IT.COM

status-cantfix-or-wontfix The right to request your own content deleted

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should NamePros action your request to delete your content (that has not been replied to)?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    77.3%
  • No

votes
    22.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

LucidDomains

LucidDomains.comTop Member
Impact
I find it quite annoying that NamePros will not delete content I have posted on the forum even if that content has not been replied to by anyone else.

" Sorry but it is against NamePros policy to remove content from discussion forum unless it violates a rule. No rule violations where found. "

I totally understand if my content was replied to, then that becomes part of the forum and cannot be deleted, I get that. But if you post something and no one has replied to it, you should have that right to request that post/thread to be deleted.

It's a bit like how Google is now giving you the "right to be forgotten" by deleting their search history for you, on request.

We should have the right to request content (that has not been replied to) to be deleted too.

If anyone feels the same way, please show your support.

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I find it quite annoying that NamePros will not delete content I have posted on the forum even if that content has not been replied to by anyone else.

" Sorry but it is against NamePros policy to remove content from discussion forum unless it violates a rule. No rule violations where found. "

I totally understand if my content was replied to, then that becomes part of the forum and cannot be deleted, I get that. But if you post something and no one has replied to it, you should have that right to request that post/thread to be deleted.

It's a bit like how Google is now giving you the "right to be forgotten" by deleting their search history for you, on request.

We should have the right to request content (that has not been replied to) to be deleted too.

If anyone feels the same way, please show your support.

Thank you.

Well to be fair Google did not volunteer to give anyone that right. The E.U. has threatened them for two years to make this happen. http://www.thedomains.com/?s=right+to+be+forgotten

I think that eventually websites will be challenged either legally or through sanctions. IMO only a matter of time, no way and entity could say this is only a burden for Google.

•••
"At the time" - which implies, it's certainly possible to be reviewed/amended in the future.

There's no harm in asking around? Maybe my views are just one in a million, or not.

•••
Well to be fair Google did not volunteer to give anyone that right. The E.U. has threatened them for two years to make this happen. http://www.thedomains.com/?s=right+to+be+forgotten

I think that eventually websites will be challenged either legally or through sanctions. IMO only a matter of time, no way and entity could say this is only a burden for Google.

If someone brought a legal challenge to get their posts deleted from NamePros would you then oblige?

Does it really take someone to go full legal mode, to ask to be forgotten.

In this increasing digital age, NamePros should definitely at least consider reviewing their ToS and policy on this matter.

•••
If someone brought a legal challenge to get their posts deleted from NamePros would you then oblige?

Does it really take someone to go full legal mode, to ask to be forgotten.

In this increasing digital age, NamePros should definitely at least consider reviewing their ToS and policy on this matter.

Me ? I cannot oblige I don't own Namepros. I do believe it would take a legal challenge.

•••
Me ? I cannot oblige I don't own Namepros. I do believe it would take a legal challenge.

Wasn't directed at you personally, just NamePros in general.

I don't need or want all my content deleted, I just wanted one post deleted but whether it be one post or all posts, I do hope NamePros' Management considers adding in a process of some kind.

Times are changing, those who adapt, survive and I certainly want NP to survive.

Last edited:
•••
From our Terms of Service (emphasis added):
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

There are several non-obvious issues that complicate deletion of content. While this policy may be a minor inconvenience in some cases, it mitigates a variety of potentially serious issues, promotes transparency and accountability, and offers vital protections to members in certain situations.

•••
Times are changing, those who adapt, survive and I certainly want NP to survive.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. Ok.....turn off the dramatics.

#1 - NamePros isn't Google. You are comparing apples to oranges. Google indexes information on a max scale. NamePros posts information posted by users.

#2 - You can edit your posts.

#3 - This can be easily solved by carefully thinking before you post. Judging by some of your posts you need to put that into practice more often.

