IT.COM

There's no money in domain names... this industry full of bullsh*t.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
there's no money in domain names.. this industry full of bullsh*t.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

You expect to get support in a domain forum with statements like this?

•••
I agree with you all many parts of this industry are full of it, and people are trying to sell you a hoop dream, or picks and shovels to extract crapola. You are right to a degree.

I can understand your frustration, being able to see how the industry changes year over year, I feel many are overpaying for inventory, which is going to cause more remarks like yours down the road. Deal work enough end users, and you kind of get a feel for what can be expected, and extracted.

To a degree much of this business is like educated gambling, you do need a lot of capital, as companies like huge domains is not leaving much of the way of scraps anymore, and auctions are more aggressive than ever.

You know what there are many other industries out there that might not be as stressful, if you find domaining just doesn’t have it for you, no harm in moving on.

•••
Bought, V + "something" + "friend" on Tuesday for +5usd on GD closeouts.
Sold it on Thursday for 150usd.
I was 95% sure, I would sell it ... fast. I only hold heavyweights, and I rarely do.

1. Sent 6 emails. No reply on the first send.
  2. Sent follow ups, got an offer for 150, took it.
  3. Rinse and repeat.
  4. Scale
I sold it to a reseller, who's probably going to sell it for a lot more! Why did he buy?

Its called pattern recognition. I recognized the pattern, he recognized the pattern.

When you start domaining, your mostly guessing. You might make a few large sales, these are flukes. As, you need to make profit on at least 6 out of 10 moves you make, before you can confidently tell yourself you know this business well enough.

How do you make money out of 6 in 10 moves. You recognize patterns. Most of the time, your divesting from certain patterns as they become popular. The secret is the pattern.

Everything in life is about patterns. Discover the patterns, in software development there are architectural patterns (high level) and design patterns (low level). In domaining, there are reseller patterns and end-user patterns.

Sustainable success in any endeavor takes deliberate effort, continuous learning and diligence.

Last edited:
•••
Try to imagine you are a startupper, have very limited funding... Would you waste real money on some "premium" .com? I don't mean $xxx - low $xxxx. I'd rather spend on adverts or so...
It's not just startups, established companies are domains buyers too. Either to upgrade their existing domain name, for rebranding or to complement their brand names.
A startup that cannot afford to spend 2K on a domain name is not well funded at all. But if they don't want to spend money on a domain it's their choice. Actually, it's often justified not to. There are enough viable names available to be registered.
Few names are selling for 6 figures or more, such sales are not representative at all. Most sales are probably around 2K or in that range.
Good domain names are very affordable. Unless you want the very best of the best but again they represent a tiny segment of the business.
Domainers have to keep expectations reasonable. Don't aim for 6 figures when you own regfee inventory. Be more realistic. Make smaller sales, but repeatedly. And then you reinvest and increase quality of the portfolio.

•••
Are you sure there's no money in domaining? I mean, TakeOnToday.com was sold for $7,499 in 2018-01-13...

•••
There is no money in Domaining, then call the Namebio to take off this stats

Screenshot_2018-02-10-17-05-53-396_com.android.chrome.png

Or You are missing this thing,

IMG_20180210_171053.jpg

Last edited:
•••
You were join on Nov 2016
While my self joined Sep 2008 and still not making the real money yet, but i'm not complaining about it :D

You should hold Persistence and Perseverance deep within your heart and soul :D

•••
NO easy and fast money in domaining - such statement is really correct.

But I agree that the best times for domaining are already in the past.

Last edited:
•••
There's no money in domain names ... then why are you a member of this forum?

•••
Now I need to have a discussion with my accountants. They have been lying to me for so many years.

How many accountants have you got? O_o?

•••
@Kate the voice of reason...I just made $50 profit on domaining yesterday...easy does it.

•••
Bulloney how would you know there is money in domains?

You are just collecting domains at this point. Have you sold any yet? Theoretical sales don't count.

Your post also seems like a way to just spam your domains. You mentioned at least 6 domains you own.

Additionally, Kiwanis is a registered trademark. I assume you have permission from them to use it.

Brad

•••
I bought nearly $10k of domains this week. You have to know what you are doing. Most of you are buying lottery tickets and not digital assets with undeniable value and big potential.

•••
80:20 rule

80% of the business is done by 20% of domainers.

hey thats still way better odds than 1% owning 99% of earths wealth or something like that.. ahahahha

•••
80:20 rule

80% of the business is done by 20% of domainers.
If you are 24/7 walking around forums yes. However, domain forum activity is highly recommended. I hope you get the meaning. Good or bad all the forums are full of resellers who simply want to buy super low and sell high. Still, out there exist many chances. The best scenario is to pick good names with quality and be patient for inbound offers.

Last edited:
•••
I've made my investment back in 3 months... Just buy the right names

•••
The industry is rife with bull%$%$ and is true as how many emails do you have in your in box suggesting you renew a domain with a service provider you never heard of. However those that say there is no money are buying the wrong domains. I turn down offers weekly that you would probably jump at. I also consistently delete poor judgments and move on.

Last edited:
•••
1,000 plus posts since November, imagine if you would have invested that same amount of time studying the market you love the most and finding value to give your customers?

•••
The domains in questions do not have any clear TM, certainly nothing registered. But sure, I do own names with matching TM's. Some of these are TM under common law, maybe a few have registered and active TM's. That does not mean I'm doing anything wrong or unlawful. It means I'm an awesome domainer that doesn't dabble exclusively in pigeon sh*t domains.

I know how the Internet works baby (pics or it didn't happen). But the premise of this thread has nothing to back it up. That's why I came here to gloat :pompous:
You sound like Bikini Tara, timing sounds about right

•••
turtles aren't patient
just slow

spider is patient.

be though as a spider then

or like water... :)))))))))

I swear that the only animal which had in my mind when writing this post was turtle! :)

•••
I'm not showing off the guy is calling the industry a bunch of bs and I was just talkin from my own experience
No no i mean i am not trying to show off by telling my story mate.

Thanks.

•••
I would agree that some reported sales do not appear to be legit domain investor to third party sales - just hype to pump domain registrations or auction activity. It would be interesting to see an estimate of how much domain investors spend collectively on acquisitions and renewals vs end user sales. If you exclude the top 2% of investors i.e. Schwartz, Schilling, Berkens, etc unfortunately I do not believe the industry (excluding registrars and auction platforms) would show a profit.

•••
No, you are pointing your failure towards the entire domain industry.

•••
•••
You were join on Nov 2016
While my self joined Sep 2008 and still not making the real money yet, but i'm not complaining about it :D

You should hold Persistence and Perseverance deep within your heart and soul :D

That is some serious patience.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back