Dynadot

question Trademark question

NameSilo
Watch

Jak Blak

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,
I’m just starting out. Without doing any research (I watched a video on youtube), I bought a domain to see if I could get ROI. I paid .99. Let’s say that I bought Toyota of Jacksonville. There is a big Toyota dealer in Jacksonville - Smith Toyota, And other Toyota dealers in the area, but no exact name matches. Since I am not Toyota nor a Toyota dealer, and I am guessing Toyota is trademarked, can I legally try to sell this domain to Toyota dealers? Or am I asking to get sued? Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Read - This question has been asked here 1075 times.
Why do you expect people to read for you?
You can buy and sell any car name that are not in business - not Toyota.

•••
Read - This question has been asked here 1075 times.
Why do you expect people to read for you?
You can buy and sell any car name that are not in business - not Toyota.
Thank you

•••
Hi all,
I’m just starting out. Without doing any research (I watched a video on youtube), I bought a domain to see if I could get ROI. I paid .99. Let’s say that I bought Toyota of Jacksonville. There is a big Toyota dealer in Jacksonville - Smith Toyota, And other Toyota dealers in the area, but no exact name matches. Since I am not Toyota nor a Toyota dealer, and I am guessing Toyota is trademarked, can I legally try to sell this domain to Toyota dealers? Or am I asking to get sued? Thank you.

Don't even go there, If you contact a company per say like Apple, and try to sell them IPOD???.com , they will thrash you, the repercussions of what could happen are wicked bad.

•••
Don't even go there, If you contact a company per say like Apple, and try to sell them IPOD???.com , they will thrash you, the repercussions of what could happen are wicked bad.
Thank you

•••
Welcome to Namepros, and thanks for asking and educating yourself.

If you want to check worldwide trademarks, use the WIPO tool here. It gives you live, dead, and pending trademarks for all countries in the world (or most of them). Just type the word or phrase in the 'text' box and hit enter. ***After each search, you have to delete the current search term, or it gets added to the next search and skews the results :)

Good luck, happy domaining

•••
Thanks for being so welcoming and for the link!

•••
Theres a lot to TM's. Research is needed, but here's a quick example. Hypothetically if you owned Apple.com you could not sell computers or mobile phones, etc....However, you could sell apples. With the term Toyota the options are less because the name is not generic. With that said, Nissan.com is a classic domain case study. Again, with TM's all cases are unique and multiple factors play in to determining what is legal.

Best of luck to you and continue asking questions.

•••
•••
But, I’m not trying to sell Apple products or Nissans, just a Nissan domain to sellers of Nissans. Which is probably still a no-go, because I am not affiliated with Nissan. Correct?

•••
But, I’m not trying to sell Apple products or Nissans, just a Nissan domain to sellers of Nissans. Which is probably still a no-go, because I am not affiliated with Nissan. Correct?
Correct. No go.

•••
•••
•••
I own Hyundai in the app extension.
Hyundai is a trademark but in English it translates to innovation - modernity. That being said, I can develop any innovation site I want on this domain as far as I dont sale hyundai cars or try to represent the car's industry. Is that correct?
However, if they contact me trying to buy the domain then I think it's something different. I can sell it or keep it because it's my property. Am I wrong?

•••
I love when it gets deeper into a thread, like this one, & rather than paying attention - you would rather play am I smarter than a lawyer.

I wonder what Google translates into in some other language spoken in some other part of the world. Try a Google .app or any other extension and lrt us know how that goes too.

•••
Hyundai is a trademark but in English it translates to innovation - modernity. That being said, I can develop any innovation site I want on this domain as far as I dont sale hyundai cars or try to represent the car's industry. Is that correct?
However, if they contact me trying to buy the domain then I think it's something different. I can sell it or keep it because it's my property. Am I wrong?
You may have a case for legitimate use. Clearly you can't use it for car related content, but if your intentions and content is based on its translation, it may be fair use.

This is not legal advice. Just going over the basics. Remember, legal opinions can vary and often lawyers argue in court. So not every lawyer is right all of the time.

•••
Motor vehicles is one part of Hyundai -- they’re a huge industrial conglomerate heavily into real estate, construction, energy, manufacturing, trading, investment, finance, retail, etc. You name it, they do it. Good luck sharing their name and innovating in a space they don’t operate in. It’s not too late to hand reg modernity dot tld.

•••
HAHA! We are 100% on the same page:

Remember, legal opinions can vary and often lawyers argue in court. So not every lawyer is right all of the time.

& like I said: "you would rather play am I smarter than a lawyer."

It's not a game worth playing, & they get paid to play even if they lose.

•••
HAHA! We are 100% on the same page:

& like I said: "you would rather play am I smarter than a lawyer."

It's not a game worth playing, & they get paid to play even if they lose.
Well, I have happen to beat the largest law firm with a UDRP. Although, to your point, no, I am not playing smarter than a lawyer, just not playing judge as you are.

•••

Thanks for the reading material. Glad I’m not losing very much on this venture. It was a good introduction to what could be an interesting hobby / side gig. Thanks again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back