.TV Renewal Increases September 1, 2017

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Just got this in my email.....

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for choosing Dynadot as your .TV registrar. We wanted to let you know that due to a central registry cost increase, we will be increasing our .TV prices starting 9/1/17 00:00 EDT. This increase will affect .TV pricing for registrations, renewals, and transfers.

Our new 1 year .TV pricing will be:

Regular: $29.99
Bulk: $27.99
Super Bulk: $26.75

Sign in to renew your .TV at our current pricing before September 1.

If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

Best,
Team Dynadot
dynadot.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just received... Very bad news and I honestly can't understand what goes into the Registry mind.

•••
Yes this makes me reconsider my .tv holdings

•••
Well, I guess that is what happens with so many new tlds. Costs need to be paid.

Shame though. I like .tv

I guess for major players the $30 will not be a big deal.... it will make people either crap or get off the pot on sitting on questionable names.

•••
They want more more more money from .tv registrant :(

•••
So is this a flow on from a Versign decision or just dynadot chasing extra cash I wonder?

•••
So is this a flow on from a Versign decision or just dynadot chasing extra cash I wonder?
The email indicated that it was the registry.

•••
•••
Probably, Tuvalu's government has raised the annual rental fee for Verisign...

•••
From my reading, it appears that Tuvalu has been unsatisfied with the amount of capital it is receiving for use of it's TLD. Could be the reason.

•••
From my reading, it appears that Tuvalu has been unsatisfied with the amount of capital it is receiving for use of it's TLD. Could be the reason.
I don't think they have ever been happy .........join the club

•••
This is a really painful $5 hike on the regular price if you use dynadot.

I remember the days of $9.99 registrations so to see them now at $29.99 is quite a shock.

Possibly one of the dumbest/smartest moves we've seen from the registry for quite some time.

I'm sure some people will keep lower level names but I think for very many this will ensure a much closer look at our portfolios. In my case I reckon I will drop 100% of my 'not so great' names as it makes more sense to concentrate on the truly great names only.

I hope Verisign have done their homework because this seems like a damn fool accountant/economist is being over optimistic with their forecast for retention rates in .tv at this inflated price.

As a final point this move will have saved me several thousand dollars each year as I begin to only make renewals on anything but great names.

Should I curse Verisign or thank them?

•••
Yep I have pencilled in to drop about 90% due to price hike and lack of interest

•••
•••
$28-$30 renewals were high enough for an extension where despite a few sales demand IMO is anemic

I have already dropped many decent keywords but another $5 and I surely won't be adding to my portfolio in the next year.

Of course the registry's strategy with increased renewals could be to indirectly claw back keywords to re-release them as premiums.

•••
I moved quite everything to Dyna (Name used to be but they're now absolutely awful), since they're the best for me and renewed since 2019 .
In any case the increase is for sure a bad news, but my thought is that if a domain isn't worth renewing at 30$ it wasn't at 23$ too

•••
I moved quite everything to Dyna (Name used to be but they're now absolutely awful), since they're the best for me and renewed since 2019 .
In any case the increase is for sure a bad news, but my thought is that if a domain isn't worth renewing at 30$ it wasn't at 23$ too
If I had achieved a great sale like yours I would be thinking a little different as well I guess

•••
If I had achieved a great sale like yours I would be thinking a little different as well I guess
In my opinion it's not a matter of past sales or money. If you don't think a domain is worthed 30$ it means you don't think it's worthed 23$ too because it's probably a mediocre domain (I've had and I have this kind of domain) so it's better to drop.
Some years ago a great domainer and even a greater person (@GoneWalkabout) told me "If you are registering a domain and you don't feel confident to register it for at least 5 years you should probably pass".
And I think about this every time I make a new reg.

•••
Some years ago a great domainer and even a greater person (@GoneWalkabout) told me "If you are registering a domain and you don't feel confident to register it for at least 5 years you should probably pass".
And I think about this every time I make a new reg.

My domain count would be twelve : ponder wink :

Kidding aside, this is very helpful, even if it's just a mental exercise to add perspective. The practical matter of actually paying up front for 5 years is different than just using the idea to gain insight on your gut feeling about the quality of the domain.

/OT

•••
When the dynadot specials were on a few years ago I did reg a few for 7-8 years, although upon reflection I would have chosen differently these days, anyway's they do exist, I think about 5 years to go on VIrtualGame

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back