IT.COM

Dangers of Unlimited Space & Bandwidth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If you prefer audio or to see the pretty images included in the origional article Please Click here
HastyHost said:
Over the years, the web hosting industry has taken several changes. One of these changes includes the introduction of unlimited space and/or bandwidth. These changes are a way for hosting companies to deceive it's customers, as a way to bring in more income. The sad truth is, you do not always get what you pay for, but these companies hope that you are unaware of this type of trickery.

So what exactly are the dangers of overselling Unlimited Space & Bandwidth?

"Overselling is a term used in the web hosting industry to describe a situation in which a company provides hosting plans that are unsustainable if every one of its customers uses the full extent of services advertised. The term is usually referred to the web space and bandwidth transfer allowance (source)."

That basically means, a web hosting company will sell you a service that it really cannot offer. This can be called false advertising, however, not one person has been able to prove a web hosting wrong because of three main factors:

The first reason why no one has successfully revealed a web host wrong that offers unlimited disk space is because the web host will suspend that individuals account as soon as it appears to be using more than the allocated space (usually 1GB) that web host may have set that you as a customer do not know about.

Secondly, all web host that provide unlimited space and bandwidth will have in their terms of service many restrictions that most customers simply bypass without paying any attention to. These restrictions usually include all types of websites that use up a large amount of space such as the following:

Backup websites
Warez or Illegal Content websites
Streaming videos or music
Downloading software, movies, music etc websites
Sites that offer free resources to the public
and the elongated list goes on...

Lastly, when it comes unlimited bandwidth you have to be careful about that as well. "Bandwidth refers to the amount of data that website visitors can download from a website (source)." Most unlimited bandwidth provides will claim they have unmetered bandwidth which can be true, but, the tricky part is, if your website consumes too many CPU resources your account will be suspended. Most host give your individual web hosting account a 10% CPU resource limit, but if you go over that limit your account will be suspended. Most customers have no idea how to prevent this from happening, and lack the knowledge of rather or not their type of website is suitable for such an shared environment.

As you know, you are sharing the server you are placed on with other individuals just like you. If one person uses too many CPU resources or creates a high server load at any given time, that effects your website as well, which causes downtime or slow response time to your website. Many web host that provide unlimited bandwidth will eventually face this horrible factor.
Andy Anderson, an individual currently involved in the web hosting market had this to say about overselling disk space and bandwidth:

"How much room do you actually need for a site? Looking through my server logs most people use 500MB (megabytes) of disk space and about 5GB (gigabytes) of bandwidth. That is plenty of room for the average person with only 1GB of disk space. But most people will not ever look at how much space they are using. They only look at storage space when they are looking for a host. The hosting market these days are very competitive. Web Hosts bank on your lack of knowledge and promise you TB (terabytes) of space and bandwidth. If you look at burst.net they have a terabyte hard drive for $400.00 a month per host. So think for a minute, how can a host offer you a $1.95 month web hosting plan for a terabyte of space? Mathematically they cannot possibly do it, and yet, they know about it and lie to your face that they can. They also hide behind their TOS (terms of service) saying you must have active sites ect. Do you think Google.com would pay for 1,000’s of servers if they could host at DreamHost, who oversells web space, for $7.95?"

The bottom line is, if you are serious about the future of your website, it is best to do your own research and actually pay for what you receive. If the offer looks too good to be true, more than likely it is.

Copyright : Robert Smith (CEO of HastyHost)
<mod note> I have permission to reproduce this article as I myself has contributed to this article.Copyright Robert Smith (CEO of HastyHost)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I suppose that everyone who acting in the web hosting area do understand all differences and danger.
But article is good one and I wish every newbie start with reading this article

•••
Agree, useful information for those entering hosting field. Also there are some hosts who manages their overselling well so that their client won't suffer. Any way it is a marketing technique actually.

•••
I believe that people shopuld be protected in another way as well. No one start the search reading articles

•••
•••
But how do they get away by saying unlimited space and then suspending you when you use more than 1GB, that is clearly not unlimited and shouldn't that hold in court? Or are you saying that they advertise unlimited and then in their terms and conditions they state a limit of 1GB? Again how do they get away with that since its clearly contradictory.

•••
naviivan said:
shouldn't that hold in court?

Suspended $1.95/mo hosting account vs. court fees

•••
ZeRohiLL said:
Suspended $1.95/mo hosting account vs. court fees
Well I mean it's the ethics of the situation. It could be possible to have a class action lawsuit, like how a large number of people sued Seagate due to the whole less space than advertised issue (because of the 1kb=1000b convention) and won.

