IT.COM

status-resolved Warning

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Eric Lyon
It appears to be nearly the identical reason as Internet.Domains: other members reported one of his posts, a mod moved that post to the advertising section, and in disagreement of that mod action, they request to have their account closed.

While I can see that the post was most likely not him trying to advertise, we still have to treat every post that comes across as promotional as if it is promotional. There's no way we can know for sure who is being paid to post things or affiliated with the things they promote (I use the word promote loosely), so we have to treat everything the same: if it feels promotional or asks members to do something that is promotional in nature, then we move it to the advertising board.

If something this small causes them to want to close their account, then it's probably time they take a break. We respect their requests.

Account closed.
I would suggest that mod actions "based on reporting from other members" be either based on a multi mod consensus or the original op "as a valued member" should be given an opportunity to edit.

Also, a mod can edit rather than move. Particularly when even mods make mistakes. When you don't know the motivation of the reporting member, and "can see that the post was most likely not him trying to advertise" there must be a more amicable solution.

Members like Grilled invest real time and heart into contributing and helping. I could see if this was all automated, but it's not.

Hopefully no one is looking for special treatment, but newer members respect older members for good reason. Maybe this policy needs another look.

One last thought. When mod discretion results in rule abiding, long term contributors leaving dissatisfied, there is still work to do.

Last edited:
•••
I hope @Grilled returns. Sometimes we can get so caught up in playing by the rules or getting puffed up on making a point that we overlook other resolutions and make rash decisions.
I believe there is another side to this too. @Grilled mentioned in the chat not too long ago that joining the domain industry was, for a number of reasons, the "worst decision" of his life, and that he deeply regretted joining the industry in the first place. Him "suddenly" leaving now likely had more to do with his deep seated negative feelings about the domain industry (and a wish to move on to something better), and less about a little skirmish with the moderators (he's had so many of those over the years that I find it hard to believe he would leave over such a thing).

•••
I also hope in the future the admins might consider trying a bit harder to keep an asset, rather than writing them off so quickly to what could be a blip or misunderstanding.
It's a double-edged sword. We've had members get really upset with us when we try to talk it out with them or assist them with understanding what happened. Sometimes, they get upset with us when we simply try to confirm that they understand what closing their account will and will not do (They just want us to close their account and don't want to have to ask twice). We've found that it's best to do what they request and hope they come back after they've had some time to cool down and had a break.

It's not easy to know when to push and when to do what they've asked, but we're here to assist, and if they ask to have their account closed, then it's our duty to do that.

Hope you understand,

•••
I have ended posting in doman discussions, and instead the break room as thats where they all are immediately put anyway. I understand these frustrations others have, but I am a guest here and its not my forum, lo que sea.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...between-a-domain-blogger-and-a-troll.1049964/
Like this one. Namepros is talked about on his blog, and I post it much to his chagrin and perhaps a moderator disagreeing, then its buried in the break room closet. Lol. Whatever.

But funny thing was at least it sparked immediate reaction. Then “miraculously” the OP suddenly appears here immediately to do PR damage control the following day in his AMA. No mention of my post hidden in the breakroom, of course.

Few knows thats the real story behind why the AMA came about. That AMA It was reactionary, not proactive. Glad he did, you people interested in him got to talk with him, it worked out even though. He admitted getting a refund for his weed(.)cc domain, he didnt need to answer that, but did openingly and cordially.

I’ve made many waves that certain people may not like, but the truth of the name touting, the wholesale market b.s., the admission of partnering, the shills, its all questionable ethics in my auction book. I see little value in wholesaling as a business model, its simply the way certain people dump their names onto newbies instead of letting them expire.

Btw, grill and I were called a “crybaby” from OP in the AMA, I just now went to find it, to support the above and another “miracle” his derogatory childish comments were removed. Lol. I think those comments should not have been censored, but again I am not a mod here. I went to look for all those numerous negative comments made towards myself and Grilled and my mention of the “partnering” issue too he admitted to doing is left undocumented. Interesting.

