Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
personally, i'd like to hear more discussion about .tel from the mobile standpoint, not from what you will do with it typing in a .tel into your browser right now from your pc. imo this is was never what it was meant for anyway. anyone care to take the discussion in this direction? please disregard what you do on your laptop and pc for the moment, and talk about .tel strengths and weaknesses on mobile devices like your blackberry, iphone, gphone, etc. and anything to do with .tel apps. I would enjoy that :D :peace:

•••
Unless Google decides to treat .tel differently then why wouldn't you expect to have to work at your rankings in exactly the same way you would for any other TLD, i.e. target your keywords carefully, get decent backlinks, etc.?
First off, you have very limited control over the contents and the overall structure (look at the HTML source code and maybe you will understand what I mean). Don't tell me .tel is an asset or even compares with *any* other TLD for SEO purposes.
Your line of thinking is like .tel was designed for the WWW.
I can't believe we are even discussing this :rolleyes:

•••
plaggypig - by landrush time I knew .tel is useless. What are you trying to demonstrate by the "landrush" phase?

.jobs, .name & .tv are so low in the domain food chain that makes no sense for me to register. Same for .travel. This applies to .tel also, for general use. I guess I will keep my 2-3 .tel domains as "business" cards. I hope this gives me plenty of reason to visit this thread often :D As for .me it's Montenegro. I have a couple of .me domains that are "hacks" and that's it.

So, you're attempting to make this all personal when the focus is on .tel - as sdsinc said, check out the source of any .tel for the complete lack of any meta tags that'd help a "developed" .tel rank in Google.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

There are many, many things that I think are rubbish, but I don't waste my time or money on them. I can't think of any other way to say it, but you need to get a life.

No, you need to grow a pair of gonads and face the facts of life. What I do with my time is my business. Your arrogance can easily be matched by my wit.

•••
First off, you have very limited control over the contents and the overall structure (look at the HTML source code and maybe you will understand what I mean). Don't tell me .tel is an asset or even compares with *any* other TLD for SEO purposes.
Your line of thinking is like .tel was designed for the WWW.
I can't believe we are even discussing this :rolleyes:

The TelProxy spits out valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional documents. The only SEO issue I'm aware of would be that anchor tags don't include the context, but so far as I'm aware this would only have implications for the page you're linking out to.

I don't claim to be an SEO expert so just give me an example of how .tel domains are being improperly indexed by Google or anybody else and we'll see if there's a solution.

Incidentally, microformats are somewhere on the roadmap.

---------- Post added 09-12-2009 at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-11-2009 at 11:48 PM ----------

plaggypig - by landrush time I knew .tel is useless. What are you trying to demonstrate by the "landrush" phase?

Does that mean none? Trying to ascertain the source of your resentment, as illustrated by the sheer amount of time you've invested into scorning this.

Acroplex said:
.jobs, .name & .tv are so low in the domain food chain that makes no sense for me to register. Same for .travel. This applies to .tel also, for general use.

:-/

Acroplex said:
I guess I will keep my 2-3 .tel domains as "business" cards. I hope this gives me plenty of reason to visit this thread often :D

Then why not stick to talking about what .tel is, not what it isn't - if you make constructive criticisms and suggestions then we'll all be the better for it, including yourself.

Acroplex said:
as sdsinc said, check out the source of any .tel for the complete lack of any meta tags that'd help a "developed" .tel rank in Google.

I think META tags may be on the roadmap anyway, I'm not sure. But think for a moment what META tags are for - does .tel need them given that keywords are already listed in the page body, and the density of text should be considerably less than a typical web page anyway? If more knowledgeable people wish to offer up an argument then I'm more than happy to listen.

Acroplex said:
No, you need to grow a pair of gonads and face the facts of life. What I do with my time is my business. Your arrogance can easily be matched by my wit.

Merely highlighting the hypocrisy of railing so hard against something you could quite easily ignore, just as you presumably ignore everything else that you dislike.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not going to answer every question simply to satisfy your curiosity, when you can't admit that .tel registrations are a waste of money.

Here's a little taste though.

I've sold more than 1,250 domains since 2000. My portfolio contains roughly the same number of domains, mainly single word dictionary com/net/org domains & two word compound .coms

Have had several $xx,xxx sales of domains since 2005, including the highest price ever paid for a NNN .org earlier this year - that was 360.org. My specialty is locating domains with end-user potential. Several of my sales took the ROI from a cost of $xx to a $x,xxx sale.

When I talk about something, I know what I'm talking about - not out of spite, but because that's the way it is.

