating to smart cities, transport etc.
  • 3D geospatial mapping technology is cornerstone for the metaverse, in terms of creating digital worlds/landscapes/terrains.
  • In gaming, open worlds are generally referred to as terrains. Terrain is a synonym of world especially when discussing the building & navigation aspect. Terrain & scenery are commonly used terms.
  • Companies like Amazon, Microsoft & IBM have invested heavily in 3D Mapping & GIS + offer many related services. Terrain is probably the most common words in GIS.
  • Land on planets tends to be called terrains. Even one of NASA's satellites is called terra.
  • Research LiDAR terrain mapping technology & the concept of "digital twins".

Check out (META) Facebook's new 5G WIFI/broadband product. Guess what it's called? TERRAgraph.com as in having to do with installing 5G towers across the earth's terrain.

Another big metaverse/gaming company using terrain within their products is Roblox. Paris Hilton recently launched a metaverse called Paris World on the Roblox platform. https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/Terrain

The person that sold this to me for like $60 last week definitely didn't do research on the keyword.

TLDR- Terrain is related to and a strong keyword in GIS, 3D Mapping, Metaverse, Gaming, IOT & all these technologies have just started their bull run.

Last edited:
•••
The higher the prices go for tld's the better it is for .com pricing. If someone contacts me to buy hello.com (just some example) and they offer me 2 million I can check if hello.tld sold for more and tell them that the tld sold for more.

I hope we see higher sales for everybody. Domains are still selling for very cheap.

•••
I remember having a debate a few years ago about .xyz and got totally slated by some big players because I said I thought they would have some good value in the future. I had hundreds of them but was told in no certain terms to drop them if I wanted to make money in this game. Since then, there have been some great .xyz sales..should I have kept them ? Who knows

•••
I remember having a debate a few years ago about .xyz and got totally slated by some big players because I said I thought they would have some good value in the future. I had hundreds of them but was told in no certain terms to drop them if I wanted to make money in this game. Since then, there have been some great .xyz sales..should I have kept them ? Who knows
Any examples of good ones you have?

•••
Why is the name bolt.xyz "next level"? Why is it better than, say, caps.xyz?

The first thing I think of with "bolt" is a retired sprinter, whereas (market) "caps" are all crypto bores drone on about.

So a rusty thing that closes a termite infested outhouse door sold for ~$80000.
And cool fashion accessories that keep your head warm in winter sold for ~$250.

XYZ is just a total lottery; completely unpredictable.

The XYZ Queen herself has probably 75% of the top dictionary words, many far better than bolt, 100% of the hype and promotion surrounding XYZ, and 19000 of her names have not sold, yet people seem to think all you need to do is buy an XYZ and wait for some idiot millionaire to roll up looking to waste money.

(Cue obligatory anon downvotes that happen in every XYZ thread to anyone who posts something that isn't hyping the cult.)

DNGear owns terrain.xyz & listed it for $39,888 at DAN. I believe even above $100k, it would sell to the right buyer. If she sells at that price it's a lowball

So buy it and make an easy $60k+ profit.

•••

The first thing I think of with "bolt" is a retired sprinter, whereas (market) "caps" are all crypto bores drone on about.

The XYZ Queen herself has probably 75% of the top dictionary words, many far better than bolt, 100% of the hype and promotion surrounding XYZ, and 19000 of her names have not sold, yet people seem to think all you need to do is buy an XYZ and wait for some idiot millionaire to roll up looking to waste money.

(Cue obligatory anon downvotes that happen in every XYZ thread to anyone who posts something that isn't hyping the cult.)

Lol I assure you bolt here is not referring to mechanical bolts used in construction but instead "lightning bolt". Bolt is short, refers to speed and explosive power, both in the lightning sense & after the sprinter who gets his nickname from the speed of lightning. A very good brandable word..

Caps is decent in the market cap sense & you never know maybe some idiot millionaire like you say would like it. Regarding me buying terrain.xyz and flipping for profit, why should I? Because I think it's worth a lot speculatively based on the data of recent sales & a good tech niche keyword doesn't mean it's sensible to risk buying it. Besides I only hand reg and spend max low 3 figs on aftermarket..

When you see DNgear sales of words you probably haven't heard of or thought would sell that much, do some research and you'll see that sometimes many companies already use that word. If they don't then it's usually a Greek or Latin word which is a trend a lot of American companies like..