Keep up the good work here, I like the forum and its run well

@Grilled will be missed. I hope he comes back.

•••
Please understand that the member who reports a rule violation does not have any influence on how it is handled. The reports are handled by the mod the same way as they would be handled if the mod came across those posts without a report. I only mention that they're reported by other members to emphasize that those members agree with the rule because they wouldn't report it otherwise.

We rarely edit posts to comply with the rules because editing a post can change the context of what's said and that has caused tension among members in the past. Moving or deleting and letting the user post again without the rule violation is the standard practice so that members don't get upset with their posts being modified.

If you ever have questions about why something was moved/deleted/anything, then you're more than welcome to contact our customer support team for more information. Mods are humans too and they make mistakes. You can discuss your opinion on the matter and then the mod may change their mind or explain to you a perspective that you hadn't considered before. However, if you're not interesting in having a professional conversation about it and want to close your account in disagreement, then there's not much we can do to help or improve.

Members who request to have their account closed can request to have it opened again at anytime.

Hope that helps,

•••
•••
ff.png

Resurrected on Easter!!!!

•••
You know Jesus was resurrected right? :xf.wink:

•••
My favorite is "Your post was deleted. Reason: Use the Like button. Thanks for understanding." :)
Could certainly use that in the reported sales thread

•••
You guys have a funny way of treating people who come on here and discuss domains and contribute to the forum

I get this 100%.

But it is not the full story.

You have to think of things from their perspective. The rule is in place for a reason. And sometimes the rule needs to exercise some gray area, but with this, I can't fully say I disagree with mods decision to move the thread. The original thread you had written is still in prime time placement, news.

Depending on the thread category, some categories are eligible to trend. Some aren't.

In hindsight, if you wanted a poll, you should have created it first. No offense. Also, the poll is incorrect, given the start price for the sale is 2 mil.

I get a violation for advertising an auction related to the Russian scandal? Really?

Can you see your violation? Can others? What lasting effect will this violation have? I get it, nobody likes to receive a violation, especially when they feel they have done nothing wrong. But really, individual violations don't mean jack. I don't think there is one long time NPer who has never received a violation. It's just the way the eco system works, and it will not effect your account, unless it happens in scale. I think of violations a little like a nudge into the right direction... Though the nudge sometimes feels like a poke, and I don't like people poking me... But really, I dont think you were poked with this violation, more of a nudge, because your main post, advertising the russian scandal, is still live in news section.

I got a warning for my Huh? post that was moved to this thread. Do I agree with the warning? Mehhh. But did I violate a NP rule? Yes.

If you violate enough rules, NP will gift the account closure. You will be set free. But is the grass really greener on the other side?

I have asked you to close my account. Please honor that request.

You will be missed if they do. [reason for disliking your above post]

Last edited:
•••
I hope @Grilled returns. Sometimes we can get so caught up in playing by the rules or getting puffed up on making a point that we overlook other resolutions and make rash decisions.

Grilled, your character and style are unique, not to mention your passion for sleuthing and getting to the bottom of things. You've helped and contributed to many people and threads here. I believe you are an asset to the NP community. I hope you reconsider your decision, I also hope in the future the admins might consider trying a bit harder to keep an asset, rather than writing them off so quickly to what could be a blip or misunderstanding.

If I was an employer, and Grilled was one of my employees, he would be "one of the good ones".

•••
It seems to be nearly the identical reason as Internet.Domains: other members reported one of his posts, a mod moved that post to the advertising section, and in disagreement of that mod action, they request to have their account closed.

While I can see that the post was most likely not him trying to advertise, we still have to treat every post that comes across as promotional as if it is promotional. There's no way we can know for sure who is being paid to post things or affiliated with the things they promote (I use the word promote loosely), so we have to treat everything the same: if it feels promotional or asks members to do something that is promotional in nature, then we move it to the advertising board.

If something this small causes them to want to close their account, then it's probably time they take a break. We respect their requests.

