IT.COM

news The Domain Industry Is About To Change BIGTIME!!!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
The net could see its biggest transformation in decades if plans to open up the address system are passed.

The net's regulators will vote on Thursday to decide if the strict rules on so-called top level domain names, such as .com or .uk, can be relaxed.

If approved, it could allow companies to turn their brands into domain names while individuals could also carve out their own corner of the net.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7468855.stm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
PROXUS said:
IMHO this new extensions idea make some sense ....but only in case, where registration price is high enough, to limit interest to serious companies and application process is screened. It could help big corporations, if they really, really want their separate domain and/or run multilevel sites (.ebay, .apple, .microsoft, .bmw, .audi)
It will be more like .travel / .pro / ,museum (by the way... personally I never use those extensions)

For the regular players, it will mean nothing. People will always type .com up to the point where actual PR and quality of SEO will be more important than domain itself.

I don't see situation where chicago.com will be replaced with for example: start.chicago or home.chicago D-:

How about longer words like classifieds or realestate ? add prefix to that and you have a lot of typing :D

Personally I would be scared more about growing role of search engines than those exotic ideas made by ICANN. You could have PIZZA.com with PR1 and still loose in search engine with better developed NyPIZZA.net with PR7.
The time is coming where actual content will determine the value of the domain, not a name or extension.

New browsers like FF3 will help .anything

•••
These are the stock prices of Marchex, who owns over 200,000 domain names, mainly all .com, for the last 10 days:

06-16-08: 12.61
06-17-08: 12.53
06-18-08: 12.42
06-19-08: 12.86
06-20-08: 12.81
06-23-08: 12.85 - day of announcement
06-24-08: 12.85
06-25-08: 13.39
06-26-08: 13.20
06-27-08: 13.64

The day before till the day after the announcement there is not much change, after that the stock is even rising.

It's probably still too early to call, although investors seem to be at the very least 'neutral' about it so far and not negative at all.

•••
johntv said:
These are the stock prices of Marchex, who owns over 200,000 domain names, mainly all .com, for the last 10 days:

06-16-08: 12.61
06-17-08: 12.53
06-18-08: 12.42
06-19-08: 12.86
06-20-08: 12.81
06-23-08: 12.85 - day of announcement
06-24-08: 12.85
06-25-08: 13.39
06-26-08: 13.20
06-27-08: 13.64

The day before till the day after the announcement there is not much change, after that the stock is even rising.

It's probably still too early to call, although investors seem to be at the very least 'neutral' about it so far and not negative at all.
Very interesting post!

Thanks for sharing, rep added :tu:

•••
•••
I'm kind of neutral about this whole thing, but I'd love to see .sucks and .nsfw implemented sometime in the future. If .sucks ever comes out, I hope the owner of the TLD bans all corporations from registering. :laugh:

If this scheme becomes a success in a few years, I actually think it could help exts such as .name finally become viable! Wouldn't that be a hoot. :o

Last edited:
•••
One thing I am certain of - this is not good news for anyone with existing domain name portfolios. Echoing someone else's post in this thread, any registration or purchasing dollars flowing into these new extensions instead of the current options is money lost to the existing registries and domain holders.

Don't kid yourself to thing that .com is immune or will somehow benefit.

I don't understand why they are doing this though. Surely some 'powerhouse' extensions along these lines already exists like .travel, .pro and .name and these have clearly failed. Confusion will be absolutely rife. It's crazy policy IMHO

•••
netfleet said:
I don't understand why they are doing this though.
It's plain and simple:

Money, money, money.

The new tld concept targets corporations who will spend hundreds of millions (if not billions) to get their marks.

•••
netfleet said:
'powerhouse' extensions along these lines already exist like .travel, .pro and .name and these have clearly failed.
Exactly, clearly failed!

Totally and utterly went down the gurgler, so what does icann, want to do? It wants to try to revive a dead and 'decaying' horse

Last edited:
•••
netfleet said:
Surely some 'powerhouse' extensions along these lines already exists like .travel, .pro and .name and these have clearly failed.

.name was always going to fail but the only reason .travel & .pro have not done that well is because of the $100 registration and other requirements that the average person will not bother with. If they had been available for under $10 like most domains then it could have been totally different, especially .travel.

•••
Exactly! Hopefully, the dust will settle quickly and the shakeout will be minimal.

NameCharger said:
It's plain and simple:

Money, money, money.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back