•••
hivelocitydd said:
If you are planning on making a big website which need a big space of webhosting, then you need to see this top10webhosting.com. Top10webhosting.com lists 10 of best web hosts. They have selected / reviewed 10 best web hostingcompanies from some of the world top webhosting companies. They have been with this companies for more than a year and their clients are using it. All the hosting services they reviewed are reliable web hosting company supporting Apache, Python, PHP 4 or 5, MySQL 4, Microsoft FrontPage extension and email (including webmail). Most runs on Linux and Windows. Web Hosting services is a very competitive industry, some hosts are giving very cheap web hosting rate (as low as $4.95! ), including reduced first year fee, free months, discount coupon, free fist year, rebate and etc. You can easily find a very cheap hosting from $4~$10 per month. Almost all of the 10 best web hosts that reviewed with this site has Unlimited Space, Unlimited Bandwidth, and price below 10 dolar a month. All hosting plan that were reviewed can host any domain name including .com, .org, .net, .co.uk, .co.jp, .tv, .ws , .com.au, .com.sg, .it and etc. and etc. So, if you are searching for reliable webhosting with unlimited space, then ask this site which webhosting is suitable for you.
I strongly disagree. If you notice they use referral links (most of the times) and or advertising. WebhostingStuff is the same way. The companies that pay the most are the ones that get the most banners shown. Its truely sorry but it is a scam. I am working on another article warning about the Dangers of Web Hosting Directorys.

antic said:
What is the source?
We the HastyHost staff,primarily the owner and myself.

naviivan said:
Well I mean it's the ethics of the situation. It could be possible to have a class action lawsuit, like how a large number of people sued Seagate due to the whole less space than advertised issue (because of the 1kb=1000b convention) and won.
Exactly. It all comes down to ethics. This is written for the average newbi however I am reproducing this on forums to warn people of these dangers. Its obvious these companies hide behind there TOS and lie to customers. I started in this industry with a over seller host and was quickly taken by there 75$ setup fee. Its outrages and I'd love to see it go. The Hasty Host Staff and I do not hide behind gray ethics and take pride in our work unfortunately many companies dont share these ethics

naviivan said:
But how do they get away by saying unlimited space and then suspending you when you use more than 1GB, that is clearly not unlimited and shouldn't that hold in court? Or are you saying that they advertise unlimited and then in their terms and conditions they state a limit of 1GB? Again how do they get away with that since its clearly contradictory.
It should. But read there tos:
(Commentary is italicized)

I should of done this before but read the Bold in Dreamhost ( a common oversellers TOS)

DreamHost said:
What do you mean "Unlimited"?

What we mean is, you don't have to worry about disk storage or network transfer when your site gets popular.

You DO still have to worry about plenty of other things though... if your site isn't well optimized and is causing issues for others on your shared server (either because it's pounding the CPU, hogging RAM, or doing tons of disk I/O), you may be asked to sign up for your own DreamHost Private Server.

Trust us, every host out there has exactly the same limitations.. we're just trying to be up front about them!
They do not give any clear % of server resources. There for its at there discression to susspend you when ever they want.

Here are some specific examples of things not allowed:

* Copyrighted content you are not the copyright holder of.
* File upload / sharing / archive / backup / mirroring / distribution sites.
* A site created primarily to drive traffic to another site.
* Making your account resources available (whether for free or pay) to the general publ
If you read there full TOS There are alot more included

I will post more when I have time

To be fair to dream host lets look at Yahoo
Yahoo said:
If You registered for a new domain name in conjunction with Your Service, and cancel before You have paid your second monthly payment without disputing such charge with either your payment method company or Yahoo!, Yahoo! reserves the right to request the domain name provider to remove the domain name from the domain name registry and/or transfer the domain name from You to Yahoo! You acknowledge that where Yahoo! transfers such domain name to Yahoo! under this Section 5.2, Yahoo! will hold all rights of the registered domain name holder in respect of that domain name, including the right to sell the domain name to a third party
Seriously if you stop there service they may steel your domain? WTF Is up with that?

(where this was a right held by You as the original registrant in respect of the relevant domain name).Additionally, Your domain name will cease working with Your email and no longer point to Your web site. After cancellation and/or expiration of this Agreement, You will no longer have access to Your web site and all information contained therein may be deleted by Yahoo! Obviously you dont pay your bill you info will be deleted do pun here but I want to give you all the complete TOS so I am showing it in the context

Latter....

* offering for sale any products or services; * soliciting for advertisers or sponsors; * conducting raffles or contests that require any type of entry fee; * resell, rent, or otherwise receive consideration for placement of any creative material (e.g., no third-party advertising) * displaying a sponsorship banner of any kind, including those that are generated by banner or link exchange services, with the sole exceptions of the GeoGuide Banner Exchange program and the Internet Link Exchange; and * displaying banners for services that provide cash or cash-equivalent prizes to users in exchange for hyperlinks to their web sites.
You can't sell products or services with them? LMAO No file hosts no imagehosts or what not.
nderstand and agree to use the web hosting service solely for the purpose of hosting and serving web pages as viewed through a web browser and the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) protocol or other equivalent technology. Yahoo! Web Hosting is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small, independently owned and operated businesses in the United States. It is not intended to support the greater web hosting needs of large enterprises or internationally based businesses.

