Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"The Official .Tel Discussion Thread"

Someone needs to update the 1st post to alert others that this is for people who are Pro .tel only and any post with opposing views will be deleted.

•••
I deleted your posts because you continue to post
comments about people and their portfolio's, and what
they are trying to do with or to .tel - it's just going around and around!

It's not the appraisal or Showcase thread, which has been stated numerous times.

If you dislike .tel (which you have stated) fair enough, now move on.

Let people read the thread and draw their own conclusions, if you own a .tel
then know what your limitations are before you buy.
Which makes it user's choice at that point.

I am not done discussing what I have to say, and I find your suggestion to "move on" quite indicative of a pro-tel bias.

How do you assume I don't own .tel domains? I have more .tel domains than .mobi's.

Certain aspects of my posts are part of my "style". You want a live conversation, people that disagree set their points forth. That's part of an interactive forum, IMO.

•••
People say .tel no virus annoyed.
Network security cost none.
Right? No hacker? No worm? No horse?
Can provide small-sum payment application?
I trust .tel webpage eventhough small developer.

•••
"The Official .Tel Discussion Thread"

Someone needs to update the 1st post to alert others that this is for people who are Pro .tel only and any post with opposing views will be deleted.

Oh yeah, not to mention that any anti-pro .tel links in your sig will be deleted as well.

•••
This isn't a job interview, but whatever. In 2009 you waste your time trolling forums and writing bizarre blog posts about a service you claim to dislike, of which you became a consumer at the earliest possible opportunity.

I'd recommend pills.tel but I don't think it has the category you need.

Sorry, the troll is you and your lack of honesty towards the domain community. .tel pusher comes to mind.

But come on, have a full disclosure e.g. who do you work for? *cough*telnic*cough*

•••
I am not done discussing what I have to say, and I find your suggestion to "move on" quite indicative of a pro-tel bias.

How do you assume I don't own .tel domains? I have more .tel domains than .mobi's.

Certain aspects of my posts are part of my "style". You want a live conversation, people that disagree set their points forth. That's part of an interactive forum, IMO.

I didn't assume anything it was a general comment.

As stated in PM
The size or type of someone's portfolio does not benefit .tel
one way or the other. Does it?? Yet you made it a point to comment
on it. Which in turn was against another member. NOT .TEL

Talk all you want about .tel

and for the record...I am not "Pro" or "Anti" anything!

•••
and for the record...I am not "Pro" or "Anti" anything!

I hope not and I hope it wasn't you who abused your mod status. Because somebody sure deleted mine and Acroplex's signatures to a tel site with an opposing viewpoint on the pro .tel

•••
I hope not and I hope it wasn't you who abused your mod status. Because somebody sure deleted mine and Acroplex's signatures to a tel site with an opposing viewpoint on the pro .tel

I don't have the power to delete sigs...

•••
Hereby lies the problem.

Our .tel folks here NEVER address the issues: .tel links to more text links to a list of ...more text links is NOT development.

Yet, I hear the same drivel every time from guys like plaggypig.

Now you're asking me to stop making anti-tel posts. Where is the balance? I present facts, then all I hear back is scorn from the .tel gang. I have *no* problem debating.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

I don't have the power to delete sigs...

No, that was not done by you. It was Jennifer - who owns a sizable .tel portfolio and runs a .tel "for sale" website advertised in her sig. And that was indicative of the issues here. I've known RJ since 2001. He needs to do something about the lack of fair balance in conversations.

•••
Honestly, I would LOVE to see some success with .tel. As a domainer & developer: if there are things that will make my job easier, better or make a different way to approach things, I am ALL for it!

But nobody has shown me anything but theories of how things could work. plaggypig, got anything to show where people are doing well with .tel? Frankly, it's what I have been waiting on this whole time but all I get in return is a bunch of hot air and puff.

Last edited:
•••
But come on, have a full disclosure e.g. who do you work for? *cough*telnic*cough*

Your accusatory style is part of the reason why you have no credibility. It is why your posts are deleted, not because of any moderator bias. Signatures that link to other forums are prohibited, which would be why a mod stepped in to remove it. Any fair minded person can recognise these things.

I also note that whenever you get into difficulty a couple of familiar names seem to reappear.

You don't like the concept behind .tel - fine, we've heard you a thousand times now, just forget about it and move on to things you do like that are worth the investment of your time.

