IT.COM

report Up to date list of registrars which do not allow outbound transfers.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Primary Names

Top Member
Impact
I hope this post will serve as a warning for newcomers like me to stay a mile away from the registrars which do not allow transfers. So that we know NOT to buy domains from the registered at these registrars. I am creating this seed list taken from the signature of a senior member @stub . ( Hope he would chime in for more updates )

1. Domain
  2. Dotster
  3. MyDomain
  4. NetFirms
  5. Directnic
  6. FastHosts

While we are on the topic, also let us mention the registrars who makes it really difficult to transfer ( godaddy ... in my experience).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hope this post will serve as a warning for newcomers like me to stay a mile away from the registrars which do not allow transfers. So that we know NOT to buy domains from the registered at these registrars. I am creating this seed list taken from the signature of a senior member @stub . ( Hope he would chime in for more updates )

1. Domain
  2. Dotster
  3. MyDomain
  4. NetFirms
  5. Directnic
  6. FastHosts

While we are on the topic, also let us mention the registrars who makes it really difficult to transfer ( godaddy ... in my experience).

Registrars from 1-4 from your list do allow all kind of transfers. The difference is domain push / account change within the registrar is available only with an assistance of their support (chat is available 24/7).

I don't use Directnic and FastHost, but AFAIK FH does allow all kind of transfers as well, so your claims are pretty false here.

Friendly advice: read (learn), read(learn), read(learn), then post if necessary.....

•••
At Rebel.com, after domain expiration, domain gets locked and only option is to renew at high price +$5 administration fee.

•••
Registrars from 1-4 from your list do allow all kind of transfers. The difference is domain push / account change within the registrar is available only with an assistance of their support (chat is available 24/7).

I don't use Directnic and FastHost, but AFAIK FH does allow all kind of transfers as well, so your claims are pretty false here.

Friendly advice: read (learn), read(learn), read(learn), then post if necessary.....
These are not my claims. My intent is only to keep the information updated. Also I have cited the source in the question. Thanks for the input though. Very helpful.

•••
I've transferred a handful of FastHosts domains with no issues. All in all, they're not that bad. Just make it difficult to sign up.

After that, everything's good and they don't blast you with email marketing everyday or try to sneak more services into your shopping cart.

I'd say they're pretty damn great actually. Especially, with .COMs for 1 pound which is like $1.35.

•••
May I ask what do you mean by 'not allowing outbound transfers'?
Do you mean that we can't transfer out domains from said registrars during the 60-day lock or in general?

I'm only asking since I constantly transfer out domains from domain.com for years now and I've never had any problems. In fact, I transferred a few domains out to another registrar a couple of days ago.

•••
All registrars must allowed outbound transfers for legacy domain extensions such as .com,.net and .org. So I am not sure what you are talking about.

This thread is riddled with false information.

•••
1and1 used to be famous for this. Have they changed their policy?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Wrong Wrong Wrong - @codenoob what are you wanting to accomplish here?

ALSO it is against ICANN policy for any registrar to prevent transfer after expiry ALTHOUGH they can try to hide this or skirt the issue so @drsheraz this is technically not correct for Rebel, they likely make it seem that way to force you to stay - other registrars do the same, you have to know the tricks to work around it.

•••
As everyone has pointed out above - your claims are incorrect. No one should read this thread and take it as fact.

All registrars are required to allow outbound transfers (by ICANN) - and I have transferred domains out of many of the registrars on your list with no issues.

Account transfers at the same registrar differ at each company - but generally can be done via support if there is not an option on the interface.

No domain less than 60 days old can be transferred out to another registrar no matter what company you are with - as this is an ICANN rule.

Also, you mention that Godaddy makes it hard to transfer - which could not be further from the truth. Transfers are virtually instant once you confirm the emails and approve the transfer.

Not sure what prompted you to post this, but it contributes nothing to this community but falsehoods.