(c) You acknowledge that Yahoo! cannot guarantee the availability of the domain name you select for your use until Yahoo! receives confirmation of its order from INWW, which may take several business days.
I found this funny to be honest with all the modern domain check programs why can't yahoo get web 2.0? (sorry I should go back to topic about overselling)
(f) YAHOO! ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TIMELINESS, DELETION, MISDELIVERY, OR FAILURE TO STORE ANY USER COMMUNICATIONS OR PERSONALIZATION SETTINGS.
Therefore they can delete your information if your using to much space as determined once again in there "interest"

**** Moving on To Hosting Gator ****
Examples of unacceptable material on all Shared and Reseller servers include:

* TopsitesInteresting why? usualy they dont require that much resources?
* IRC Scripts/Bots
* Proxy Scripts/Anonymizers

* Pirated Software/Warez
* Image Hosting Scripts (similar to Photobucket or Tinypic)
* AutoSurf/PTC/PTS/PPC sites
* IP Scanners

* Bruteforce Programs/Scripts/Applications
* Mail Bombers/Spam Scripts
* Banner-Ad services (commercial banner ad rotation)
* File Dump/Mirror Scripts (similar to rapidshare)
* Commercial Audio Streaming (more than one or two streams)
* Escrow/Bank Debentures
* High-Yield Interest Programs (HYIP) or Related Sites
* Investment Sites (FOREX, E-Gold Exchange, Second Life/Linden Exchange, Ponzi, MLM/Pyramid Scheme)
* Sale of any controlled substance without prior proof of appropriate permit(s)
* Prime Banks Programs
* Lottery Sites
* MUDs/RPGs/PPBGs
* Hateful/Racist/Harassment oriented sites
* Hacker focused sites/archives/programs
* Sites promoting illegal activities
* Forums and/or websites that distribute or link to warez/pirated/illegal content
* Bank Debentures/Bank Debenture Trading Programs
* Fraudulent Sites (Including, but not limited to sites listed at aa419.org & escrow-fraud.com)
You are allocated a monthly bandwidth allowance. This allowance varies depending on the hosting package you purchase. Should your account pass the allocated amount we reserve the right to suspend the account until the start of the next allocation, suspend the account until more bandwidth is purchased at an additional fee, suspend the account until you upgrade to a higher level of package, terminate the account and/or charge you an additional fee for the overages. Unused transfer in one month cannot be carried over to the next month.
This means theres a limmit if theres only so much "allocated'

•••
They do not give any clear % of server resources. There for its at there discression to susspend you when ever they want.
I'm not sure if they should ;)

•••
My point is I've had those hosts. Try uploading wikipedia to there site. It has full web contents and its like 300 gigs (smallest package) There not going to allow you to host it with them.

•••
Some kind of tests in here?

•••
I assume that is the question to everyone who is looking for web hosting. Other thing offers which come from web hosting providers. I assume that people should prevent appearing such offers

•••
microvps said:
I assume that is the question to everyone who is looking for web hosting. Other thing offers which come from web hosting providers. I assume that people should prevent appearing such offers
Can you explain? I dont understand what your trying to say??? :-/

•••
I'm glad to see most find my article useful :)

•••
hastyhost said:
I'm glad to see most find my article useful :)
I'm glad you finialy joined.

•••
hastyhost and JamesIsCool you are from the same company?

•••
~ServerPoint~ said:
hastyhost and JamesIsCool you are from the same company?
Correct. HastyHost/Richard is my boss and owner of HastyHost. Richard technicaly authored this post which is why there are quotes. I helped and have permission to reproduce it.

•••
Who is Richard?:gn: I think Andy needs a little rest :)

He meant to say "Robert" :lol:

•••
I though this post should be talking about the dangers of unlimited space and bandwidth.

But why the conversation suddenly changes to promotinal conversation from hosting company?

I agree that we need to done research for hosting company to prevent registered with "over selling" company.

•••
hastyhost said:
Who is Richard?:gn: I think Andy needs a little rest :)

He meant to say "Robert" :lol:
So there are 3 of you.... Not a problem. Just have never meat such. Good of you then.
And sorry for the small hijacking

•••
~ServerPoint~ said:
So there are 3 of you.... Not a problem. Just have never meat such. Good of you then.
And sorry for the small hijacking
Not a problem Richard = my x partner Robert also starts with an R and I get confused some times.

•••
i dont agree with this article. because many hosting companies gives unlimited traffic

•••
asanka000 said:
i dont agree with this article. because many hosting companies gives unlimited traffic
There is no such thing as unlimited and unmetered. The cables/pipes have there limits like everything. All unmetered means is the host wont monitor/stop your traffic however the server has its limits.

Read the TOS very carefully as they usually say stuff along the lines of :if you use more then average" (obviously not unlimited) if you use more then 2% of the cpu (if you are having a lot of visitors that will use more then 2% of the cpu

Last edited:
•••
asanka000 said:
wrong. many hosting companies say that they give unlimited resources. saying and doing are two very different things, and an impossibility when it comes to this situation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back