Dynadot

There's no money in domain names... this industry full of bullsh*t.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
there's no money in domain names.. this industry full of bullsh*t.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't take me wrong,

Those who invest on domains like TAKEON.TODAY
Yes there will never be money for them in this industry.

Thanks.

•••

You must be missing the daily sales charts... you must be mad that you're not selling domains.. I'm doing this part time right now last month was $8,000+ in sales

This month only one sale so far of 2k down and they have to pay me 12 months of 666.67 but there's no money in this business right I'm only a guy that started with four hundred bucks

•••
yes there is money.. but there is also (usually) a long and expensive learnign curve for a while.

if u survive it, you will be okay. :)

imo

•••
The opportunity to acquire domain names and sell them for a profit is alive and well. However, there are plenty of "opportunities" out there and domain names might not be the right opportunity for you.

I would love to see your business plan because disappointing results can usually be attributed to mistakes in your calculations or projections or just plain old bad products.

For me, domain investing is business. I treat it very seriously, and for me, I don't feel my business objectives are affected much by what other people say or how other people run their businesses. I simply run a profit...period. My annual sales and revenues exceed my expenses. That ensures the longevity of my domain business. It's that simple for me.

I enjoy the forum for relationships, I enjoy hunting for bargains, and I benefit from the experiences others share. I manage my budget, my websites, my renewals, etc. It's a huge job, but I focus heavily on managing my inventory and making sure it is readily available for potential customers. I also spend a great amount of time reading and researching.

Bottom line is that, without knowing much more about you, your experience, your plan, your objectives, your budget and so on, there is little I or anyone can do to offer assistance.

There will always be winners and always be losers. The losers usually didn't understand the true complexity involved in creating a successful business around domain names. The winners are everyone else.

•••
Domaining is obviously very profitable and fun for some, but there is lots of misinformation on this forum.
The appraisal section here is a total nonsense and bs. Nobody here would pay 1% of their own appraisal there. People imagine 'endusers' as some sort of 'alien suckers" who would pay 100 times more for a name that domainer would not renew. There are also people registering insanely bad names and getting likes by others. It encourages them to buy more terrible names and lose money.
You need to use your own judgement and read between the lines. Domaining could be life changing for someone who is ready to work hard.

Last edited:
•••
80:20 rule

80% of the business is done by 20% of domainers.

•••
i think its just registrar/registry white hat marketing..

It reminds me blackhatworld .com tips and tricks. I call it social engineering ..

As others have suggested in this thread, domaining isn't a simple or quick way to make money.
There is a huge volume of public information and sales data available, and it can become confusing.

Not all of the information is created equal and so we must make a constant effort to separate signal from noise. This is also true of almost every investment industry - equities, forex, crypto, etc. It's also useful to digest knowledge through your own lens and apply things in a way that fits you as an individual, whilst understand/avoiding the internal biases that affect every investor.

There are many varied routes to profit in domaining. Whilst some doors have closed over the years (such as hand-regging killer one word .coms), other doors have opened. You can discover potential opportunities by reading, speaking to others, and analysing data from sales threads / namebio.
You can then validate your discoveries through your own investments.

Having said all of that, I fully empthaise with your situation. I had years of losses and almost gave up multiple times. I'd love to take full credit for the journey but I'm open to admitting that I've got lucky numerous times and this has given me some momentum.
As domainers, our primary goal is to find domains that we think are undervalued, buy them and then resell them for profit. Easier said than done, because it takes time to understand what 'value' looks like. Even once you think you know, it's still possible to get it wrong. The learning curve is steep and can quickly consume time, money and emotional energy. Luck obviously plays a huge part - but your applied knowledge enhances the probability that positive outcomes can happen.

This forum is proof that there is a community which is willing to help you find your own path - as long as you're being positive, polite and asking the right questions. Nobody has the perfect answers, because there aren't any. On occasion, the advice/feedback of others might not look right to you - and that's ok. Listen, filter, tweak your own decision framework and keep moving onwards.

