IT.COM

Value: should names orginal written with hypens also have them in domainnames?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
See a lot people dislike hypens, but what is worth more as the word is orginal written with a hypen, written the orginal way or still without the hypen. Example: today we saw ngage.us but the original spelling is n-gage.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nobody uses the word hyphen when they talk, that is why nobody likes them and they have little or no value most of the time. is you would say n hyphen guage dot us, most people would say huh? as compared to if you would say nguage dot us

•••
So the answer is don't use hypens.

thanks .edu

•••
Originally posted by modman
So the answer is don't use hypens.

thanks .edu

Hah..........
don't believe the hyphen hype!

the example you gave is the perfect reason to regg a name with hyphens.

I would rather have n-gauge, than ngauge.

I have sold quite a few hyphenated domains, and they were .orgs!

not to say that i would go out of my way to get a hyphenated name, but if a good one is available, it's mine! :)

•••
For the most part, hyphens devalue the name. There are a few exceptions but even than it's usually a coin flip or a matter of personal taste. ie an argument could be made for both sides w/ above example. Tweaking the casing used in displaying the name can help seperate out troublesome connections similar to what hyphen achieves in above example. Ngage or n-gage?

IMO, hyphen improves 24-7: 24-7info or 247info, but it's still a coin flip. Wi-fi is almost always w/ hyphen in print, but wifi would be the preferred choice for a domain name.

Much of this issue revolves around the particular categories of terms that either don't read well, don't sound right, or don't "describe" well. Getting 2 out of 3 right, (given all other factors ie word quality are there), will usually mean an averege name w/ a shot at being good, but not VG or great.:gl:

Last edited:
•••
Yea I think you should not listen to me on this one. I don't want to mislead anybody in anyway as I am not a professional. Listen to biggie and go for the hyphens. Please disregard everything I said.

Crissy

•••
Get both in this case and use the one consistent with history.

Use the hyphendated version for print media so it's consistent with regular logos. Use the hypenated version for real web content and search engines. Have the non-hyphenated version for verbal communcation so you dont' have to say "dash" or "hyphen" when saying the domain name. Park the non-hyphen version or better yet, use a "301 redirect" to the real site, so that no matter what domain is entered, the hyphen version shows in the browser window.

•••
Most domains are valued higher without a highphen, I don't like to register domains with them. Hope it helps. :D

•••
Professional? Avid enthusiast? Newbie? We are all speaking from our experience here. I've seen 10-15 year veterans of the DN wars in opposition over questions like this. Sometimes they are both right, depending upon the way the dice roll in cyberspace. If it sells, if it doesn't sell, if it's trying to sell, if you are making money or not, the POV's/ experiences are going to be helpful for someone as well as stimulate thoight whether agreeing or disagreeing.

In above example, If Ngage sold, non hyphen was the way to go and vice versa. This type of issue is not clearcut and there is room for varying interpretation.

Addition->
That being said, I just read Adoptables post , and I'll go w/ that .:lol:

Last edited:
•••
Real world example:

U-Haul has spelled their company name with a hyphen before the internet domain name was invented.

Either of these reach their site:
u-haul.com
uhaul.com

They are both parked on the same site, so whichever you enter is shown in the browser address bar. I have never heard "find us online at "U dash Haul dot com", since they have covered the bases by registering both versions.

For speculation purposes, I'd never register the hyphen version without the non-hyphen version as well unless it really has some traffic potential and is generic and normally considered to have the hyphen in common use.

One more reason to have the dash is where it is needed to separate words for readability. For example wash-it.com or Beetles-hits.com without the dash could be misinterpretted by search engines as containing a profane word and be filtered or penalized.

Last edited:
•••
If the original product has a hyphen it in, it is critical to get both the hyphenated and non-hyphenated versions.

A major issue is public perception of domain names. Hyphens are not common in popular domain names and people are not accustomed to using them when typing in addresses.

U-Haul as mentioned above is a great example. Wal-Mart is another (main domain walmart.com, wal-mart.com redirecting to it)

•••
Domains with - are liked by search engines and not by people. We can use these domains to somewhat boost our SE rankings. But it is not wise to develop it as a main site.

•••
Thank you all. The thing this discussion made clear to me is, although I should prefer domains without hypens it is not totally a must. So if there's a good one free with a hypen I just will go for it. :)

•••
In your case, I would go with the hyphen domain as well.
If the domain seems good even with the hyphen, then register it to prevent regretting not spending $8 for it!

•••
sold a domain recently with 2 hyphens in it!

The "key-words"........is the keyword!

•••
Get the hyphen if you like, but make sure you get the non-hyphen version as well. You can't cause it is taken? Point made :)

•••
Hyphens are bad.

If the original name or product has one, then register both variations.

Otherwise, never register hyphens.

That is all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back