•••
*I* have no credibility? LMAO
Says who?

Do you know who I am, what I've done, how many domains I've sold? Not that I need to explain it to you or others, but FFS drop the trolling, kiddo.

Poor plaggypig.

My posts get deleted because people like you jump in to scream "rape" when they cannot stand the heat of responding to valid questions.

My concept of .tel is exactly what I say it is: a TLD that cannot be developed.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

just forget about it and move on to things you do like that are worth the investment of your time.

Hey, this is not your "I love .tel" thread, it's a general thread discussing .tel, so telling me to move on sounds pretty ballsy. And you evade the question yet again. Do you work as a TelNic programmer, plaggypig?

•••
Plaggypig, I was referring to the wonderful ASCII output of .tel domains on your computer screen.

You can do ASCII art with .tel domains. Finally one creative use of the extension :bingo:

In 3-5 years, the naysayers will either look like geniuses, or else someone with little foresight....
Thanks but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
In 3 years it will be 2012, the sunrise domains will begin to drop as their initial 3-year term is over. With 3 years ? telnic don't have faith that people will renew ?

•••
Do you know who I am,

No.

Acroplex said:
Do you work as a TelNic programmer, plaggypig?

No.

Now let me ask a few questions that have been put to you many times without being addressed; how many .tel domains do you currently own, how many other extensions did you secure acro-related names in, and how many .tel domains did you try (and fail) to buy at landrush?

•••
No. Now let me ask a few questions that have been put to you many times without being addressed; how many .tel domains do you currently own, how many other extensions did you secure acro-related names in, and how many .tel domains did you try (and fail) to buy at landrush?

That has nothing to do with the uber failure of .tel......Still waiting on those good .tel examples that everyone has been talking about......Would any pro-tellers care to post their projects so I can see working examples of how .tel can be useful besides a link directory?

Last edited:
•••
No more criticism of .TEL from those that "don't like" the extension? This is a 180 degree turn from what was discussed when this thread was merged with the 'showcase' thread.

If critical discussion of .TEL and its numerous & glaring weaknesses are excluded and forbidden, this thread will become nothing more than a breeding ground for .TEL hype-meisters™ (:santa:) spinning their incoherent web of rubbish to enhance their own 'investment' in the extension.

With all due respect, I think if people "who don't like .TEL" or now excluded, the title of the thread should be changed to something like "The Official .TEL Showcase and PumpFest™ Thread. IMHO. :gl:

•••
Now let me ask a few questions that have been put to you many times without being addressed; how many .tel domains do you currently own, how many other extensions did you secure acro-related names in, and how many .tel domains did you try (and fail) to buy at landrush?

I own less than 10 .tel domains, of which 2 were secured for others. As I said at my blog, I registered these 2 as gimmick gifts for associates; including my CPA. And I explained also, that despite doing so in order for them to have a shorthand for their obscure .com/.net web sites, the .tel's failed to rank anywhere near the top in Google. That is proof that .tel fails to compete with other TLDs for a major expected function of a domain: search engine ranking.

I register my name and trademark in every non-ccTLD. My domain investment in .tel stopped at the point that it was made clear - and not openly so - by TelNic, that .tel cannot be hosted or developed. Other than that, I registered a handful of .tel domains to experiment with.

For more reference, visit my blog at Acro.net - Technology Rants & Raves by Acroplex® and do a search for ".tel" to locate the 5-7 detailed posts I've made since before .tel went live.

•••
Are you serious? A couple hundred thousand plus names acquired by 'lower end users “This is an insightful fact that certainly was thoroughly investigated. When you get a chance please post where you found this information. I am certain many here besides me would also like to know.
There is no way of knowing this, but my gut feeling tells me that an extremely high percentage are owned by domainers. This is based on my observation that a surprising number of domainers in this thread alone each own hundreds of them. I have seen at least two portfolios with 1,000+, one of which was mostly TM violations. Also factor in that massive .tel showcase thread that was closed months ago.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

First of all .ws has nothing on .Tel
That comment of mine was about landing pages. Nobody in their right mind directs traffic to a .tel if they have the ability to design a decent landing page.

•••
Exactly. Unfortunately, a lot of these investors were not aware of the pitfalls of .tel - others simply rode the wave registering every keyword under the sun. This *might* work with any TLD that you can develop or at least, park for revenue.