I try to share my experiences here openly - with high transparency and without agenda. I apologise if I've done or said anything to indicate otherwise. I always try to provide context alongside my sales posts, so that readers can understand that there is no magic or secret sauce. I can confirm that I have no affiliation with any registrar or registry. I have no mission or goals to coax anyone into doing anything. The only hat I have is made of wool and it keeps my head warm in the winter ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
It seems you lost your patience. And domaining needs to be super patient. Like turtle :)

•••
It seems you lost your patience. And domaining needs to be super patient. Like turtle :)

turtles aren't patient
just slow

spider is patient.

be thou as a spider then

or like water... :)

Last edited:
•••
this industry full of bullsh*t.
Yes, like everything in life.

there's no money in domain names..
No. But maybe domaining is not for you. The majority of domainers are losing money, I firmly believe that not everybody can do it. It's a question of attitude first.
If you are trying to register .today domains you've just registered and nobody wants them, you have to question your choices of domains. Saying there is no money in this industry is a blanket statement. Even though the registrars are having more success than domainers overall. But trying to sell stuff that nobody wants or needs is doomed to fail.

Now I need to have a discussion with my accountants. They have been lying to me for so many years.

•••
You must be missing the daily sales charts... you must be mad that you're not selling domains.. I'm doing this part time right now last month was $8,000+ in sales

This month only one sale so far of 2k down and they have to pay me 12 months of 666.67 but there's no money in this business right I'm only a guy that started with four hundred bucks
i started with 0$, did webdesign,logo design editing what ever i could find on freelancing sites. My first work online was 2$ for 2 days ( Not shocking in my country ) the guy was generous. With 3 months of my earning i had invested on some 4L.com domain and rest is history. Never had to look back again. Nothing to show off just to let you know you are not the only one :)

Thanks.

•••
Find something else to do while you wait for offers to come, and if they never come, move on to other domains. Or bitcoin. That'll give you fast returns... and a rollercoaster of a life.

What? Dealing in domains isn't roller-coaster lifestyle enough for you? :)

It took me almost 4 years before I got my first $xK domain sale. Now that's either the patience of Job, or as foolhardy as Charlie Chaplain. I prefer to think of it as the patience of Job :)

Last edited:
•••
I could be richer but I keep declining $xx,xxx and $x,xxx offers on sub $100 acquisitions :pompous:
I would love to hear about your 5 figures declines on sub $100 acquisitions, I think we all would, especially in the plural sense.

I think you kind of constitute the bs
portion of his comments, if you can’t back up your statements.

•••
this statement is correct for any business sector - the majority of businesses go bankrupt during first years... persistence and desire to achieve success are the key components to profits ;)

•••
Perhaps you are better off asking for help rather than calling an industry a lie...

•••
There is plenty of B.S., I have studied it, verified it and still I work 12 hours a day at this. No argument. Nothing worthwhile is easy, and you are investing in educating yourself. If you instead watch television and have a nagging girlfriend or wife and kids and not much free time, this isn’t easy as its time consuming. It might be impossible even. This is more like studying to get a college degree, you need to focus and tune out all people and distractions. You will sacrifice things short term for the long term goal.

My first sale was what boot strapped my investment and got me going.

I am used to B.S. though, I have been self employed forever and every industry has it. Some are much worse than this, like the latest - cryptocurrency, greater fool sales tactics, ICO crap scams etc.

It takes awhile to figure out who is dishing it out the sales B.S., and who isn’t. what I began to realize is you really need to be careful in reading all these sales data reports as they are unaudited. Just because somebody posts they sold a name for X dollars, does not mean it was true. The Wholesale end of this business has some who pump up values. Certain well known people in various media, have been identified as questionable ethics, there are plenty of people you need to ignore.

I have had many offers on my few but more more high end names, but they are usually whois contacts from wholesale buyers. I answer them all, but these are usually other domainers who use gmail addresses and or disguised emails with the poor mouth offers, and they get annoying.

