IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I found an example of a company which actually forwards the dot com to its hack!
webmoney.com

•••
•••
•••
skybridge

Avoid names which are heavily trademarked! Especially when it is not a one-word name or commonly used keyword. While SkyBridge may appear to be a cool name, it will be hard to sell. You cannot attempt to sell it directly to people already using that name and who own the trademark. And another individual would also be wary of purchasing for the same reasons.

•••
First of all, skybridge is just a word. It's not a "special" company name or even some company(brand) model.
It's not like Mcdonalds, Coca cola, Ford or etc.
There are some domain hacks that are used aggressively (active) and 10x more trademarks than this but nothing...
I will not write down examples...
Website is not running now and I don't have any similar company specific info, similar logo or etc.
It's not misleading for anyone. So, skybridge.net, skybridge.org, skybridge.co, and etc. So, Do you think these domains are misleading for any reason?
Skybridge is a word that we use everyday and yeah there are a lot of companies in this world that use these words for their name.
Yeah, I know Domain brokers...
If you need something, DM me.

•••
Yes, you're right, skybridge is a word. Just for some reason, Merriam Webster and Oxford learner's dictionaries do not include it and I assumed it is not exactly a word but two separate words. Being a word makes it better. Anyhow, that aside, you don't have to take my advice! :xf.smile:

I just said that a number of trademarks do exist for this name and so it is harder to market such a name. I never said you cannot have the name, you can even get 'apple' and use it for another purpose. And yes a lot of trademarked names exist and not everyone has the time or interest to litigate. Furthermore, such litigation does not work until either the owner shows ads which might lead to an indirect intention to monetize from the trademarked name or, worse, directly tries to sell them the name. I did make that second bit very clear in my last message. And again that is my suggestion, you're free to sell it as you please. This is not a thread to buy or sell, but a place to discuss domain hacks and related stuff.

All the best for your names.

Last edited:
•••
You are arguing about this word. Enough said.
Thank you for your suggestions, GL with your domains.

•••
Here's one that I came across years ago and I bet it has a lot of value to the site it is re-directing to. Then again maybe not that much. Maybe it would be worth more to an end buyer! Try it! news.com

•••
We've decided to present an active website with a domain hack every Friday.

Starting with.... Ferr.et the ferret social network!

Get your personal ferr.et URL free!

•••
Brandnam.es

Domain hack for brandnames which is a single dictionary word, a product for branding and marketing sector (selling brandnames), and perhaps the most important asset of any business

Last edited:
•••
upload_2021-8-22_13-29-45.jpeg

•••
Brandnam.es

Domain hack for brandnames which is a single dictionary word, a product for branding and marketing sector (selling brandnames), and perhaps the most important asset of any business

I quite like it, Hassan. Very often, a two word (or hyphenated) domain hack has saleability issues, but I think this domain is pretty decent and could be turned in to a marketplace for selling domain hacks.

Cheers,

•••
Not sure how to confirm if they actually own it or if it's just a clever redirect, but I found this in the wild;

introvert.party

•••
Not sure how to confirm if they actually own it or if it's just a clever redirect, but I found this in the wild;

introvert.party

I'm not at all sure what this has to do with domain hacks, and the "clever" aspect to it is completely lost on me; i've no idea what it means.

•••
I'm not at all sure what this has to do with domain hacks, and the "clever" aspect to it is completely lost on me; i've no idea what it means.

It's a 2 word hack for 'Introvert Party', and it's clever because introverts don't like to go to parties; their idea of a good time is generally just staying home and reading books or watching movies. Hence, forwarding Introvert.Party to Netflix.com is a clever little marketing tactic.

•••
It's a 2 word hack for 'Introvert Party', and it's clever because introverts don't like to go to parties; their idea of a good time is generally just staying home and reading books or watching movies. Hence, forwarding Introvert.Party to Netflix.com is a clever little marketing tactic.

Hmm, ok. Well, perhaps someone will want to buy it from you then, if indeed it belongs to you...

•••
Hmm, ok. Well, perhaps someone will want to buy it from you then, if indeed it belongs to you...

???

I fully said:

I don't own it, I'm just sharing it here because I thought it was a neat use of the domain.

•••
We've decided to present an active website with a domain hack every Friday.

Starting with.... Ferr.et the ferret social network!

Get your personal ferr.et URL free!

Missed last Friday's domain hack?
http://s.io
S.io the 1-letter domain hack redirects to Sio.com a software company based in Frankfurt.

In other domain hack news:

hu.ma.ne raised $100 million for their next generation gadgets

DomainHacks.com is teaming up with top brokers QEIP.com

z.org (zorg?) was sold for $257,000

Last edited:
•••
I must admit, I do like how ccTLD's can sometimes add another layer of credible branding to domain hacks...

e.g. the domain, wat.ch, incorporates the Swiss TLD (.ch), and Swiss Watches are famous throughout the world.. I am sure there are some other great examples out there!

•••
•••
This friday's domain hack is... Manua.ls multi-language manuals. Speaks for itself.

•••
Lately, I've been finding so many sites which use hacks as either primary addresses or like little triggers hidden away in the namespace that forward you to their main sites. It is hard to keep track, but some really unexpected ones show up from time to time.

•••
Who uses domain hacks? (A mini-series)
Professors:
Sebastian Thrun Adjunct Professor — Stanford University
An entrepreneur, educator, and computer scientist from Germany!
Domain: Th.run
Now, this one was a complete surprise! Stay tuned for more.
quote-the-inventor-of-google-glass-says-it-could-outsource-our-brains-sebastian-thrun-106-93-52.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Carbon Capture (dot) Technology

•••
Domain hacks don't need a crappy and ridiculous reference (.com*) appended to the end of their domains. Don't ever forget that.

*Apparently, .com is an abbreviation for the word "commercial". Go figure....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back