I, too, have no intention of satisfying your idle curiousity.

Here's a little taste though.

As a fourth grader, I won first place in the John Enders Elementary School annual talent competition. Believe me, that was no slouch!

•••
personally, i'd like to hear more discussion about .tel from the mobile standpoint, not from what you will do with it typing in a .tel into your browser
The question is, does .tel fulfill a need that has not already been addressed by mobile .com's?

Maybe the .tel pumpers can answer this with specifics.

•••
I don't claim to be an SEO expert so just give me an example of how .tel domains are being improperly indexed by Google or anybody else and we'll see if there's a solution.
Do I need to teach you SEO ?
By contents I mean text, relevant text. Articles with the right keyword density and other extras are one example of content.
.tel has not contents, just data.

As for the HTML structure:
Let's have a look at the source code of sex.tel for example.
HTML:
<title>sex.tel</title>
The title tag says nothing meaningful about your .tel. Yet it's one of the most important tags for SEO purposes. META tags are missing as well. If you want to see how it shows up in search results just type this query in google: site:sex.tel
It's clearly unoptimized, untargeted code. It's definitely not SEO-friendly and that's a fact, not an opinion. You would really need a lot of quality backlinks to offset the lack of meaningful content. SEOing .tel just makes no sense.
Furthermore, branding of your domain is difficult since the .tel logo and the cookie-cutter layout takes over. The .tel branding is overwhelming.

Again, I perfectly understand that .tel was not designed for the web. So these are moot points in some way, but the fact remains that .tel is the absolute worst TLD you can get for SEO purposes. It's inferior to any other TLD, the only comparable extension being .arpa.

Just treat .tel for what it is - a data repository. Anything further is speculation.

•••
Then why not stick to talking about what .tel is, not what it isn't
That is a funny statement coming from a .tel pumper.

You guys are constantly talking about what .tel could be..... You could be able to dial a .tel "number", you could build a directory and sell listings, you could rank a .tel higher in Google than your .com, you could use .tel for polling, you could replace texting to numbers with .tel, etc... etc... etc...

What are the pumpers talking about that .tel can currently do?

•••
I just notice that telnic are not targeting mobile devices properly.
Unfortunately, they think Opera 10 is a mobile phone browser :guilty:
This is how sex.tel looks on Opera 10: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4024/sextel.gif
I can't even 'switch' to the regular version.

•••
The question is, does .tel fulfill a need that has not already been addressed by mobile .com's?

Maybe the .tel pumpers can answer this with specifics.

sure, lets hear some views!

one thing to interject though, it doesnt necessarily have to fill a complete vaccuum, IF it can do something that's already been done, better.

take for example google. they dont necessarily do anything that hasn't been done before, they simply take good ideas and make them better, faster, easier, etc. imho.

•••
sdsinc said:
By contents I mean text, relevant text. Articles with the right keyword density and other extras are one example of content. .tel has not contents, just data.

There are records for all sorts of things, including header, keywords and free text; it all gets rendered.

sdsinc said:
As for the HTML structure:
Let's have a look at the source code of sex.tel for example.
HTML:
<title>sex.tel</title>
The title tag says nothing meaningful about your .tel. Yet it's one of the most important tags for SEO purposes.

Good point, but certainly fixable.

sdsinc said:
META tags are missing as well. If you want to see how it shows up in search results just type this query in google: site:sex.tel
It's clearly unoptimized, untargeted code. It's definitely not SEO-friendly and that's a fact, not an opinion.

See my previous post about META tags, and I forgot to mention that duplicating keywords would result in a penalty.

I Googled site:sex.tel, and the header text is shown in the results description. Adding the various keywords from sex.tel to the query also shows they're present in the index. Keyword rich text is so sparse on .tel domains I don't really understand what you would change in terms of document structure that would make any real difference?

sdsinc said:
Furthermore, branding of your domain is difficult since the .tel logo and the cookie-cutter layout takes over. The .tel branding is overwhelming.

I've raised the issue of introducing a special record type for avatars, and other people have raised all sorts of other design issues. I'm sure that over time many improvements will be made, so I wouldn't get too hung up about it.

sdsinc said:
Again, I perfectly understand that .tel was not designed for the web. So these are moot points in some way, but the fact remains that .tel is the absolute worst TLD you can get for SEO purposes. It's inferior to any other TLD, the only comparable extension being .arpa.

I'd hope that search engines realise there is a great potential to consume data from .tel and answer queries differently - and I'm quite sure they will if .tel gains popularity. But in any case there are special purpose .tel search engines now, and I'll be announcing a new one soon that takes a completely new approach.

sdsinc said:
Just treat .tel for what it is - a data repository.

That's like observing the human brain as just a lump of grey goo, rather than appreciating what it's capable of and the things it can accomplish :)

In case anybody George Moen's post yesterday, check it out.

Last edited:
•••
Oh, the "interactive" word comes up again. You're absolutely right, you can create all the interaction you like on a .com name. The whole point of .tel is that there is very little interaction - you ask for information, you're given information. Nothing stupid in the middle. Queries are over in a matter of microseconds, not seconds.

I care about what .tel is, not what it isn't. You waste too much time dwelling on this.

:bingo:

Acro-BatBoy will never get it, it's simply over his head :rolleyes:

Intelligence conversation with that one is a waste of time :zzz:

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Is Telpages going to be a game changer for contact information? No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

Because 100% of the information on .tel profiles can already be easily found elsewhere should the contact choose to make it available.

No, it can't.

•••
:bingo:

Acro-BatBoy will never get it, it's simply over his head :rolleyes:

Intelligence conversation with that one is a waste of time :zzz:

Actually, I have had quite a few intelligent conversations with "Acro-BatBoy" as many others have.

The whole problem is there is yet an example of what .tel can accomplish instead of the "whobewhatties".

Let me know if any of the dashed keywords on http://tel-buy.com sell for 100,000 EUR.

Last edited:
•••
Actually, I have had quite a few intelligent conversations with "Acro-BatBoy" as many others have.

Including me. When it came to the VALID points being bashed instead of countered with an intelligent response, the comments are made.

YellowPages and WhitePages are not out of business because of Google for example, so there is no intelligence in suggesting "text only contact information has no value". Intelligence bashing when you don't have a valid counterpoint is not intelligent conversation. Acro bashes or counters everything, valid or not, intelligent counterpoint or not ...

Acro is perfectly capable of intelligent response, when he actually has one ... :red:

No one suggested otherwise.

Let me know if any of the dashed keywords on http://tel-buy.com sell for 100,000 EUR.

As if that's expected .... duh. Figure it why it's listed like that if you're so intelligent ... :hehe:

•••
Quote:
Because 100% of the information on .tel profiles can already be easily found elsewhere should the contact choose to make it available.
No, it can't.
This thread is so well known for these shallow replies.

This could lead one to believe the pumpers don't have anything intelligent to counter with, so they limit replies to no-substance "You are wrong!" type statements time and time again.

•••
You bore me to tears. Literally. You have no valid answers to questions.

I hope you like the basic white of the .tel templates and the purple button up top, because they are there to stay for a long time.

For the rest of us, development consists of everything else that you can't have on a .tel. Instead of trying to invent creative insults, spend some time calculating what are the odds of .tel becoming a viable TLD.

Hint: you have better odds winning the Lotto.

Including me. When it came to the VALID points being bashed instead of countered with an intelligent response, the comments are made.

YellowPages and WhitePages are not out of business because of Google for example, so there is no intelligence in suggesting "text only contact information has no value". Intelligence bashing when you don't have a valid counterpoint is not intelligent conversation. Acro bashes or counters everything, valid or not, intelligent counterpoint or not ...

Acro is perfectly capable of intelligent response, when he actually has one ... :red:

No one suggested otherwise.

As if that's expected .... duh. Figure it why it's listed like that if you're so intelligent ... :hehe:

•••
Quote:

This thread is so well known for these shallow replies.

This could lead one to believe the pumpers don't have anything intelligent to counter with, so they limit replies to no-substance "You are wrong!" type statements time and time again.

Hey Genius, read the thread. The shallow reply was in keeping with the shallow basher statement.

DUH :lol:

... try using both brain cells next time ! :cy:

Yes, you can.

•••
Hey Genius, read the thread. The shallow reply was in keeping with the shallow basher statement.

DUH :lol:

... try using both brain cells next time ! :cy:

Yes, you can.

Classic Telster attack. This type of commentary is totally unnecessary and creates a negative impression on the entire TelePump™ Crew. IMO. (:talk:)

•••
Just catching up on my reading! 'Worth taking a minute or two to review. Maybe a few minutes more if you have assets to protect.

DISCLAIMER: The questions, scenarios and examples, if any, depicted in this posting are purely hypothetical and raised to gain a better understanding of the laws and regulations pertaining to forums and acceptable blog and forum postings on the internet. Any similarity to any person, living or dead or to any scenario, event, action, or event is merely coincidental. This is NOT legal and/or financial advice and should NOT be relied on as such. Contact an attorney and/or accountant for specific legal and/or financial questions pertaining to your own circumstances.