According to domainers it has to be exact match .com or nothing. In that regard, apple should be using phone.com, Google should use search.com, Uber should use taxi.com. If people just study a bit about branding & why companies use certain names we wouldn't be having these discussions..

Dot com is more of a cult than xyz lol. Why else are .com maxis so angry that another extension is having big sales? Like because it's not a dot com they're so upset and hating for no reason. Since I'm not in a cult, I don't care I'll buy any extension with potential to make money. Besides it's my money so not sure why these .com preachers are so angry..

Anyone (who isn't in a domain extension cult) with a slight bit of wisdom after seeing DNgear sales and many big companies like twitter using spiral.xyz & block.xyz would buy some decent xyz and hope that it'll sell..

Matter of fact go on crypto twitter and see the rate of adoption of xyz. It's pretty much the default after .com even for two word domains & the xyz register is very active within the web3 space..

Is .xyz a lottery, perhaps it is but so is every other extension. Yeah .com has an advantage of being first but besides the popular one word domains, names, good tech keywords, brandables and geo keywords, majority of the rest are useless for reselling..

Dot com is king is a mantra that people from a certain generation keep forcing down our throats as gospel. Yeah congrats you bought blahblah.com for $10 when I was a baby pooping in my diapers, now it's worth hundred billion..

Doesn't make you special, you were just at the right place at the right time lol. The domain world is not the same. Everything evolves. It's just like those people that keep talking about the good old days and how real men wear suits, then hating on people that wear colourful jeans and have piercings and tattoos..

Majority of gen z don't care about .com. Only people that really care about if a website uses .com are old people that type with their index finger and are scared of the internet..

Last edited:
•••
Dot com is king is a mantra that people from a certain generation keep forcing down our throats as gospel. Yeah congrats you bought blahblah.com for $10 when I was a baby pooping in my diapers, now it's worth hundred billion..

Doesn't make you special, you were just at the right place at the right time lol. The domain world is not the same. Everything evolves. It's just like those people that keep talking about the good old days and how real men wear suits, then hating on people that wear colourful jeans and have piercings and tattoos..

Majority of gen z don't care about .com. Only people that really care about if a website uses .com are old people that type with their index finger and are scared of the internet..

Well said! Many (older) people here keep saying .com will be king forever. Like, no… Every civilization eventually falls. Will be no different with .com.

I’m personally starting a business and will be exclusively using .xyz no matter how big it gets.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but .com is synonymous with the boomer generation. Thinking that .com will be king forever is a conservative mindset.

Last edited:
•••
2 years ago I got downvotes whenever I post any good about .xyz lol, Domainking even block my Twitter because I said .xyz is the future and now domainking.xyz redirect to his home page.

•••
2 years ago I got downvotes whenever I post any good about .xyz lol, Domainking even block my Twitter because I said .xyz is the future and now domainking.xyz redirect to his home page.
Old school domainers stick to what works, sometimes (COM or nothing attitude). I like "XYZ", but I'd still be swaying with a "NET" or "ORG", as the replacement to a "COM". Regardless, if its a strong and suitable word in "XYZ", the way things are going, its a worthy hold. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Old school domainers stick to what works, sometimes (COM or nothing attitude). I like "XYZ", but I'd still be swaying with a "NET" or "ORG", as the replacement to a "COM". Regardless, if its a strong and suitable word in "XYZ", the way things are going, its a worthy hold. IMO

My opinion the .NET nowadays became the loser , No way to replace the COM by no means and its going for worst , I regret to have .NET in my portfolio .

Last edited:
•••

This is the truth indeed, that a good chunk of domainers go (and no matter what will go) ''com or nothing''. And I totally agree that xyz will not become a new com - there is no way some random MisissipiBoatTours.xyz will become more popular than the same name in com.

But I also look at this at a bit of a different angle. I do not think that xyz is rising in popularity with a ''goal'' of replacement com, but rather to complete it. Who is going to xyz? Crypto, NFT, Digital startups (Meta will join soon as the subject rises in popularity) - basically things that never existed yesterday. By choosing xyz many sayings - hey, the topics are new, and we need a new tld to define ourselves.

This is the main reason behind the the whole xyz popularity to me.

•••
WRT .COM... It stopped being merely a domain extension decades ago, and to most people basically is The Internet. A punctuation mark completing a domain name the way "dot" finishes a sentence, and a literal dictionary word (with 200+ registrations under other extensions).

Give people a website without an extension and we all know what most of them will try first.