•••
•••
@equity78 - As moderator - Can this thread be deleted to prevent people from reading only the first post and assuming it is fact, or can the Title of the thread be changed to make note of it?

•••
Yeah we know. How about thrashing the thread?

•••
•••
dog-question-mark-curious.png

•••
OMG.. This place needs TLs again so bad. Every time we ask for moderation no one has privileges to make them.

Cant be only admins that have full mod access.

•••
Dear Members. My apologies to all. It is not my intention to spread falsehoods. I presumed something to be true without enough research and one thing led to another. All this because I was unable to edit the thread as I realized my mistake. @Eric Lyon Please delete this thread.

•••
LOL..

Just checked your source. @stub means he wont buy domains that are locked for 60 days at those registrars.

You misunderstood and frankly you should do more research before posting stuff like this.

EDIT
Come on guys. No registrar has a policy of not allowing transfers.. Thats just stupid..
http://help.1and1.com/domains-c3693...sfer-your-domain-away-from-1and1-a722954.html

Funny. I thought that list looked familiar :) You have to opt out of this new ruling at your registrar. however most registrars automatically set your preferences to turn it off. Some ask you at the time it occurs whether you want to opt out. And some automatically have your preferences turned on. I've encountered all three of those circumstances since the new rules have come into effect. I would say a majority of registrars automatically turn your preference for this to off. I haven't been paying enough attention to tell you which registrars do what. But that is what this thread is supposed to be for ;)

•••
Hey @stub thanks for the tip about the preferences. My only intention was to create a little awareness among the newbies like me, if there was any such thing. Turns out, there is no such thing. I have not dealt with the registrars mentioned in ur signature so I would not know. I could have stopped the unnecessary pile-on if I could edit the question early on.

@anyone new coming to this thread - Further discussion is pointless. Please ignore this thread and move on.

•••
I think this is a valuable contribution to NamePros if we keep to intention of the OP, and ignore his faux pas (?)

•••
i think its best you just post a nice big fat HELLO EVERYONE post in the proper forum like every new comer...
,...instead of... this... whatever the heck this was ;)

have fun on np.

•••
i think its best you just post a nice big fat HELLO EVERYONE post in the proper forum like every new comer...
,...instead of... this... whatever the heck this was ;)

have fun on np.

You don't think this is a worthwhile thread if treated properly?

•••
Hey Everyone,

I was just replying to a different thread and noticed this discussion so thought I'd interject and hopefully add some clarification since there are a few issues at play when transferring...

First, there is the new (as of December 2016) ICANN rule permitting registrars to reject transfer of domains if the Registrant has been updated within the past 60 days and in which the Registrant did not opt-out of this 60-day lock. As @stub mentioned, this rule is implemented differently by registrars. Some default to an implicit opt-out in their terms, some permit opting out in various methods and others do not permit opting out at all.

Next, there is the issue of what is commonly-referred to as "expediting" outgoing transfers. This is technically referred to in EPP/registry land as "ACK" (short for "Acknowledge"). This is the process whereby losing registrars in a transfer can expedite outgoing transfers without the transfer needing to wait for 5-6 days to be completed automatically by the registry. Some registrars allow this, some do not. It is not mandated by ICANN that registrars permit Registrants to expedite/ACK outgoing transfers, but many registrars do.

As a registrar that transfers many domains, I can tell you that there is a lot of misinformation out there about these and other transfer rules. Also, several ccTLDs have their own rules.

A resource and list that may be worth creating as a reference would be one that includes things like whether registrars allow:
  • Opting out of the 60-day Registrant change lock
  • Permit expediting outgoing transfers
  • Allow outgoing transfers for domains using WHOIS privacy (not all do which forces people to remove privacy in order to transfer)
Anyway, hope I was able to shed a little light on this topic :)

•••

Godaddy does not make it difficult at all. I transfer a domain a couple of days ago and the transfer actually completed in ~30 minutes. GoDaddy is one of the few registrars that allow expedited transfer approval (PDR does not have this feature so you need to wait out the full transfer duration)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back