NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yeah,that's a cool sale. the name sound juicy. was thinking it's gonna sell for more

I agree, it's a good hack. As for the price 'though, I thought it would sell for a lot less than that. After all, hacks hardly get any interest on Flippa and I think it was only because Flippa gave it an "Editors Choice" marking that it went as high as it did to be honest.

•••
guys, prices go up or down when real buyers get in the mix. 70%-90% of the transactions in digital marketplaces like flippa etc are being made between domainers.. More often than not the "smart" domainer buys the "he doesn't know what he has" domain (or at least he thinks). For example here in namepros iI think someone told me they didn't think much of the domain lecture()rs but actually it generated interest in the real world. And of course other domains that seem to be highly valuable for domainers e.g. brandbucket likes them, stay in the "self" for years. Sharing highly priced sales boosts the ego of noob domainers like myself who seek validation :)

•••
I think the best site utilizing a domain hack is foc.us. I love how all the branding on the products also use the domain hack so it's not just a domain it's the brand.

Last edited:
•••
I think the best site utilizing a domain hack is foc.us. I love how all the branding on the products also use the domain hack so it's not just a domain it's the brand.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yup that's me.

By the way, last month I sold Captu.re for $5312 (source) and Sho.es was sold for $11,000 via Flippa.

•••
•••
Know I know why I was not able to reg those and where they are.

To me, it is not so much about a return on investment. It is just plain fun. And so easy to brand.

Guitar players...stru.ms Swimmers...swi.ms Healthy cooking alternative...stea.ms

Stea.ms
Sport.sTea.ms (little long)

Guitar playing tips, best beaches, etc.

Another I own, again on a whim, is hit.name. The only .name I own.

Good for domain reselling site or blog. Not sure where to take it.

hit.name
a.hit.name
ItsA.hit.name
s.hit.name

See, it can be fun. Its creative

I've got many others and other extensions but can't recall at the moment.

Just have fun with it. Domains are words.
perfect examples of worthless domain hacks . sure hacks are cool & fun if you just collect them to hold onto but if you want to do something with it the domain has to mean something & if your looking to sell, well if has to be a good domain hack . no offense but the above examples are a waste of money & time . a hack HAS TO BE BRANDABLE for it to have monetary value , plain & simple . I currently have two hacks , one is whats known as a "phrase"hack & the other is something that I may work on in the near future . hacks with two dots (or more) aren't true domain hacks in my opinion , besides they don't look natural & they just look weird .... for example take the above word (sports teams ), SPOR.STEA.MS (it looks ridiculous ) next to the same hack SPORTSTEA.MS(which is a true hack , in my humble opinion )

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I have just posted in another thread trying to explain the potential of L-L-L.com's to a thread starter who wondered if they had any value in the future. Then I realised that the explanation I had given was just as important to domain hacks, indeed perhaps more so.

With the decline in what is termed 'traditional media' advertising (newspapers, radio, tv) and the growth in online advertising the method of delivery is changing as well from a mainly aural to visual medium. This change is particularly important as far as 'hacked names' is concerned. (We must really come up with a better term for these type of domians by the way, because of the general persona associated with anything that is 'hacked' it does instill a negative response from many when first introduced to them.)

A hacked domain is truely far more unique than a 'conventional' domain name where it is only the suffix that can be different between hundreds of different domains. A hacked domain, say 'lapto.ps' is entirely different to any other domain name, and when seen is automatically recognised as such by the prospective targeted marketed audiance. Now the growth of online advertising with its mainly visual medium means that aunique domain name that can easily be remembered and indeed noted due to its novelty is an extremely important marketing tool for advertisers and their clients.

I hope this makes sense, it is late in the day here in the UK and I have another 4-5 hours to go yet!

Xman, thanks for the welcome back. :tu:
nice post , something to keep in mind , I own two domain hacks at the moment , looking to get more if the right ones come along .

•••
•••
•••
besides they don't look natural & they just look weird .... for example take the above word (sports teams ), SPOR.STEA.MS (it looks ridiculous ) next to the same hack SPORTSTEA.MS(which is a true hack , in my humble opinion )

I agree with this completely. Yes, both domains are technically "exact" names, but to have the greatest value and also to avoid confusion, they have to look elegant...

Spor.stea.ms, as you say, just looks ridiculous and is also impossible to state verbally.

Last edited:
•••
simply no , not hacks .

In my view, these domains are "exact" names or "hacks". I wouldn't want any of them myself, but they are still a kind of word hack...

•••
Last edited:
•••
Anyone with GEO or 2L hacks to sell feel free to get in touch... Cash offer waiting.

•••
•••
I got some domains but not sure if they are all proper "hacks":
deposit.it
nolimit.es
wax.it
cum.it
howtospend.it
pad.it
purify.it
pip.it (sold sedo for 4k but buyer disappeared after the negotiation)
unf.it
van.it

suggestions welcome!

•••
•••
•••
The domain hack Juic.es sold for $2,580 on Flippa a few days ago according to Namebio!
That's good to know. I have flattir.es and was wondering what the value could be. I'm about to list it on Flippa.

•••
Hi, well it's perhaps not one of the best hacks i've ever seen. The other problem is that these domain usually don't sell at all well on Flippa.

Also, I think the guy who sold juic.es on there had already done over $100K or so in sales on the site so he may have had some special treatment/exposure re: his sale.

Anyway, I hope you do well with it, but if you do decide to list please don't be offended if you get no bids.

Cheers,

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back