Dynadot

advice This Person Really Doesn’t Like Domainers – How Would You Respond?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Even though the domain name industry can be extremely lucrative and very interesting to be involved with, some people really don't like domainers.

I ran across an interesting comment on one of our videos and wanted to share it with you.

How do you feel about this persons view of "domainers"?

Read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domaining is considered a shady business for most people outside of domaining. Many domainers have helped contribute to this perception. So, there is no need to get bent out of shape every time someone says something less than flattering about the domaining industry.

Last edited:
•••
Domains are more or less unlimited. If buyers don't want to pay a premium, they can just get a lower quality name and make a website. Domainers aren't stopping anyone from building a site.

Agreed.

No.problem. everyone have own ways of understanding..

Yes.

So, there is no need to get bent out of shape every time someone says something less than flattering about the domaining industry.

Not getting bent out of shape at all. Just wanted to hear others opinions on it. =)

•••
I would not bother with a person like this. It is not because he does not like domainers (he can surely have his opinion on domaining, it is not a problem) but it is the way how he presented that which is problematic..too many f* words on my taste.

It is also 99% chance considering the way he presented himself he has no significant money at all to buy some good domain- so why to even really bother?:)

•••
•••
•••
I was actually thinking about offering this option for some of my domains. Has it worked out for you?

I just offer payment plans because options are good and anything you can do to turn a maybe into a yes helps and escrow services offer them...

https://escrow.payoneer.com/blog/new-options-for-domain-sellers-domain-holding-orders

My prices might be different though...
Price A - One upfront payment
Price B - Lease To Own price based on how many months they need to complete the purchase, few months no biggie, long term little finance charge doesn't hurt for the delay in payment

With that said I've only done a couple in 14 years as most buyers would rather find their own financing as I think if you intend to launch a major site you might get nervous making payments without having the domain sitting in your account smiling at ya, using a licensed escrow service helps but I still think a little fear, I still promote that the majority of my inventory has a payment plan option though as I think this option will slowly increase in usage as time goes on, if not doesn't cost me anything to promote it as an option and more options doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
•••
Domains are more or less unlimited
While I don't agree with the Scalpers analogy, this statement is also inaccurate. A particular domain is, in fact, even more limited than concert tickets as there's exactly one of each domain (including the TLD).

An analogy to your analogy (concerts, scalpers and limited tickets) would be - if a particular concert is sold out and a scalper is asking 100's or 1000's of $$$s for the ticket, go to another concert. There are hundreds of other concerts (big and small, by artists known and unknown). But of course, you want to go to that one specific concert and hence have to bow down to the asking price of the scalper

•••
My prices might be different though...
Price A - One upfront payment
Price B - Lease To Own price based on how many months they need to complete the purchase, few months no biggie, long term little finance charge doesn't hurt for the delay in payment

With that said I've only done a couple in 14 years as most buyers would rather find their own financing as I think if you intend to launch a major site you might get nervous making payments without having the domain sitting in your account smiling at ya, using a licensed escrow service helps but I still think a little fear, I still promote that the majority of my inventory has a payment plan option though as I think this option will slowly increase in usage as time goes on, if not doesn't cost me anything to promote it as an option and more options doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll be testing this our heavily this year when a buyer is interested but having some doubts or w.e the case may be. Super interesting to me!

•••
While I don't agree with the Scalpers analogy, this statement is also inaccurate. A particular domain is, in fact, even more limited than concert tickets as there's exactly one of each domain (including the TLD).

An analogy to your analogy (concerts, scalpers and limited tickets) would be - if a particular concert is sold out and a scalper is asking 100's or 1000's of $$$s for the ticket, go to another concert. There are hundreds of other concerts (big and small, by artists known and unknown). But of course, you want to go to that one specific concert and hence have to bow down to the asking price of the scalper

Absolutely not.

Sorry, I get what you're trying to say here, but the logic is faulty. The ticket gets you access to a concert. A domain gets you access to website ownership. If you can't afford the former, you cannot partake in the latter.

Going to a different concert is like creating a Facebook page instead of my own website. However, using a different (cheaper) domain than the one I want is like sitting in a crappier seat at the concert I want to attend. I can still do what I want to do, and for the price I want, but it won't be as good.

The specific domain you want is limited, yes (unique, actually), but your options are very much unlimited. If I can't have ABC Plumbing, I can register ABCplumbingcompany.com or ABCplaumbing123.com.

Scalpers' high prices can stop you from attending an event entirely. No domainer in the world can stop you from building the website you want to build on a $10 domain.

•••
If people would've pay taxes doing this, there wouldn't be a lot of domainers out there. Imagine you receive 5000$ via paypal and you withdraw them to your bank account, except the tax that you pay to paypal for withdrawing, that is it, you do not pay anything else.

