Domain Empire

Value of .com dropped vowel vs. exact spelling alternate tld

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

flashcrash

Impact
I read an article on sedo discouraging use of dropped vowel domains, "Why Dropping Vowels or Making Up Words is a Bad Idea for Domain Names". The author suggests that the practice of dropping a vowel is outdated and that flickr would have chosen flicker.photos or some other alternate tld if they had launched today and not in the early 00s.

I am looking to get the community's opinion on the relative value of a dropped vowel .com domain vs. alternate TLDs. Domain site appraisal sites seem to disagree with the author of the article. The domains I am considering are single words ending in 'er'. For example, thriftr.com vs thrifter.ai or thrifter.tv. These are examples only. If your intention was to build a site, drive traffic to it, and hold it for at least a decade, how would you rank the following in terms of value / cost?

thriftr.com purchased for $$$$.$$
thrifter.ai or thrifter.tv hand registered
thrifterplus.com hand registered
thrifterx.com hand registered

Assume that both the domain name and alternate tlds are both very relevant to the site content.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back