IT.COM

There's no money in domain names... this industry full of bullsh*t.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
there's no money in domain names.. this industry full of bullsh*t.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As others have suggested in this thread, domaining isn't a simple or quick way to make money.
There is a huge volume of public information and sales data available, and it can become confusing.

Not all of the information is created equal and so we must make a constant effort to separate signal from noise. This is also true of almost every investment industry - equities, forex, crypto, etc. It's also useful to digest knowledge through your own lens and apply things in a way that fits you as an individual, whilst understand/avoiding the internal biases that affect every investor.

There are many varied routes to profit in domaining. Whilst some doors have closed over the years (such as hand-regging killer one word .coms), other doors have opened. You can discover potential opportunities by reading, speaking to others, and analysing data from sales threads / namebio.
You can then validate your discoveries through your own investments.

Having said all of that, I fully empthaise with your situation. I had years of losses and almost gave up multiple times. I'd love to take full credit for the journey but I'm open to admitting that I've got lucky numerous times and this has given me some momentum.
As domainers, our primary goal is to find domains that we think are undervalued, buy them and then resell them for profit. Easier said than done, because it takes time to understand what 'value' looks like. Even once you think you know, it's still possible to get it wrong. The learning curve is steep and can quickly consume time, money and emotional energy. Luck obviously plays a huge part - but your applied knowledge enhances the probability that positive outcomes can happen.

This forum is proof that there is a community which is willing to help you find your own path - as long as you're being positive, polite and asking the right questions. Nobody has the perfect answers, because there aren't any. On occasion, the advice/feedback of others might not look right to you - and that's ok. Listen, filter, tweak your own decision framework and keep moving onwards.

I try to share my experiences here openly - with high transparency and without agenda. I apologise if I've done or said anything to indicate otherwise. I always try to provide context alongside my sales posts, so that readers can understand that there is no magic or secret sauce. I can confirm that I have no affiliation with any registrar or registry. I have no mission or goals to coax anyone into doing anything. The only hat I have is made of wool and it keeps my head warm in the winter ;)

you hit the nail on the head... there is no magical formula. just a lot of learning from your own mistakes... I have not been doing this for long either, and am still recovering from the learning curve and mistakes I made when I started. but with perseverence, patience and time.. it became very clear to me what all those mistakes were, how to remedy them and how not to repeat them. once you are able to look at yoru progress from a distance, and see it going in positive forward direction, it's only a matter of time imo, before you compensate for past errors and losses with some positive choices and moves, and as result some profits down the road.

obviously, unless you truly do want to stop domaining, complaining about the industry or your own progress, is not productive, and will not push you in the right direction. it is in fact, nothing more than a waste of time. for you and others.

jmo

all the best.

Last edited:
•••
If you wait long enough, maybe a .grapes TLD will be released one day.
And then you can register that 4-letter word that describes your state of mind :)

•••
I agree with OP to some extent. There is no market (in my opinion) but other domainers :)

Try to imagine you are a startupper, have very limited funding... Would you waste real money on some "premium" .com? I don't mean $xxx - low $xxxx. I'd rather spend on adverts or so...

Yes, without a doubt. There are few better one time investments a company can make than a quality domain name.

You don't need a massive budget to buy a quality memorable domain. It is better to get your company started on the right foot than to play catch-up later.

Brad

•••
The Thumb Rule is TripleP - PPP

Patience
Perseverance
Persistence

😊

•••
•••

Any company that sells a bad product will fail sooner or later. Same applies to domain names.

If you are trying to sell unsellable products (domains) who's to blame? You or the industry.

•••
Thank you friends for your support.

•••
80:20 rule

80% of the business is done by 20% of domainers.
Nowadays, it's more like 90% of business is done by 10% of domainers. Domaining is increasing being dominated by big companies like Hugedomains.com.

•••
Cut your losses and move on. If you're in search of capital you do whatever it takes. Never ever make excuses for your personal failure

It's a question of attitude first.

Last edited:
•••
I could be richer but I keep declining $xx,xxx and $x,xxx offers on sub $100 acquisitions :pompous:

•••

Certainly, there is. Otherwise, this domain industry won't be filled with domain investors. There's always money if one is just smart enough on how to deal with it. People think that garbage is useless and worthless but then garbage is a thriving business with many big companies capitalizing on it because there is money. In short, one has to learn the trade with patience and perseverance and be smart. If one finds no money in domain names it only means one thing... he has not yet fully learned the trade well.

•••
I would agree that some reported sales do not appear to be legit domain investor to third party sales - just hype to pump domain registrations or auction activity. It would be interesting to see an estimate of how much domain investors spend collectively on acquisitions and renewals vs end user sales. If you exclude the top 2% of investors i.e. Schwartz, Schilling, Berkens, etc unfortunately I do not believe the industry (excluding registrars and auction platforms) would show a profit.
All the people you mentioned here accumulated the bulk of their portfolio wealth pre 2005.

•••
Sounds like you have a problem with forums, not domaining. If you want to say whatever you want on a forum, go to reddit.

•••
Domaining is obviously very profitable and fun for some, but there is lots of misinformation on this forum.
The appraisal section here is a total nonsense and bs. Nobody here would pay 1% of their own appraisal there. People imagine 'endusers' as some sort of 'alien suckers" who would pay 100 times more for a name that domainer would not renew. There are also people registering insanely bad names and getting likes by others. It encourages them to buy more terrible names and lose money.
You need to use your own judgement and read between the lines. Domaining could be life changing for someone who is ready to work hard.
@ksusha64
giphy.gif

•••
:zippermouth:

There are a few reasons why I'd be a fool to back up my statement (at least not at this time).

In any case, I came here to brag :pompous:

Don't hate me 'cos I'm winning.

#1 Domainer :pirate:
Funny Charlie Sheen use to say the same thing.

Either your bs’ing or trading in TM names, but good on you. Imaginary sales are the best kind, no commissions!

•••
The thing about Bullshit is you have to learn how to market it.

Even bullshit can be sold as fertilizer if you do the job right.

I have sold a lot of fertilizer over the years and am quite happy doing so :xf.smile:

•••
You're just half right Premiums...I agree, this industry is "full of bullsh*t", but there is money in domain names. I've been self employed since college in 1970, but you might even say I was a budding entrepreneur when I was cutting grass and shoveling snow starting in the late 50's. I've been involved either directly or indirectly in most major industries, and the domain industry is without a doubt the most f'uk'd up starting with the "appraisal" piece, and Go Daddy gets a gold star for that.

Having been successful in most (not all) of my lifetime endeavors, I can assure you there is money to be made in domaining. Most fortunes in this world have been made because someone has discovered a better mouse trap, and practical business experience tells me this industry is screaming for a better mouse trap. I see in this thread where NamePro's member creataweb asked if you're related to Bulloney? And I see where about of a dozen of my biggest fans "liked" his post.....i just luv it:xf.grin:

Bulloney

Last edited:
•••
@Premiums

Find a good one word .ai and make your sale - AIblablabla.com is not worth chicken feed

If you haven't read Peter Thiel book Zero to 1 you need to read it immediately > competition is your enemy!

Competing with garbage can .com's or any other extension is most importantly not worth your time or secondly money

The world is littered with excessive amounts of opportunity > Go where nobody else wants to go, in case you didn't hear me the first time competition is your enemy

CrowdCare rebrands as Wysdom.AI, wins $8.5 mln more in VC
https://www.pehub.com/canada/2017/10/crowdcare-rebrands-as/?via=indexdotco

Last edited:
•••
It can feel like that sometimes. Domain investing is not something that most would dedicate the amount of time it takes to make it profitable.

I've been "domaining" for the past 10 years and have gone through tremendous highs as well as equally soul-crushing lows. If it is fun and doesn't ruin your quality of life continue on, if the opposite just find another investment vehicle.

Pretty cut and dry.

•••
there's no money in domain names..

There is money in domain names, 99 % of poor "domainers" (registrants) generating 1 % rich "domainers" (registries / registrars) - so maybe you are just on the wrong end?

Last edited:
•••
@Premiums hold your spirits high buddy.. Not everyday is a Sunday, but when it comes, we get the BOOZE!! You'll get your awesome sale soon. Just keep it kicking!!

Good luck!

•••
@DOMAIN ILLUMINATI don't forget the marketplaces and drop catching services :)

Sure, there is (relative) activityyy

But I can't ignore the "statistical truth" that the domain marketplaces are mainly filled with domain owners / offerers and rarely filled with domain buyers - at least if you have such expensive domains like I have / offer.

It's primarily the marketplace - owner/s who make/s money through the sum of comissions (I assume that is what you meant), the same affects to drop catching services * - they are also professional service.

The whole situation mirrors the saying "You will rather become rich if you sell shovels than to dig for gold."

* BTW I never use/d a drop catching service - there is (naturally) always a "rest risk" that they will decide to take the desired / dropping domain for themselve to offer it much higher then.
I see this "rest risk" higher than the risk that I won't be able to catch the desired / dropping domain by my own, that's why.

Last edited:
•••
i like my $8000 bucks from sold selfiepay.com in my pocket
no more waste for reg service

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back