IT.COM

news India Has Surpassed The US And Is Number 2 To China...For Now!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I was reading this morning and came across a great article.
India is in the midst of a phenomenal internet boom. According to Mary Meeker's 2016 Internet trends report released in April 2016, India's Internet user growth rate is four times the global user growth rate. India now has 277 million Internet users surpassing the US and second only to China, the report says. Of course, there is plenty of room for growth given that only about 22 percent of the Indian market is penetrated. The number of web users in India is expected to see a twofold rise at 730 million by 2020 against 350 million at the end of 2015, according to 'The Future of Internet in India' report by Nasscom and Akamai Technologies.
Greater awareness and an orientation towards technology have an impact on online presence. According to a Zinnov report on the β€˜State of the Domain Name Industry in India,’ services & manufacturing enterprises are key segments buying domain name to establish online presence. Also, not surprisingly, states with a high penetration of internet users indicate a higher domain name adoption in the country. For example, Maharashtra, Delhi/NCR and Karnataka account for 38 percent of the registered domain names in India.

You can read the full article here:
http://bwdisrupt.businessworld.in/article/India-s-Growing-Internet-Penetration-and-the-Power-of-com/12-04-2017-116185/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
India is where the US was in 1999, I see similar trends going on. The boom in .IN is a matter of businesses understanding the value of online spending and growth in ecommerce, which by the way is just taking off, just like we went through starting around 1999. The next 10 years we probably saw the biggest rise in .com prices.

2017-2030 , I expect to see a dramatic increase in online spending in India which will drive online competition from all business, which will drive domain price growth for .in domains. Between Google.co.in, Amazon.in, Irctc.co.in and large popular websites, the dot .in tld receives over 1 billions visits a day. (Thats pretty rare company). So the traffic is there, the .in brand is solid and growing, the one factor we are waiting for is the actual SPEND online, which will come.

This isn't rocket science, we have seen this play out in many countries already, execpt India is a little different. English keywords will be huge in India

While the domaining industry has been distracted with these little new gtlds's, some of us have been focussed on .IN - something thats going to be around for a while
I can still remember a time here in the US when people thought I was crazy to try to leverage the internet as a source of new business. I think people forget that time. It was not all that long ago.

•••
Anyone who is not investing in .in will miss out big. The Indian internet infrastructure is being built out at a very, very fast pace and new users are coming online very quickly. Sure everyone likes .com they like .com in China and Germany and UK, but i'm pretty sure .cn, .de and .uk are very valuable. Many are online on mobiles so short domains are especially valuable. Being from Canada, when looking for products online I like to see .ca because I know the company is from Canada. When I see .com I assume it is in the US.

.in is a no brainer. If you can't see that, you are blind!

•••
Let me add and make this bold projection :

.IN with increasing traffic as a TLD will be in rare company with .COM and .CN . It will be the 3rd or even 2nd MOST VALUABLE TLD . For english keywords, it would definitely be the 2nd most valuable behind .COM .

Note: I have been invested in .COM since 1998 and .IN since 2005, so yes am biased.

Last edited:
•••
India is where the US was in 1999, I see similar trends going on. The boom in .IN is a matter of businesses understanding the value of online spending and growth in ecommerce, which by the way is just taking off, just like we went through starting around 1999. The next 10 years we probably saw the biggest rise in .com prices.

2017-2030 , I expect to see a dramatic increase in online spending in India which will drive online competition from all business, which will drive domain price growth for .in domains. Between Google.co.in, Amazon.in, Irctc.co.in and large popular websites, the dot .in tld receives over 1 billions visits a day. (Thats pretty rare company). So the traffic is there, the .in brand is solid and growing, the one factor we are waiting for is the actual SPEND online, which will come.

This isn't rocket science, we have seen this play out in many countries already, execpt India is a little different. English keywords will be huge in India, not that different from the US. How do I know this, have been running websites with traffic from India for over 15 yrs.

While the domaining industry has been distracted with these hypes or little new gtlds's, some of us have been focussed on .IN - something thats going to be around for a while :)
fully agree . INDIA is a raising nation on internet industry . long way to go , but a huge opportunity ahead for all internet companies in world to tap the traffic from India.. the quality of traffic is much lower standard than western world.. what can be expected in the early times of internet use.. traffic quality and spend also improve as competition grows..

•••
Anyone who is not investing in .in will miss out big. The Indian internet infrastructure is being built out at a very, very fast pace and new users are coming online very quickly. Sure everyone likes .com they like .com in China and Germany and UK, but i'm pretty sure .cn, .de and .uk are very valuable. Many are online on mobiles so short domains are especially valuable. Being from Canada, when looking for products online I like to see .ca because I know the company is from Canada. When I see .com I assume it is in the US.

.in is a no brainer. If you can't see that, you are blind!
to me blind, deaf and dumb also .. i am sorry i dont mean to hurt anyone, just sharing my opinion..