Last edited:
•••
Honestly, I would LOVE to see some success with .tel. As a domainer & developer: if there are things that will make my job easier, better or make a different way to approach things, I am ALL for it!

But nobody has shown me anything but theories of how things could work. plaggypig, got anything to show where people are doing well with .tel? Frankly, it's what I have been waiting on this whole time but all I get in return is a bunch of hot air and puff.

Hmmm... this extension is less than 6 months old... I think it is progressing in the right direction, but will need a little more time. I think it is unreasonable to expect incredible stats/results at this stage of the game.. no matter what the extension! With a new extension, it has to be mostly theoretical in the beginning because it is something totally new. Stop being unrealistic.

•••
Classic Telster attack. This type of commentary is totally unnecessary and creates a negative impression on the entire TelePump™ Crew. IMO. (:talk:)
They may not capable of anything better, and I mean that as respectfully as possible.

I would like to think the Telsters are intelligent domainers and developers who are trying to exploit a new TLD by pumping and dumping, but the contents of this thread paint a much different picture.

•••
Hmmm... this extension is less than 6 months old... I think it is progressing in the right direction, but will need a little more time. I think it is unreasonable to expect incredible stats/results at this stage of the game.. no matter what the extension! With a new extension, it has to be mostly theoretical in the beginning because it is something totally new. Stop being unrealistic.

Sounds like a .mobi enthusiast post about .mobi 6 months after it came out. The similarities between that extension and .tel in terms of how things have progressed and people's reactions to it are mind boggling. The problem is if I were a .tel enthusiast and look at what .mobi is now, I would not want .tel to share the same fate, but again what .tel needs is widespread adoption, and I just don't see it happening - sorry.

•••
I think it is progressing in the right direction, but will need a little more time.

This is the same argument that the .TV pumpsters have been trying to make for years. The reality is that the .TEL extension HAS failed. The founder of Namepros has stated unequivocally that this extension WILL fail. I guess that's not enough weight for you guys.

Move on and cut your losses. Unbind your .TEL chains and absorb the positive .COM energy radiating from above. Join the others in the DDRP (domainer denial rehab program) and get a fresh start. The aftermarket is bubbling with great deals on aged .COMs as we speak. IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like a .mobi enthusiast post about .mobi 6 months after it came out. The similarities between that extension and .tel in terms of how things have progressed and people's reactions to it are mind boggling. The problem is if I were a .tel enthusiast and look at what .mobi is now, I would not want .tel to share the same fate, but again what .tel needs is widespread adoption, and I just don't see it happening - sorry.

You may be right.. Or, you may be wrong... guess we will have to wait and see... I don't mind losing a few bucks on a "shot"..you won't make big money if you don't take a "shot" once in awhile... this applies to .com also!

Thing is, I'm not at all convinced that this extension will completely fail as a few naysayers have been continually suggesting.. Is this because I'm invested in it, and can't bear to lose my money and will keep beating a dead horse? Of course not! I just don't feel that it's had it's fair shake yet. New apps are being developed and improved daily. The .tel team listens to suggestions and has been making changes and improving .tel with the help of this forum and others... Has any other extension ever done this?

I'm not trying to "pump" anything... what's the point of that anyways? Is it going to make all of my neighbours all of a sudden start typing in .tel names because somebody on Namepros said it was a great extension? The answer is no. Conversely, for all the people in this forum who don't like .tel, I don't think your comments will sway Public Joe's opinion either, all it is doing is making this thread a complete joke. Everybody here pretty much knows what everybody else's opinion is. Anyone who is new to this thread and seriously wants to learn about .tel should have read the thread from the beginning and will also know the different viewpoints. All of this recent banter is just cluttering the thread.

:td:

•••
This is the same argument that the .TV pumpsters have been trying to make for years. The reality is that the .TEL extension HAS failed. The founder of Namepros has stated unequivocally that this extension WILL fail. I guess that's not enough weight for you guys.

Move on and cut your losses. Unbind your .TEL chains and absorb the positive .COM energy radiating from above. Join the others in the DDP (domainer denial program) and get a fresh start. The aftermarket is bubbling with great deals on aged .COMs as we speak. IMO.

.TV is strong as ever and will continue to grow as long there is tv. The same with .Tel it will continue to grow as long there is mobile devices.

And may I add, as long as the money is coming out of my own pocket .Tel protesters shouldn't be worried of how I spend my money. We buy want we want simply because we can.

.Tel my not rock your world but it sure does mine. B-)

Stay positive.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back