Account closed.
I believe there is another side to this too. @Grilled mentioned in the chat not too long ago that joining the domain industry was, for a number of reasons, the "worst decision" of his life, and that he deeply regretted joining the industry in the first place. Him "suddenly" leaving now likely had more to do with his deep seated negative feelings about the domain industry (and a wish to move on to something better), and less about a little skirmish with the moderators (he's had so many of those over the years that I find it hard to believe he would leave over such a thing).

I never read that in chat, thanks for posting, there are some that are here and not saying Grilled is one of them, but there are some who actually don't like the industry, they are hear to spread their version of the truth and have never had any success in domaining.

I would be curious why Grilled thought it was the worst decision of his life, I have always thought he was a good guy. But I can say he is not alone in that sentiment, I have had people who I know have made 6 figures plus who have expressed to me they wish they never got involved or at least never joined a forum or commented on a blog. This is a wacky business.

•••
Not sure if you can reconsider a decision like that
When an account is closed by request, the requester can contact customer support at anytime to have it reopened. :)

•••
Can you clarify what the op mean't by point deduction?
Every warning has a point value attached to it (Which can be changed to 0 points by issuing moderator). When an account reaches 25 points, it is automatically closed. Most points expire after a period of time.

Hope that helps,

•••
Every warning has a point value attached to it (Can also be changed to 0 points by issuing moderator). When an account reaches 25 points, it is automatically closed. Most points expire after a period of time.

Hope that helps,
Thanks Eric. I'm probably at 24.9999 points. :)

•••
Why are you leaving?
It appears to be nearly the identical reason as Internet.Domains: other members reported one of his posts, a mod moved that post to the advertising section, and in disagreement of that mod action, they request to have their account closed.

Account closed.

•••
@Eric Lyon Any chance the user dashboard could be enhanced to include infractions, warnings and support link, etc. to request assistance? :)
That'd have to be built into the core of our forum software. You can suggest it to them on XenForo.com

•••
I always wondered why that doesn't seem to apply to that thread.
Report the post and find out. ;) Either it'll be deleted or you'll receive an explanation as to why it wasn't.

Hope that helps,

•••
Managing a forum is like running over hot coals and keeping a smiley face too. It used to be good when I ran an anime forum in 2008. God, I miss those days :whistle:

•••
Thanks Eric. I'm probably at 24.9999 points. :)

Nope, I think a king that likes tops probably scores closest to that. (if you know what I mean)

•••
Please understand that the member who reports a rule violation does not have any influence on how it is handled. The reports are handled by the mod the same way as they would be handled if the mod came across those posts without a report. I only mention that they're reported by other members to emphasize that those members agree with the rule because they wouldn't report it otherwise.

We rarely edit posts to comply with the rules because editing a post can change the context of what's said and that has caused tension among members in the past. Moving or deleting and letting the user post again without the rule violation is the standard practice so that members don't get upset with their posts being modified.

If you ever have questions about why something was moved/deleted/anything, then you're more than welcome to contact our customer support team for more information. Mods are humans too and they make mistakes. You can discuss your opinion on the matter and then the mod may change their mind or explain to you a perspective that you hadn't considered before. However, if you're not interesting in having a professional conversation about it and want to close your account in disagreement, then there's not much we can do to help or improve.

Members who request to have their account closed can request to have it opened again at anytime.

Hope that helps,
Thanks @Eric Lyon . It's good to know that there is a channel to discuss it and find out more.

And don't get me wrong, as I have said before, the MGMT here does a great job...truly.

Thanks again

•••
That'd have to be built into the core of our forum software. You can suggest it to them on XenForo.com
My favorite is "Your post was deleted. Reason: Use the Like button. Thanks for understanding." :)

•••
•••
Watch that IP address, or new user name coming up later when the the nose realizes it was cut off to spite the face.
Only decent place left on the net to discuss/etc, domain names.
Just my two pennies worth.
Spotted in the wild: domainer requesting NP account closure:

images

Ok I am kidding (maybe).

•••
I leave that stuff to the ops unless a post is obvious spam. Just feels like reasons for reporting a post could be so subjective. Maybe I should read more about acceptable reasons to report a post.

I'm gonna report that :lock:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back