IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Just wanted to let you guys know you can now search domain hacks on NameBio. Just select Other as the category and then Domain Hacks as the subcategory. You can combine it with other fields, for example the extension filter to just find hacks in a particular TLD.

More info here, along with some data on the most popular TLDs for domain hacks, average prices, etc:
https://namebio.com/blog/new-feature-search-domain-hacks/

Happy hacking :)

•••
•••
What do you think of these...

Techy . ninja
Trained by . guru
The Cosmopolitan . club
Living Pla . net
Sugar Free Food . club
Number One . agency

Feel free to send your offers..
Thanks.
LivingPlan(.)net is the only hack in the list.

•••
•••
•••
DOMA.IN is another good one.

•••
•••
I think some really great domain hacks have obvious value. Things like wi.fi that sold this year for $22k at Sedo. There clearly are not a lot of those around to be picked up though!

I personally don't see a much value in a generic term that is made up with a domain hack. I think the general public is not knowledgeable enough with the new gTLDs and general use cc TLDs that (as others have said) they will not remember it right, and it seems to me that the hack does not work at all for SEO. As with most rules, there are exceptions to this though, and occasionally a hack that creates a highly sought after word would be worthwhile.

Still there have been some decent sales. For example mur.al at $10k in 2012 or loc.al at 6k this year.

I do see a role for hacks in startups, where essentially a brandable name is made through a hack. Some of the cc extensions work well with this, and things like .io, .co, .ly, .ai, al work well for some words.

One example I encountered through support for a math app (Math Studio) that I own is their website is mathstud.io. This is pretty clever to me, as it exactly spells their product name, and the domain part MathStud also has a meaning that is congruent with their product).

Another example I like a lot is aud.io that sold for 6.8k back in 2011.

I guess what I am saying is that to me yes some domain hacks are very valuable, but many domain hacks to me have little or no value.

I'd write more but I am trying to find some domain name hacks on Cyber Monday sales - haha :xf.wink:

•••
Sold ed.gy for €2,000 ($2,305) via Undeveloped.com.

•••
I was following this sale closely in the final hours (no, not bidding haha) and it was fun to watch!

First of all, a big hello to everybody! I've been hunting for a place to discuss domain hacks and landed on these hallowed grounds. I happen to be very late to the domain-hack scene, but I love them.
I knew about domain hacks, but never really looked into them before. However, in December 2020, while looking for a regular domain, I found one hack as a suggested option and it somehow got me hooked. So hooked that I sat down and hunted through all kinds of TLDs, manually, until I ran out of ideas and had to stop because of time constraints and general sensibility.

It was a fun journey and I thought about what to do with my names, so I put up a small website and posted my names there. And I listed my domains on Dan.com. A lot of them aren't great, but a bunch of those are good by beginner standards! :xf.smile: It was more like a game for me where, after looking at tonnes and tonnes, I'd be happy to find some available ones and just grab them -- which explains the bad ones! :xf.grin:

I must say that while looking at certain domain hacks, I landed on the Dan.com page for Plan.et (domainhacks.com) and it was a sight to behold. I was like a newbie looking at a pro gamer and thinking "that's impossible"! I know I sound like a fan and I certainly am. I thought they were all owned by an individual, but later, I guess I figured maybe it is a collection of domains owned by several folks. I ended up on this page searching for Max DomainHacks.com after looking at the listings on Flippa.

Here are the hacks I've gotten so far! There are a few more domains on my Dan.com profile page.

DomainGaze.com / MadH.ax

Welcome to the inter.we.bs! Very happy to read your story.

Domain hacks are collectibles (creativity + scarcity + demand) that have been adopted by many big names in the (tech) industry.

Matt Mullenweg of Wordpress/Automattic called his Ma.tt hack a life change back in 2008. Thirteen years have passed, a fortune of half a billion $ and it's still his domain of choice.

Musical.ly was acquired for $1 billion by chinese giant TikTok (before Instagr.am was acquired for the same amount by Facebook).

Two ex-Apple stars have so far raised $30 million on a new revolutionary platform called hu.ma.ne (trademarked).

Ca.sh was reported sold for over $200,000 which is more than what cash.us ($20,100) cash.org ($15,099) and cash.tv ($18,263) have sold for altogether.

ETC. ETC.

And yet I still find myself in 2021 arguing with domain investors about whether they have any value. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've made over $100K/year on domain hacks alone since 2009 and I was an early adopter/investor in .me .co and .io.

I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world (except Bitcoin).

Last edited:
•••
•••
A lot of single-letter .ac english and non-english domain hacks have been sold in the past weeks via Divido.org:

b.ac
c.ac
d.ac
f.ac
g.ac
l.ac
m.ac for $21,000 (acquired by xTom.com)
p.ac
t.ac
etc.

•••
Yes please explain. I'm sure we're all curious how this was possible.

I won't try to answer on behalf of Kevin, but if you're looking to reg an .et domain you need to do two things:

1. Get your brain checked

2. Go to ethiotelecom.et, and navigate their site from there.

There is a 'hidden' page on the site, which is located here:
http://www.ethiotelecom.et/downloads/domainnameregistration-form.pdf

I guess if you managed to find an email address for them (good luck with that!) then emailing that completed form back to them will be your best, 'unofficial', way of trying to snag an .et name.

As Kevin has, rightly, said... .et names are not now publicly registrable, but why on earth would you want one anyway?!

Ethiopia is a severely poverty stricken African country, and they don't have laws relating to much, let alone IP! Your .et name then, can, and probably will, be snatched from you at any given time and no explanation will be given and you will not be compensated.

Case in point, the domain ri.ng was stolen from me by the Nigerian domain authorities back in April. They said I could keep the domain if I paid them around a hundred times what I had already paid (reg fee).

This worked out at around US$9000 for the name, and I believe you will find that many countries in Africa have 'retroactive' pricing, after registration, or indeed you will encounter what they charmingly refer to as 'super special prices for foreigners', lol.

Kev's "n.et" hack should be worth a million... easily. But because it's Ethiopia, I say you can reduce the price by a thousand times or more; I wish him all the very best with his Flippa sale.

Cheers

•••
It was our initiative.

capit.al
commerci.al
financi.al
homosexu.al
meeti.ng
profession.al
ventu.re
artifici.al
ni.ki
tweeti.ng
medicin.al
unre.al
univers.al
ed.gy
sunri.se
ome.ga
strict.ly
gemi.ni

Auctions start tomorrow @ Sedo!

•••
•••
We sold Que.st for $5000.

In other news Undeveloped.com is doing a curated list of domain hacks and for the occasion we are offering up to 70% discount. Offer available until wednesday.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back