•••
•••
The authorities actually caught the guy that was the owner of the very large spam operation behind the IRS fraud.
That fraud wasさーvery real! I receive calls twice in within 10 mins becuz they want to be sure I pick up. . . Even telemarketers don't do that! ! :xf.eek:

•••
•••
so one cant reg a l.in or ll.in???
No, its not possible. they are the property of govt of India (NIXI.in) .. if they auction any private individual has an opportunity to buy these... until they auction no one can buy them and hence cant use them.. they are holding for past 12+ years .. its non profit organisation.. they dont care .. they have funds coming from govt of india and already a cash rich organisation with several million usd in bank .. now they are running 4 months tv promotion of .IN extension across India.. they can afford many such promotions easily

•••
There are opinions that the ownership dispute resolution for .IN names is heavily skewed toward the contesting parties.
This results in loses of names that respondents would nave no troubles to retain.

If this bias indeed exists, it questions the reasons for investing in .IN, particularly for those residing outside India.

•••
There are opinions that the ownership dispute resolution for .IN names is heavily skewed toward the contesting parties.
This results in loses of names that respondents would nave no troubles to retain.

If this bias indeed exists, it questions the reasons for investing in .IN, particularly for those residing outside India.
Based on what I have seen, the number of INDRP's is a very small number. Majority are obvious TM violations. However, I will admit that NIXI (Indian registry) has to continuously reform the INDRP process. Check out Our.in for some recent INDRP case histories to get an idea.

This is one of those concerns that have held valuations of .in back (atleast form domainer standpoint), improvements are going to strengthen the IN brand further.

•••
If they got rid of the burqa, maybe the Arabs could start to use facebook and catch them up. :)

•••

i agree with what @LeDomain added already.. if you really consider the number of disputes vs overall names its very small percengage over 870 plus disputes in 12+ years time on avg less than 70 per year.. also among those disputes around 98% are obvious trade mark violations such as dellshop or amazonshop ..etc only 2% of the disputes are the tricky ones where arbitrators need to apply the dispute policy rules. As the arbitrators are continuously dealing obvious trademark violations it has left a negative impression about all the respondents in addition to that INDRP maturity levels are lower as the number of respondents who files the response is lower , close to 1 to 2% . There are several other factors like the early days of 2005 or 2006 some guys had misused the INDRP that set bad precedent for the future disputes , however in recent months the decisions maturity is increasing and slowly its getting better.

a recent dispute decision is ruled in favour of the respondent - http://our.in/indrp-dispute-decision-review-jet-smarter-inc-vs-sandeep-sane/

Last edited:
•••
I am not completely up to date on this, maybe someone from India can chime in.
But I know that Indians are subject to tight foreign exchange restrictions, and that even using Paypal is difficult apparently. Basically, even companies have difficulty sending funds out of the country.

The biggest hindrance to sales could be the exchange controls.
I have sold a few .in but all buyers were foreign, never Indian. It seems to be the norm that .in domains are bought by non-Indians.

•••
I am not completely up to date on this, maybe someone from India can chime in.
But I know that Indians are subject to tight foreign exchange restrictions, and that even using Paypal is difficult apparently. Basically, even companies have difficulty sending funds out of the country.

The biggest hindrance to sales could be the exchange controls.
I have sold a few .in but all buyers were foreign, never Indian. It seems to be the norm that .in domains are bought by non-Indians.

Exchange controls is a good question that comes up often. India over the years has opened up its foreign currncy/exchange limits. Here is some recent info .from http://www.business-standard.com/ar...imits-before-going-abroad-115021401384_1.html

The limit is $250K per year, am sure large businesses don't have these restrictions based on business needs. However, it is still a scheme and you would have to request dollars under the scheme, that might be not be a big hurdle but still something to think about.

Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS): In addition to these limits there is a scheme known as Liberalised Remittance Scheme in force since 2004 which allows resident individuals to draw foreign exchange up to a specified limit. The remittance limits under LRS keep changing and under the present limit an individual can draw up to $250,000 per year for the transaction permissible under the scheme. Under this scheme, an individual can freely acquire and hold shares, debentures, units of mutual funds, venture capital funds, unrated debt securities, promissory notes or any other instrument of like nature. Further, the resident can invest in such securities out of the bank account opened abroad under the Scheme. He can also set up a company, enter into joint venture or buy immovable properties abroad provided the law of the host country allows such transactions. Apart from the above, this scheme allows an individual to make remittance as gift or loan to his relative abroad who is a non-resident Indian i.e. an Indian
Citizen who resides outside India. Further, where an individual has availed of a loan at a time when he was non-resident, he can take the benefit of this scheme to make remittance for repayment of loans.

Last edited:
•••
This is come to no surprise to me.. as it has around a billion people live there and they also have lots of talented IT people

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back