There are a couple bloggers outside this forum who post good info and you should follow, the rest you should ignore. Namebio data is not 100% accurate, but it is a great free resource good for ball parking sales prices. Get into understanding general business market vertical segments, find ones that arent saturated (thats difficult) read online trends in techcrunch and tech publications, read google trends and do keyword searches. Don’t follow the crowd. Learn RSS and gather data on newsfeeds in areas you discover on one website. You can learn by investing your 12 hrs a day too, like I have. If you have attention seeking and time draining people around you and only 2 hours a week, forget it. This is like an investment of your time as you would learn any trade or skill, you have to concentrate and put in the work.

Finally, forget wholesale auction selling business, and flipping to other domainers and instead seek end users. There are guys I imagine who will allow you to broker their names and all you need to lose or gamble is your time. No reg fees, no investment in names.

This is much more complicated and actually more interesting if you can write and if you develop domains too, which is what I have been doing.

Anyway, this was said above- domaining isn’t for everyone.

•••
Well then instead of wasting your time and life here with domains, where you don't seem happy, you should move on to something where there is money to be made. Perhaps recycling bottles and cans would be an option. Just a thought.

•••
•••
How many accountants have you got? O_o?
It is a team, but they don't work full-time for me (yet) :)

I agree with you all many parts of this industry are full of it, and people are trying to sell you a hoop dream, or picks and shovels to extract crapola. You are right to a degree.
Indeed, there is too much dreaming in this industry, this is what leads to big disappointment. The problem is that end users are not interested in domainers' dreams. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Look at what sells, then understand why, then you'll make better purchases. Ignoring consumer demand, buying bad names in nTLDs guarantees that your inventory will not sell, and you will waste time and money.

Also, I would like to dispute the idea that there are no opportunities left because of HD and the likes ruling the auctions. The environment is not doubt cut-throat competitive but it's like any other industry.

Even in 2018 good names are still to be had. Very recently I picked an absolute killer in .com at auction but it's in a foreign language so few people paid attention (of course I am happy with that). I intend to be the end user for that one.
There are still lots of opportunities all around you, also in ccTLDs that are more specialized markets. There are many ways to skin a cat, but of course many wrongs way to do it too. Having money obviously helps but it is mostly about research and hard work. Domaining isn't easy it's true. There is a huge gap between the expectations and the reality. Look at me for example, I was expecting to retire in 5 years and I am still there...

But don't forget that in 10 years you will be saying those were the good ole days.

•••
There is no doubt a ton of bullshit in this industry. The key is learning to differentiate between the BS and the truth. First step is realizing its not a get rich quick scheme. Second step is putting domaining into some form of realistic expectations for yourself.

1. Try to turn a small profit while reading reading and reading some more about domaining. Don't reg 100 useless names.
2. Try to make enough to take your significant other to dinner.
3. Try to make enough to pay your car payment.
4. Try to make enough to pay your mortgage.
5. Stay motivated and keep reading

Approaching domaining with a baby steps attitude will not only keep you motivated but make you profitable. Nothing happens overnight so keep your expectations realistic and you will be fine.

•••
•••
•••
turtles aren't patient just slow

s p e a k f o r y o u r s e l f k i n d s i r
996227.jpg

More on topic @Premiums: take these^ elders' advice and be patient, spend slow and follow the trends that make money consistently. Not a gTLD sale once every six months. Unless you manage a portfolio of thousands and actively do outbound every day, domaining is a pretty slow (and, dare I say, boring) endeavor.

Find something else to do while you wait for offers to come, and if they never come, move on to other domains. Or bitcoin. That'll give you fast returns... and a rollercoaster of a life.

•••
i started with 0$, did webdesign,logo design editing what ever i could find on freelancing sites. My first work online was 2$ for 2 days ( Not shocking in my country ) the guy was generous. With 3 months of my earning i had invested on some 4L.com domain and rest is history. Never had to look back again. Nothing to show off jut to let you know you are not the only one :)

Thanks.
I'm not showing off the guy is calling the industry a bunch of bs and I was just talkin from my own experience

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back