Dynadot

news The Future of the Internet Belongs to India

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Zak Muscovitch, founder of DNAttorney.com and one of the key speakers at DomainX 2015 just published this article titled "The Future of the Internet Belongs to India."

"I found that the excitement and anticipation among Indians was palpable. India stands on the precipice of becoming the single most powerful force on the Internet. Peering over the shoulder of the USA and China in terms of current volume of Internet users, the numbers tell much of the tale. But the current volume of users alone does not reveal the entire story."

He concludes the article with this note:

"I see tremendous opportunity in India both for Indians, and for non-Indians who do business in and with India. In the Internet sector in particular, India is poised to become a world power, second to none. Given its dramatic year over year growth in Internet penetration, combined with its 1.3 billion person populace, young and educated workforce, and entrepreneurial spirit, I envision an Internet that will shortly be, to a substantial degree, run by and used by, Indians. That is why the future of the Internet belongs to India."

As an Indian I feel really proud to see that he has covered such deep insights about India's past and a look into the future.

Complete article may be found here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this is very interesting - as domainers how can we capitalise on this does everyone think? for example will the .in extension be worth investing in for the future?

•••
Excellent post, well researched and well written too!

•••
this is very interesting - as domainers how can we capitalise on this does everyone think? for example will the .in extension be worth investing in for the future?

.in will definitively grow in value!

•••
.in has a long road ahead, since it has been associated with spam for so many years. And it also has a ton of new TLDs to compete with.

And the article seems to forget about China? :P Along with all the developing South American countries. The article is laughable at best. The internet will always be representative of the world, and not a single nation. If it was, it wouldn't be the internet anymore.

•••
.in has a long road ahead, since it has been associated with spam for so many years. And it also has a ton of new TLDs to compete with.

And the article seems to forget about China? :P Along with all the developing South American countries. The article is laughable at best. The internet will always be representative of the world, and not a single nation. If it was, it wouldn't be the internet anymore.

.in is the cctld of India. Like .cn :)

•••
"The Future of the Internet Belongs to India."

"I found that the excitement and anticipation among Indians was palpable. India stands on the precipice of becoming the single most powerful force on the Internet. Peering over the shoulder of the USA and China in terms of current volume of Internet users, the numbers tell much of the tale.

I was referring to the article itself and not the TLD. The article undermines the fact that the internet consists of an international population.

•••
.in has a long road ahead, since it has been associated with spam for so many years.
Do you have some definitive stats on spam per TLD? I'd be really interested in seeing that info.

And it also has a ton of new TLDs to compete with.
In India the only competition for .IN is .COM and we all know those ain't cheap! ;)

•••
Do you have some definitive stats on spam per TLD? I'd be really interested in seeing that info.

In India the only competition for .IN is .COM and we all know those ain't cheap! ;)

Exactly!

•••
Sorry to say that but it's just a flattering.

Please don't release as an insult, but, this is another story for motivating a country and population like China/Chinese where big players gain from the low-cost human power.

•••
I think the future will belong to China. Look at how many .cn domains are registered in comparison to how many .in domains are available.

•••
I think the future will belong to China. Look at how many .cn domains are registered in comparison to how many .in domains are available.
Chinese are registering all NN NNN NNNN NNNNN LL LLL LLLL .cn That's a big number of registrations. I don't think it will be the same game for .in.

•••
In thriving economies everything can be found fast and nearby, so local city domain names is the best. Volume is important, but money and the different websites is going to be the label of best in my opinion. It's who manages best and have the best quality diverse products. I like my idea of local city domains(like .nyc) every approx. 500 miles, and then each one of these regions with its own search engine, then using the national the Global searches secondary. Most things are bought locally, we enjoy meeting our friends locally.
People will be using more sites this way too. If is adds up, perhaps the USA would have the most different websites and the happiest people, who cares at all about who is the riches or how much people are on it(Volume).

•••
Indian people like two extensions .com and .in
First choice is .com if it isn't available (most likely) they will go for .in

Recently i have sold 2 .in domains within 5 month of registrations (buyers from US and Italy)
and declined 2 offers on 2 different .INs now previous year i had 50+ .IN domains and and received 0 offers. I dropped like 30 domains. so every year it's growing and within 2 year it will track more attraction.

If you compare .in with new gtld i must say .IN is lot better.

Last edited:
•••
would be interesting to see what type of domains sell well with a .in extension - would imagine its the tech stuff out there

•••
You can't lose with a commercial single word .in - assuming you get it at the right price.

I doubt you can hand register much of good value, but sometimes you'd be surprised with what is available.

I dropped a TON of .in domains, regret it now, almost all of my drops have been registered.

•••

I never said any TLD carried a higher rate of spam. I just said that .in has been associated with it in the past, and anyone who has tried to sell a .in in the past has probably experienced that issue. If you haven't experienced any negativity towards .in, then that's great.

I think the future will belong to China.

Once again, I'm going to say that the "future of the internet" will not belong to any single nation. The future of the internet will depend on the global economy, and how well nations interact with each other. That's going to be my opinion on this.

•••
Hailing from India, I mostly see .com websites here and that is because they ( good and catchy ones) were available so far. The way all the domain names have been taken away in the last 4-5 years, I don't think that .com would be available anymore (hand-reg) for many Indians to register. And, then they would have no other option but to go along with .in or buy .com domain at a very hefty prices. With 1.3B population, it is surely going to jack up the prices of .in domain.

•••
do you think that is imminent or a longer term outcome?

•••
tough to answer. But, eventually, it has got to be there. My best guess would be 2-3 years.

•••
------------

Last edited:
•••
Hailing from India, I mostly see .com websites here and that is because they ( good and catchy ones) were available so far. The way all the domain names have been taken away in the last 4-5 years, I don't think that .com would be available anymore (hand-reg) for many Indians to register. And, then they would have no other option but to go along with .in or buy .com domain at a very hefty prices. With 1.3B population, it is surely going to jack up the prices of .in domain.

.in and Indian .com's :)

•••
Well, they had better ask the Chinese if they can use it first

•••
I regret dropping 5 3L.in couple of yr ago. Sold some 3Ls(lower than expected except for one) but now the market is getting busy.

•••
I regret dropping 5 3L.in couple of yr ago. Sold some 3Ls(lower than expected except for one) but now the market is getting busy.
Same thing happend with my LLL .co

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back