#4 - In addition to what Eric posted here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-right-to-request-your-own-content-deleted.959533/#post-5631209 even if NamePros deleted the thread there could still be an archive in Google cache and archive.org

•••

#1 - NamePros isn't Google. You are comparing apples to oranges. Google indexes information on a max scale. NamePros posts information posted by users.

#2 - You can edit your posts.

#3 - This can be easily solved by carefully thinking before you post. Judging by some of your posts you need to put that into practice more often.

#4 - In addition to what Eric posted here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-right-to-request-your-own-content-deleted.959533/#post-5631209 even if NamePros deleted the thread there could still be an archive in Google cache and archive.org

I might be dramatic fair enough but even the E.U. is fighting for this right. It's clear to see which camp you're in though.

#1 - Apples and Oranges are both fruit and in this case, both online websites.

#2 - You cannot edit your posts in certain parts of the forum, some parts have reduced time limits. Regardless, this right of deletion stems from the fact, if you want your posts deleted or your account closed (with your content removed), there should be a clause to do that, even if it's years later.

#3 - I wonder if the big bully of Google said that to E.U. in the school playground? Did you think E.U. shed a tear, nope they just kept on pushing hard for 2 years.

#4 - If you go searching for something you will find it eventually. It's doesn't mean it has to be on page 1 of Google.

•••
From our Terms of Service (emphasis added):

There are several non-obvious issues that complicate deletion of content. While this policy may be a minor inconvenience in some cases, it mitigates a variety of potentially serious issues, promotes transparency and accountability, and offers vital protections to members in certain situations.

I once read a terms of service that said by clicking here you will agree to give us $10,000,000 and your first born child. :-o

I get your points though and I actually agree with them mostly despite what you have read in this thread. Obviously you could employ a deletion timer. "thank you for your request to close your account and delete your content. your content will be deleted in one year from today." That might mitigate certain issues at least.

End of the day, I don't want all my posts deleted, I just wanted one post in the discussion area of the forum in a thread that I started, which 'hasn't had any replies' to be deleted. In this particular case do you see any potentially serious issues? I don't think so. Should my request be at least CONSIDERED instead of an outright 'no rule violation, sorry goodbye'. Yes.

Last edited:
•••
End of the day, I don't want all my posts deleted, I just wanted one post in the discussion area of the forum in a thread that I started, which 'hasn't had any replies' to be deleted.

Then why start this thread in the first place with your "dramatic" arguments? Most of what you brought up has nothing to do with one another.

It's clear to see which camp you're in though.

The logical side. Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me the bad guy.

Present logical statements and relevant information that are actually more than your 1 post regret and then maybe I will "rally" for your request.

Remember, you are the one making polls and trying to "rally the troops" against your cause. Not me.

•••
Then why start this thread in the first place with your "dramatic" arguments? Most of what you brought up has nothing to do with one another.

The logical side. Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me the bad guy.

Present logical statements and relevant information that are actually more than your 1 post regret and then maybe I will "rally" for your request.

Remember, you are the one making polls and trying to "rally the troops" against your cause. Not me

No offence, but everyone else in this thread so far understands my point. If you don't "get it" that's your issue, however a lot of intelligent people above you in this thread and those who've voted, have got it and have replied/voted accordingly. It just seems you want to start a fight with me no reason. I'm not trying to rally the troops, if you think I'm coming across dramatic, that's your opinion, not fact. As far as I'm concerned, you have three options here:

1. Agree with me
2. Disagree with me
3. Ignore this thread totally.

But what you are trying to do is:

4. Disagree and then also attack Lucid's character.

If you have something else constructive to say, either for or even against my points, please say it, otherwise I wish you the best of luck.

•••
Not sure why this is coming up when essentially the same arguments got covered in an earlier thread - I don't need to repeat what I said there about edit limits protecting us all: https://www.namepros.com/threads/sh...t-in-the-discussion-area.947459/#post-5536159

But about Google and the misnamed right-to-be-forgotten: you have to make a case to them about why a third party's content is inaccurate and harmful and then Google can remove that from search results, but just in your country, and the original third party content stays public. For example if searches kept turning up old press reports of your arrest - when in fact you had later won an - unpublicised - case for wrongful arrest.

•••
As far as I'm concerned, you have three options here:

1. Agree with me
2. Disagree with me
3. Ignore this thread totally.

What rules am I breaking not adhering to your three options? Please post me the link.

I wasn't even going to say anything until you posted the following:

I don't need or want all my content deleted, I just wanted one post deleted but whether it be one post or all posts

None of that makes sense.

#3 - I wonder if the big bully of Google said that to E.U. in the school playground? Did you think E.U. shed a tear, nope they just kept on pushing hard for 2 years.

:-/ lol.....what the heck are you talking about? :guilty:

If you have something else constructive to say, either for or even against my points, please say it, otherwise I wish you the best of luck.

What points? The only thing you said is you "find it quite annoying". That's it. Everything else was just examples.

Don't worry. I'm done posting here. I'm not trying to argue.

Maybe I was being sarcastic here and there but definitely not argumentative. I understand now you don't want to hear from people who disagree.

Good luck with your request.

Last edited:
•••
What rules am I breaking not adhering to your three options? Please post me the link.

Judging by some of your posts you need to put that into practice more often.

I took offense to both of these comments therefore you are in option 4: disagreeing + insulting the thread starter.

None of that makes sense.

None of that makes sense to you.

I'll try and explain what happen here. Sometimes in threads, you can be talking about different topics with different people at the same time. For example this thread is all about the deleting of one post that has not been replied to. I got my answer in the first reply by @Eric Lyon, but @equity78 then replied about something specific to the E.U. directive that I mentioned, which then lead me to reply to him specifically, which can be done by quoting the individual, in this case, if you scroll up I quoted his post and replied to his comment.

Specifically E.U. brought a legal challenge to Google and won after 2 years. The "Right to be Forgotten" is a directive that certain data can be removed from Google's indexing, which I used as an analogy for my case in the first post. @equity78 confirmed that it would probably take a legal challenge at NamePros at the very least for something similar to occur here. i.e.. if someone wanted one or more of their posts deleted.

The internet has been around for 30 odd years. I implied by the "Times are changing" comment that the E.U. are putting their foot down, reforming the rules which govern websites and search engines alike. Governments have ever more power to control their citizens' internet in their jurisdictions. If websites do not move with the times, follow the rules of law in those particular jurisdictions, its certainly possible they can be blocked. It's those websites that "adapt, survive".

Now if E.U. brought a law into effect very similar to the "Right to be Forgotten" which governs all forums. After a number of years, it's certainly possible that a forum could be blocked in the E.U. for not following E.U. law.

Would NP then agree to the jurisdiction's laws of that particular member? Who knows? May be they would be happy not operating in E.U. at all. I would hope it's not the latter as that would be a massive blow to the world's best domaining forum and I for one "certainly want to NP to survive".

:-/ lol.....what the heck are you talking about? :guilty:

As I said before the E.U. fought for the right to have certain data removed from Google. Google laughed in their faces and said no. Google might even have said further childish comments like what you said above to me. I used the analogy of a school playground, Google the bully and E.U the little kid. After 2 years the little kid had the last laugh and won the legal challenge.

Don't worry. I'm done posting here. I'm not trying to argue.

Maybe I was being sarcastic here and there but definitely not argumentative. I understand now you don't want to hear from people who disagree.

Good luck with your request.

I don't mind disagreement. What I dislike is childish insults and thread derailment.

Anything else?

Let us know. I'm standing by eagerly to address your issues.

Last edited:
•••
#1 - Apples and Oranges are both fruit and in this case, both online websites.
Both are fruit, yet they look, feel, and taste different - which was the point of that phrase - NP is not like Google in many ways even though are both online websites.

#2 - You cannot edit your posts in certain parts of the forum, some parts have reduced time limits. Regardless, this right of deletion stems from the fact, if you want your posts deleted or your account closed (with your content removed), there should be a clause to do that, even if it's years later.
I can totally understand why some circumstances bring about a want for this, but you have to consider that forums are full of discussions and useful info, and if users started getting their info deleted, it would affect other users and the discussions.

Say someone starts a thread, very interesting and 20 pages of discussion, of which you sunk your teeth into the debate. If the user who started it suddenly wanted to have their content deleted, how would the forum do this? Have a blank starting post and all other posts removed from that user? Then you have to consider people who've quoted that user (all a great deal of work to unpin).
Or do you just remove the thread entirely?

Either way, it's a loss of content, and you and others who debated in that example thread would likely be annoyed your discussions and references you want to go back to are suddenly gone just because of another user. Even if just that users content, it's likely discussions would become lost without their content. One sided conversations etc.

#4 - If you go searching for something you will find it eventually. It's doesn't mean it has to be on page 1 of Google.
Sorry if I skipped some posts, but is this about something you posted being 1st result on Google that you'd rather not be there?

It's a public forum. You willingly create an account, go to a thread, type some text, and click "submit". If you don't want your content on the forums, don't click submit.

I'm sure if there is some really valid reason (sensitive data or whatever) staff would remove it, as long as not frequent of course, then you should be more careful. I imagine only extreme circumstances though (copyright infringement or something)

Last edited:
•••
Hey thanks for the contribution to the thread.

Both are fruit, yet they look, feel, and taste different - which was the point of that phrase - NP is not like Google in many ways even though are both online websites

Yes okay. All I'll say is the internet is only around 25 years old and as it evolves, I wouldn't be surprised if some governing organisation recommends something similar for all websites to comply with. It might take 5 years, 10 years or might never happen. We'll see.

I can totally understand why some circumstances bring about a want for this, but you have to consider that forums are full of discussions and useful info, and if users started getting their info deleted, it would affect other users and the discussions.

Say someone starts a thread, very interesting and 20 pages of discussion, of which you sunk your teeth into the debate. If the user who started it suddenly wanted to have their content deleted, how would the forum do this? Have a blank starting post and all other posts removed from that user? Then you have to consider people who've quoted that user (all a great deal of work to unpin).
Or do you just remove the thread entirely?

Either way, it's a loss of content, and you and others who debated in that example thread would likely be annoyed your discussions and references you want to go back to are suddenly gone just because of another user. Even if just that users content, it's likely discussions would become lost without their content. One sided conversations etc.

Absolutely, but this happens all the time. I take it you're not a regular reader of the VR thread? Half the posts are deleted or moved. Is it annoying a little bit, but the mods are doing it continuously every single day for all threads on this forum. Everyone just gets on with it and carries on.

Sorry if I skipped some posts, but is this about something you posted being 1st result on Google that you'd rather not be there?

It's a public forum. You willingly create an account, go to a thread, type some text, and click "submit". If you don't want your content on the forums, don't click submit.

I'm sure if there is some really valid reason (sensitive data or whatever) staff would remove it, as long as not frequent of course, then you should be more careful. I imagine only extreme circumstances though (copyright infringement or something)

My main point was about deleting content years later, it's not really about thinking before creating the account or making the posts.

Last edited:
•••
@james haw

Let me ask you a hypothetical question, lets say your NamePros account gets hacked and the hackers posts 10 random blogs entries for about 3 days before you notice. Entries about weight loss, herbal remedies and hair loss. Totally legitimate posts, not against the rules.

All your posts get comments, everyone is like, what the hell James? Why are you posting about this crap. We want to hear about domains.

Do you think it's fair to ask for your posts to be deleted and do you think it's fair if NamePros deleted these posts including the comments.

Last edited:
•••
I take it you're not a regular reader of the VR thread? Half the posts are deleted or moved. Is it annoying a little bit, but the mods are doing it continuously every single day. Everyone just gets on with it and carries on.
Ha! ironically, I was involved for a little while, and some discussions got side tracked, but kinda relevant, and my posts were deleted. I hated that. Fine if all everyone talks about in there is VR, but there are loads of "friendly" side discussions, many remain, mine was deleted. It's a mammoth thread, that's unavoidably.

So, no I don't want posts deleted, not even by mods for cleanup (unless they crap, pointless, or break rules) ;)

Although, I have to say, either we have mods deleting our content because they can based on reasons, and so we can ask for them to be removed too, or nothing is deleted. I know it';s their right, I do, but "do as I say not as I do" is a pet hate of mine :) (I know, they're just trying to keep the forums clean, and I'm being a pedantic SOB)

Last edited:
•••
Let me ask you a hypothetical question, lets say your NamePros account gets hacked and the hackers posts 10 random blogs entries for about 3 days before you notice. Entries about weight loss, herbal remedies and hair loss. Totally legitimate posts, not against the rules.

All your posts get comments, everyone is like, what the hell James? Why are you posting about this crap. We want to hear about domains.

Do you think it's fair to ask for your posts to be deleted and do you think it's fair if NamePros deleted these posts including the comments.
In that specific scenario I would ask for the posts to be removed based on the fact they were not mine. And I'd be surprised if NP didn't remove them. They'd see a different IP for those posts ;)

•••
In that specific scenario I would ask for the posts to be removed based on the fact they were not mine. And I'd be surprised if NP didn't remove them. They'd see a different IP for those posts ;)

1. What if each of the blogs entries create ~10 mini discussions between 20 other members in the comments section. Do you think it's fair to ruin those discussions by requesting the original posts deleted?

2. Lets say your IP was spoofed and it was impossible to prove it's wasn't you. Do you think NamePros should have your back and delete the posts.

•••
1. What if each of the blogs entries create ~10 mini discussions between 20 other members in the comments section. Do you think it's fair to ruin those discussions by requesting the original posts deleted?
In what would likely be a very rare scenario, I'm sure some manual intervention would be fine. Edit out content and leave the rest of the discussions in place.
I get your scenario, but it's entirely different. Your above scenario is a problem and should be resolved, wanting your own posts deleted is a feature request that has a great impact on the forums on a grand scale, many users, many threads, many quotes, etc etc. Not just one or two posts on a rare occasion ;)

2. Lets say your IP was spoofed and it was impossible to prove it's wasn't you. Do you think NamePros should have your back and delete the posts.
Your scenario is about as likely as a grossly overweight and ugly giraffe winning miss world 3 times in a row ;)

If someone knows my IP, and my logins to NP, and the ability to actually spoof my IP, I doubt their interests would be posting some crap in a forum under my name ;)

•••
Your scenario is about as likely as a grossly overweight and ugly giraffe winning miss world 3 times in a row ;)

If someone knows my IP, and my logins to NP, and the ability to actually spoof my IP, I doubt their interests would be posting some crap in a forum under my name ;)

In America I think most people have fixed IP addresses, correct me if I'm wrong, but in other countries like UK, we have dynamic IP i.e. IP changes every few days or whenever the router is rebooted. So your argument might be far fetched regarding you specifically, it might not be totally inconceivable to someone who doesn't have a fixed IP.

•••
In what would likely be a very rare scenario, I'm sure some manual intervention would be fine. Edit out content and leave the rest of the discussions in place.
I get your scenario, but it's entirely different. Your above scenario is a problem and should be resolved, wanting your own posts deleted is a feature request that has a great impact on the forums on a grand scale, many users, many threads, many quotes, etc etc. Not just one or two posts on a rare occasion ;)

Unfortunately a mod would reply "no rule violation". Unless being a regular blogger for them pulls some weight. :rolleyes:

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back