Dynadot

Transferring Expired Domains from GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just had a very interesting conversation (well to me) with my Account Manager at GoDaddy. He told me there is no impediment to transfer domains out of GoDaddy for up to 30 days after expiry. Yes. You heard that right. You can transfer domains away from GoDaddy up to 30 days after expiry. Although he recommended you did the transfer whilst the domain was still in your account (18 days after expiry). This was news to me. I always thought you couldn't transfer an expired domain at GoDaddy. This would be cheaper than paying their redemption fee :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That doesn't sound completely right, stub. You can transfer out an expired name, yes, but not if the registrar finally deletes it by then.

If Go Daddy's grace period is still 18 days as you said, then one can transfer their expired name from Go Daddy only within that window. Beyond that, and they'll eventually delete it if it's not auctioned by then.

•••
Not true Dave. You can transfer the domain for up to 30 days. After all, it still has your whois details. so as long as GoDaddy don't block it, then it will transfer. My AM is saying they won't block it for up to 30 days (approx the time it goes to auction at GoDaddy). But of course recommends you do it whilst the domain is still in your account (Presumably because you can unlock the domain and get the Auth Code yourself, without requesting it from your AM).

Last edited:
•••
Well, alright. It still doesn't sit with me, but I suppose it's fine as long as Go Daddy indeed allows that.

But of course, it's always best to transfer before expiry. I've transferred a few expired names with success, though not recommended for those not totally familiar with their current registrar's policies.

•••
That doesn't sound completely right, stub. You can transfer out an expired name, yes, but not if the registrar finally deletes it by then.

Exactly. Though all the big name registrars I'm familiar with have grace periods of around three weeks to as long as 42 days. So doing expired transfer outs at the bigger name places is relatively safe (for gTLDs; ccTLDs are a whole different story!), though can be a hassle.

However, anyone thinking of purposely doing an expired transfer out at any of the numerous smaller, less known registrars (especially those that exist solely for drop-catching) do so at great risk...

There are some registrars out there with very short grace periods of only a few days to maybe a week, and to make matters worse, they may not be consistent - they might delete some domains nearly right away while not deleting others for say a month.

Ron

•••
Better be careful. It will not work with all registrar.

I dont suggest it too. Better do it when the domain is active.

•••
I would use caution if doing this. Sounds like a good recipe to lose a domain.

•••
Yep. I'm in the process of testing this out. But it would help in the case where a domain expired and was no longer in your account and you had a change of mind and wanted to renew it. There would be no need to pay the redemption fee.

For me. If the domain is less than 18 days expired (and therefore still in your account), there is no risk, imho.

However, the fact that you can transfer expired domains out of GoDaddy (at all) is news to me. I thought domains needed to be currently registered for a transfer to be successful at GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
OK. I just transferred 2 domains away from GoDaddy which had expired on 12/19 (30 days after expiry) and 12/21 (28 days after expiry). So it can be done.

It wasn't easy though (mostly my own fault). Firstly I always keep my domains locked and in a Preset Profile. There is no way to remove the domain from the Preset Profile in Domains>Recover Expired Domains. I had to ask my Account Manager to do that for me. Secondly the 2 domains were on 60 day hold because I'd changed the Registrant within the last 60 days. I had to ask my Domain Manager to unlock it. And thirdly, the Send Authorisation Code by eMail, almost never works in Domains>Recover Expired Domains. I had to ask my Account Manager for the Auth Codes. On top of all that there was some mis-communication, a weekend, and a days delay between emails with my Account Manager because of the time difference.

Once that was all sorted out, the transfer went without a hitch :) This would have been easier if the domains were still in my account (18 days after expiry), but once all the ducks were lined up, it worked like a charm...

... and no Redemption Fee to pay :)

Last edited:
•••
Good for you, stu. If anything, you outlined the hassles one can have if trying to transfer out an expired name rather than before expiry.

In essence, Go Daddy's so-called grace period is actually still 30 days or so. Just that they'll only give the registrant 18 days to do something to it before they step in.

And don't forget to send your Account Manager some token of thanks, heh. I'd bet they won't normally do that unless you have a "good standing" with them.

•••
I think the most important revelation for me was that you can still transfer away a domain after it has expired, whether it was still in your account or not. I had always thought that once a domain had expired you could not transfer it away. And definitely I thought once the domain had been taken from your account, it was gone until you bought it back in the ensuing auction, or paid the Redemption Fee of $80. This is more generous than they treat a push, which cannot be pushed before it's renewed.

