Dynadot

.com $500 in 10 min - quick flip

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bikini Tara

Restricted (Market)
Impact
Been a while since I've posted any sales, but plenty of ppl ask me for inspiration, so here's a short story to kick off the New Year..

I hand-registered [TOYOTA] [INDY] [DOT] [COM] via godaddy on Dec 5, then sold it to a family-owned auto dealer, Ed Martin Automotive Group (EdMartin DOT com) for $500 on Dec 6. No-brainer for any Indiana-based Toyota dealer. Sure, I could've gotten more, but contacting a lot of people doesn't interest me. When I have a stellar domain, the technique sells itself.

The time it took me to get the owner's contact info, send a quick email + text, initiate the account change, then draft/send my PayPal invoice: no more than 10 minutes. I would've been paid just minutes after I reached out to them, however, it was very late in the evening(great tactic for me), so the domain was transferred and the invoice was paid first thing the next morning by the office staff.

As always, I bought some lingerie to celebrate my domain sale. There's nothing quite like sitting around on my ipad, selling domains, wearing nothing but a pair of panties under a nice thick throw blanket. Really soothes my soul in ways you wouldn't imagine.:-P

To much success this 2018 domainers!!! #thinkBIG(y)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Michael Ehrhardt

The same would have been true if she had registered the name and started a website selling automobile accessories. However, if she had used the name to build a site promoting independent music artists... likely no TM issue.

No. A local dealership can have a local domain name. It is not that hard to understand. She did not actually sell it to the company, but to a local dealership.

•••
"As always, I bought some lingerie to celebrate my domain sale. There's nothing quite like sitting around on my ipad, selling domains, wearing nothing but a pair of panties under a nice thick throw blanket. Really soothes my soul in ways you wouldn't imagine.:-P
"

I dont understand this paragraph.....I never did so when I sold my names.
Whats the problem with Tara's expression Omelet?

•••
It is one of the fastest sale or turn-around I have heard of. Congrats!

•••
•••
•••
Who invented the Trademark ?
Who decide to get a Trademark ?
I do not accept a Trademark !

•••
The legal knowledge on this thread is mind-blowing!!

•••
I was going to say something but I do not remember now...:xf.love:

•••
Great sale. TM can be tricky like they say, but hey everyone wins. BTW, how many marriage proposals do get per posting? Just curious. Nice work.

•••
Thought I'd share a quick story on this one, I registered a similar domain just the different company a while back (maybe 3-4 months). After I realized my mistake I tried to chin up and emailed the concerned TM holders to take away domain for free.

They replied thanks but we don't want it at this moment and I just moved on. Couple of days back thought about cashing out the name and guess what a local dealership (similar in nature) replied back saying its a fair price for the name and right now it is in Escrow.

Although as a general rule of thumb we should stay away from TMs but what if the TM holder don't care at all?

They didn't want the domain for free and I'd net like maybe $270 on it, if all goes well.

By no means, I want to encourage this behavior, I merely wanted to narrate a similar first hand experience with domains like these.

•••
Apparently apple doesent owm ios.com which existed before apple. Should IOS sue apple for their tm?

•••
Although as a general rule of thumb we should stay away from TMs but what if the TM holder don't care at all?
How do you know they don't care at all ? Even the most aggressive TM holders have to prioritize cases, they can't sue or UDRP all infringements at the same time.

•••
How do you know they don't care at all ? Even the most aggressive TM holders have to prioritize cases, they can't sue or UDRP all infringements at the same time.

I implied they do not care because I specifically emailed people in charge or rather department who looks after domains for dealerships within that company.

Acknowledging my mistake and intent to push/transfer the domain to their account free of cost to which they said they weren't interested but appreciate my honesty.

IMO they do take it seriously but only 1) When someone complains to them about a particular incident. 2) It is of significance in term of value.

The only excuse besides not to keen could be they misinterpreted the email and may have thought there would be costs attached to it.

•••
@Michael Ehrhardt

After all this you still cant grasp TMs...Im sure CK is a TM (havent checked), Calvin Klein is too when it comes to their industry...its that simple...dont register company names, it really is not hard to understand this

It doesnt mamatter where the word Toyota originated from..you cant sell names with it in when its related to cars

Its like saying Apple is a fruit so I can register AppleComputers.com...you can't and this is basic common sense that most newbies seem to understand

Try register AppleKeyword KiaKeyword and approach Apple or Kia with it..feel free to let us know us that goes for you...I can assure you that you wont do it because you know exactly what would happen 😉 You are just trying to show everyone that you can do what you want and nothing bothers you when know damn well you wont do it.

I can't resist to jump in. The TM could be quite ridiculous. What would happen if you register AppleKia.com etc.? Who will go after you, Kia or Apple? :)

•••
I can't resist to jump in. The TM could be quite ridiculous. What would happen if you register AppleKia.com etc.? Who will go after you, Kia or Apple? :)

As with all TMs, it depends on how you're trying to profit from the name. Sell anything to do with cars, and Kia will go after you. Sell anything to do with mobile/computer technology and Apple will. Try to sell the domain to either of them and.... well you get the issue.

•••
What about AppleAndPear.com or AppleTeam.com ? Same TM issue?
I just can't swallow the fact that apple has TM on the name. It's crazy or in this case acceptable?
BTW: I am NOT registering or have any of these domains.

•••
I just can't swallow the fact that apple has TM on the name. It's crazy or in this case acceptable?

The TM only applies for certain types of goods and services. It's absolutely acceptable. The whole reason we associate the word Apple with technology is because of the decades of money and work that they've sunk into their products and services. Anyone who tries to profit by selling technology with the name Apple on it is trying to profit from the work they did, and is misrepresenting themselves and their products.

You can sell any other type of goods called Apple, as long as there is no TM on those types of products.

•••
The TM only applies for certain types of goods and services. It's absolutely acceptable. The whole reason we associate the word Apple with technology is because of the decades of money and work that they've sunk into their products and services. Anyone who tries to profit by selling technology with the name Apple on it is trying to profit from the work they did, and is misrepresenting themselves and their products.

You can sell any other type of goods called Apple, as long as there is no TM on those types of products.

Thanks for your time and explanation.
I think that I might be in trouble then with 2 domains I have ;)
SkodaTeam.com and SkodaRacing.com (Skoda is a Czech car)

Could use them to setup forum, portal or car racing team?
What instance I will be in trouble with TM?

Sorry to be a pest, but you seem to have the right answers ;)

TIA

•••
Yeah, SkodaRacing is one that you might want to delete if you're able. If you plan to keep it, I would refrain from even parking the name.

SkodaTeam is a bit more generic, but I think the issue here is that "skoda" doesn't seem to be a commonly used word outside of the car company. So what other reason could you have for registering the name?

Either way, I think you're fine if you don't try to sell them to the company or use them to try to profit from anything car related. I'm definitely not an expert though! Not even close. I only have a very basic understanding from the reading I've done and from the advice of more seasoned members on here. If you really need to be sure, the best thing is always to consult a TM lawyer.

•••
Thanks again buddy, one way or another I am probably in trouble.
I was going to offer them for sale in the car related industry. Someone who is racing Skoda etc. Have to think about it now ;) or start my own Skoda Racing Team :)

•••
they do not own apples.com, just apple.com.

•••
Thanks for your time and explanation.
I think that I might be in trouble then with 2 domains I have ;)
SkodaTeam.com and SkodaRacing.com (Skoda is a Czech car)

Could use them to setup forum, portal or car racing team?
What instance I will be in trouble with TM?

Sorry to be a pest, but you seem to have the right answers ;)

TIA
I am not sure if they have a similar law there as they do in America. Research it first.

•••
If a tech entrepreneur wants a specific domain but it has a trademark on it owned by someone else etc

The seed funded entrepreneur will want both irrespective of price to own both domain and trademark etc

So that any current owner of either won't own either if the domain is good and dot com

So previous trademark disputes will have been completely pointless and a complete waste of time and money

That said check for trademark 's

•••
I was looking up a guys name on namesilo just now, and his name without the middle initial is forsale there for 999, he uses the name with the middle initial, and then I searched for the last name, and it showed me a name of a product/trademark, a 3 word phrase for 950 for the domain name. I googled it, and the first result was for the justia page for the term that they had trademarked it. The owner of the name had it going to a buy it now page.

https://trademarks.justia.com/875/82/peterson-pulse-87582311.html

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back