IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

McDuke

Top Member
Impact
Tired of annoying web extensions?

Wish it was a .com only world?

Feeling negative, cynical, grumpy, or you just want to join the fun?

Well here is the place for you.

The I Hate gTLD's Thread

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are other ways to track marketing campaigns, as companies have been doing.
Like I said, I would do it for offline advertising only. To track such a campaign, the options are limited. A unique domain name is one of the best techniques to do so, since it provides useful demographics about each visitor.

In the example being used, there is no benefit of a realestate.com, using real.estate. You actually posted you would used real.estate for online, even if owning realestate.com. Most businesses wouldn't do that.
We are all entitled to our opinions.

Edit: Just to clarify, none of my comments have been about value; they are about making bold moves that may or may not help a company stand out.

Last edited:
•••
I think the example real.estate doesn't make much sense as one doesn't think of breaking that word up. If its realestateclub.com vs. realestate.club I go for the second. But I am biased :) This is the real question though. As I stated in my opening post on this forum, nothing will ever come close to competing with .com. Its like suggesting silver will be more expensive than gold. It is technically possible but highly unlikely.

•••
The market for silver could explode if there is not enough gold to cater to many new people looking for value :)

Great job on the .club TLD ! I believe the awareness being created for .club and slowly other tlds will be positive for most of the others too.

•••
I think the example real.estate doesn't make much sense as one doesn't think of breaking that word up. If its realestateclub.com vs. realestate.club I go for the second. But I am biased :) This is the real question though. As I stated in my opening post on this forum, nothing will ever come close to competing with .com. Its like suggesting silver will be more expensive than gold. It is technically possible but highly unlikely.

I think real.estate makes perfect sense and is the shortest possible combo for these two words and will be the shortest combo, forever! :D

I agree realestate.club is better than realestateclub.com but adding realestate to .club seems silly imo.

Regarding the name realestate.club, what i think would be better is having estate.club then building the sub extension real.estate.club because it is then very memorable and easy to read with the dots.

Regarding extensions;

realestate.management
realestate.tips
realestate.news

etc, are awesome!

The trick when registering these new gTLDs is getting the most sensible premium combos because they are rare!

I do not own any .clubs but kudos to the .club guys for actually marketing! book.club, night.club, chess.club would be amazing domains to have. They are after all, the shortest domains with those keywords.... ;)

•••
Like I said, I would do it for offline advertising only. To track such a campaign, the options are limited. A unique domain name is one of the best techniques to do so, since it provides useful demographics about each visitor.
As JBL says, there are many better ways of doing this.

I think real.estate makes perfect sense and is the shortest possible combo for these two words and will be the shortest combo, forever! :D

Except it's a compound world. The domain is keyword "real" for the extension "estate" and it makes no sense. I don't see why anyone would register a .estate at all. Maybe in countries where subdivisions are also called estates?

Regarding the name realestate.club, what i think would be better is having estate.club then building the sub extension real.estate.club because it is then very memorable and easy to read with the dots.

Having domain name sub-domains is something that domainers always talk about but has very limited use. It's perfect for signing up users or sites on the fly (such as WordPress, Tumblr etc) but as a standalone domain to qualify something. Stupid.

I do not own any .clubs but kudos to the .club guys for actually marketing! book.club, night.club, chess.club would be amazing domains to have. They are after all, the shortest domains with those keywords.... ;)

Lots of fake value. Night.club, chess.club - great sounding domains but who would buy them for what purpose?
Most clubs have names, or regions. If you want to be informational about clubs there are other options.

ChessClub.Directory
ChessClub.info
ChessClub.Chicago
OrlandaoChessClub.org/net/com
ChessClub.guru :)
So what is compelling about chess.club? It's a club for chess.I just don't see the huge upside in most of these names. Night.Club? What would you do there? It's a bastardization of the NightClub.

The best domain I could think of was BabySeal.Club and it's taken.

.club is ok for people that want a site for their club. For investment it's total shit.

•••
•••
As JBL says, there are many better ways of doing this.

Oh? Do they involve penguin minions? :) But seriously, I'd like to hear them. Do share.

Last edited:
•••
could be many things …..other than honest about figures ……..bring on .123 (viva la revolution)

•••

Well, .archi is now in General Availability.

This one is puzzling; no self-respecting architect would want to see .archi at the right of the dot.

This is about as intuitive as .mobi.

The new gTLDs have enough of an uphill battle without using a strange truncated keyword.

What were they thinking?

•••

We'll see how GA it is:

Can anyone reserve a .ARCHI domain name?

No, .ARCHI domain names are reserved only for architects and their organizations. If you are a qualified licensed architect and are recognized by the UIA/UNESCO Charter then you are eligible to register a .ARCHI domain name.

I really wish that more of the gTLDs were managed... and I hope the ones that are will be. If I was an architect and found out that this ended up being squatted on by domainers I'd ask for my money back. The higher $ is supposed to include management.

•••

The new gTLDs have enough of an uphill battle without using a strange truncated keyword.

What were they thinking?
I'm guessing somebody must've got a little tect off

•••
I really wish that more of the gTLDs were managed.
The problem with managed TLDs (from the registry point of view) is that they are very slow to grow and even when they do grow, they incur more expenses for the registry. The problem for many of the new gTLDs at the moment is that there isn't any real confusion in the marketplace. There isn't any real awareness of these new gTLDs at all.

Regards...jmcc

•••
You mean I can't register jugheadand.archi if I'm not an architect? How am I supposed to set up my fansite now????

•••
What were they thinking?
They missed the launch of .PRO and thought that this would be a great idea? :) The interesting thing about the professions is that when the local ccTLD takes off, there is a major shift from .COM to the .ccTLD because many of these professions (architects, lawyers, accountants etc) are extremely local in terms of their market. The city gTLDs would be worth watching for signs of this kind of shift (.US being undermarketed and eclipsed by .COM in the US market).

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••

.com forever

The interesting thing about that video is that none of the kids knew what .com meant and none of them cared.

•••
The interesting thing about that video is that none of the kids knew what .com meant and none of them cared.
Most of the kids look like victims of fetal alcohol syndrome or worse, so it might not mean too much.

•••
IMO YouTube should stick to snuff videos using their own employee roster. But I digress.

(Which would be the Google "team" so even better.)

•••

This one is funny too and it is interesting the one kid trys to give voice commands.

and the other end, seeing the geezer reaction to new tech. now think about voice search not type in "hint hint", with new gtlds people will say joe dot shoes not joe shoes dot com when searching ;)

Last edited:
•••

This one is funny too and it is interesting the one kid trys to give voice commands.

and the other end, seeing the geezer reaction to new tech. now think about voice search not type in "hint hint" and with new gtlds people will say joe dot shoes not joe shoes dot com when searching ;)
people won't say . anything when searching. only if they are searching for a specific site would anyone do that.

•••
people won't say . anything when searching. only if they are searching for a specific site would anyone do that.

huh? I'm pretty sure you just ask a general question these days and you get options, No?

•••
huh? I'm pretty sure you just ask a general question these days and you get options, No?
my point was unless someone was searching for a specific site, why would they include .com or a "dot" in any kind of search? if they are searching for joe shoes, they'll type in or say joe shoes. if they know its on a .com or .ca or .whatever they might type that in but otherwise, why would they?

•••
my point was unless someone was searching for a specific site, why would they include .com or a "dot" in any kind of search? if they are searching for joe shoes, they'll type in or say joe shoes. if they know its on a .com or .ca or .whatever they might type that in but otherwise, why would they?

I think you're right, this is why the gtlds have validity because they are the shortest word combos available online. .com is a gtld, so why would people search for commercials in the future when they can search in the specific niche.

But when going to a specific extension they will just have to say "dot" not "dot com"

.com will be the main business extension for a couple more decades but the gtlds will have their day imo.

•••
As a faucet manager and producer, these gTlds have made my life easier :)

bitcoin.whatever is better for me than the-bitcoin-faucet-pro.com

•••
I think you're right, this is why the gtlds have validity because they are the shortest word combos available online. .com is a gtld, so why would people search for commercials in the future when they can search in the specific niche.

But when going to a specific extension they will just have to say "dot" not "dot com"

.com will be the main business extension for a couple more decades but the gtlds will have their day imo.

the pulic knowing .com aside, the biggest hurdle for new gtlds to make their way into the public eye is the registries selling them, hoarding the good ones for themselves, charged ridiculous premium renewals on second rate domains, etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back