Dynadot

The whole truth about UNLIMITED hosting

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Many web host providers now offer their clients unlimited which is incredibly surprising. You have to ask yourself something: have you ever bought something that has not limit to it? The answer is an emphatic no.

The term "Unlimited" is a gimmick used by web hosting companies to get you to sign up.

Before you sign up with any web host company, make sure you read their terms of service(TOS) because most of those companies are covered in the sense that they never offer you an unlimited package instead they offer you a specific amount of hosting which is usually found in the TOS.

I can assure you that once you use more than the treshold allocated to you, you will be contacted by your host.

I'm not implying that a host is not good simply because they claim to offer unlimited service. Afterall many host companies are guilty of this.

You have to also understand that there are some features that can be unlimited, like : Email, sub-domains, addon-domains etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The truth about UNLIMITED hosting - HostSearch Forums

We're all "salesmen" here, so I understand the desire to advertise your website's product/service, but it does seem a bit ironic and hypocritical that you are going around the web posting this anti-unlimited message, all the while promoting unlimited hosts on your own website.

So, you're telling me they're bad... but you're still asking me to sign up with them? :-/

You might want to rethink your strategy. As it stands, it doesn't appear you really care what business practices hosts are using. It appears your only concern is getting people to visit your website so they might click those affiliate links. That's fine, but don't try to mask it as a 'community service' educating us about web hosting. It's silly and insulting.

Last edited:
•••
Yes unlimited has its own limits always. BTW if the site in your signature is yours; I could see some of them in the top position offers unlimited every thing. If you don't mind share your thoughts on that also.

•••
Yes unlimited has its own limits always. BTW if the site in your signature is yours; I could see some of them in the top position offers unlimited every thing. If you don't mind share your thoughts on that also.
Yes indeed. In-fact, the top four "best" sites in the OP's signature (all using affiliate links...) are *all* "unlimited" hosts.

•••
Yes I think there is nothing like unlimited, Unlimited simply means that its more than what you are using right now.

•••
•••
Surprising as it may be, some of the unlimited or virtually unlimited (e.g. 1TB data transfer for $5) do manage to keep their servers up and running fast. :)

You have to also understand that there are some features that can be unlimited, like : Email, sub-domains, addon-domains etc.
In reality, they can't be infinite either. Like all that is offered on an "unlimited" basis, there's simply no soft limit on their usage. Try to put 10000 addon domains on an account, and you'll see the host frown and ask you to upgrade. ;)

•••
That is up to you to believe in it or not. That is being used as marketing trick. Not more

•••
I think you always know how much you need, so once you see unlimited offer just sent ticket to them and ask if you get that what you want with their unlimited hosting

•••
Many people who go for unlimited plans don't need it.

•••
you can check terms and condition of such host you will find limits there.
a fair host offer you what is in his pocket and deals fairly, its just a marketing gimmick

•••
Yes indeed. In-fact, the top four "best" sites in the OP's signature (all using affiliate links...) are *all* "unlimited" hosts.

LOL... that's pretty funny...

I've always though that something too good to be true probably is. I wouldn't want to be part of a host offering unlimited bandwidth because I'd be worried that other people would use too much and it would hurt my site.
It seem much better to figure out what I need (which isn't much) and then pay a fair price for that. I want to make sure my host has adequate resources so my sites are always available and load fast - which means "unlimited" is a bad idea... in my humble opinon. :)

•••
If the OP is based in the US he's breaking the FTC's new guidelines. He has to tell everyone he's being paid to promote those sites.

It's funny, something people don't seem to realize, is that all these top 10 hosting sites are ALL affiliate links. OP made me laugh.

Unlimited is fine. It just means that that's not what they use to limit you. But, you should know when it's coming time for you to upgrade even before your host contacts you. A forum should'nt have more than (average) 50-75 people on at the same time on shared hosting, as the load will be quite high.

However, a static HTML site could feasibly use gigs and gigs of bandwidth each month without using much load.

•••
unlimited means that the seller could sell unlimited package from very limited resources LOL means that in short period either the seller gonna vanish or the host goin down.

•••
This is simply marketing trick known as overselling. You know that unlimited doesn't mean anything, and nobody can use 'unlimited'. On this planet everything is very limited, and the same thing is for hosting.
They can give you unlimited bandwidth and space, but you can be limited in number of hits for day, sql queries per hour or something like that. So, it's clear that bandwidth and space is not everything if your site goes down after exceeding the number of allowed daily hits.