There are about 155 million (that's 155,000,000) more .COMs registered than .XYZs; more .COMs registered than every other extension put together in fact. There is simply no contest.

TLD.png

.COM isn't used by "old people" (a particularly idiotic line of argument), it's used by almost everybody, unless they can't get the name they want.

People might register a ccTLD even if the .COM is available if their site/business is region specific, or a .ORG if the .COM is available but a commercial TLD is inappropriate for their project.

Every other extension, including XYZ, is only ever registered because the .COM is not available.

Google would simply not be using .XYZ if the .COMs they wanted had been available and nobody would register 20,000 XYZs if the same words were available for < $10 under .COM.

This is not about being a .COM "maxi" or being "old" or any other nonsense arguments, it's just stating facts.

•••
This is the truth indeed, that a good chunk of domainers go (and no matter what will go) ''com or nothing''. And I totally agree that xyz will not become a new com - there is no way some random MisissipiBoatTours.xyz will become more popular than the same name in com.

But I also look at this at a bit of a different angle. I do not think that xyz is rising in popularity with a ''goal'' of replacement com, but rather to complete it. Who is going to xyz? Crypto, NFT, Digital startups (Meta will join soon as the subject rises in popularity) - basically things that never existed yesterday. By choosing xyz many sayings - hey, the topics are new, and we need a new tld to define ourselves.

This is the main reason behind the the whole xyz popularity to me.
If the next train for .xyz is vr &metaverse, .com might be upended by gen z’s thoughts that using .xyz is most suitable extension for that. (Because the metaverse will be bonded with crypto & NFTs)

Attachments

• 6576970E-E237-4D59-879C-4B1D3CE774DC.jpeg
    6576970E-E237-4D59-879C-4B1D3CE774DC.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the response. For sure Bolt is next level short domain & sold for high 5 figures, almost 6 figures. I'd say terrains.xyz could potentially sell for mid to high 5 figures based on analysing DNgear sales & if the .xyz extension takes off this year..

From what I notice, much of her recent sales are to blockchain, metaverse, IOT related companies that recently got funding & some of them don't seem to care about using plurals..

Terrain/terra is a very strong keyword across multiple future technology sectors.

@DNGear owns terrain.xyz & listed it for $39,888 at DAN. I believe even above $100k, it would sell to the right buyer. If she sells at that price it's a lowball, just like her metaverse.xyz sale at like $9888. I think the singular and plural are worth the same & terrains may even be better in certain instances when talking about the vastness of the metaverse terrain or multiple types of terrains.

Just like world & worlds. World describes a specific thing, while worlds defines a category of things. e.g Explore the open worlds of the metaverse at worlds.xyz. World.xyz would not be as suitable in this scenario. We could say the same about planet vs planets. e.g Explore the planet (limited) VS Explore the planets (unlimited).

Based on my research:

• Terrain is a hot keyword in IOT landscape architecture, especially relating to smart cities, transport etc.
  • 3D geospatial mapping technology is cornerstone for the metaverse, in terms of creating digital worlds/landscapes/terrains.
  • In gaming, open worlds are generally referred to as terrains. Terrain is a synonym of world especially when discussing the building & navigation aspect. Terrain & scenery are commonly used terms.
  • Companies like Amazon, Microsoft & IBM have invested heavily in 3D Mapping & GIS + offer many related services. Terrain is probably the most common words in GIS.
  • Land on planets tends to be called terrains. Even one of NASA's satellites is called terra.
  • Research LiDAR terrain mapping technology & the concept of "digital twins".

Check out (META) Facebook's new 5G WIFI/broadband product. Guess what it's called? TERRAgraph.com as in having to do with installing 5G towers across the earth's terrain.

Another big metaverse/gaming company using terrain within their products is Roblox. Paris Hilton recently launched a metaverse called Paris World on the Roblox platform. https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/Terrain

The person that sold this to me for like $60 last week definitely didn't do research on the keyword.

TLDR- Terrain is related to and a strong keyword in GIS, 3D Mapping, Metaverse, Gaming, IOT & all these technologies have just started their bull run.
Terrain.xyz now priced at

$69,888​

•••

Theres a lot of salt in this comment. I'll leave it at that.

•••
Ya, that's the downside of opinions. People have different opinions and that is alright.

•••
I've recently sold a .xyz for low $xx,xxx so the potential is definitely there. I will post the sale on Twitter once I get the .eth equivalent of the name.

•••
Back