Dynadot

The whole truth about UNLIMITED hosting

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Many web host providers now offer their clients unlimited which is incredibly surprising. You have to ask yourself something: have you ever bought something that has not limit to it? The answer is an emphatic no.

The term "Unlimited" is a gimmick used by web hosting companies to get you to sign up.

Before you sign up with any web host company, make sure you read their terms of service(TOS) because most of those companies are covered in the sense that they never offer you an unlimited package instead they offer you a specific amount of hosting which is usually found in the TOS.

I can assure you that once you use more than the treshold allocated to you, you will be contacted by your host.

I'm not implying that a host is not good simply because they claim to offer unlimited service. Afterall many host companies are guilty of this.

You have to also understand that there are some features that can be unlimited, like : Email, sub-domains, addon-domains etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is up to you to believe in it or not. That is being used as marketing trick. Not more

Yes, sure!!

Unlimited Webspace = NO! That is no possible ...!
Unlimited Traffic = YES! Many companys offer unlimited (fair use) traffic ...!

•••
There are many views on this "unlimited" usage term. Being a webhost who doesn't offer unlimited usages quite simply because I don't have unlimited resources, I have to wonder though, what do the general public tend to go for. The ones who want a website but don't have any real knowledge. They read "unlimited webspace" and that's what they expect to get. A common phrase is you get what you pay for but can we argue the point that we arn't getting what is advertised on site?

I agree that most $1 hosts offering unlimited resources seem to be out to make a quick buck. It's a huge risk to offer it, though it is possible that most clients could be small resource users which would make it ok.

One thing that bothers me is the competition. Its massive and web hosting has become a huge market. It's also a very tough market and competition is only really in the after sales support. There's too many attractive bargains out there which makes the rest of us honest hosts look like we're stingy! How do we combat that issue?

•••
There's too many attractive bargains out there which makes the rest of us honest hosts look like we're stingy! How do we combat that issue?
That's a good question... and a good point.

I think the general public has been mislead, and become so accustomed to seeing such claims, people now expect "unlimited" resources. Somehow, this thing that doesn't exist, has become the new *standard* in web hosting.

By the way, am I the only one expecting to see some kind of significant change or shake-up at HostGator? Just a gut-instinct... but it feels like something is about to POP with that company. I don't know if it's good, or bad.. but it's something.

•••
Well HostGator have such a high reputation, I don't think they actually have anything to worry about. Course I could be wrong but that's the impression I get. For a long time they never oversold but they are all about eating up the competition. I reckon they make enough out of their other products, reseller VPS and Dedicated servers, that they don't have to worry about the cost involved with sticking another hard drive into one of their shared servers should it be getting low on space.

Then again, they do still have an inode limit set out in their terms which is of something like 50,000 files I think.

•••
I cannot say anything bad about HostGator.

However it always concerns me when I see a company, any company, experience the enormous amount of growth in a relatively short period of time. And now they've become a "unlimited" provider. That bothers me when companies make that claim.

But the train keeps rolling down the track... and building steam... no doubt about it... they are massively successful at what they do.

I just wonder if that train has an *unlimited* amount of steam.

•••
Just know your diskspace or bandwidth requirement and find a host that meets that requirement. All that glitters is not always gold.

•••
As another host that doesn't offer unlimited, as stated earlier we look stingey, but if the clients really look at their needs they'll find they won't need much more that 5GB space, bandwidth is something different, but even if you tell a lcient you don't do unlimited space and explain the reasons why, then they want unlimited bandwidth or request somethin glike 3gb space for 2tb bandwidth and expect to pay $5 for it, hence I have never really advertised, my clients are word of mouth clients and yes I may not be as big as others, but my clients know we are always there for them.

It really winds me up offering unlimited, but what can you do.

•••
Just know your diskspace or bandwidth requirement and find a host that meets that requirement. All that glitters is not always gold.

I'd rather share your point of you. But in general: if customer happy about the service he gets that is doen't matter for him which plan he is using unlimited or limited

•••
Yes, UNLIMITED Hosting is a marketing Gimmick! - But a Freedom of web hosting.

When you have high traffic websites with tons of files, why you are still looking for cheap hosting? Go for a VPS or a Dedicated server.

•••
your exactly right. Unlimited is a huge scheme

•••
There is no such thing as unlimited for anything in the world. Just sounds pretty.

•••
Somebody should start a lawsuit for false advertising. ;)

•••
•••
This is what happen when a kid paid $3 for month and host like 10 website suddenly traffic increase therefore web hosting shut down because they don't want to slow down the whole network then the $3 kids go complaint host begin bad.

You got what you paid for...

•••
Thanks for sharing the post but as others said you are contradicting yourself as you advertise "unlimited" hosts on the website in your signature (Not to mention those with affiliate links).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back