•••
While we're on the subject of web hosts... how many "#1" hosts can there be? How many "leading" providers can there be? Everybody claims to be the best. Meanwhile, we have an endless stream of host rating websites, most of which are pure B.S. and nothing but paid placements.

A kid can start a hosting company today, buy a $100 template, and claim to be the "top" host, and many web newbies fall for it. With most other consumer products, you can't get away with making such claims. It just seems to be an industry out of control. Not unlike domaining. :o

•••
Very true. Just start a web hosting review site and lists who you want on it. I see it all the time. Just like host affiliates come on to the forums to defend their site when ever some one reports something bad about them.
I would be more concerned with the domain registry. I've tried several hosting companies out and had varies results. The company I have now has multiple data bases in the US and Europe for better web exposure. The C-panel is far superior than any others I've tried. Choice is always good though. Just like car sales. Everyone likes something different.

•••
Cars can be different I think but not web hosting... I think that only good and quality service can make web hosting service different

•••
Unlimited bandwidth and disk space is definitely a gimmick. As a friend in another forum put it, it's 'happy meal hosting'. It's cheap and easy. It's more important for webmasters to figure out their needs first, then buy a fitting hosting plan.

•••
Unlimited bandwidth and disk space is definitely a gimmick. As a friend in another forum put it, it's 'happy meal hosting'. It's cheap and easy. It's more important for webmasters to figure out their needs first, then buy a fitting hosting plan.

You're spot on.

•••
Note that there are differences between unlimited and unmetered.

Unlimited isn't possible. No server can have an infinite amount of space, and if you actually read the hosts terms of service you may see some reasons why they say their services are "unlimited". Generally, they have no hard cap but will suspend you if you start using an excessive amount of storage and bandwidth. This "excessive amount" is decided on their discretion and it could be as little as 100mb or as large as 1tb.

Unmetered is possible, just incredibly unlikely. In a nutshell, if a hosting company says that their plans are "unmetered" then any usage isn't on the metre; it isn't measured. Truth is, that's usually a lie. Whilst you might find someone who does not measure your limit most companies won't actually stop monitoring your data usage.

The argument, for either case, is usually that the limits are "as much as a regular/normal/standard/average website may need" but in the website industry there is no average on storage space or bandwidth. Every sites needs are completely different and an average would be extremely misleading.

Any respectable company wouldn't bullshit their way into a sale. They wouldn't need to. Selling "unlimited" or "unmetered" bandwidth might score you an extra buck or two for a few months but when people start needing a lot of space you can't provide then the shit hits the fan.

Simply solution? Don't offer such services.

•••
Our company offers multiple hosting plans. You can check by clicking on web hosting on the blue header bar. You can also buy band width protection if you think you might over pull. Not sure how many people offer that.

•••
Note that there are differences between unlimited and unmetered.

Unlimited isn't possible. No server can have an infinite amount of space, and if you actually read the hosts terms of service you may see some reasons why they say their services are "unlimited". Generally, they have no hard cap but will suspend you if you start using an excessive amount of storage and bandwidth. This "excessive amount" is decided on their discretion and it could be as little as 100mb or as large as 1tb.

Unmetered is possible, just incredibly unlikely. In a nutshell, if a hosting company says that their plans are "unmetered" then any usage isn't on the metre; it isn't measured. Truth is, that's usually a lie. Whilst you might find someone who does not measure your limit most companies won't actually stop monitoring your data usage.

The argument, for either case, is usually that the limits are "as much as a regular/normal/standard/average website may need" but in the website industry there is no average on storage space or bandwidth. Every sites needs are completely different and an average would be extremely misleading.

Any respectable company wouldn't bullshit their way into a sale. They wouldn't need to. Selling "unlimited" or "unmetered" bandwidth might score you an extra buck or two for a few months but when people start needing a lot of space you can't provide then the shit hits the fan.

Simply solution? Don't offer such services.

You are right. But people with huge requirements should understand that they will not be happy on unlimited web hosting for $1 per month.

•••
You are right. But people with huge requirements should understand that they will not be happy on unlimited web hosting for $1 per month.

Good thing I don't have huge server requirements (or get offered unlimited space/bandwidth) then, lol.

•••
Good thing I don't have huge server requirements (or get offered unlimited space/bandwidth) then, lol.

So you do not need something unlimited ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back