NameSilo

Verisign sues ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"its jurisdiction to become a de facto regulator of the Internet,"

Thats funny I always thought of Verisign in this way.

•••
a much better article on the matter from CNET
Note that Verisign could also use this to manipulate WLS to be given over to them.
The lawsuit asks the court to bar ICANN from doing anything to "interfere with" the reinstatement of Site Finder. VeriSign, based in Mountain View, Calif., has sparred with ICANN over a number of issues besides Site Finder. Details surrounding a "Wait-Listing Service," which establishes VeriSign as a central place to buy all expiring .com and .net domains, have also been a sore point.

•••
Originally posted by JoltHost
"its jurisdiction to become a de facto regulator of the Internet,"

Thats funny I always thought of Verisign in this way.

Right, that's what everyone thinks they are supposed to do. The fact that Verisign now admits that they don't recognize this authority could be their own undoing.

•••
Anyone else find irony in Verisign filing an antitrust lawsuit?

Thanks for the news update Donny.

•••
Yeah this news is quite spread now across the internet, quite odd that Verisign would actually do something like that. Thanks for the info Donny. :tu:

•••
Here's the lawsuit. if anybody is interested.

Part 1 and Part 2.

It's a pretty funny read. The best part is if Verisign wins, guess who will pay them? Not me as a domain registrar, I'll just pass the buck down the line. So let's hope ICANN wins and Verisign loses the .com and .net registries.

Donny

•••
Thanks again for info Donny, be sure to keep us posted if you get anymore news. :)

•••
Verisigns just have the nerve, yucks.

•••
Thanks, Donny.

I especially enjoyed the irony in this statement fromt he first article:

[Verisign] will allege that Icann has overstepped its authority as a technical-coordination group and stifled VeriSign's attempts to introduce new services it says would benefit Internet users.

How's that for backwards?

•••
Yeah, you could swap plaintiff and dependent and it would work either way.

Okay, let's say VS wins and a court determines ICANN has no authority to make decisions regarding the control of domain names. Then what happens...The US Congress takes back over? Does the VS monopoly really think they will be given a free reign over the com/net package with no oversight?

What kind of drugs were they taking when they wrote this:
"Site Finder, Consolidate, WLS, and IDN are not Registry services, and therefore are not subject to the terms or restrictions of the 2001 .com registry agreement."

In the very next paragraph, they say:
"...Site Finder, Consolidate, WLS, and IDN, or to impose conditions under which it may offer such services..."

VS is a registry. If they are not registry services, then what business do they have implementing them? I guess what they are trying to say is they are really registry Disservices?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
•••
Verisign just needs to comply and quit crying about things. they never asked me, one of their millions of customers, if i thought sitefinder would help in ANY way. They're not even acting within the spirit of the policies that they themselves helped develop. They're a bunch of grab-asses! I hope ICANN stomps them flat in court.

•••
Originally posted by dnslife
They're a bunch of grab-asses! I hope ICANN stomps them flat in court.

I hope this is the typical court battle that takes three years to come to a resolution.

Seems to me VS has shot itself in the foot in trying to get a quick decision. Before the suit, I thought ICANN would cave in. Now I think they have an excuse to hold the status-quo.

•••
Hmmmm....for once, it seems a lot of people are actually supporting ICANN on this score. :p

Nothing surprises me anymore. :bah:

•••
Trust me, you don't want Verisign to win this one or launch WLS. No matter how much people are paying for domains at pool.com. I know, I've talked to Verisign and I know their plans for version #2 of WLS. You think WLS will kill backordering, just wait until the launch version #2.

Imagine pool.com or even afternic with all expired domains that didn't get registered by the WLS system just sitting there for a week. Call it an open auction for 1 week for all deleted domains.

Not going to be pretty.

Donny

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back