IT.COM

Time to invest .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
After google decision is it worth investing in xyz extension? Will it's value increase?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@mad409, you sold the/your domain name on your own domain name auction website? How did you spread awareness about the name to get potential/qualified bidders?

You're correct, it's my site, newly relaunched but I'd like to point out I built this site for you the domainer and not just for me to sell domains.

With that being said I advertise the site on Websites, banners ads, Google and other PPC sites to help the auctions. With the Wines auction I also posted it on several classified ad sites, domaining.com, where ever I could and also linking directly to the auction itself. I also go to where the domain name is registered and forward the domain to the active auction running.

Another source, free is Craig's list, free to post your auction under business etc.. Link to your auction.

I think I also posted it in a wine forum that allowed me to do so but you always must be careful not to break a sites T & C's when doing that. So if you have an auction running within a certain category such as wine related look for forums that will allow you to list the auction.

My downside is that I'm not on Twitter, or Facebook but many auction sites have links to promote your auction, we do. I need to get more social! :D

In short you just have to get creative and never count solely on the auction site itself and promote promote promote what you're selling. If it's a great name such as wines it's worth even spending a little to promote..

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
•••
@mad409, thanks for the in-depth response, very practical to say the least :P Good success on both your website and the sale, the owner of the name should be happy for such a deal.

•••
•••
Ok, I took a look at it and a few questions. Is that ebay auction software? I noticed ebay graphics on the site, power seller, buy now. Was looking for something for a site, didn't know if they had something available.

http://wines.xyz/

Did you get paid yet or just sold at this point? I noticed the winner or at least the same nickname is suspended at Flippa

Was a little confused at the setup. Says Current Bid -
Current Bid 2,500.00 US

But then closed at $7,500. Seller is a Power Seller with 0 Sales?

It would be the 2nd or 3rd biggest .xyz sale (reported)

I share the above opinion. Honestly it appears as shill bidding/ fake sale to me. This was my immediate thought when you shared info about the sale. Sorry @mad409 maybe you wanted to promote your marketplace.

•••
It looked shady, no doubt about it, but time will reveal if it was or not.

•••
In @mad409 defence (not that he needs defence), I have personally seen ads and banners on different domain related sites for some of the auctions that were taking place on his auction site.
Most notably was the one that came directly to my email from "Domaining.com". I made mention of it a few weeks back on a different thread.

I am just pointing out a few facts that I have personally witnessed.

Cheers

•••
:
NEW 11,950
REMOVED 3,995
TRANSFER 2,881
GAIN/ LOST (Positive) 7,955

jump from 400 on Monday, to : 7,955 ...on Tuesday..

I warned : Its not time for sale.

yup also today too, a lot of regs.

•••
•••
I share the above opinion. Honestly it appears as shill bidding/ fake sale to me. This was my immediate thought when you shared info about the sale. Sorry @mad409 maybe you wanted to promote your marketplace.

All I can say is you're not correct.

•••
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and believe him, but as for the actual domain name itself, it is not outrageous that it would sell for that price.

Not really...read the above comments.

The spammers? That's okay IMO, I still think it does more good than harm at the end of the day, word gets out that the extension exists. ;) I think it just makes keyword names just that more rarer.

•••
Reality check for "ALL" new gtlds.

If ANYONE is familiar with advertising or marketing, they should know how much $$$ it would take to bring the new gtlds into the "mass media" (television, radio etc) to get those new extensions on the tips of the tongues or subconsciously ingrained into the minds of end users. It is going to take "BILLIONS" and time.

And worst off, if your name doesn't even have a purpose or sound natural, just buying one because it's "available" may be a futile mission.

That being said, the following domains were acquired with the intent of "making sense" being paired with a new gtld. These were purchased prior to Googles ABC/xyz news.

ineed(.)xyz
ineedto(.)xyz
lookfor(.)xyz
lookingfor(.)xyz
searchfor(.)xyz
shopfor(.)xyz
weneed(.)xyz

They may or may not be coveted "one word" domains, but from an English speaking standpoint, they make sense. I can afford to hold on to these forever or until the world catches up after the billions are spent. ;)

These are my opinions and yours may vary... and that's ok.

Regards,

WPM

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
I dont know the reason, but regs are from all countries(except few)

•••
I dont know the reason, but regs are from all countries(except few)

Yesterday I caught at least three premium key, I did not expect such luck, so, good hunting

•••
I caught 1 generic business term where the dotcom is worth over $200k according to estibot.
Here's hoping we all get lucky with xyz

•••
.xyz ad
xyzzzzz.png

•••
It's risky to sell domain names on ebay, be careful. Paypal is a Devil!
7K wow

•••
the "demand" you speak of probably comes from spammers buying the $1 xyz names like crazy from Namecheap in bulk to use for spam purposes... not for any kind of investment purpose or end user demand.

Another example is .win which also has domains for $1 (to sucker people in for much higher renewal costs). I think we're up to 250,000 .win domains and counting now in something like 1 month.

There's a good demand of premium .XYZ in China and from all Around the world.
With Google, FaceBook + a good amount of startups using .XYZ, the price can only go up! :)

•••
The most ugly extension of all existented

•••
The most ugly extension of all existented
To me, .XYZ is in the top five of coolest NewGTLDs.
.XYZ
.Tech
.Surf
.Link
.Site

My top Worst NewGTLDs
Dot ooo
Dot whoswho
Dot boo
Dot aaa
Dot forsale
Dot healthcare
Dot foundation
Dot lighting

•••
I forgot to add IMHO.
I dont know if it is because of language or it is only my imagination, but I always see .xyz as "хз".
If there are some russian speaking guy, they will understand me :)
I cant look at domains with this extension and dont smile.

•••
I forgot to add IMHO.
I dont know if it is because of language or it is only my imagination, but I always see .xyz as "хз".
If there are some russian speaking guy, they will understand me :)
I cant look at domains with this extension and dont smile.

haha! I get it.

It's similar for me when I see .gripe. Looks like Grippe in French (FLU)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back