NameSilo

Trademark issue or not?

Located in Legal Discussion, started by Rana1863, Jan 3, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. Rana1863

Rana1863 Established Member

Hello Everyone,

I own a domain about which I just recently discovered a website who owns .de and .com of it. Website is in German and dot com is redirected to the German site. It's a social or perhaps chat site and domain name is their registered name. Does this mean I can't use the domain name I have? I literately have no idea what rights a trademarks or registered name holder have. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. dexdn

dexdn Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

Is your domain ccTLD?

3. TheBaldOne

TheBaldOne Top Contributor VIP Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Is the domain name also a Trade Mark?

Just because someone owns and runs a website with a specific domain does not mean they may have a Trrade Mark, in fact few do. Just because a name is 'registered' does not give them a Trade Mark either. Also if they do have a Trade Mark then what does it cover?

4. Wannabean

Wannabean Top Contributor VIP

If there is a trademark on the name you cannot use it in the same way as the trademark holder. If they're using it for chat and have a trademark you can't use the name in that way. In fact i'd stay away from any similar uses.

For example it is perfectly ok for me to start a business and call it ford, as long as I'm not doing anything related to cars.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice