Dynadot

.us .us.com - Does anyone use this?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
Hi Guy's,

Looking for help on .us.com - Does anyone use the ext? Does it get traffic?

What .us.com names do you own?

Sales I havent seen or heard of any sales on the .us.com - do you know of any?

Look forward to your reply,

Regards,

Robbie D-:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These are a big waste of time. They're basically just subdomains being passed off as real domains. Domainers tend to avoid them, while actual end users and small companies buy them in place of .com or .us.

The mastermind behind this is really pulling in some cash for this, but these names aren't attractive to most domainers.

•••
No sales to report. No interest from end-users or domainers.

•••
I acquired Emage.us not too long ago. I don't have intentions to sell it and plan on running an image host site on it. I think it would be easy to drive traffic to this domain because of it's brandable.

•••
I believe he's asking about .us.com, not simply .us

•••
i'll just go for .us if i can and last time i read about this it can be regged at netsol? 2 of them to be avoided.

•••
Zona said:
No sales to report. No interest from end-users or domainers.

I'm sorry but that's incorrect.

I'm not a fan of us.com subdomains myself, but there have been some reported sales and there are quite a number of small businesses and even bigger ones who use us.com or uk.com subdomains.

Here are the reported sales I could find on Namebio and DNSalePrice :

beer.us.com $300
office.us.com $125
restaurants.us.com $145
hdtv.us.com $135
gig.us.com $444
men.us.com $200
myspacelayouts.us.com $110
auction.us.com $300
glittergraphics.us.com $2,000
familywatchdog.us.com $2,000
flirt.us.com $1,720
medicine $1,698

And there are around 1 million results in Google for us.com and for uk.com subdomains.

This doesn't make them wonderful, but it's incorrect to say that nobody's interested in them.

•••
weird, never heard of it, I really dislike these double extensions, even the totally legit ones like co.uk

•••
Timewarp said:
I really dislike these double extensions, even the totally legit ones like co.uk

"Double extensions" ??? What are you talking about ?

British domain names are third-level registrations taken under .co.uk (or .org.uk).

The .co.uk is hugely popular and successful in the UK and most British businesses and foreign companies doing business in the UK would much rather have a .co.uk domain rather than a .com

•••
I think .com is still better than .co.uk but I do agree the .co.uk is very strong out performs all other european markets

Thanks to everyone for there responce - I shall stick to my .us domains and not .us.com

Regards,

Robbie

ALL NP DONATIONS WELCOME!!!! :hehe:

•••
robfer said:
I think .com is still better than .co.uk but I do agree the .co.uk is very strong out performs all other european markets

What makes .com better than .co.uk in many cases is that it's a global TLD while .co.uk is a ccTLD.
If you're targetting the UK market, .co.uk is excellent, but it's surely less good for other markets or if you're trying to build an international brand.

If .co.uk is very strong, I think that .de (the German extension) is actually even stronger (even more domains registered, even more widely used in Germany).

•••
Michael,

I'm not saying that the .co.uk isnt a good ext, I own around 25% of my portfolio in .co.uk but I find most of my traffic comes from .com and .net - being type-in traffic - Other sites that I do have in .co.uk do generated UK only traffic.

.de is a good extension but I dont personally own any .de domains so I cant comment on this, just remember that this is my thoughts only.

Thank you for your reply,

Regards,

Robbie 8^X 8^X

•••
michaeldotcom said:
"Double extensions" ??? What are you talking about ?

British domain names are third-level registrations taken under .co.uk (or .org.uk).

The .co.uk is hugely popular and successful in the UK and most British businesses and foreign companies doing business in the UK would much rather have a .co.uk domain rather than a .com

I meant aesthetically, don't like the double dots and four characters, like I said, totally legit extension that I trust but dont like the looks of it or having to type the extra chars.

•••
Timewarp said:
weird, never heard of it, I really dislike these double extensions, even the totally legit ones like co.uk
I agree. For some reason .com.au, .com.us etc. just kind of bug me.

•••
Jakey said:
I agree. For some reason .com.au, .com.us etc. just kind of bug me.

To domainers it can look 'long' as the business is dealing in names day in day out , however it does not alter the value at all (unlike a persistant muppet on here was trying to argue on a different thread).

It is like saying the word Porche is uglier than Ferrari and thus the value is less :)

Going back on topic, I would be very very wary of fake domain names / sub delegated names that do not have a stable registrar and government behind it and the like.

Obviously like most things it is a case of weighing up the risk v returns, but for Name.us.com I would see it as cash down the drain.

•••
Hi there,

Can someone explain why you cannot register a simple .uk domain? why must it be .co.uk? that looks horrible.

Why can't you register a regular .uk?

Thanks in advance

•••
psalzmann said:
Hi there,

Can someone explain why you cannot register a simple .uk domain? why must it be .co.uk? that looks horrible.

Why can't you register a regular .uk?

Thanks in advance

Technically it ought to be .GB , however it is one of the oldest out there so in 1985 the longer term use of domain names was not entirely known.

For .uk you can have .co.uk , .ltd.uk , .me.uk , .org.uk etc

It is interesting to read up on the history of .uk , .gb and nominet :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominet_UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.gb

Cheers,
Rob.

•••
Hi Thanks Rob,

So you're saying it's impossible to register a domain.uk ? why? I understand now that it was one of the earilest domain tlds but what's with the co. or ltd. or whatever. It reminds me of that us.com hack where the owner bought a 2 letter domain and is now offering subdomain accounts.

I would much prefer domain.uk or as you suggest, domain.gb. However, .uk looks much more UKish but I am also aware gb stands for.

Sorry just a little rant. No harm (I hope) :D

Peter

•••
psalzmann said:
So you're saying it's impossible to register a domain.uk ? why? I understand now that it was one of the earilest domain tlds but what's with the co. or ltd. or whatever. It reminds me of that us.com hack where the owner bought a 2 letter domain and is now offering subdomain accounts.

I would much prefer domain.uk or as you suggest, domain.gb. However, .uk looks much more UKish but I am also aware gb stands for.

Sorry just a little rant. No harm (I hope) :D

Peter

No worries at all :)

You are right, it is not possible to purchase .uk directly from the domainer point of view.

.CO.UK is for commercial , and .LTD.UK is for limited companies. The .CO.UK is open for all comers whereas the .LTD.UK is restricted to those with a company number.

The reason for *why* is a tricky one but basically I believe it is that .UK would be too open and further categorization was required eg. .SCH.UK for schools.

It is interesting to see that for North America they have had to use .NET (.net.uk) .EDU (.sch.uk) .COM (.co.uk) and the like to cover the same bases, and if every country in the world did similar it would be unworkable.

•••
Rob,

You're very educated in this area. Kudos to you mate.

Thanks again!

Peter

•••
it would be good for .us typos, unfortunately only around 10-15 names with a high enough popularity to matter. IE: Imageshack.us.com ;)

•••
hey.co.uk said:
Obviously like most things it is a case of weighing up the risk v returns, but for Name.us.com I would see it as cash down the drain.

But still for some reason, the uk.com subdomains (similar to us.com and operated by Centralnic too) are fairly popular in the UK.

Not nearly as much as .co.uk obviously, but there are still quite a large number of small businesses and even a few big ones in the UK which use these uk.com subdomains.

For example, Dominos Pizza UK :
their customer-orientated site is http://www.dominos.co.uk
their institutional site for investor relations, franchising, etc is http://www.dominos.uk.com

•••
yep i use em for traffic hotel.us.com getting 5000 visitd a week so i arranged a deal with german site - rakes in $30,000 a week in bookings

•••
quality said:
yep i use em for traffic hotel.us.com getting 5000 visitd a week so i arranged a deal with german site - rakes in $30,000 a week in bookings

Are you an affiliate? I hope you are getting paid well for this!

Well done nice name!

Regards,

Rob

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back