Tell me, what do you do with banana.tel or http://coconut.tel

Answer: you wait for them to expire.

At least this guy did something fun: http://frisbee.tel

But not making money out of domains, isn't fun.

Oh look, it's http://sausage.tel - http://lettuce.tel sure looks green.

I wanted my local police department number so I went to http://police.tel and found some French merde!

Last edited:
•••
Once the Official Telpages Directory is launched, and promoted, the SUB-directories will see traffic.

This is of course no different than the "Internet" as it started.

Search Engines caused a BOOM of Domain Name Purchases and Websites. Most were "crappy" to say the least in the beginning, but over time, the BOOK known as "Google or Yahoo!" was a major hit.
The difference is that search engines and directories in the 90's provided access to information that was otherwise extremely difficult to find. Altavista, Lycos, HotBot, Excite, Dogpile, etc... not only opened things up for website operators, they were also game changers for the transfer of information for users.

Is Telpages going to be a game changer for contact information? No, it's not. Because 100% of the information on .tel profiles can already be easily found elsewhere should the contact choose to make it available.

Individuals and tiny businesses may fall outside of that, but they mean little to domainers. The people who matter to us do not have the same need for Telpages that they did for search engines in the 90's.

So don't expect a contact method game changer.

•••
•••
•••
Do you know who I am, what I've done, how many domains I've sold?

Actually, no, I don't.

Who are you?

What have you done?

How many domains have you sold?

You opened the door on this one, so the stealth strategy is not really applicable here. Your activity in this thread has been anything but stealth like.:hehe:

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what would you consider to be the top 25 domain names from your portfolio? If you'd contribute to this thread by answering the very questions you raised, I might actually learn something. Thanks.

•••
Actually, no, I don't.

Who are you?

What have you done?

How many domains have you sold?

You opened the door on this one, so the stealth strategy is not really applicable here. Your activity in this thread has been anything but stealth like.:hehe:

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what would you consider to be the top 25 domain names from your portfolio? If you'd contribute to this thread by answering the very questions you raised, I might actually learn something. Thanks.

I'm not going to answer every question simply to satisfy your curiosity, when you can't admit that .tel registrations are a waste of money.

Here's a little taste though.

I've sold more than 1,250 domains since 2000. My portfolio contains roughly the same number of domains, mainly single word dictionary com/net/org domains & two word compound .coms

Have had several $xx,xxx sales of domains since 2005, including the highest price ever paid for a NNN .org earlier this year - that was 360.org. My specialty is locating domains with end-user potential. Several of my sales took the ROI from a cost of $xx to a $x,xxx sale.

When I talk about something, I know what I'm talking about - not out of spite, but because that's the way it is.

•••
I own less than 10 .tel domains, of which 2 were secured for others. As I said at my blog, I registered these 2 as gimmick gifts for associates; including my CPA. And I explained also, that despite doing so in order for them to have a shorthand for their obscure .com/.net web sites, the .tel's failed to rank anywhere near the top in Google. That is proof that .tel fails to compete with other TLDs for a major expected function of a domain: search engine ranking.

Okay, but you skipped the million dollar question. How many names did you apply for but fail to win at landrush?

Unless Google decides to treat .tel differently then why wouldn't you expect to have to work at your rankings in exactly the same way you would for any other TLD, i.e. target your keywords carefully, get decent backlinks, etc.?

Acroplex said:
I register my name and trademark in every non-ccTLD.

Your excuse about defending your trademark doesn't make much sense in light of the fact acroplex.name and acroplex.jobs are both still available, so too are acroplex.me and acroplex.tv - not strictly gTLDs but it's fair to say they're widely regarded as such. Most people don't even make a distinction.

For more reference, visit my blog at Acro.net - Technology Rants & Raves by Acroplex® and do a search for ".tel" to locate the 5-7 detailed posts I've made since before .tel went live.

I've read them all.

--

I don't understand how you can keep a straight face and be so persistent arguing about all the things .tel is explicitly not designed for, and yet buy 10 of them, blog half a dozen rants, set up the telsucks.com forum (for which you even bought paid advertising on ChefPatrick.com, right?), and keep up with this forum thread discussion.

There are many, many things that I think are rubbish, but I don't waste my time or money on them. I can't think of any other way to say it, but you need to get a life.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back