6 votes
    19.4%
  2. It can happen

25 votes
    80.6%
Total: 31 vote(s)
  1. sputnik7

sputnik7 Established Member

Yes, I have already started doing it via who.is.
    Thank you and Good luck.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. topdom

topdom Top Contributor VIP

Possible but unlikely. If you are a big company, and if it looks like you are creating a new brand, and they sense it, it can be possible (but still not likely).

There was a .biz domain which I liked, 2 years ago it was about to drop, and it was previously sold for 500 (or 1k?), and I searched it many times at some place, and coincidentaly it was registered at that registrar before going to redemption. I was shown a high price (5K or 10K) , while it was still in redemption or pending delete. Of course I didn't buy, eventually it dropped, I bought it for 1 figure, and dropped a year later and bought my drop again, and sold for mid-3 figure. It dropped again, but this time I didn't buy, because reg cost was premium at registry level.... I suspect I was shown high price , because the registrar suspected I needed that domain desparately, and of course this was not the case.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  3. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

Years ago i remember at one registrar it was way worse every name registered was instantly displayed for everyone to see so could predict what others were registering and it would happen every time.

4. s.g

s.g Okay, you've cracked it. There is more to us...

Same here. We learned the same lesson. Always buy it right after checking.

5. s.g

That was probably the most anti-customer marketing decision ever!

6. s.g

What's the difference between foxwhois and whois websites? Better confidentiality?

7. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

Sometime API etc i have some whois sites some a lot more coding than next

8. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

It's not theft, just not up to date information, sometimes a domain registered for years will appear as available until you try checking out, it will say already taken but it was not for sale all along.

9. jmcc

jmcc Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If it is only registration dates, then the "whois -n" command in Linux is far better than using a whois tool or browser plugin because it queries the registry WHOIS server directly. The -n option tells the program not to redirect to the relevant registrar's WHOIS server.

The ICANN status code for the registations can provide information on whether the domain name is active, in active or pending deletion.
    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/epp-status-codes-2014-06-16-en

Sometimes, as can be seen from the status codes above, a domain name might not be active or in the zone file. The other thing to watch out for with WHOIS sites is if the data is cached rather than live.

Regards...jmcc

10. LUP

LUP Top Contributor VIP

Customer service can know what domain I'm looking for. I never told him

one.png

two.png

11. jmcc

jmcc Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The .co ccTLD is not covered by ICANN. Godaddy acquired Neustar's registry business a while ago and .co was one of the ccTLDs in the deal.

Regards...jmcc

12. Kenny

Kenny Top Contributor VIP Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

You were on that page when you started chat so of course they know what page you are on and what domain you were looking for.
    Nothing nefarious going on.

Peace,
    Kenny

13. LUP

LUP Top Contributor VIP

I'm on the same page, maybe it's true he can know, but not with what query I typed

it is a search result of a query that is entered by the user, the customer service should not know about such a query. it is sensitive information

How can you not worry about that

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice