Dynadot

Turning lemons into lemonade

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What best describes your approach to lemons?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
From time to time, I feel moved to start a thread that I think might help one person in particular. However, considering the collective wisdom of many independent thinkers, this might also help others. This thread is about turning lemons into lemonade. As a self-described incurable optimist, it is one of my favorite topics. In my experience, the folks who figure this out early are better off than the ones who never learn it.

As context, on NamePros, I have met lots of cool people, some of whom have really amazing life stories. In fact, in 2019 alone, I have gotten to know many people here whom I now consider to be my trusted friends whose advice I keenly observe and in some of whom I now blindly trust. There are some folks here that are now practically family. And, yes, Epik also hired some folks here too.

To illustrate what I mean about lemons and lemonade, I will share a couple of examples that will be familiar to some NP members:

- Back in March 2019, a few people in the domain industry thought it would be a good idea to chastise me for protecting lawful free speech. This happened in blogs and also here on NamePros. I am not sure about their intention, but whoever was condemning me, ended up making me a lot more popular. In short, my response to being condemned was to engage with authenticity, and to let the crowd conclude for themselves if the manufactured consensus actually held any water. Well, many of you know how that worked out. Much to the chagrin of my harshest critics, Epik has gone from strength to strength as we co-create without care for who makes money or who gets credit.

- Earlier this year, Epik began to make significant inroads as a provider of escrow services for domain investors. The topic was introduced in a thread on NamePros, and within weeks, our friends at Escrow.com dispatched at least 6 state regulators to our doorstep. Although that process was time consuming, and even a bit daunting, we navigated those inquiries. One of the state regulators was kind enough to leak us the complaint. It fingered the instigator as one Jackson Elsegood. At one point when Jackson thought to engage in more of his nonsense, I let him have it, exposing Escrow.com once and for all. Matt Barrie got cute and he got a beatdown too! Our escrow business is booming, by the way and we are just getting started.

This is what I call turning lemons into lemonade. It is all about perspective. What are some principles:

- Be authentic: An early boss at P&G told me this: "First figure out the truth. Then explain truth." If you don't know yourself well enough to explain yourself, go fix that. If you know you screwed up, go deal with that. Acknowledge your faults. Everyone makes mistakes. Live and learn.

- Listen to your critics: Some of them are smart. They can teach you stuff, even if they don't really want to help you. The ones that point out your errors, probably never read Machiavelli who famously says to never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.

- Try to find the upside: Is there some new circumstance that you had not considered before, consider whether you can accomplish something based on your unique situation. Most situations are not nearly as dire as you think they are. And indeed some things happen for a reason! That's providence.

- Find your tribe: Almost everyone loves an underdog. As long as you are not an unrepentant ass, people will come find you and share their wisdom for whatever you are dealing with at the moment. When the student is ready, the teacher appears. Humility is a great foundation for personal growth.

Here are a few simple examples that I know apply to some folks here:

- Spouse cheated on you? Be thankful, you are liberated. Learn from your mistakes. Up your game. Grow in grace. Have confidence that providence has a better spouse out there. Or go back, but on your terms.

- Lost a loved one? Consider setting up a charitable foundation in honor of what that person most cherished. In so doing, know that you are celebrating, preserving and extending their legacy.

- Lost your job? Perhaps that job was not right for you anyway. Assess your strengths and passions. Start a business, or find something that is more perfect for you. If you are diligent, it will work out great!

- Perpetually single? Consider becoming a Digital Nomad. Live anywhere for almost nothing and see the world. You will have way more stories to tell. I am trying to convince @franka46 to set up a Domainer Dojo.

- Sick or injured? Become an expert on personal health. Develop a spiritual practice. Make new friends. Let your light shine. Do you still think your life sucks? Listen to this guy:

The list goes on. I am sure everyone here has had their share of lemons. Curious to hear your story. If it involves domaining, even better!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you ever had something work out very terribly, to the point that it pushed you to the brink of despondency, but then to have it all work out in the end?

did you?
how did it go?
what did you experience?
what did you decide in the end to handle differently for the future?
did you do so?

•••
@Rob

what has changed since I asked you to ponder about the necessity of supporting holocaust deniers?

what lemonade did you make out of it?
how could you turn this into profit?

upload_2019-11-5_20-4-29.png

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-and-rob-monster.1128748/page-88#post-7357790

does this in any way relate to you
talking about
"not regretting" to have Jewish friends?

3:24 min

Last edited:
•••
@Rob

what has changed since I asked you to ponder about the necessity of supporting holocaust deniers?

what lemonade did you make out of it?
how could you turn this into profit?

Show attachment 134225

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-and-rob-monster.1128748/page-88#post-7357790

does this in any way relate to you
talking about
"not regretting" to have Jewish friends?

Frank,

The part of "not regretting" was about learning the Jewish moedim or feast days. For a time, I was an observant Jew, in the sense of trying to earn salvation through Torah observance, rather than resting in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

You are quoting out of context to support a false narrative. It is no better than what the authors at Wikipedia have been allowed to do. So, the result is that you are a false accuser and a liar. You might want to rethink that strategy. Whatever payoff you think you are going to get is not going to be nearly sufficient.