•••
I am not a domainer, just very slow at building websites on my domains, I built one once and had to scrap it , I am just real slow 10, years and not one is finished yet, may take me another 10 or 20 years , but if you would like to buy one of my names I might consider selling.

•••
Many feel the same on multiple home owners and their rent.
If the f bomb comes out as first argument then know dealing with a debating champion.

Last edited:
•••
If people would've pay taxes doing this, there wouldn't be a lot of domainers out there. Imagine you receive 5000$ via paypal and you withdraw them to your bank account, except the tax that you pay to paypal for withdrawing, that is it, you do not pay anything else.

Not to sure about everyone else but I've paid taxes from the income of domains. I am sure many others do as well.

I am not a domainer, just very slow at building websites on my domains, I built one once and had to scrap it , I am just real slow 10, years and not one is finished yet, may take me another 10 or 20 years , but if you would like to buy one of my names I might consider selling.

That's cool. It's your internet property and you have the right to sell or hold.

If the f bomb comes out as first argument then know dealing with a debating champion.

Good point.

•••
I worry not at all. Omar, tell that one Anything valuable get picked up and this apply to every commodity of value. If needs it he needs he has to pay me what I want or fvck off.

•••
I really don't like Domainers... Many domainers price their domains with ridiculous prices.

•••
I really don't like Domainers... Many domainers price their domains with ridiculous prices.

I agree that some Domainers price names that have no value at all with crazy prices. But within the industry there are many of us who treat it like a business and price them fairly based on the value of that specific domain.

The way the guy reacted in Omar's post makes me laugh. It is like going to a store and complaining why you have to pay certain higher prices for the items when they were made or acquired for a lot cheaper. :D

That is the essence of building a business and making a profit on valuable merchandise.

- Will

•••

I get that but also I don't think its a reason to not "like" someone. Everyone feels differently on the values of their domains even if we may not agree with them.

-Omar

•••
With the choice of words that he wishes to express himself, I see it as a lucid case of psychopathic disorder. Advise that guy to see a psychiatrist. :)

•••
I had a guy get so mad when I quoted the price for my .com, that he threatened to register the domain in a new gtld and he did it.

I wished him the best and told him I hope his site becomes super popular. :)

•••
I was on the receiving end of that sort of ire the other day - I inquired to buy a ccTLD domain, and offered a price that seemed fair (xxxx) in comparison to other domains of the same ilk. He claimed he had paid mid-xxxxx (which is patently ridiculous to begin with), I said no way I can convince the (possible) client to part with that amount. He got extremely irate and insulting, that "they" should be able to afford it, they can afford it, and got pretty abusive on a personal level. Quite crazy.
Needless to say, he's still sitting on the domain, instead of a small but sweet wad of cash.

I short and firm "no thanks" would have sufficed, I'd say.
Anyway, I might have learned a thing or two anyway..

•••
I think it's called Capitalism. Domainers are capitalizing on the fact that no one else bought the domains they hold first! Way to go! We are helping keep our way of life strong!

•••
Price billboard advertising on a popular highway for 1 month. Price magazine advertising. Etc...

Companies toss many thousands away for one and done purchases. So I actually think if a premium .com it's well worth it as that purchase continues to give month after month year after year so not really expensive if you plan to be in business for many years as after that big fee your only looking at $8 a year so when ya break the price down into 5,10,20 years or however long they intend to be in business not so bad. If ya sell a good domain for too cheap odds are you can't replace that in your inventory for the same price so over time you make sales but your portfolio quality continues to decrease. Most of my sales are in the 4-5 figure range with a small fraction below and above that range but the lowest I sell any domain is high xxx. If I don't think a company would pay high xxx or above I try not to own it.

Last edited:
•••
I had a guy get so mad when I quoted the price for my .com, that he threatened to register the domain in a new gtld and he did it.

I wished him the best and told him I hope his site becomes super popular. :)

I would have finished your quote, I hope your site gets super popular because I am guaranteed to get half your traffic to my dot com without spending a penny for adds.

•••
Even though the domain name industry can be extremely lucrative and very interesting to be involved with, some people really don't like domainers.

I ran across an interesting comment on one of our videos and wanted to share it with you.

How do you feel about this persons view of "domainers"?

Read more
Omar I am surprised to see you here, will you continue your youtube videos with your friend Will?

•••
Omar I am surprised to see you here, will you continue your youtube videos with your friend Will?

Surprised? Why? I'm always here! lol..

And yes, we still do youtube vids. Not the same as the car vids but working on a few different types. More coming in the near future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back