IT.COM

advice Transfer out from GoDaddy

NameSilo
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hi guys

I have a few names expired 2 weeks at Godaddy, and I am planning to transfer out to Uniregistry.

It looks like Godaddy needs me to renew first, then allow me to transfer away. But last month I have expired domains with dynadot, same situation, I can transfer away without renew first. The staff from Dynadot said based on ICANN policy, domains expired within 30 days can still transfer away

What do you suggest?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think Godaddy has very bad habit in this. A few days ago, I purcahsed a name from another NP seller, he said the domain has expired in one week, and he cannot provide me the auth code- as Godaddy request him to renew first, then to transfer out

Today, same thing, I am not allowed to transfer out without pay the renew first.

But please see the policy here:
https://ca.godaddy.com/help/transferring-expired-domain-names-5019

I talked to the godaddy guy online, he later changed his wording, he said I can. But he obviously want to make more money and they just thought I was a newbie and didnt know about domain policies

•••
You can transfer domains out of GoDaddy up to 42 days after expiry. But to be safe. I'd do it earlier than that. Just unlock the domain and request the Auth Code, and put in your transfer to the new registrar. It works just like any regular transfer.

•••
If the domain is expired you can't push/transfer the name into another Godaddy account. You must first renew the domain. To transfer out it is exactly what Stub said.

•••
Yes, technically it works...
But such expired domains are disappearing from GoDaddy's panel after ~15 days...
So you need to unlock and get AUTH-codes within this timeframe...

Last edited:
•••
I don't know how this month...
But in March I did a few expired transfer-outs at GoDaddy...

•••
Yes, technically it works...
But such expired domains are disappearing from GoDaddy's panel after ~12-14 days...
So you need to unlock and get AUTH-codes within this timeframe...
They are in the expired domains section. They are all listed there until day 42.

•••
.@Jurgen Wolf & @hookbox

You need to get this list by exporting the expired domain list from >Domains>More>Export Lists>Expired domains. It available for all expired domains right up to day 42.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for this advice...
I minimally use GoDaddy... more than 99% of my domains are under another registrars...

•••
Thanks for this advice...
I minimally use GoDaddy... more than 99% of my domains are under another registrars...

Please note. I corrected what I said, above. What @hookbox and I said only allows you to renew the domains at GoDaddy. You need to download the Expired Domain List, to get the Auth Codes.

•••
@Jurgen Wolf

OK Forget everything I said. You can do it from @hookbox's link, which I also said but erased. But I did notice one difference. between the 2. I had 1 .WS domain which was status Expired - Registry Redemption where this link wouldn't provide the Auth Code. But downloading the list would. I am only assuming that if this was a .COM with this status, you could still transfer it if you downloaded the Auth Code from the Expired Domain Download page.

•••
This export is useful only if certain domain is unlocked - per my understanding.
So I always do such transfers within ~15 days after ED while the domain is still fully manageable in GD-panel.

•••
@Jurgen Wolf

I can understand that. We all do thing a little differently. If the domain was locked, you can unlock it at the link @hookbox provided. So you don't necessarily have to do it within 15 days, is all I'm saying.

•••
I also did a few expired transfer-outs at GoDaddy without any problem. I usually did at more than 30 days before they expired.

•••
If your domain name has expired, you can still transfer it to another registrar during the renewal grace period.

If your expired domain has Private Registration enabled, you will not be able to transfer it. Privacy cannot be removed from an expired domain.

You must complete the transfer during its grace period before the domain name falls into "redemption," which is when the domain name begins its transfer back to the registry for someone else to register it. The length of the grace period differs by domain name extension. Most general top-level domain name extensions (gTLDs) like .com and .net have a 42-day grace period between expiration and redemption. Country-code extensions (ccTLDs) like .ca and .jp might have very different grace periods or no grace period at all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back