Why don't you call me sometime? Here's my number: +1.425-765-0077.

Regards,
Rob

•••
You are quoting out of context to support a false narrative. It is no better than what the authors at Wikipedia have been allowed to do. So, the result is that you are a false accuser and a liar. You might want to rethink that strategy.

I am asking questions, Rob

and I show the original content
that causes me asking

how can that be a lie?

•••
I am asking questions, Rob

and I show the original content
that causes me asking

how can that be a lie?

Frank -

You should call Rob. He has offered to speak with you. You may soon realize that your judgement is completely misguided. Those of us that have spoken with him, and through our observations, have a much different perspective than what you are accusing him of. Please take the opportunity to speak with him.

Peace!

•••
Frank -

You should call Rob. He has offered to speak with you. You may soon realize that your judgement is completely misguided. Those of us that have spoken with him, and through our observations, have a much different perspective than what you are accusing him of. Please take the opportunity to speak with him.

Peace!

questions stay unanswered

holocaust denier videos online served on epiks servers
protected by Robs decision
not to take them down

I have nothing personal against Rob
so no need to talk personally

he does what he can
thats for sure

Peace!

•••
questions stay unanswered

holocaust denier videos online served on epiks servers
protected by Robs decision
not to take them down

I have nothing personal against Rob
so no need to talk personally

he does what he can
thats for sure

Peace!
You really have it wrong. Unfortunately, with your unwillingness to speak to him, you will only continue to be misguided as your accusations are a distance from the truth.

Good luck!

•••
Is this thread for me, Rob? This year has brought the lemon tree to my backyard, in all honesty, the lemonade was starting to get to me. Rob has truly helped me in ways I never expected anyone, let alone a community of fellow domainers, to come to my aid with genuine advise and true value-first reciprocity.

On the topic of economic reward, Rob deserves every penny that is coming to him. The true value for people like Rob is not rewarded enough and I truly believe we are the market to pick the winners.

•••
You really have it wrong. Unfortunately, with your unwillingness to speak to him, you will only continue to be misguided as your accusations are a distance from the truth.

Good luck!

This thread is about turning lemons into lemonade. As a self-described incurable optimist, it is one of my favorite topics. In my experience, the folks who figure this out early are better off than the ones who never learn it.

This thread is about turning lemons into lemonade.

my question was:
how the "lemon"
(hosting a holocaust denier video
and me exposing it)

was turned into lemonade

•••
Is this thread for me, Rob? This year has brought the lemon tree to my backyard, in all honesty, the lemonade was starting to get to me. Rob has truly helped me in ways I never expected anyone, let alone a community of fellow domainers, to come to my aid with genuine advise and true value-first reciprocity.

On the topic of economic reward, Rob deserves every penny that is coming to him. The true value for people like Rob is not rewarded enough and I truly believe we are the market to pick the winners.

Well, Dan, believe it or not, I deal with a lot of hardship cases. Yours was one of them but guess what, you are coming through it, and with your portfolio almost entirely in tact. It is a success story in the making! We still need to get you a $100K sale, but you have some contenders, so let's see what providence brings.

•••

Good luck!

the next related question
which may have not been so obvious
was:

please help me, show me a way
how to turn the lemon Rob gave me

A) exposing my last name which wasn't used at namepros before
and only known to him as I am a customer of epik as a domain registrar

and

B) directly connecting me on a personal level
to one of the worst nazis - the founder of the Gestapo

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-and-rob-monster.1128748/page-89#post-7360779

Show attachment 134228

Last edited:
•••
•••
I am trying to help. Again, you should speak to Rob.

thank you for support

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

Last edited:
•••
You are probably over-thinking this one as if there is some hidden agenda measured in dollars. The intent is as advertised, and that is to encourage people who are in a rough patch. Is that so hard to fathom?

Hi

there is no over thinking involved

I see it for what it is

but, if it encourages others, in the way you intended the encouragement to be taken, then power to the people

still, i can't see how pouring salt out of one hand and holding sugar in the other.... wait a sec.
i see now

Have you ever had something work out very terribly, to the point that it pushed you to the brink of despondency, but then to have it all work out in the end?

so far in life, i haven't been in that position.
sure, :poop: happens that you have no control over, but being on the brink of despondency, nope.

imo...

•••
I once bought a lemon. And turned it into $9K.

True story. One lemon into $9K.

The lemon was a brand new BMW that gave me few unrelated and/or repeating glitches in the first year of ownership. I had BMW fix all the issues with my X5 and pay me $9K as compensation. I drove the car for couple more years and then traded in for another brand new X5...

See? There! No need to make a lemonade ))

•••
so far in life, i haven't been in that position.
sure, :poop: happens that you have no control over, but being on the brink of despondency, nope.

yes, I know the feeling,
but there is always a cure

otherwise, you wouldn't be here

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~ Matthew 6:34

•••
I am the person that started the infamous topic mentioned in the opening post by Rob.

