IT.COM

report Up to date list of registrars which do not allow outbound transfers.

NameSilo
Watch

Primary Names

Top Member
Impact
I hope this post will serve as a warning for newcomers like me to stay a mile away from the registrars which do not allow transfers. So that we know NOT to buy domains from the registered at these registrars. I am creating this seed list taken from the signature of a senior member @stub . ( Hope he would chime in for more updates )

1. Domain
  2. Dotster
  3. MyDomain
  4. NetFirms
  5. Directnic
  6. FastHosts

While we are on the topic, also let us mention the registrars who makes it really difficult to transfer ( godaddy ... in my experience).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These are not my claims. My intent is only to keep the information updated. Also I have cited the source in the question. Thanks for the input though. Very helpful.

I don't think that's justification for posting misleading/incorrect information. Even after counter claims, you've not updated your original post (I'm not sure if you can though) so the incorrect information is still present

•••
A resource and list that may be worth creating as a reference would be one that includes things like whether registrars allow:
  • Opting out of the 60-day Registrant change lock
  • Permit expediting outgoing transfers
  • Allow outgoing transfers for domains using WHOIS privacy (not all do which forces people to remove privacy in order to transfer)

My original intention exactly. Up to date information regarding the transfers.

Thanks @namesilo very helpful. I have a few domains with you guys and am very happy with the service. Cheers.

•••
Godaddy does not make it difficult at all. I transfer a domain a couple of days ago and the transfer actually completed in ~30 minutes. GoDaddy is one of the few registrars that allow expedited transfer approval (PDR does not have this feature so you need to wait out the full transfer duration)

There are a lot of registrars besides GoDaddy which expedite transfers. Some are automatic, and some require manual intervention. GoDaddy's method is one of the best. Easy to use, and the entire transfer is controlled by you. Actually, I'm usually chomping at the bit, if it takes more than half an hour :)

•••
If these claims were true, there would already be posts about it all over NamePros.

•••
I transferred a domain out of Dotster with no problem. Clearly, the misunderstanding has been resolved. If a registrar didn't allow transfers out, they wouldn't be ICANN accredited. It's a huge deal to not allow transfers out. As far as the 60 day transfer lock, there are nice companies (such as Namecheap who just don't have it), decent companies (such as Uniregistry who let you opt out), and annoying companies (such as GoDaddy that force it). If you're talking about companies that force it, there are wayyy more than this. GoDaddy and Dynadot force the lock just to name a few.

•••
There are a lot of registrars besides GoDaddy which expedite transfers. Some are automatic, and some require manual intervention. GoDaddy's method is one of the best. Easy to use, and the entire transfer is controlled by you. Actually, I'm usually chomping at the bit, if it takes more than half an hour :)

Yep, I've transferred domains in about 30 minutes from Namecheap. Dotster was also easy to work with. Network Solutions made me hate my life. Took a total of 14 days between requesting the auth code and having the domain in my Namecheap account.

•••
Yep, I've transferred domains in about 30 minutes from Namecheap. Dotster was also easy to work with. Network Solutions made me hate my life. Took a total of 14 days between requesting the auth code and having the domain in my Namecheap account.

Yep. That's about right for NetSol :(

•••
Yep. That's about right for NetSol :(

Yeah. I would never touch Network Solutions. Unfortonately my mom fell into one of their transfer schemes by mail, so I had to transfer it out for her to a registrar with a reasonable price! Network Solutions charges absurd pricing.

•••
You don't think this is a worthwhile thread if treated properly?

you must mean if written and asked properly... yes for sure.. any thread is worthwhile if properly written and introduced.

cheers

•••
you must mean if written and asked properly... yes for sure.. any thread is worthwhile if properly written and introduced.

cheers

We all have different standards of experience and English. I wouldn't be as harsh as you have been on the OP. I believe his intentions were good. Comes off like a noob. Which he is. I've asked for this thread to be cleaned up. But so far. Nothing forthcoming from the Admins :(

•••
While we are on the topic, also let us mention the registrars who makes it really difficult to transfer ( godaddy ... in my experience).

godaddy is super simple to leave

•••
•••
Dynadot also prevents you from transferring out after expiry.

At Rebel.com, after domain expiration, domain gets locked and only option is to renew at high price +$5 administration fee.

•••
Dynadot also prevents you from transferring out after expiry.

. . . it is against ICANN policy for any registrar to prevent transfer after expiry ALTHOUGH they can try to hide this or skirt the issue so @drsheraz this is technically not correct for Rebel, they likely make it seem that way to force you to stay - other registrars do the same, you have to know the tricks to work around it.

. . . All registrars are required to allow outbound transfers (by ICANN) - and I have transferred domains out of many of the registrars on your list with no issues.

Last edited:
•••
Really @usernamex , so what would you call Dynadot hiding the auth code past expiry and refusing to help you when you request it? I would love to make this thread useful and have someone tell me how they got around this.

•••
Sorry you had a bad experience @buywebsites.biz - Of course if they are not helping through regular support channels, then you start complaining anywhere you can get their attention - facebook twitter and here on NP. Specifically now @Dynadot has a rep here who has been active lately

IF you want to be proactively prepared ahead of time, and you know to look for it, they do have a bulk method
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/bulk-EPP-codes

After seeing so many people having trouble getting Auth Codes, I started building my own spreadsheet for ALL my names at ALL registrars, the bulk request method is one trick that works after expiry, yet as in this case the bulk export requires support. But at least they have the option, there are a few, like LogicBoxes that do not have a way to export bulk auth codes even with support helping.

And yes, you can never know what issues you will face until it is happening, so you hope support will actually come through in these scenarios.

•••
Domains can be transferred out of domain.com, have transferred many domain names

•••
•••
And in this thread MasterOfMyDomains says he's transferred out a name from FastHosts.
It apperas that OP is FAKE NEWS lol.

•••
@33S I have repeatedly asked people to not join this thread and asked the admin to delete this. So mind your own business and stop with the judging and trolling threads without reading and understanding the entire conversation, with nothing constructive to contribute.

Last edited:
•••
@33S I have repeatedly asked people to not join this thread and asked the admin to delete this. So mind your own business and stop with the judging and trolling threads without reading and understanding the entire conversation, with nothing constructive to contribute.
Just lock the thread.

•••
You can transfer out of netfirms at will

•••
I hope this post will serve as a warning for newcomers like me to stay a mile away from the registrars which do not allow transfers.

You really shouldn't post this kind of nonsense. And care to explain how exactly GoDaddy makes transfers difficult?

•••
care to explain how exactly GoDaddy makes transfers difficult?

I don't use domain privacy anymore at Godaddy, but I bet the average enduser will suffer some frustrations xferring out a private GD domain. GD domain transfers with privacy enabled will be rejected if you fail to clear the privacy lock. Most end users aren't going to know that there's a completely different site you have to visit (domainsbyproxy) to release the lock.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back