Last edited:
•••
Just a quick update. I just transferred a domain which was in the closeout auctions, 35 days after it expired. I don't recommend you wait that long, but it works, just in case you change your mind about a domain :)

•••
stub,
Do you have an account manager and a separate domain manager to talk on the phone because you have lots of domains with Godaddy? How many domains do you need to have?

I once called them about their 60 day lock and I had to explain a moron what the 60 day lock is. He didn't know there was such a thing and he went away multiple times for a minute to ask somebody every small detail. I would rather lose money and give up domains then having those annoying phone conversations. At the end I couldn't get them unlock the 60 day thing and I ended up waiting 6 weeks for a sedo sale.

•••
I just send my account manager an email. I think you need about 300 domains there to get an account manager. If I didn't have an account manager, I'd just send them a ticket, because I wouldn't waste my time on a long distance phone call, for the reasons you have stated. In the ticket I would mention it's against ICANN policy (just to save you an additional email, if they refuse). I've done that before when my account manager was on vacation. Always be polite.

As you know, I'm one of the few people who actually likes the GoDaddy control panel. It's only the checkout that actually sucks, imho. But I'm transferring my domains to Dynadot because of the tricks GoDaddy play with the whois lookups. It plays havoc with my own Domain Manager, DomainPunch.com, when GoDaddy's whois ban kicks in. Dynadot give me 5000 whois lookups a day, which is more than I need. Dynadot checkout is also too long, but they tell me they're working on it.

PS: I need much less domains than I actually have :)

Last edited:
•••
Just another update. I just transferred an expired domain which was expired for 39 days, and been through the auction process. Somebody had actually won the domain at auction. So GoDaddy is the same as Dynadot. You can still transfer the domain after it has been through the auction process. I guess they take these ICANN rules literally, and you can transfer the domain right up to the 45th day after expiry, irrespective of the auction outcome. For sure at GoDaddy, if you win a domain, you have to wait until the 45th day before you can, get it into your account. Before that it still belongs to the original owner, who can renew it (with redemption fee) or transfer it away (without redemption fee).

Last edited:
•••
You sure love taking risks, stu. Heh.

•••
He is just evaluating his domains.

You know, let them expire, some get them to radar because of expiration date and he get some valuation based on bids / close amount.

;)

•••
Yep, well it obviously it's for a domain I was going to drop and then had a change of heart. I don't think I'd do this for my more important domains :) You never know when GoDaddy might change their minds :(

So I chose the latter (without redemption fee) solution. I think I've stumbled upon something though for those domains I drop which get a tons of bids. I wish I had known this trick earlier.

•••
stub,
it looks like you also transferred out a domain within 60 days after you changed the info, I thought godaddy 60 days is restricted.

•••
Actually there is no 60 day rule at GoDaddy. Well it's half a rule. GoDaddy will comply with ICANN rules and waive this 60 day hold on Registrant Change. You only have to ask them, and they will remove this 60 day hold. Luckily all my changes have now passed the 60 day mark, so I don't have to ask GoDaddy now :)

•••
OK. I now know at which point GoDaddy will no longer allow you to transfer an expired domain out. After they have sent you their Cancellation Confirmation on day 42, you can no longer transfer a domain out.

•••
OK. I now know at which point GoDaddy will no longer allow you to transfer an expired domain out. After they have sent you their Cancellation Confirmation on day 42, you can no longer transfer a domain out.

I venture that's the day they officially cancel and delete the expired domain from their system.

•••
I think that's day 45 Dave. Day 45 is the date they delete the domain from their records.

•••
Hi Pro's

I just have 1 domain with godaddy due renewal on 1/27 and missed it.(almost a month)
how can i avoid the redemption fee now?
i can see it is listed in godaddy auctions page as sale type : Expiring Auction
can i join Go Daddy Auctions($4.99/yr) and get it from auction(which is listed for 10$ there?)
or any other alternatives?
is there any risk on using the same go daddy account(where i had the expired domain earlier)
fyi.i do have the auth code with me on the email
sorry i am a noob on this ..thanks in advance for any advise

•••
This is a 2 year old thread. But as an update, you can transfer out any expired domain up to 45 days after expiry, at GoDaddy. You just need to unlock the domain and get the auth code. Then transfer it to your favorite registrar. I'm not sure if transferring to yourself at GoDaddy would work. Please let us know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back