Other than a few posts I have not participated in the topic, I originally opened it to ask a question about something I saw mentioned on another website. At no point in time did I ever think it would run away and become one of the biggest topics of the year on namepros.

Do I regret opening it?

Yes and No

Yes: because I really like Rob and I often state that in my opinion he is one of the most forward thinking guys in the domaining industry.

No: Because it gave me more insight to who Rob and his company is.

So my personal opinion is that Rob is a straight up guy, true to his word. Sometimes he wears his heart on his sleeve but his personal opinions are wide and varied. He is the type of person I would love to sit down with and talk domains with.

I think a lot of people come down too hard on him but his response is usually measured and not a personal attack. As much as I agree with some of his opinions, I also tend to disagree with others but that is no different from anyone I engage on namepros.

So I will close by saying I very much enjoy reading his topics but I pretty well stay away from the one I started because I don't think it does justice to everything he has accomplished.

Good luck Rob and thank you for the lemonade (y)

Last edited:
•••
Actually, I will disagree. There is wisdom in understanding that not all setbacks are setbacks.
You may have missed my intent a bit.

It was my weak attempt at humor using the quote "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" from Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet to comment on the negative feedback which always seems to appear.

•••
from Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet

Mine eyes smell onions (from All's Well That Ends Well)

HeHe.... which I often think about when I read parts of the now infamous topic.

•••
I am the person that started the infamous topic mentioned in the opening post by Rob.

Other than a few posts I have not participated in the topic, I originally opened it to ask a question about something I saw mentioned on another website. At no point in time did I ever think it would run away and become one of the biggest topics of the year on namepros.

Do I regret opening it?

Yes and No

Yes: because I really like Rob and I often state that in my opinion he is one of the most forward thinking guys in the domaining industry.

No: Because it gave me more insight to who Rob and his company is.

So my personal opinion is that Rob is a straight up guy, true to his word. Sometimes he wears his heart on his sleeve but his personal opinions are wide and varied. He is the type of person I would love to sit down with and talk domains with.

I think a lot of people come down too hard on him but his response is usually measured and not a personal attack. As much as I agree with some of his opinions, I also tend to disagree with others but that is no different from anyone I engage on namepros.

So I will close by saying I very much enjoy reading his topics but I pretty well stay away from the one I started because I don't think it does justice to everything he has accomplished.

Good luck Rob and thank you for the lemonade (y)

All good.

Like I said, I appreciate the result. At the time, when that particular thread was started, I strongly debated whether to engage at all. Outside of the domain industry, there is still a vast array of folks who still have a misconception of who I am and what drives me, but so be it. I am no chef, but lemons are versatile.

So, thanks for the lemons.

•••
the next related question
which may have not been so obvious
was:

please help me, show me a way
how to turn the lemon Rob gave me

A) exposing my last name which wasn't used at namepros before
and only known to him as I am a customer of epik as a domain registrar

and

B) directly connecting me on a personal level
to one of the worst nazis - the founder of the Gestapo

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-and-rob-monster.1128748/page-89#post-7360779

Show attachment 134228

If you actually want anonymity, you might start by removing your picture and perhaps by using WHOIS privacy on all your domains. I think you gain a lot more by being authentic and a known person.

As for the Nazi stuff, my point there and here is that I am not more of a Nazi than you are. In fact, believe it or not, I am quite sure that I am more like an Oskar Schindler than I am to an Adolf Hitler.

So, let's get back to the topic of lemonade. Frank, you are a pretty old guy. I bet you have a lemons into lemonade story to tell. Right?

•••
If you actually want anonymity, you might start by removing your picture and perhaps by using WHOIS privacy on all your domains. I think you gain a lot more by being authentic and a known person.

clear breach of privacy
as you used data from my epik account
not public data

how do you know its my picture?

•••
I think a lot of people come down too hard on him but his response is usually measured and not a personal attack.

This is bs and you know it.

Come down to hard on him? Go reread the thread you started. It went beyond just helping the hate site out, literally passing along hate memes. I went over there and read the stuff being posted, it's not imaginary stuff.

No personal attacks in responses? My first interactions with him were exactly that with his responses. This is how he responds to some other members:

"Actually, you are a troll, and indeed and an anonymous one with no transaction history and probably multiple personas on Namepros. I look forward to you being outed some day soon. All will be revealed, my friend. The God in heaven knows exactly who you are. I don't judge you but He surely will."

He just posted video calling somebody a witch. His very first post in this thread, let him have it, beatdown.

Outside of the domain industry, there is still a vast array of folks who still have a misconception of who I am and what drives me, but so be it..

Ok, let me ask you straight up. Why did you repost an anti-Muslim meme at Gab? The one where it had Christianity was spread with people hanging out on rocks, all smiling, Islam spread thru violence. I see that as participating in spreading hate towards Muslims. That Muslims can't be trusted, they're violent etc. So tell me what my misconception on that is.

•••
So, let's get back to the topic of lemonade. Frank, you are a pretty old guy. I bet you have a lemons into lemonade story to tell. Right?

Rob

you won't get me that easily

it wasn't me posting all this controversial stuff
and it wasn't God who told you to do so

it was you, Rob

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back