Domain Empire

Theft by register during bulk search

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Theft during bulk searching can happen?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Never happened to me

votes
    19.4%
  • It can happen

votes
    80.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

sputnik7

Established Member
Impact
Has anyone had experience that from time to time domains that were previously shown as free in bulk search were not free 5 minutes later when you enter the same one in usual search?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hahaha. You’ve found a beginner in domaining to tease him.:)
haha no, I have better to do than teasing beginners.

It was the simple but logical sentence in @biggie's answer that made me reply and it wasn't some indirect attack against you.

Anyway, to answer your original question - sure, it (legally) happens - simply because the (people behind) registrars are domainers too.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

just a note

i would never use gobaddy, to check domain availability

use another registrar to check, then go register at gd if you wish.

also, there have been reported instances of "frontrunning" domains at the registrar level
the article below is from 2012
https://www.dirjournal.com/articles/godaddy-front-running-domains/

imo...

•••
I definitely experience GoDaddy misreporting domain availability, especially when you come from a third party link. For example from a domain suggestion service.

•••
This is called domain frontrunning, and it is still a problem today. (theft is a different thing though)

Last edited:
•••
I have private reasons for not using GoDaddy to search for unregistered domains. It might be poor coding or something else but I still have my doubts.

After all we don't live in a fair world.

What if registrars can grab domains and backdate them?
They actually own the programs, what are the things they can view from their end that's hidden to the public? I can go on and on. But don't mind me. I'm sleep typing again
I think it is about some kind of time delay relating to bulk search. I checked those domains on the who.is page and they have been registered months ago before then showed available in bulk search. I don' believe that they are so much connected. The matter of the fact is that today's world is unfair but in this case I think it is matter of time delay regarding bulk search or something similar to that. Good luck.

•••
To add on the "back dating" part is that, yes a registrar can change the registration date it has internally and on their whois endpoint, however, the registration date at the registry will not be "back dated".
It will stay exactly the same and only users performing a whois/rdap request on the registrar endpoint will see the false date, but it's always best to refer to the registry for the most accurate information if you don't need anything the registrar controls/publishes such as the contacts
Interesting information. Thank You.

•••
Make a list with your wanted domains.

Get foxwhois (free for .com, paid for any other extensions), and check if they are free to register.
Yes, I have already started doing it via who.is.
Thank you and Good luck.

•••
Possible but unlikely. If you are a big company, and if it looks like you are creating a new brand, and they sense it, it can be possible (but still not likely).

There was a .biz domain which I liked, 2 years ago it was about to drop, and it was previously sold for 500 (or 1k?), and I searched it many times at some place, and coincidentaly it was registered at that registrar before going to redemption. I was shown a high price (5K or 10K) , while it was still in redemption or pending delete. Of course I didn't buy, eventually it dropped, I bought it for 1 figure, and dropped a year later and bought my drop again, and sold for mid-3 figure. It dropped again, but this time I didn't buy, because reg cost was premium at registry level.... I suspect I was shown high price , because the registrar suspected I needed that domain desparately, and of course this was not the case.

Last edited:
•••
Years ago i remember at one registrar it was way worse every name registered was instantly displayed for everyone to see so could predict what others were registering and it would happen every time.

•••
The best thing is to register the name instantly....you don't need to just type the name and leave it.... Thinking it will remain unregistered...it happens to me times without number...

I have stop to search for name when I am not ready or have cash on my card.... Some register also are domaining.
Same here. We learned the same lesson. Always buy it right after checking.

•••
Make a list with your wanted domains.

Get foxwhois (free for .com, paid for any other extensions), and check if they are free to register.
What's the difference between foxwhois and whois websites? Better confidentiality?

•••
It's not theft, just not up to date information, sometimes a domain registered for years will appear as available until you try checking out, it will say already taken but it was not for sale all along.

•••
You were on that page when you started chat so of course they know what page you are on and what domain you were looking for.
Nothing nefarious going on.

Peace,
Kenny

I'm on the same page, maybe it's true he can know, but not with what query I typed

it is a search result of a query that is entered by the user, the customer service should not know about such a query. it is sensitive information

How can you not worry about that

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back